• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Do we have any indication of when development started ?
I mean they didn't get the deal until 2017 so development time might not have been long.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's not really CD, it's Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and that one was pretty fucking great. He seems very earnest and committed to make the game the best way possible, I wouldn't be surprised if some characters models are upgraded in the future. What has me more excited tho is that the guy responsible for the combat is the same one that worked in God of War, and everyone that saw the demo praised the action. They still have a lot of time to work the kinks.
That's a relief to hear, I do like the story cutscene we've seen so far like Tony and Bruce scene. character model is just about the only thing I'm not into it, mainly everything about Thor, Iron-Man helmet, Cap and Black Widow face, less issue with Cap since when he put the helmet on, he looks fine. Hulk and Banner looks great

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take it to heart and do a complete redesign of the entire cast because right now 99% of all discussion I've seen over this game is people's dislike of the designs. It's giving me Sonic movie vibes.
Iron Man's head just looks way too small it's so weird. All of these have dumb design decisions going on.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take it to heart and do a complete redesign of the entire cast because right now 99% of all discussion I've seen over this game is people's dislike of the designs. It's giving me Sonic movie vibes.

Yeah, at the end of the Simpsons panel that was ultimately about nothing they made a joke that they were working on an Avengers game where the characters would look even less like the Avengers than in a certain other upcoming game.

It's in the zeitgeist.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Thor looks straight up like a cosplayer made a costume out of grandma's fine silver dishware

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTcvNjkyL2kwMi9hdmVuZ2Vyc2dhbWUuanBn

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes, indeed.

Tony's suit Hemet looks like C3P0.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

There is an interview with IGN and they are saying that the acting was done with all mo cap, in a set they built. I'm actually weirded out with the voice acting complaints, I think it's pretty fucking great and a complete different take on these characters. Thor for example is a lot more serious and like his comics persona than his MCU persona. Here is the link for the interview:

It's around the 05:33:00 mark. I don't want them to ape the MCU take of the characters, and so far they are clearly not doing that.

Marvel just posted this:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Q&A video posted

- There's a base of operations.
- There is leveling up, they have their character specific skill trees.
- My Cap could be more focused on melee while yours is more ranged focused.
- Gear sets (Probably intended to mean there's gear rather than set bonuses ala Diablo etc)
- Can customize via costumes, skills, gear, some heroes might have a helmet with X costume but not Y costume.
- Missions have replayability via character chosen. A ground based hero will be different than someone that can fly. "Completely different experience"
- Beta for everyone (early on PS4)
- "Will there be any improvements to graphic quality?" "This is pre-alpha we're going to continue improving"
- Is this open world? "Game was way too big to be one open world so we separated it into sections. Went for variety instead of 1 big area." Different regions will be released as game goes on post-launch.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Didn't think about it before but the second worst thing about the exclusive stuff is that it makes cross play a lot more unlikely.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Q&A video posted

- There's a base of operations.
- There is leveling up, they have their character specific skill trees.
- My Cap could be more focused on melee while yours is more ranged focused.
- Gear sets
- Can customize costumes, skills, gear, some heroes might have a helmet with X costume but not Y costume.
- Missions have replayability via character chosen. A ground based hero will be different than someone that can fly. "Completely different experience"
- Beta for everyone (early on PS4)
- "Will there be any improvements to graphic quality?" "This is pre-alpha we're going to continue improving"
- Is this open world? "Game was way too big to be one open world so we separated it into sections. Went for variety instead of 1 big area." Different regions will be released as game goes on post-launch.

EXCELLENT news and clearing up a lot of things. They seem clearly committed on making a slam dunk and I'm honestly confident they will pull it off.

DrBo42, maybe this deserves it's own thread, in the light that there is a lot of people complaining about things they have addressed in this Q&A.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EXCELLENT news and clearing up a lot of things. They seem clearly committed on making a slam dunk and I'm honestly confident they will pull it off.

DrBo42, maybe this deserves it's own thread, in the light that there is a lot of people complaining about things they have addressed in this Q&A.
If you want to, go for it. I can throw one together real quick if you don't want to.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Can one play the game totally single player offline rather than online?

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.

How does multiplayer work?

We have a really robust campaign that you can play through. You're going to play in different levels as different superheroes to further the narrative. We're going to have a base of operations that you're going to be able to go off and play multiplayer levels or come back to the campaign.

There's a huge world to explore. From that base of operation you go through many different places. We're excited to show you all the cool places you can go to. It was way too big to complain in one space, it's multiple different areas and takes the Avengers all over the place.

Will there be a skill tree for certain characters? Will there be leveling up?

