• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
I feel bad cause the characters look bad and they didnt show any gameplay

and they needed to do was have one of those things go right for people to be on broad from the start

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Catching up on the Coliseum panel now. It's getting frustrating to hear them explain how it plays when a nice video of how it works would be great. Damn near sounds like they don't know what they want the game to be.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Fact is Marvel owns everything regarding Spider-man rights sans live action TV shows, animated tv shows over 44 minutes in length, and Live Action/animated movie rights. They also don't own any of the already released SM movies. Everything else, they own. This can be 100% validated on the 2011 amended agreement between Sony and Marvel where Disney bought the remaining 25% merch rights from Sony while selling participation in movies. The only further amendment after this was in 2015 and while there were a few changes there nothing significant enough to change the core of the agreement, as far as public available information is concerned.

The confusion here is that Insomniac's game is exclusive to PS4. IGs CHOSE to work on SM, they could have chosen any other character and that game would have still been exclusive to the PS4. Iron man VR is also exclusive to PS4. Marvel has said they are happy with the partnership and plan to continue, so expecting another SM game to be exclusive to the PS4 is fair (unless MS or Google come with the cash).

The character, though, is in no way shape or form exclusive or owned by Sony. That's conjecture because Sony has held the SM movie license for ~20 years and used to own ~50% of the merch license to the character. Marvel can do with him as they please. They could have SM be Stadia or XBox exclusive and there's nothing Sony could do about it.

While I would be surprised to see it happen there's the possibility that SE (with Marvel's approval presumably) reached a deal to have SM exclusive to the PS4, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't see how it would benefit SE at all to do that, but I guess you never know. Let's hope the exclusive things are something else, no idea what but please let the hero's stay available for everyone.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

The Hulk is visibly the most polished character in the game so far, and legitimately looks fun to play, as he seems to have an affinity for picking up enemies. Hulk can grab an enemy and use the hapless soldier as a weapon to swat at other foes. He can also pick up two enemies at once, then slam them together to take both out. As the bridge begins to collapse, Hulk bounces from one small combat zone to the next through. The player has a hand in this mobility, and must complete surprising (and short) platforming sequences. In one area Hulk may just need to leap a good 50 feet into the air to reach a distant platform (which he can slam down on to smash every foe on it). In another section, he may be required to wall run, but not like you would expect. While the surface looks like something someone would run along with their feet, Hulk just grabs it, bends the steel a little, then pushes off of it to reach an adjacent wall or surface.

"Every hero has their own skill tree," Amos says. "They have a mix-and-match of skills that you level up through the game, when you invest in those heroes, we give you the chance to say how you customize your character skill tree. So we'll talk more details about that later, but that idea of your Widow can be different than my Widow; customizing looks, customizing skill trees, and customizing gear as well. We have gear that's per hero, and you'll be able to go out and find all it. You can say, 'Hey, you have a completely different set of stuff than i do."

Amos didn't answer many of our questions (including if four people could all be the Hulk), and instead wanted the demo to speak for itself. While the game looks a little rough at this point, the scale of this experience cannot be denied. The amount of action unfolding at once is impressive, and I really want to see just how much damage Hulk can deal. We unfortunately have to wait until next year to see how the game turns out. Avengers is currently slated to launch on May 15 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Stadia.

These are the points of the article that most grabbed me. What I think is that Square and Marvel need to let CD work around the edges and it will be fine. I like what I'm reading so far.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]

Crystal Dynamics did a great game that had the story jumping between characters in various episodes.

It was called "Legacy of Kain: Defiance"

I'm willing to hope that this turns out all right. But I'll need to see gameplay, and I don't see myself rushing to buy this on release.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What do you want people to do? If you don't want to see people form opinions and expectations, both of which change when new information comes to light, what's the point of being in a discussion thread? Why not just stick to a preview article?

So I am prohibited of mentioning that we shouldnt assume that the whole game Will be like that section?

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I wonder if someone can play stealthy as Widow sneaking behind enemy lines going after objectives or whatever while other players fight the enemies.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the game has linear single player missions that are much more scripted, and more open co-op missions that you can play with friends or AI.

Easy enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]
replying

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree that characters should sound and look more like the MCU actors. That way it would seem like a movie tie in, this is their own avengers story. And the voice cast is good enough that I want them to give their own interpretation of the characters.
What is off is that character models aren't that good and look to belong in a cutscene from a generation back. That and the main difference from the MCU is the scope. We're at a point where we're used to seeing dozens of avengers on the same scene, and here we are back to the core and they did nothing to show us that their story will be meaningful.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The thing is they seem to have taken the likeness of most of the costumes from the movies but not the characters. They should have went more comic book style and that would have looked way better.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

A Brazilian gaming youtuber is reporting what he saw at E3, he describes that you can call it a "linear beat 'em up with quick time events", "think something between Uncharted and Batman Arkham, quite linear and full of combat".

Very excited to see the gameplay and all these comments are getting me hyped as fuck. Also, this:

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised because this game just looks idk. Like it looks like a B level title.
I mean, if Crystal's recent Tomb Raider games are anything to go by, that's exactly what it will be. Pretty graphics, great production values, technically sound but artistically confused, derivative, visionless and badly written.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how people are using the "So what its not the actors from the movies". Thats not the point. The point is look at Thor, look at Black WIdow they look fucking stupid. The hair on all the characters looks fucking stupid. Yet people making excuses because "its not the movie characters".

