• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Your words were "astonishingly bad". It's like people applied the "below 7/10 = terrible" review scale to all their opinions. There's really bad character design out there in the world, this ain't it.
Thor looks shockingly bad. How they thought that model was worth showing on stage at e3 for their second biggest game of 2020...

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should have clarified and said astonishingly bad from what I was expecting. I was hoping it would be something closer to Spidey PS4 good and not closer to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite bad.
Sure, don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled with the default designs they have. But people acting like they're "terrible" is a bit nonsense. They're just not great designs.

Thor looks shockingly bad. How they thought that model was worth showing on stage at e3 for their second biggest game of 2020...
Looking at it as someone that does 3d models/characters Thor is very competent. Design/art direction I can understand taking issue with but again "shockingly bad" is a bit much.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled with the default designs they have. But people acting like they're "terrible" is a bit nonsense. They're just not great designs.
Cap is the one that really made me double take, honestly. I could take Thor and Iron Man looking the way they are but I legit think that's a bad Cap design

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Looking at it as someone that does 3d models/characters Thor is very competent. Design/art direction I can understand taking issue with but again "shockingly bad" is a bit much.
Biggest problem is the hair and beard, which is even worse given how good hair has looked for CD and Eidos.

brandog

Nov 19, 2017
I've watched this trailer so many times trying to catch on to what everyone is so furious over, and I still think it looks pretty good.

It might be a botched reveal since there's very little gameplay included here, but really outside of that and Black Widow's strange character model, I only get more excited to see more. The overreactions here are real.

deejay8595

Oct 30, 2017
We didn't see any gameplay. There supposed to be a playable version on the E3 showfloor today? I won't judge based off of a cinematic trailer. I'm actually excited about this.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cap is the one that really made me double take, honestly. I could take Thor and Iron Man looking the way they are but I legit think that's a bad Cap design
Readability wise he's instantly recognizable as Cap. I personally wouldn't go that disconnected kevlar route if I were to design Cap from the ground up in a new thing but within its own design it seems decent. I think a big issue is going that route with an Avengers game. He sticks out way more with a design like that when compared to Iron Man tech or Asgard outfits. If you did something like a Captain America version of Batman: Origins it makes more sense if the design is consistent within its own world. If we saw an extended look of just Cap on the Hellicarrier fighting those goons or who we assume is Taskmaster I think it would make more sense visually since the outfits are more along the same style. And if you go back and watch the footage of him fighting the two guys on the ship's bridge I think? it looks absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
vKhwlZA.jpg

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Well to be honest I wasn't expecting too much but I kinda liked the trailer.

And yeah the faces of the heroes are not the best.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Did I dream it or did they say that they were going to show off gameplay at their booth? That should be public, right?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm guessing it's been covered already ad eternum (not reading 36 pages lmao), but the problem is not just the faces looking really bland, it's the fact that they have a very clear MCU look going on, and that makes everything feel cheap and like one of those "we didn't have the actors' likeness rights" situations.

Which shouldn't happen here as this is not the MCU, and they have a plethora of media and comics to pull inspiration from. As a whole, if I were to look past that, I like Bruce (but, again, he looks like diet Ruffalo, kinda) and long-haired Tony (he looks awful otherwise). Thor is alright, but bland; same for Cap. Natasha looks weird imo.

The visuals are something else, though. Like damn if this is actually how it's going to look.
i believe they did, and yes
I hope that's it, then.

Although you'd have to wonder why they didn't show any gameplay (that isn't a split of a second) in the conference and instead chose two awkward scenes just because.

Very excited honestly. I hope it's a perfectly acceptable single-player game (in its story's length and quality) and that the GaaS is as optional as it can be, as that's not my thing. Although co-op could be really fun.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's been covered already ad eternum (not reading 36 pages lmao), but the problem is not just the faces looking really bland, it's the fact that they have a very clear MCU look going on, and that makes everything feel cheap and like one of those "we didn't have the actors' likeness rights" situations.

Which shouldn't happen here as this is not the MCU, and they have a plethora of media and comics to pull inspiration from. As a whole, if I were to look past that, I like Bruce (but, again, he looks like diet Ruffalo, kinda) and long-haired Tony (he looks awful otherwise). Thor is alright, but bland; same for Cap. Natasha looks weird imo.

The visuals are something else, though. Like damn if this is actually how it's going to look.

I hope that's it, then.

Although you'd have to wonder why they didn't show any gameplay (that isn't a split of a second) in the conference and instead chose two awkward scenes just because.
yeah its like gears 5 that weird video at the conference then just after the conference ended there's actualy gameplay of the game, weird choices.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
yeah its like gears 5 that weird video at the conference then just after the conference ended there's actualy gameplay of the game, weird choices.
Yeah. Although I don't think Gears 5 has gotten gameplay this E3. That would be the Escape mode. But then again, that also had a CG trailer instead of a gameplay one.

I guess S-E wants to spread out the conversation by showing a day or so later some gameplay, if they're actually doing that.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
The character design and visual fidelity are...rough, to say the least. Glad they have almost one more year until launch.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
While it's obviously modified (and falls in line with his Merasmus-like roles) I do really like his role in GW2:

(Same character but without any voice modulation)

He actually also voices the Player character (if they're Human, Male), and while it's mostly his normal voice, the way he tends to say things makes him at least not feel like Nathan Drake.

Ultimately there is probably more range to be found but never asked for. At some point they're hired because the developers want a specific voice rather than seeing what other voice they could do to fit.

That is a good performance. Yeah, I think it's fair to say the developers wanting his natural voice and how prolific he is has colored my perception of how well he blends into a role. I'm just so familiar with it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe Deus Ex died for this generic looking crap

But then again we have Cyberpunk now which looks like its rendering these deus ex sequels moot too...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand... What's so bad about this?

Its just bad. Don't you know bad when you see it? And its not just that they are too MCU, but also too Comic, and generally not inspired. Also, look at that hair, that not how hair should look... /s

I dunno man it looks mostly fine to me...

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get how they're gonna deal with the power difference for characters like Black Widow if this is a game that allows for any hero to be in the mission.