Marvel's Avengers unveiled w/ Trailer + Details Inside (May 15, 2020, Story-Driven, 4 Player Co-Op, GaaS, Eidos x Crystal Dynamics, PS4/X1/PC/Stadia)

Oct 31, 2017
Ultimately the Spider-Man of the PS4 game is Sony's. It's not the same Spidey whose appearing in MAU3.
The way copyright work in these instances is that the license owner (i.e. Marvel) would own the story and all the characters and their depictions therein. Sony, the publisher, would own the game code and possibly some elements in the game (i.e. visual or audio).

Last edited:

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'm in.

Lots of people complaining about how they look... was there this much whining when Marvel's Spider-man's Peter Parker face was revealed to not be Tom Holland?

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in.

Lots of people complaining about how they look... was there this much whining when Marvel's Spider-man's Peter Parker face was revealed to not be Tom Holland?
You can tell how many people here don't normally play superhero games. Nothing different happening here from all the other Marvel games, yet here you see complaints aplenty.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Is there supposed to be a gameplay demonstration of this game this week? I thought I recall hearing about it but it seems like that's not the case.

Oct 25, 2017
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
Alright lets c it

Oct 31, 2017
What are the facts about all this? I'd fucking hate, hate, hate it if Spidey would actually be a exclusive hero on PS4. Gamers on Xbox platforms missing out on such a iconic Marvel character would be total horseshit.
Fact is Marvel owns everything regarding Spider-man rights sans live action TV shows, animated tv shows over 44 minutes in length, and Live Action/animated movie rights. They also don't own any of the already released SM movies. Everything else, they own. This can be 100% validated on the 2011 amended agreement between Sony and Marvel where Disney bought the remaining 25% merch rights from Sony while selling participation in movies. The only further amendment after this was in 2015 and while there were a few changes there nothing significant enough to change the core of the agreement, as far as public available information is concerned.

The confusion here is that Insomniac's game is exclusive to PS4. IGs CHOSE to work on SM, they could have chosen any other character and that game would have still been exclusive to the PS4. Iron man VR is also exclusive to PS4. Marvel has said they are happy with the partnership and plan to continue, so expecting another SM game to be exclusive to the PS4 is fair (unless MS or Google come with the cash).

The character, though, is in no way shape or form exclusive or owned by Sony. That's conjecture because Sony has held the SM movie license for ~20 years and used to own ~50% of the merch license to the character. Marvel can do with him as they please. They could have SM be Stadia or XBox exclusive and there's nothing Sony could do about it.

While I would be surprised to see it happen there's the possibility that SE (with Marvel's approval presumably) reached a deal to have SM exclusive to the PS4, so keep that in mind.

TheNextWorld

May 18, 2019
I am so excited for this game. But holy hell is the first half of next year packed. My wallet is gonna suffer and I'm gonna wish I had more time on my hands.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
If I have to buy the PS4 version just for Spider-Man I'm going to pretty mad... I'll still do it, but I'll be mad about it 🙁

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If I have to buy the PS4 version just for Spider-Man I'm going to pretty mad... I'll still do it, but I'll be mad about it 🙁
Buy it for Spider-Man PS4 too, it’s fucking brilliant and worth buying a PS4 Pro alone.

Glad to have an article that explains the "can't choose your character in single player missions" thing. There are story missions tailored to each character, and the co-op missions where you can choose your character can also be played single player.
I think the game still needs lots of work and I hope Square and Marvel understand that. Take as much time as it’s needed to give us a game that lives up to the hype around the Avengers name.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
[Hidden content]
Let’s have a look.

Carbine789

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
Sounds good tbh...

Apr 25, 2018
I feel bad cause the characters look bad and they didnt show any gameplay

and they needed to do was have one of those things go right for people to be on broad from the start

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Catching up on the Coliseum panel now. It's getting frustrating to hear them explain how it plays when a nice video of how it works would be great. Damn near sounds like they don't know what they want the game to be.

Jun 4, 2019
Fact is Marvel owns everything regarding Spider-man rights sans live action TV shows, animated tv shows over 44 minutes in length, and Live Action/animated movie rights. They also don't own any of the already released SM movies. Everything else, they own. This can be 100% validated on the 2011 amended agreement between Sony and Marvel where Disney bought the remaining 25% merch rights from Sony while selling participation in movies. The only further amendment after this was in 2015 and while there were a few changes there nothing significant enough to change the core of the agreement, as far as public available information is concerned.