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
I really hate how people are using the "So what its not the actors from the movies". Thats not the point. The point is look at Thor, look at Black WIdow they look fucking stupid. The hair on all the characters looks fucking stupid. Yet people making excuses because "its not the movie characters".
It's people being wilfully ignorant. They are clearly aping the MCU style. Just poorly.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
cap and thor just looking flabby and sick, all these people saw that shit and though it was ok?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Totally.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's people being wilfully ignorant. They are clearly aping the MCU style. Just poorly.

Getting inspired by everything these characters represent and crafting their own spin on it is exactly what they're seemingly going for here and also the reason that Spider-Man was so amazing.

I'm really really concerned of crystal dynamic heading the story.... I don't like tomb raider story at all...
It's not really CD, it's Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and that one was pretty fucking great. He seems very earnest and committed to make the game the best way possible, I wouldn't be surprised if some characters models are upgraded in the future. What has me more excited tho is that the guy responsible for the combat is the same one that worked in God of War, and everyone that saw the demo praised the action. They still have a lot of time to work the kinks.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Getting inspired by everything these characters represent and crafting their own spin on it is exactly what they're seemingly going for here and also the reason that Spider-Man was so amazing.
There are two distinctly different issues.

1. Their spin: The costumes etc.
2. Their Faces and their Hair tech.

2. is the major issue for me at the moment. Yeah their costumes look garbage, but they can be changed with other gear. However their faces and hair tech? My god its actually terrible. It looks so puffy and frizzy and complete unlife like. The faces and facial animations are so bad that you can tell its so jarring when the voice actors talk as them.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There are two distinctly different issues.

1. Their spin: The costumes etc.
2. Their Faces and their Hair tech.

2. is the major issue for me at the moment. Yeah their costumes look garbage, but they can be changed with other gear. However their faces and hair tech? My god its actually terrible. It looks so puffy and frizzy and complete unlife like. The faces and facial animations are so bad that you can tell its so jarring when the voice actors talk as them.
They seem committed and listening to the fans feedback. I think both these things will end up being addressed. Will they make more like the MCU actors? Fuck no, but I'd say they still have time to work out all the kinks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to send the VAs back to the booth and have them actually try to act. All of the main Avengers' actors are just doing their regular speaking voices. Why the hell would you pay Laura Bailey to be Black Widow and then ask her to just talk like regular Laura Bailey?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really CD, it's Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and that one was pretty fucking great. He seems very earnest and committed to make the game the best way possible, I wouldn't be surprised if some characters models are upgraded in the future. What has me more excited tho is that the guy responsible for the combat is the same one that worked in God of War, and everyone that saw the demo praised the action. They still have a lot of time to work the kinks.
They also had Rhianna Pratchett working on two of the Tomb Raider reboot games. She can write and write well but their approach to story-telling and writing seems to have made it impossible to create a good story. She just didn't have enough control/freedom to actually come up with something good. It's very possible that they've changed their approach to storytelling for the Avengers game but I'd caution against merely assuming the story will be good because they've got a good writer attached to it.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
They also had Rhianna Pratchett working on two of the Tomb Raider reboot games. She can write and write well but their approach to story-telling and writing seems to have made it impossible to create a good story. She just didn't have enough control/freedom to actually come up with something good. It's very possible that they've changed their approach to storytelling for the Avengers game but I'd caution against merely assuming the story will be good because they've got a good writer attached to it.
They are selling this as story first since yesterday. The story they are going for and what Shaun is saying it's getting me quite intrigued and the creative choice of killing Cap in the reveal trailer is bold, and sets the theme of who they are going to avenge, besides the people of San Francisco. While I get the concern with DP, based in the reveal trailer and how amazing Marvel Spider-Man's story was, I'm not worried in that aspect right now. They need to focus on upgrading the graphics and addressed the negative feedback of some character models, and I think this is just too big of an investment for them not trying their best to.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the guardians game is like. Apparently it's nextgen now, hmm.
I feel like it'll end up being a third person shooter, most of the current well known guardians rock guns so it'll probably be something like that with some individual skills for each guardian( so star lord can fly, gamora has a sword, rocket is with groot doin melee stuff etc etc)

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are selling this as story first since yesterday. The story they are going for and what Shaun is saying it's getting me quite intrigued and the creative choice of killing Cap in the reveal trailer is bold, and sets the theme of who they are going to avenge, besides the people of San Francisco. While I get the concern with DP, based in the reveal trailer and how amazing Marvel Spider-Man's story was, I'm not worried in that aspect right now. They need to focus on upgrading the graphics and addressed the negative feedback of some character models, and I think this is just too big of an investment for them not trying their best to.
I mean, fair enough, but for the record, they did also make a big deal about how important and how great the story was going to be in their TR reboot games and always acted like they were really proud of the storytelling when it was quite frankly very lacklustre. (I don't doubt that they were actually proud of it, I merely doubt their storytelling sensibilities.)