Marvel's Avengers unveiled w/ Trailer + Details Inside (May 15, 2020, Story-Driven, 4 Player Co-Op, GaaS, Eidos x Crystal Dynamics, PS4/X1/PC/Stadia)

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

A Brazilian gaming youtuber is reporting what he saw at E3, he describes that you can call it a "linear beat ‘em up with quick time events", "think something between Uncharted and Batman Arkham, quite linear and full of combat".

Very excited to see the gameplay and all these comments are getting me hyped as fuck. Also, this:

Harlequin

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised because this game just looks idk. Like it looks like a B level title.
I mean, if Crystal's recent Tomb Raider games are anything to go by, that's exactly what it will be. Pretty graphics, great production values, technically sound but artistically confused, derivative, visionless and badly written.

CryptiK

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how people are using the "So what its not the actors from the movies". Thats not the point. The point is look at Thor, look at Black WIdow they look fucking stupid. The hair on all the characters looks fucking stupid. Yet people making excuses because "its not the movie characters".

VHS

May 8, 2019
I really hate how people are using the "So what its not the actors from the movies". Thats not the point. The point is look at Thor, look at Black WIdow they look fucking stupid. The hair on all the characters looks fucking stupid. Yet people making excuses because "its not the movie characters".
It's people being wilfully ignorant. They are clearly aping the MCU style. Just poorly.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
cap and thor just looking flabby and sick, all these people saw that shit and though it was ok?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Totally.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's people being wilfully ignorant. They are clearly aping the MCU style. Just poorly.
Getting inspired by everything these characters represent and crafting their own spin on it is exactly what they’re seemingly going for here and also the reason that Spider-Man was so amazing.

I'm really really concerned of crystal dynamic heading the story.... I don't like tomb raider story at all...
It’s not really CD, it’s Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and that one was pretty fucking great. He seems very earnest and committed to make the game the best way possible, I wouldn’t be surprised if some characters models are upgraded in the future. What has me more excited tho is that the guy responsible for the combat is the same one that worked in God of War, and everyone that saw the demo praised the action. They still have a lot of time to work the kinks.

CryptiK

Oct 27, 2017
Getting inspired by everything these characters represent and crafting their own spin on it is exactly what they’re seemingly going for here and also the reason that Spider-Man was so amazing.
There are two distinctly different issues.

1. Their spin: The costumes etc.
2. Their Faces and their Hair tech.

2. is the major issue for me at the moment. Yeah their costumes look garbage, but they can be changed with other gear. However their faces and hair tech? My god its actually terrible. It looks so puffy and frizzy and complete unlife like. The faces and facial animations are so bad that you can tell its so jarring when the voice actors talk as them.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There are two distinctly different issues.

1. Their spin: The costumes etc.
2. Their Faces and their Hair tech.

2. is the major issue for me at the moment. Yeah their costumes look garbage, but they can be changed with other gear. However their faces and hair tech? My god its actually terrible. It looks so puffy and frizzy and complete unlife like. The faces and facial animations are so bad that you can tell its so jarring when the voice actors talk as them.
They seem committed and listening to the fans feedback. I think both these things will end up being addressed. Will they make more like the MCU actors? Fuck no, but I’d say they still have time to work out all the kinks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to send the VAs back to the booth and have them actually try to act. All of the main Avengers' actors are just doing their regular speaking voices. Why the hell would you pay Laura Bailey to be Black Widow and then ask her to just talk like regular Laura Bailey?

Harlequin

Oct 27, 2017
It’s not really CD, it’s Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and that one was pretty fucking great. He seems very earnest and committed to make the game the best way possible, I wouldn’t be surprised if some characters models are upgraded in the future. What has me more excited tho is that the guy responsible for the combat is the same one that worked in God of War, and everyone that saw the demo praised the action. They still have a lot of time to work the kinks.
They also had Rhianna Pratchett working on two of the Tomb Raider reboot games. She can write and write well but their approach to story-telling and writing seems to have made it impossible to create a good story. She just didn't have enough control/freedom to actually come up with something good. It's very possible that they've changed their approach to storytelling for the Avengers game but I'd caution against merely assuming the story will be good because they've got a good writer attached to it.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
They also had Rhianna Pratchett working on two of the Tomb Raider reboot games. She can write and write well but their approach to story-telling and writing seems to have made it impossible to create a good story. She just didn't have enough control/freedom to actually come up with something good. It's very possible that they've changed their approach to storytelling for the Avengers game but I'd caution against merely assuming the story will be good because they've got a good writer attached to it.
They are selling this as story first since yesterday. The story they are going for and what Shaun is saying it’s getting me quite intrigued and the creative choice of killing Cap in the reveal trailer is bold, and sets the theme of who they are going to avenge, besides the people of San Francisco. While I get the concern with DP, based in the reveal trailer and how amazing Marvel Spider-Man’s story was, I’m not worried in that aspect right now. They need to focus on upgrading the graphics and addressed the negative feedback of some character models, and I think this is just too big of an investment for them not trying their best to.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the guardians game is like. Apparently it’s nextgen now, hmm.
I feel like it'll end up being a third person shooter, most of the current well known guardians rock guns so it'll probably be something like that with some individual skills for each guardian( so star lord can fly, gamora has a sword, rocket is with groot doin melee stuff etc etc)

