• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
Thanks for the info

Still torn on this game. The trailer was only okay but I'm hoping I see the gameplay demo online at some point this week.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
Yeah, still confused about exactly how the GaaS elements work in the game. This makes it even more confusing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thor looks straight up like a cosplayer made a costume out of grandma's fine silver dishware

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTcvNjkyL2kwMi9hdmVuZ2Vyc2dhbWUuanBn

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes, indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]

Hope it works out well. Has any footage found its way online yet?

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
[Hidden content]

You should add that the combat designer worked for 5 years on God of War and the Director co-directed Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those tweets from the page translator, lol:
We are received by Crystal Dynamics for Avengers. It is a priori Arkham / Spidey co-op in fact. In missions in corridors / arenas. Thor beats thugs armed with guns and shields (??????)
Then a railshoot phase with Iron Man on the Golden Gate Bridge. Feeling Anthem impossible to hunt. But in corridors and arenas.
We go to Hulk, who does the same thing. The writing of punchlines is very alarming, woah.
Cape does the same thing with a shield. Then Romanoff fucks a sequence of QTE and a bossfight rinsed against Tasmaster. We have not seen a co-op, it's just solo scenes chained by changing point of view.
Ok so a core campaign solo in corridors to learn the characters, then an open world to continue between friends in GaaS mode after. We only saw flashes of this part there. It's ... I'll have to look for the right words actually: s

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they either awkwardly shoved GaaS elements into a single player game, or awkwardly shoved single player stuff into a GaaS game. I wish them the best (pls fix those character designs though) but I'm wondering if they were overly ambitious with a game that would already need to be massive in scale.
They probably started out making a normal single player game, and then decided to turn it into a GaaS style game later. Which is probably why they have a ton of other studios helping out on it now.

I like the GaaS idea in my head, but I am still really curious how it will work in this game. Really curious what they have planned for replayable content. These types of games really live or die based on quantity of activities and I really hope they are paying attention to all the mistakes Anthem made lol.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
[Hidden content]
Wonder how much content the 'continuing' updates took away from the original game lol

Either way looks like it could be pretty awesome. Playing as the actual heroes is what I wanted. Was worried we'd be making our own 'hero' again like every hero game ever

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure about the decision to cast Troy Baker and Nolan North for Banner and Stark when there are already good VAs who have voiced these characters in the cartoons and/or MvC. It's weird since Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey are reprising their roles as Thor/Black Widow, and they've been voicing their characters for years.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm really hoping this is successful, just so they can make it to the more niche characters.

I'm also hoping there'll be changeable skins for the characters. I'd like to rock Ragnarok Thor, Ultimate Captain America, Mr. Fixit, and Iron Man 2020, rather than those base version goobers.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Hopefully that doesn't mean they are doing by themselves. Since, y'know, Tomb Raider...

They have worked with Gail Simone in the past, hope they got some consulting.

Basically small single player linear levels, open world for GaaS with friends. Didn't like what they saw but want to find the right words to express it.
Sounds like a high-budget Lego Marvel game.

Which could be fun if there is variety.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the decision to cast Troy Baker and Nolan North for Banner and Stark when there are already good VAs who have voiced these characters in the cartoons and/or MvC. It's weird since Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey are reprising their roles as Thor/Black Widow, and they've been voicing their characters for years.

I think they are trying to emulate the familiarity the movies have with the actors, which the game doesn't/can't have with the likenesses. They're probably the voices the general gaming audience is most likely to recognize.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
At this point it's like they get one of those 3 or 4 VAs, their friends just jump into the project as well.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I know almost every Marvel game get criticized for character design, but I really agree they look bad here.
Wish they didn't try to go for the movie feel if getting the actor likenesses was not an option (understandably).

They remind me of create-a-characters or PS Home avatars.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Making assuptions over one small portion of gameplay of what it seems a heavily scripted scene

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU have spoiled me. Seeing Cap without Evans face and voice, Tony without RDJs face and voice and so on is super weird.

Oct 31, 2017
Ultimately the Spider-Man of the PS4 game is Sony's. It's not the same Spidey whose appearing in MAU3.

The way copyright work in these instances is that the license owner (i.e. Marvel) would own the story and all the characters and their depictions therein. Sony, the publisher, would own the game code and possibly some elements in the game (i.e. visual or audio).

Last edited:

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'm in.

Lots of people complaining about how they look... was there this much whining when Marvel's Spider-man's Peter Parker face was revealed to not be Tom Holland?

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in.

Lots of people complaining about how they look... was there this much whining when Marvel's Spider-man's Peter Parker face was revealed to not be Tom Holland?

You can tell how many people here don't normally play superhero games. Nothing different happening here from all the other Marvel games, yet here you see complaints aplenty.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Is there supposed to be a gameplay demonstration of this game this week? I thought I recall hearing about it but it seems like that's not the case.

Oct 25, 2017
[Hidden content]
Alright lets c it

Oct 31, 2017
What are the facts about all this? I'd fucking hate, hate, hate it if Spidey would actually be a exclusive hero on PS4. Gamers on Xbox platforms missing out on such a iconic Marvel character would be total horseshit.

Fact is Marvel owns everything regarding Spider-man rights sans live action TV shows, animated tv shows over 44 minutes in length, and Live Action/animated movie rights. They also don't own any of the already released SM movies. Everything else, they own. This can be 100% validated on the 2011 amended agreement between Sony and Marvel where Disney bought the remaining 25% merch rights from Sony while selling participation in movies. The only further amendment after this was in 2015 and while there were a few changes there nothing significant enough to change the core of the agreement, as far as public available information is concerned.

The confusion here is that Insomniac's game is exclusive to PS4. IGs CHOSE to work on SM, they could have chosen any other character and that game would have still been exclusive to the PS4. Iron man VR is also exclusive to PS4. Marvel has said they are happy with the partnership and plan to continue, so expecting another SM game to be exclusive to the PS4 is fair (unless MS or Google come with the cash).

The character, though, is in no way shape or form exclusive or owned by Sony. That's conjecture because Sony has held the SM movie license for ~20 years and used to own ~50% of the merch license to the character. Marvel can do with him as they please. They could have SM be Stadia or XBox exclusive and there's nothing Sony could do about it.

While I would be surprised to see it happen there's the possibility that SE (with Marvel's approval presumably) reached a deal to have SM exclusive to the PS4, so keep that in mind.

TheNextWorld

Alt Account
Banned
May 18, 2019
I am so excited for this game. But holy hell is the first half of next year packed. My wallet is gonna suffer and I'm gonna wish I had more time on my hands.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
If I have to buy the PS4 version just for Spider-Man I'm going to pretty mad... I'll still do it, but I'll be mad about it 🙁

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If I have to buy the PS4 version just for Spider-Man I'm going to pretty mad... I'll still do it, but I'll be mad about it 🙁
Buy it for Spider-Man PS4 too, it's fucking brilliant and worth buying a PS4 Pro alone.

Glad to have an article that explains the "can't choose your character in single player missions" thing. There are story missions tailored to each character, and the co-op missions where you can choose your character can also be played single player.
I think the game still needs lots of work and I hope Square and Marvel understand that. Take as much time as it's needed to give us a game that lives up to the hype around the Avengers name.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
[Hidden content]
[Hidden content]

Let's have a look.

[Hidden content]
Sounds good tbh...