The confusion here is that Insomniac's game is exclusive to PS4. IGs CHOSE to work on SM, they could have chosen any other character and that game would have still been exclusive to the PS4. Iron man VR is also exclusive to PS4. Marvel has said they are happy with the partnership and plan to continue, so expecting another SM game to be exclusive to the PS4 is fair (unless MS or Google come with the cash).

The character, though, is in no way shape or form exclusive or owned by Sony. That's conjecture because Sony has held the SM movie license for ~20 years and used to own ~50% of the merch license to the character. Marvel can do with him as they please. They could have SM be Stadia or XBox exclusive and there's nothing Sony could do about it.

While I would be surprised to see it happen there's the possibility that SE (with Marvel's approval presumably) reached a deal to have SM exclusive to the PS4, so keep that in mind.
Thanks for the clarification. I really don't see how it would benefit SE at all to do that, but I guess you never know. Let's hope the exclusive things are something else, no idea what but please let the hero's stay available for everyone.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The Hulk is visibly the most polished character in the game so far, and legitimately looks fun to play, as he seems to have an affinity for picking up enemies. Hulk can grab an enemy and use the hapless soldier as a weapon to swat at other foes. He can also pick up two enemies at once, then slam them together to take both out. As the bridge begins to collapse, Hulk bounces from one small combat zone to the next through. The player has a hand in this mobility, and must complete surprising (and short) platforming sequences. In one area Hulk may just need to leap a good 50 feet into the air to reach a distant platform (which he can slam down on to smash every foe on it). In another section, he may be required to wall run, but not like you would expect. While the surface looks like something someone would run along with their feet, Hulk just grabs it, bends the steel a little, then pushes off of it to reach an adjacent wall or surface.
"Every hero has their own skill tree," Amos says. "They have a mix-and-match of skills that you level up through the game, when you invest in those heroes, we give you the chance to say how you customize your character skill tree. So we'll talk more details about that later, but that idea of your Widow can be different than my Widow; customizing looks, customizing skill trees, and customizing gear as well. We have gear that's per hero, and you'll be able to go out and find all it. You can say, 'Hey, you have a completely different set of stuff than i do."
Amos didn’t answer many of our questions (including if four people could all be the Hulk), and instead wanted the demo to speak for itself. While the game looks a little rough at this point, the scale of this experience cannot be denied. The amount of action unfolding at once is impressive, and I really want to see just how much damage Hulk can deal. We unfortunately have to wait until next year to see how the game turns out. Avengers is currently slated to launch on May 15 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Stadia.
These are the points of the article that most grabbed me. What I think is that Square and Marvel need to let CD work around the edges and it will be fine. I like what I’m reading so far.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
[Hidden content]
Crystal Dynamics did a great game that had the story jumping between characters in various episodes.

It was called "Legacy of Kain: Defiance"

I'm willing to hope that this turns out all right. But I'll need to see gameplay, and I don't see myself rushing to buy this on release.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
What do you want people to do? If you don't want to see people form opinions and expectations, both of which change when new information comes to light, what's the point of being in a discussion thread? Why not just stick to a preview article?
So I am prohibited of mentioning that we shouldnt assume that the whole game Will be like that section?

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I wonder if someone can play stealthy as Widow sneaking behind enemy lines going after objectives or whatever while other players fight the enemies.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the game has linear single player missions that are much more scripted, and more open co-op missions that you can play with friends or AI.

Easy enough.

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
replying

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don’t agree that characters should sound and look more like the MCU actors. That way it would seem like a movie tie in, this is their own avengers story. And the voice cast is good enough that I want them to give their own interpretation of the characters.
What is off is that character models aren’t that good and look to belong in a cutscene from a generation back. That and the main difference from the MCU is the scope. We’re at a point where we’re used to seeing dozens of avengers on the same scene, and here we are back to the core and they did nothing to show us that their story will be meaningful.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The thing is they seem to have taken the likeness of most of the costumes from the movies but not the characters. They should have went more comic book style and that would have looked way better.