There's absolutely leveling up. Each character gets their own skill tree. What makes it cool is the way you level your character may be different than the way I level mine. I can't go into a lot of details right now, but imagine this: your Captain America can do melee and range, you might focus more on range, I might focus more on melee, my gear set could be different, my skills could be different and my outfit could be different as well. When you play you get an experience tailored to what you like.

Could you go into the ways you can customize your hero?

You can customize your hero with costumes. We've got lots of costumes to choose from for your specific hero, you can customize your skills, and the gear that you play with.

Some heroes that in some instances don't have a helmet with their costume might have a helmet with another costume. You never know, there's a lot of variety.

While it's our own take on the Avengers, we're collaborating with Marvel directly to make these characters come to life so they're going to feel familiar and you're going to see that they play the way that you'd expect.

Is it going to be story driven or a GAAS thing?

It's absolutely a story driven game and it's going to keep evolving even after launch. A cool thing about this game is you're going to see new heroes being released, you're going to see new regions at no additional fee.

Is this game going to offer replayability?

Yeah, there's places where you can run through a mission with one character and then play it again with another character for a different experience. The Iron Man and Hulk experience might be pretty different.

Is the beta only for the PS4?

Beta's for everybody. Early beta for PS4.

Will there be any improvements on the graphics quality in the game before launch?

What you saw in the demo was pre-alpha. It's going to keep improving.

Is this open world?

The game was too big to contain in one open world, so we divided it into reigions. We went for variety instead of one big city. We're going to be releasing different regions for free in the years to come.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.

How does multiplayer work?

We have a really robust campaign that you can play through. You're going to play in different levels as different superheroes to further the narrative. We're going to have a base of operations that you're going to be able to go off and play multiplayer levels or come back to the campaign.

There's a huge world to explore. From that base of operation you go through many different places. We're excited to show you all the cool places you can go to. It was way too big to complain in one space, it's multiple different areas and takes the Avengers all over the place.

Will there be a skill tree for certain characters? Will there be leveling up?

There's absolutely leveling up. Each character gets their own skill tree. What makes it cool is the way you level your character may be different than the way I level mine. I can't go into a lot of details right now, but imagine this: your Captain America can do melee and range, you might focus more on range, I might focus more on melee, my gear set could be different, my skills could be different and my outfit could be different as well. When you play you get an experience tailored to what you like.

Could you go into the ways you can customize your hero?

You can customize your hero with costumes. We've got lots of costumes to choose from for your specific hero, you can customize your skills, and the gear that you play with.

Some heroes that in some instances don't have a helmet with their costume might have a helmet with another costume. You never know, there's a lot of variety.

While it's our own take on the Avengers, we're collaborating with Marvel directly to make these characters come to life so they're going to feel familiar and you're going to see that they play the way that you'd expect.

Is it going to be story driven or a GAAS thing?

It's absolutely a story driven game and it's going to keep evolving even after launch. A cool thing about this game is you're going to see new heroes being released, you're going to see new regions at no additional fee.

Is this game going to offer replayability?

Yeah, there's places where you can run through a mission with one character and then play it again with another character for a different experience. The Iron Man and Hulk experience might be pretty different.

Is the beta only for the PS4?

Beta's for everybody. Early beta for PS4.

Will there be any improvements on the graphics quality in the game before launch?

What you saw in the demo was pre-alpha. It's going to keep improving.

Is this open world?

The game was too big to contain in one open world, so we divided it into reigions. We went for variety instead of one big city. We're going to be releasing different regions for free in the years to come.
Your transcript is way better than mine, stealing for the dedicated thread lol.

Private Demo Impressions

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The demo looks really fun and each of the characters felt pretty distinct even just while watching.

They have a lot of dev time left so can't wait to see where they end up.

Should hold off on your doubt until they are ready to show the gameplay cause it seems like it'll be a metric load of fun. I had a grin on my face throughout the gameplay.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The demo looks really fun and each of the characters felt pretty distinct even just while watching.

Should hold off on your doubt until they are ready to show the gameplay cause it seems like it'll be a metric load of fun. I had a grin on my face throughout the gameplay.
The sound of the demo level setup and how it switches gameplay/setpieces to each character is pretty cool. Especially since you can still hear what's going on with the other team members over the comms during the different sections.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

This is excellent to hear. Still holding out hope for more Spider-Man DLCs, btw. It's my 2018 GOTY and I'm replaying it on y brand new oled 4K and holy shit y'all made a masterpiece. I will be always be thankful for that game.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ugh, Thor's hair. What the fuck. I could almost give the bland designs a pass but every shot of him is gross.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I guess you can't comment whether or not this game is connected to PS4 Spider-Man?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yeah it behind closed door only.
Bummer. I dont like those ppl tweeting about it then.