Harlequin

Oct 27, 2017
They are selling this as story first since yesterday. The story they are going for and what Shaun is saying it’s getting me quite intrigued and the creative choice of killing Cap in the reveal trailer is bold, and sets the theme of who they are going to avenge, besides the people of San Francisco. While I get the concern with DP, based in the reveal trailer and how amazing Marvel Spider-Man’s story was, I’m not worried in that aspect right now. They need to focus on upgrading the graphics and addressed the negative feedback of some character models, and I think this is just too big of an investment for them not trying their best to.
I mean, fair enough, but for the record, they did also make a big deal about how important and how great the story was going to be in their TR reboot games and always acted like they were really proud of the storytelling when it was quite frankly very lacklustre. (I don't doubt that they were actually proud of it, I merely doubt their storytelling sensibilities.)

remz

Oct 25, 2017
Reading reactions from gameplay demos makes me eyes roll. why not just show a public one?

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Do we have any indication of when development started ?
I mean they didn’t get the deal until 2017 so development time might not have been long.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's a relief to hear, I do like the story cutscene we've seen so far like Tony and Bruce scene. character model is just about the only thing I'm not into it, mainly everything about Thor, Iron-Man helmet, Cap and Black Widow face, less issue with Cap since when he put the helmet on, he looks fine. Hulk and Banner looks great

Dartastic

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take it to heart and do a complete redesign of the entire cast because right now 99% of all discussion I've seen over this game is people's dislike of the designs. It's giving me Sonic movie vibes.
Iron Man's head just looks way too small it's so weird. All of these have dumb design decisions going on.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take it to heart and do a complete redesign of the entire cast because right now 99% of all discussion I've seen over this game is people's dislike of the designs. It's giving me Sonic movie vibes.
Yeah, at the end of the Simpsons panel that was ultimately about nothing they made a joke that they were working on an Avengers game where the characters would look even less like the Avengers than in a certain other upcoming game.

It's in the zeitgeist.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

There is an interview with IGN and they are saying that the acting was done with all mo cap, in a set they built. I’m actually weirded out with the voice acting complaints, I think it’s pretty fucking great and a complete different take on these characters. Thor for example is a lot more serious and like his comics persona than his MCU persona. Here is the link for the interview:

It’s around the 05:33:00 mark. I don’t want them to ape the MCU take of the characters, and so far they are clearly not doing that.

Marvel just posted this:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Q&A video posted

- There's a base of operations.
- There is leveling up, they have their character specific skill trees.
- My Cap could be more focused on melee while yours is more ranged focused.
- Gear sets (Probably intended to mean there's gear rather than set bonuses ala Diablo etc)
- Can customize via costumes, skills, gear, some heroes might have a helmet with X costume but not Y costume.
- Missions have replayability via character chosen. A ground based hero will be different than someone that can fly. "Completely different experience"
- Beta for everyone (early on PS4)
- "Will there be any improvements to graphic quality?" "This is pre-alpha we're going to continue improving"
- Is this open world? "Game was way too big to be one open world so we separated it into sections. Went for variety instead of 1 big area." Different regions will be released as game goes on post-launch.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Didn't think about it before but the second worst thing about the exclusive stuff is that it makes cross play a lot more unlikely.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Q&A video posted

- There's a base of operations.
- There is leveling up, they have their character specific skill trees.
- My Cap could be more focused on melee while yours is more ranged focused.
- Gear sets
- Can customize costumes, skills, gear, some heroes might have a helmet with X costume but not Y costume.
- Missions have replayability via character chosen. A ground based hero will be different than someone that can fly. "Completely different experience"
- Beta for everyone (early on PS4)
- "Will there be any improvements to graphic quality?" "This is pre-alpha we're going to continue improving"
- Is this open world? "Game was way too big to be one open world so we separated it into sections. Went for variety instead of 1 big area." Different regions will be released as game goes on post-launch.
EXCELLENT news and clearing up a lot of things. They seem clearly committed on making a slam dunk and I’m honestly confident they will pull it off.

DrBo42, maybe this deserves it’s own thread, in the light that there is a lot of people complaining about things they have addressed in this Q&A.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EXCELLENT news and clearing up a lot of things. They seem clearly committed on making a slam dunk and I’m honestly confident they will pull it off.

DrBo42, maybe this deserves it’s own thread, in the light that there is a lot of people complaining about things they have addressed in this Q&A.
If you want to, go for it. I can throw one together real quick if you don't want to.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Can one play the game totally single player offline rather than online?

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.

How does multiplayer work?

We have a really robust campaign that you can play through. You're going to play in different levels as different superheroes to further the narrative. We're going to have a base of operations that you're going to be able to go off and play multiplayer levels or come back to the campaign.

