• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I don't really understand about the whole complain about the game being linear, at least in the introduction. I just started playing God of War and that game is incredibly linear at the beginning, with the combat being fun as hell. Yes I agree that they have to work in the graphics and improve and maybe even change some character models (Widow's and Cap's face, Thor's costume and hair), but as far as being linear and cinematic, I fucking love that. This isn't and couldn't possibly be an open world game like Spidey, and it's awesome by me. What I want is that leaked gameplay with God of War / Spider-Man like graphics. Hard but I think they have time to pull it off.

The single player is very linear probably but the single player makes up some unknown part of the game.

This could end up being 70-95% multiplayer.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain was super unimpressed and Kotaku seemed not that impressed.

Both think the dialog was hideously bad with Kotaku pointing out that one of the quips assassinates Tony Stark's character by stating that Tony Stark didn't read the mission reports.

they need to take this whole game back to the drawing board if you do a boss fight, with a single character, in an avengers game. even if this was just an early shoecase of characters...that would be the moment to showcase them working together.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
they need to take this whole game back to the drawing board if you do a boss fight, with a single character, in an avengers game. even if this was just an early shoecase of characters...that would be the moment to showcase them working together.
If all the Avengers teamed up to fight Taskmaster at once and he held his own this would have been garbage to anyone familiar with Taskmaster. Not every "boss fight" should be the team ganging up on one guy. The fights usually aren't like that in the comics and movies. They shouldn't be in the games.

MUA 3 has you covered, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what I expected from the Avengers game going into this. but hearing the impressions and seeing the leaked footage, I'm pretty underwhelmed. it sounds like a realistic Ultimate Alliance but with one character in one way and a Marvel version of the Arkham games in another way.

actually, it reminds me of the first Star Wars Fallen Order footage. for all the promise, hype, whatever, it just seemed boring

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Exactly. You should be forced to constantly switch between the Avengers to make use of their different abilities to defeat the big bad. The team dynamic is what makes the Avengers special.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Listening to The Amazing Lucas' opinions
Was harassing Insomniac devs just because of a fucking suit in Spider-Man PS4

Yeah, that guy is trash. Someone here pimped his video about the control scheme of Spider-Man PS4 last year, which led me to another video of his and he immediately started spouting some MRA/Alt-right type bullshit about Black Panther. I had to block his channel to eventually scrub my YT recommendations afterwards.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
That leaked 13min gameplay video was pretty hype, shitty quality but the gameplay looks ace.

And funny that they have proper dual wielding pistols for Black Widow and not Lara Croft.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yeah, that guy is trash. Someone here pimped his video about the control scheme of Spider-Man PS4 last year, which led me to another video of his and he immediately started spouting some MRA/Alt-right type bullshit about Black Panther. I had to block his channel to eventually scrub my YT recommendations afterwards.
Might be best to put the dude that was pimping his video out last year on ignore too

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Might be best to put the dude that was pimping his video out last year on ignore too

Perhaps, but to be fair, you couldn't tell Lucas' agenda from that video alone. The person posting it might have come across it while randomly searching for gameplay footage from the show floor and wasn't aware of the otherwise dubious content of that channel, so i gave them the benefit of the doubt.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Dynamics seems like such an odd developer for this game to me, not a good fit.
Uncharted The Lost Legacy Creative Director from Naughty Dog is the director of this game.

And God of War's lead Combat Director is the main combat designer in this game.

CD went and got the Avengers of game developers for this game. And it shows. The leaked footage looked better than any uncharted or god of war setpiece ive played this gen.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Judging by the impressions I'm hearing, this thing is gonna be a mediocre, safe as houses linear set piece fest. People were imagining the battle of New York in the first Avengers movie in a Spiderman style open world and that is far from what they're getting.

Nov 30, 2018
z
Uncharted The Lost Legacy Creative Director from Naughty Dog is the director of this game.

CD went and got the Avengers of game developers for this game. And it shows. The leaked footage looked better than any uncharted or god of war setpiece ive played this gen.

lol ok

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Judging by the impressions I'm hearing, this thing is gonna be a mediocre, safe as houses linear set piece fest. People were imagining the battle of New York in the first Avengers movie in a Spiderman style open world and that is far from what they're getting.
Did people really want to walk around an open world as Captain America? Black Widow? People are weird.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the gameplay I can see the campaign being solid. If you're doing mission as Black Widow, then a mission as Iron-Man, then one as Hulk - all tailored to their strengths - that seems like a solid setup for a good action game. In my mind I'm picturing a structure like DMC5.

It's the co-op missions I'm struggling to see playing out in my head. I'm imagining Destiny-like areas, but I'm wondering how navigation will work between the characters. Maybe Captain America and Black Widow get to summon bikes? Or I suppose it's more likely abilities like flying will be closer to hovering above ground.

But the core story mode being designed for a single-player leaves me optimistic about that part of the game.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the gameplay I can see the campaign being solid. If you're doing mission as Black Widow, then a mission as Iron-Man, then one as Hulk - all tailored to their strengths - that seems like a solid setup for a good action game. In my mind I'm picturing a structure like DMC5.

It's the co-op missions I'm struggling to see playing out in my head. I'm imagining Destiny-like areas, but I'm wondering how navigation will work between the characters. Maybe Captain America and Black Widow get to summon bikes? Or I suppose it's more likely abilities like flying will be closer to hovering above ground.

