• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
They should just release actual gameplay already.

Ok it's in early still then why are people playing it at e3? If it's super secretive then dont let anyone play it and say there is only the teaser from the SE show available.

If it's a bit rough then dont let anyone play. It's just killing any hype and we are getting really mixed opinions instead of making our own.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
GameXplain was super unimpressed and Kotaku seemed not that impressed.

Both think the dialog was hideously bad with Kotaku pointing out that one of the quips assassinates Tony Stark's character by stating that Tony Stark didn't read the mission reports.
I was expecting Avengers to be a contender for game of the show, but it seems too divisive for that.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
GameSpot impressions

I do like what this superhero team-up game is trying to accomplish, but it seems like it's retreading ground that's already been covered by other games. It also doesn't help that the style and designs of the heroes come off as somewhat outdated and unflattering. In a lot of ways, the new Avengers game gave me similar vibes from the PS3/360-era of licensed Marvel games, from the design and visual standpoint. Still, I enjoyed the spectacle and scale that was shown off in the demo. Though this section focused on a linear level, the full game plans to feature an array of missions that open up and can be taken on at your leisure---and that's something I'm still looking forward to seeing.

Oct 26, 2017
They should just release actual gameplay already.

Ok it's in early still then why are people playing it at e3? If it's super secretive then dont let anyone play it and say there is only the teaser from the SE show available.

If it's a bit rough then dont let anyone play. It's just killing any hype and we are getting really mixed opinions instead of making our own.

People aren't playing it at e3 other than Crystal Dynamics.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The melee repulsor Iron Man attacks look neat. Cap combat looked kinda rough, not flowing well but the direction is what I expected here.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
From what I've read, the closed-doors demo is a bit too scripted and by-the-book for my tastes, but it's probably just the opening tutorial sequence. Hopefully they show off a gameplay demo that is more representative of the actual game soon.
People had the exact same complaints about Spider-Man. All E3 demos are very scripted. And this is clearly early in the game.

Oct 26, 2017
People had the exact same complaints about Spider-Man. All E3 demos are very scripted. And this is clearly early in the game.

The think with Avengers is that it's incredibly unclear what the core game will actually be about.

People knew that Spider-Man would be something like Spider-Man 2 and Batman Arkham City, Avengers' core gameplay is...?

Like, is this game going to be like Destiny most of the time...?

If so, how heavy with the loot focus be?

What's the loot system like if so?

How does combat work with multiple Avengers at once?

How is this game monetized?

These are hugely important questions (and could make up like 90-95% of the content of the game if this game is like Destiny) and Crystal Dynamics hasn't even really gestured at an answer.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That really isn't a flattering leak. With the visuals and spectacle rendered moot you can kind of get a sense that the combat between characters will be the same core accented with abilities, which is to be expected I suppose. The difference between Captain America and Thor seemed like the difference between Kratos unarmed and with the Leviathan Axe in God of War, for instance. That said the Hulk seemed unique to the others.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, that looks pretty good to me (from what I can actually make out) for a cinematic focused single player tutorial level. Very curious to see how the more open multiplayer missions look in practice.

Oh shit is that the same Taskmaster/Costume from Spidey????
Not at all.

t9zMZIh.png

0biOazC.png

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
The think with Avengers is that it's incredibly unclear what the core game will actually be about.

People knew that Spider-Man would be something like Spider-Man 2 and Batman Arkham City, Avengers' core gameplay is...?

Like, is this game going to be like Destiny most of the time...?

If so, how heavy with the loot focus be?

What's the loot system like if so?

How does combat work with multiple Avengers at once?

How is this game monetized?

These are hugely important questions (and could make up like 90-95% of the content of the game if this game is like Destiny) and Crystal Dynamics hasn't even really gestured at an answer.
I agree, they should've had a better game plan to explain the core game better. This was a bad reveal simply because it leaves more questions than answers. But I'm just referring to the scripted and linear nature of the demo.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Hmmm... IGN vid went up 13 min ago saying main campaign is single player only. But once you finish a mission, side missions open up that are co-op (online only).

When comparisons to Destiny were made, I thought the entire campaign was co-op. Not sire I'm liking this.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hmmm... IGN vid went up 13 min ago saying main campaign is single player only. But once you finish a mission, side missions open up that are co-op (online only).

