Marvel's Avengers unveiled w/ Trailer + Details Inside (May 15, 2020, Story-Driven, 4 Player Co-Op, GaaS, Eidos x Crystal Dynamics, PS4/X1/PC/Stadia)

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they either awkwardly shoved GaaS elements into a single player game, or awkwardly shoved single player stuff into a GaaS game. I wish them the best (pls fix those character designs though) but I'm wondering if they were overly ambitious with a game that would already need to be massive in scale.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin what? You can only play the character you want if you're playing multiplayer, and then only if somebody else isn't also playing them?
The single player campaign missions are designed for specific characters

When playing multiplayer, the same character can't be used by two teammates

None of this sounds unreasonable to me...

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite how this is going to be a live service game, really confused about that. Just seems like a linear action game with some coop. Are they going to constantly adding new campaigns?

Reyes

Oct 25, 2017
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
Sounds good so far

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
Replying

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Fuckin what? You can only play the character you want if you're playing multiplayer, and then only if somebody else isn't also playing them?
I imagine they will have some sort of mode or endgame or whatever outside of the campaign that allows us to pick the character we want.
given they are trying to do a GAAS.

Because if not, why would I even invest my time in this?

we need to know more. much more. E3 would have been a perfect time to show us but what do I know?

Psychoward

Nov 7, 2017
But games like that don’t have the physical difference that exists between black widow and the other Avengers. The same issue exists if Hawkeye is in the game too.

Like, how do you handle the same enemies with guns peppering the other Avengers with bullets also attacking Black Widow? A story can just have her managing to stay out of danger zones, but how does that work in a co-op game that allows people to choose heroes?
Idk same way the MUA games handle it. It's just a video game.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
All the impressions from people that saw gameplay are positive, so I think y’all might be reading too much into the bullet points.

As for whether it’s GaaS or not. It’s a mix. They have a narrative that most likely will have a definitive beginning, middle, and end, but also be able to spawn many different things off of it.

From what the previous rumor(that turned out to be true) said, is that a crashed Helicarrier will serve as the hub, and from there you can either choose to go out and play through the story missions, or go to multiplayer, branches off stuff.

It all sounds cohesive to me.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
Focus on West Coast Avengers and don't have Julia Carpenter or Century? Get out of here

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems like they have a linear story and you can visit areas for side activities.

The structure does seem to be like Destiny.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I feel like I'm going to be torn on this for awhile. I feel like the gameplay should be fun and fine and for as much focus as CD is putting into saying how narrative focused the game is, maybe the story is going to end up quite good, although I do wonder how they'll add to it with new areas and characters showing up. I hope the additional content feels more like expansions (to the story) and not just 'new area to fight more enemies". Graphically it was fine enough in my opinion even though the character models need some touching up.

Stellar

Oct 26, 2017
[Hidden content]
I mean they just really need to show gameplay. Wasn't this playable at E3? They really couldn't take 2 minutes of gamepaly footage or something?

Nov 14, 2017
[Hidden content]
Thanks for the info

Still torn on this game. The trailer was only okay but I'm hoping I see the gameplay demo online at some point this week.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
Yeah, still confused about exactly how the GaaS elements work in the game. This makes it even more confusing.

HotHamBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Thor looks straight up like a cosplayer made a costume out of grandma's fine silver dishware

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes, indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
Hope it works out well. Has any footage found its way online yet?

Camel

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
[Hidden content]
You should add that the combat designer worked for 5 years on God of War and the Director co-directed Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those tweets from the page translator, lol:
We are received by Crystal Dynamics for Avengers. It is a priori Arkham / Spidey co-op in fact. In missions in corridors / arenas. Thor beats thugs armed with guns and shields (??????)
Then a railshoot phase with Iron Man on the Golden Gate Bridge. Feeling Anthem impossible to hunt. But in corridors and arenas.
We go to Hulk, who does the same thing. The writing of punchlines is very alarming, woah.
Cape does the same thing with a shield. Then Romanoff fucks a sequence of QTE and a bossfight rinsed against Tasmaster. We have not seen a co-op, it's just solo scenes chained by changing point of view.
Ok so a core campaign solo in corridors to learn the characters, then an open world to continue between friends in GaaS mode after. We only saw flashes of this part there. It's ... I'll have to look for the right words actually: s

Vic_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they either awkwardly shoved GaaS elements into a single player game, or awkwardly shoved single player stuff into a GaaS game. I wish them the best (pls fix those character designs though) but I'm wondering if they were overly ambitious with a game that would already need to be massive in scale.
They probably started out making a normal single player game, and then decided to turn it into a GaaS style game later. Which is probably why they have a ton of other studios helping out on it now.

I like the GaaS idea in my head, but I am still really curious how it will work in this game. Really curious what they have planned for replayable content. These types of games really live or die based on quantity of activities and I really hope they are paying attention to all the mistakes Anthem made lol.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
[Hidden content]
Wonder how much content the ‘continuing’ updates took away from the original game lol

Either way looks like it could be pretty awesome. Playing as the actual heroes is what I wanted. Was worried we’d be making our own ‘hero’ again like every hero game ever

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure about the decision to cast Troy Baker and Nolan North for Banner and Stark when there are already good VAs who have voiced these characters in the cartoons and/or MvC. It's weird since Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey are reprising their roles as Thor/Black Widow, and they've been voicing their characters for years.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm really hoping this is successful, just so they can make it to the more niche characters.

I'm also hoping there'll be changeable skins for the characters. I'd like to rock Ragnarok Thor, Ultimate Captain America, Mr. Fixit, and Iron Man 2020, rather than those base version goobers.

Grunge_Hamster

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully that doesn't mean they are doing by themselves. Since, y'know, Tomb Raider...

They have worked with Gail Simone in the past, hope they got some consulting.

Basically small single player linear levels, open world for GaaS with friends. Didn't like what they saw but want to find the right words to express it.
Sounds like a high-budget Lego Marvel game.

Which could be fun if there is variety.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the decision to cast Troy Baker and Nolan North for Banner and Stark when there are already good VAs who have voiced these characters in the cartoons and/or MvC. It's weird since Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey are reprising their roles as Thor/Black Widow, and they've been voicing their characters for years.
I think they are trying to emulate the familiarity the movies have with the actors, which the game doesn't/can't have with the likenesses. They're probably the voices the general gaming audience is most likely to recognize.

JaseC64

Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
At this point it's like they get one of those 3 or 4 VAs, their friends just jump into the project as well.

2n2

Oct 25, 2017
I know almost every Marvel game get criticized for character design, but I really agree they look bad here.
Wish they didn't try to go for the movie feel if getting the actor likenesses was not an option (understandably).

They remind me of create-a-characters or PS Home avatars.