But the core story mode being designed for a single-player leaves me optimistic about that part of the game.
How would the extra work because that's makes me worried about them starting to get samey but with different animations

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Woah, crappy quality indeed but that leaked gameplay looks really damn good, you can already see how different each character plays. I'm hyped as hell!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

God of War 2018's combat is great value Soulsborne/For Honor.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

So you haven't played either of those games? Got it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The saddest part of the leaked footage is just that you have all these characters to play around with, and your first boss battle is...as Black Widow. The least interesting Avenger of all time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the intro, from the trailer you can already see Hulk vs Abomination as at least another boss battle

Right. I'm just saying you usually put your best foot forward for your first boss, since it's the one EVERYBODY's gonna fight. Black Widow having a wimpy kick fight against Taskmaster is not really best foot forward.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The lack of creativity is stunning. You make a game called MARVEL'S AVENGERS and it focuses solely on the four white dudes and one white woman from the Avengers movie from seven years ago, looking almost exactly like their movie counterparts. Super bad look as the MCU continues to diversify.
Are they planning to feature more Avengers or have they confirmed that what we see is all the characters? Because it would be a damn bummer just to ape the MCU's core crew. Hell I'd just be happy for Black Panther but hoping for Monica Rambeau as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are they planning to feature more Avengers or have they confirmed that what we see is all the characters? Because it would be a damn bummer just to ape the MCU's core crew. Hell I'd just be happy for Black Panther but hoping for Monica Rambeau as well.

There will be a couple more, but I wouldn't expect any roster deep cuts beyond Kamala. This game is designed to be as safe as humanly possible.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game is designed as gaas where they'll keep releasing new heroes and location after the game launched.

I'm not sure of the current core 5 avenger is all there is in the game when it launched, or will there be other unlockable avengers you can get in the launch. We had teaser for AntMan, but I'm not sure if he'll be unlockable at launch or future dlc

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
There will be a couple more, but I wouldn't expect any roster deep cuts beyond Kamala. This game is designed to be as safe as humanly possible.
God damn. You'd think with the revival of the Ultimate Alliance series they would try breaking the mold. I know the films are popular but I can't imagine having the licence and not going as bold as possible for a unique roster. Maybe they aren't taking risks due to mandate from Disney/Marvel but it's lame either way.

The game is designed as gaas where they'll keep releasing new heroes and location after the game launched.

I'm not sure of the current core 5 avenger is all there is in the game when it launched, or will there be other unlockable avengers you can get in the launch. We had teaser for AntMan, but I'm not sure if he'll be unlockable at launch or future dlc
They said that as a live service you're getting free dlcs characters over time

Which doesn't make that hopeful because I'm worried that the characters may end up be samey and free sounds too good to be true but I'm waiting and seeing

Ah! That's actually good to know. Gonna try and stay optimistic in that case. Praying that they're not too samey. Kamala, Tamara Devoux (Captain Universe), Dr. Voodoo, Miss America, Robbie Reyes (Ghost Rider). The game can have a lot of diversity and seperate itslelf a lot from the MCU with some honest effort.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Which doesn't make that hopeful because I'm worried that the characters may end up be samey and free sounds too good to be true but I'm waiting and seeing

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I don't think we should be wary about character feeling samey. They seem to be proud that the current 5 character feel very distinct from each other. At least I imagine they're aware and will try to differentiate how future dlc character will play compared to other.

I can see there being archetype or some kind of class. War Machine play similar as IronMan just with different loadout to differentiate. Gun wielder like winter soldier may play similar with Black Widow but again with different weapon and abilities etc

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

Think less Destiny and more Mass Effect or Final Fantasy XV

A team of 4 always goes in (vs 3 in Mass Effect) 1 player controlled and 3 AI. Given flying heroes there will be more vertically but that seems to be the general structure. The party travels around together and everything is story focused aside from the general busywork that most big ARPGs have

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Crystal Dynamics: The Avengers is the biggest thing we've ever done

A great interview with some good insights

5 studios are working on the game
  • Crystal Dynamics (at Redwood Shores)
  • Crystal North West (a new studio in Bellevue)
  • Nixxes (partner in Netherlands)
  • Eidos Montreal
  • Square Enix Japan (tech group)
"We've literally had to put these five studios together and say: 'We're going this far. Tomb Raider, awesome. Rise of the Tomb Raider, even better. Shadow of the Tomb Raider... and it's like no, we're going beyond the boundaries'.

"We've had to go hire experts like Shaun Escayg, who is our creative director. He told stories for Uncharted and The Last of Us [at Naughty Dog], we needed him to help tell this story. Dave Fifield was a game director who worked on Halo and Call of Duty, we needed him to help us with multiplayer. We go around and look at what we need. Who are the experts? Vince Napoli, he's our lead combat designer, he just did God of War, come help us with the combat. We cherry-picked the best of the best and said: 'Let's put this together in a new way for something bigger than we've ever done'."

"Marvel showed up and said, 'What do you want to do?'," Amos explains. "That's how it started. They really looked at us and said, 'Crystal, you guys are experts at making games, we're experts at The Avengers. What do you want to do? What's the original take you want to do on visuals, on story?' But they are true north. We work with Bill Rosemann, their VP of creative, and ask whether Tony [Stark] would say this or not, would Hulk do this particular move or not, does this gear make sense?

In film, the majority of the Marvel movies connect together to form one huge universe. Avengers is the second big-budget Marvel game to arrive after last year's hit Spider-Man. In the demo, there was even a character [Taskmaster] who appeared in both games. Amos stopped short of denying the existence of a Marvel Interactive Universe, although Spider-Man's influence has been felt.

"Every game has an influence on us," he concludes. "We look at any great game and ask what we can steal from them. Looking at Spider-Man, it was close to our hearts for sure, but think of all the games that have shipped in the last ten months. We'll steal from anybody who is the best. We look at it with Marvel. They're very savvy. They know what's going on in their world, from movies to shows to games. They help keep us abreast of what is going on and what's the right and wrong ways for us to reference each other.

"At the end of the day, this is Avengers. We're building The Avengers universe. This is our thing."

Much more in the link above