It feels like they are being paid to praise it or disingenuous. I read they don't want to show it because it's still not polished. Ok so let's cut the praise of this rough cut and just say no one is seeing shit. Wait next year or until beta.

I guess the teasing is part of the promotional stuff but ppl are just talking about the small teaser which isn't good to begin with. I think a gameplay segment would answer lots of questions and keep the hype.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
From Marvel's official YouTube channel alone it has already 7 million views, with a bigger number of likes than the Spider-Man reveal trailer three years ago. I think it's safe to say that if Square is able to deliver, they have a monstrous hit in their hands, even bigger than the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Scratch that, it could also rival TLOUII.

Last edited:

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you don't reveal a game. Show some CGI that just looks like a B movie or stunt doubles or just plain bad. Show no gameplay then hide gameplay behind closed door. What were they thinking?

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
Full E3 Coliseum panel details:
  • Original story that Crystal is spearheading
  • Avengers are in "disarray", "guilt and loss", will see how all of these Avengers deal with it
  • Own spin on characters, not trying to ape films, went through 60 years of comics
  • Taking inspiration from West Coast Avengers
  • The Avengers and SHIELD decide to band together and have their own themed Helicarrier called the Chimera that houses the experimental technology that sets off the events of A-Day
  • Biggest challenge is that every character is so different, combat uniquely catered to each character, each characters "feels like its own game"
  • Each character has unique traversal, grappling hooks, wall jumps, flight, etc.
  • Only one hero is allowed, 4 Hulks won't be running around per team
  • Can "straight-shot" the story by yourself, or jump-in/jump out instantaneously with your friends
  • For the single-player campaign, you will only be able to play the character that is designated per mission
  • Live service, but also very narrative focused, "can't really compare it to any other game"
  • Said to "stay tuned" for people wondering where certain characters (coughHawkeyecough) are
  • When asked about if Spider-Man and Avengers are connected, Bill Rosemann said that they "are just focused on making the best Avengers game"
[Hidden content]

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
So we gonna get any gameplay this week? I thought they mentioned a demo at their booth during the press conference.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Closed doors. Impressions have gone out via press etc. Probably not going to see gameplay for a bit.

Ah damn. From the impressions it sounds like the game is super early, so it might be for the best.

Praying this isn't released in a rushed state and patched month after month to eventually resemble a playable game. Sure fire way to kill hype surrounding a title, and it seems all too common these days.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just guessing but based on the forecast, SE already pushed the game out of the FY once, so I don't feel they're rushing this to meet some deadline.

Another thing, all the Q&As said free heroes and regions. It's an oddly specific term to use. Maybe some kind of content tied to these regions/worlds (possibly multiplayer/story missions?) could be paid for.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I noticed how they didn't say if it can be played offline.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
From Marvel's official YouTube channel alone it has already 7 million views, with a bigger number of likes than the Spider-Man reveal trailer three years ago. I think it's safe to say that if Square is able to deliver, they have a monstrous hit in their hands, even bigger than the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Scratch that, it could also rival TLOUII.
It's multiplat and its Avengers. Biggest selling game of 2020 with Cyberpunk lol

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's multiplat and its Avengers. Biggest selling game of 2020 with Cyberpunk lol
I wouldn't be shocked if Avengers topped Cyberpunk if they are able to work around the kinks. This has potential of being the first 'Overwatch' of the next gen, if done right. Eidos and Marvel are handling a machine of printing money, if they do it right, the concept and the characters popularity might be enough to top Cyberpunk, which will likely be Rated R.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I wouldn't be shocked if Avengers topped Cyberpunk if they are able to work around the kinks. This has potential of being the first 'Overwatch' of the next gen, if done right. Eidos and Marvel are handling a machine of printing money, if they do it right, the concept and the characters popularity might be enough to top Cyberpunk, which will likely be Rated R.
Yeah definitely, they must do it right cause people will be spending a ton of money for any cosmetics in this game. And the Marvel lore is so deep this can go for years.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Alright, the Easy Allies guys saw the demo and now I'm truly on board on the hype train:

Around 31:40, what they are describing here sounds fucking amazing, and also it explains why it wasn't revealed to the public yet: since it's still pre-alpha, it still glitchy in parts, but they seem genuinely excited about the game and gameplay. Can't wait to see this when they are ready to show us.

Last edited:

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Fantastic, this is what I was hoping for the most. I enjoy MUA but if I play as Iron Man and Thor I wanna really move and feel different, same with Hulk. All the characters feeling different is a must.