There's a huge world to explore. From that base of operation you go through many different places. We're excited to show you all the cool places you can go to. It was way too big to complain in one space, it's multiple different areas and takes the Avengers all over the place.

Will there be a skill tree for certain characters? Will there be leveling up?

There's absolutely leveling up. Each character gets their own skill tree. What makes it cool is the way you level your character may be different than the way I level mine. I can't go into a lot of details right now, but imagine this: your Captain America can do melee and range, you might focus more on range, I might focus more on melee, my gear set could be different, my skills could be different and my outfit could be different as well. When you play you get an experience tailored to what you like.

Could you go into the ways you can customize your hero?

You can customize your hero with costumes. We've got lots of costumes to choose from for your specific hero, you can customize your skills, and the gear that you play with.

Some heroes that in some instances don't have a helmet with their costume might have a helmet with another costume. You never know, there's a lot of variety.

While it's our own take on the Avengers, we're collaborating with Marvel directly to make these characters come to life so they're going to feel familiar and you're going to see that they play the way that you'd expect.

Is it going to be story driven or a GAAS thing?

It's absolutely a story driven game and it's going to keep evolving even after launch. A cool thing about this game is you're going to see new heroes being released, you're going to see new regions at no additional fee.

Is this game going to offer replayability?

Yeah, there's places where you can run through a mission with one character and then play it again with another character for a different experience. The Iron Man and Hulk experience might be pretty different.

Is the beta only for the PS4?

Beta's for everybody. Early beta for PS4.

Will there be any improvements on the graphics quality in the game before launch?

What you saw in the demo was pre-alpha. It's going to keep improving.

Is this open world?

The game was too big to contain in one open world, so we divided it into reigions. We went for variety instead of one big city. We're going to be releasing different regions for free in the years to come.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can one play the game totally single player offline rather than online?

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.

How does multiplayer work?

We have a really robust campaign that you can play through. You're going to play in different levels as different superheroes to further the narrative. We're going to have a base of operations that you're going to be able to go off and play multiplayer levels or come back to the campaign.

There's a huge world to explore. From that base of operation you go through many different places. We're excited to show you all the cool places you can go to. It was way too big to complain in one space, it's multiple different areas and takes the Avengers all over the place.

Will there be a skill tree for certain characters? Will there be leveling up?

There's absolutely leveling up. Each character gets their own skill tree. What makes it cool is the way you level your character may be different than the way I level mine. I can't go into a lot of details right now, but imagine this: your Captain America can do melee and range, you might focus more on range, I might focus more on melee, my gear set could be different, my skills could be different and my outfit could be different as well. When you play you get an experience tailored to what you like.

Could you go into the ways you can customize your hero?

You can customize your hero with costumes. We've got lots of costumes to choose from for your specific hero, you can customize your skills, and the gear that you play with.

Some heroes that in some instances don't have a helmet with their costume might have a helmet with another costume. You never know, there's a lot of variety.

While it's our own take on the Avengers, we're collaborating with Marvel directly to make these characters come to life so they're going to feel familiar and you're going to see that they play the way that you'd expect.

Is it going to be story driven or a GAAS thing?

It's absolutely a story driven game and it's going to keep evolving even after launch. A cool thing about this game is you're going to see new heroes being released, you're going to see new regions at no additional fee.

Is this game going to offer replayability?

Yeah, there's places where you can run through a mission with one character and then play it again with another character for a different experience. The Iron Man and Hulk experience might be pretty different.

Is the beta only for the PS4?

Beta's for everybody. Early beta for PS4.

Will there be any improvements on the graphics quality in the game before launch?

What you saw in the demo was pre-alpha. It's going to keep improving.

Is this open world?

The game was too big to contain in one open world, so we divided it into reigions. We went for variety instead of one big city. We're going to be releasing different regions for free in the years to come.
Your transcript is way better than mine, stealing for the dedicated thread lol.

Private Demo Impressions

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The demo looks really fun and each of the characters felt pretty distinct even just while watching.

They have a lot of dev time left so can’t wait to see where they end up.

Should hold off on your doubt until they are ready to show the gameplay cause it seems like it’ll be a metric load of fun. I had a grin on my face throughout the gameplay.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The demo looks really fun and each of the characters felt pretty distinct even just while watching.

Should hold off on your doubt until they are ready to show the gameplay cause it seems like it’ll be a metric load of fun. I had a grin on my face throughout the gameplay.
The sound of the demo level setup and how it switches gameplay/setpieces to each character is pretty cool. Especially since you can still hear what's going on with the other team members over the comms during the different sections.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

This is excellent to hear. Still holding out hope for more Spider-Man DLCs, btw. It’s my 2018 GOTY and I’m replaying it on y brand new oled 4K and holy shit y’all made a masterpiece. I will be always be thankful for that game.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Thor’s hair. What the fuck. I could almost give the bland designs a pass but every shot of him is gross.