When comparisons to Destiny were made, I thought the entire campaign was co-op. Not sire I'm liking this.
No idea why they're marketing this as a GaaS if that's the case. Sounds more like a solid single-player third-person action game and optional co-op missions on the side to me, and that type of messaging would go over better with people probably

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
No idea why they're marketing this as a GaaS if that's the case. Sounds more like a solid single-player third-person action game w/ the Avengers and optional co-op missions on the side to me, and that type of messaging would go over better with people probably
This really has been a mess of a reveal

I wish they've been a lot more clear about the game

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
No idea why they're marketing this as a GaaS if that's the case. Sounds more like a solid single-player third-person action game and optional co-op missions on the side to me, and that type of messaging would go over better with people probably

GaaS doesnt mean multiplayer ? It means game will continue after launch with new challenges,story missions,characters , new co op missions as free and costumes etc to get money
whats so quite hard to get

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
They seem really insecure about the game. Why even reveal it now and not a bit later when it's ready.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just watched a bunch of previews on youtube and only Easy Allies seemed positive on it.
It's a shame, I don't care about the Avengers that much but I was hoping for a return to form for Crystal Dynamics and Eidos. Not that their last few games were terrible but to me they never quite achieved their true potential.
In terms of Marvel games, MUA3 was always going to be something that appealed to me more I guess. The realistic / cinematic approach is simply not my thing. The game looks so lifeless. I do like their Banner and Hulk though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched a bunch of previews on youtube and only Easy Allies seemed positive on it.
It's a shame, I don't care about the Avengers that much but I was hoping for a return to form for Crystal Dynamics and Eidos. Not that their last few games were terrible but to me they never quite achieved their true potential.
In terms of Marvel games, MUA3 was always going to be something that appealed to me more I guess. The realistic / cinematic approach is simply not my thing. The game looks so lifeless. I do like their Banner and Hulk though.

Gamecentral seemed pretty positive in their preview/interview:

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I watched the leaked gameplay demo this morning. The video was crappy enough that I wasn't able to notice any of the animation jank noted by some reviewers. The Hulk part looked fantastic; it seems to control much like the last Hulk game for the 360. Similarly, Cap's gameplay looked like it was Bamham right out of the First Avenger game. Both of those segments are good news. But the best and most surprising was definitely Black Widow. Looked very fun. It's clear some of her boss fight was QTE but implemented well (reminiscent of the recent GoW epic first boss fight). Thor's segment did not seem that impressive. I need to see more of Iron man's gameplay but what I was able to see looked like they captured the essence of how he fights in the movies.

Overall, I'm more hyped than I was before watching, and that's saying a lot.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what GaaS means. It can be both at the same time

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

If that's the case I'm way more excited. I guess we're just really used to GAAS meaning multiplayer focus

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Other than Giant Bomb (and I didn't even find that one, it's just something that one user brought it up here without providing any links), ALL the previews were extremely positive, from all that I saw, and I did watch a lot of them. Curious to see what others who have seen the demo that weren't positive that you are talking about. Any links?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Other than Giant Bomb, ALL the previews were extremely positive, from all that I saw, and I did watch a lot of them. Curious to see what others who have seen the demo that weren't positive that you are talking about. Any links?
Kinda Funny, GameXplain, Giantbomb, Game Informer and Easy Allies are the ones I watched.
No links sorry but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Bother trying to give me the Giant Bomb one? The Game Informer one was actually also very positive, same for IGN. I didn't know that Kinda Funny got to see the demo gameplay, but I'll look it up.

And you might be mixing up Game Informer with another outlet or maybe another editor talked about it somewhere else?
Because I would not describe this as very positive:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

And you might be mixing up Game Informer with another outlet or maybe another editor talked about it somewhere else?
Because I would not describe this as very positive:

I'm talking about the written coverage they did for the game:

Amos didn't answer many of our questions (including if four people could all be the Hulk), and instead wanted the demo to speak for itself. While the game looks a little rough at this point, the scale of this experience cannot be denied. The amount of action unfolding at once is impressive, and I really want to see just how much damage Hulk can deal. We unfortunately have to wait until next year to see how the game turns out. Avengers is currently slated to launch on May 15 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Stadia.

And even then I don't think it's that bad. They seem frustrated that they didn't get to play the game, and Andrew Reiner seems quite more reasonable about it. It's still very early stage, and I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't get delayed.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
After reading impressions of people who saw the game in action what worries me is that the release date is due in less than a year and apparently the gameplay/game design isn't as solid as it should be considering the timeframe.

Maybe we'll have another Anthem in our hands.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's weird, press seems mixed at best but the reaction that I see to the 240p off screen slanted "leaked" footage on social media is mostly positive

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
The lead combat designer is Vince Napoli, the guy responsible for God of War's combat. If you didn't like God of War's combat, then Avengers won't be for you. Everyone else should be satisfied.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The lead combat designer is Vince Napoli, the guy responsible for God of War's combat. If you didn't like God of War's combat, then Avengers won't be for you. Everyone else should be satisfied.
That's what I don't really understand about the whole complain about the game being linear, at least in the introduction. I just started playing God of War and that game is incredibly linear at the beginning, with the combat being fun as hell. Yes I agree that they have to work in the graphics and improve and maybe even change some character models (Widow's and Cap's face, Thor's costume and hair), but as far as being linear and cinematic, I fucking love that. This isn't and couldn't possibly be an open world game like Spidey, and it's awesome by me. What I want is that leaked gameplay with God of War / Spider-Man like graphics. Hard but I think they have time to pull it off.