• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today's biggest comic book news:
Gwenpool's back!
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/0...ut-new-gwenpool-series-dont-trust-the-solicit

For those who haven't met her yet:
Gwendolyn "Gwen" Poole is an Era member a comic book fan from the real world, who got into the Marvel Universe.

Her powers were at the beginning total comic book knowledge and trivia, but she started using her medium awareness to alter the plot; while still being limited by editorial influence and such.
3m7tjbz0vkz21.jpg

She knows there are readers so she breaks the fourth wall unabashedly, she is able to skip panels and pages, interact with onomatopeias and speech bubbles, etc. Probably even overanalyzes the sales figures by Diamond! :p
But most importantly, she started to care about her place in the Marvel Universe and her supporting cast; a solitary person in the real world now she has a place to call home...

SO NOW...!
A brand new 5-issue mini-series starts this August, written by Leah Williams and drawn by David Baldeon.

scaled.gwenpool-strikes-back-1.jpg

GWENPOOL STRIKES BACK #1 (OF 5)
written by Leah Williams
illustrated by David Baldeon
cover by Terry Dodson

POOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!
That's right — everyone's favorite comics-fan-turned-comics character is back, and this time, she's playing for keeps! Gwen Poole is desperate not to disappear into comic book limbo, so she's going to make an impact on the Marvel Universe! First up: Unmask Spider-Man! And heck, maybe see if she can get some real super-powers while she's at it!
First appearing on a variant cover for Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2, Gwenpool has become something of a cult character for Marvel. She received her own series, The Unbelievable Gwenpool, in 2016. That comic ran until 2018.

From the writer's Twitter:

The ultimate Gen-Z comic book hero arrives! :v
Are you ready Era!?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear-but I wish Hastings was back. One of the best comics Marvel published in years.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This was seriously one of the single best pages of a comic I've ever read:

rftodhzxnzi01.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Disney needs to stop fucking up and get Gwenpool a Teen Titans Go style cartoon on the regular Disney Channel and Disney+. If there's any character perfect for that kind of show, she's it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused. Gwen as in Gwen Stacy? Why Gwen Stacy? Isn't Spider Gwen already a thing with the same character?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I loved reading through her run when I had Marvel Unlimited last year. Fun character. Can't wait to see her on TV or in movies!

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused. Gwen as in Gwen Stacy? Why Gwen Stacy? Isn't Spider Gwen already a thing with the same character?
She's a different Gwen :D But kinda started as Gwen :V

Please check out this article about her weird origin and how the character became popular:
https://www.cbr.com/gwenpool-controversial-marvel-experiment-analysis/
Gwenpool went viral immediately after her introduction, despite the character not appearing in a story herself. Noticing her popularity online and with cosplayers, editor Jordan White approached editor Heather Antos and writer Christopher Hastings to develop a full character based on Bachalo's designs from the variant cover. However, unlike Spider-Gwen, the creative team sought to introduce a wholly original character unlinked to preexisting characters licensed to companies outside of Disney.

Also this handy TL;DR about one of her early stories:

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I think I bought the first two trades of Gwenpool a while back. I should give them a read soon.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a different Gwen :D But kinda started as Gwen :V

Please check out this article about her weird origin and how the character became popular:
https://www.cbr.com/gwenpool-controversial-marvel-experiment-analysis/

Also this handy TL;DR about one of her early stories:

Oh so she actually did start as Gwen Stacy then! Haha vindication.

Whatever, she seems fun. I hope she gets big enough that we can see her in Deadpool into de Pool-verse or something.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Disney needs to stop fucking up and get Gwenpool a Teen Titans Go style cartoon on the regular Disney Channel and Disney+. If there's any character perfect for that kind of show, she's it.
We can one up this. Give her a Into the Spiderverse style movie.

Gurihiru's art was like half the charm of the original series.
Good art would be nothing without very genuinely funny writing.

Oh c'mon, she's white, blue eyed, blond and knows Spiderman. She's Gwen Stacy!
542404-marvel-captainmarvel.jpg

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically- the costume was created as a alt Gwen. But everything story and character related to her has exactly 0 to do with Gwen Stacy.
Sure but you can see where this could get confusing? I'm a hardcore videogame nerd (albeit not comic book nerd) who browses Era daily and until a few minutes ago the few things I knew about Gwenpool included that she was Gwen Stacy all along (did they have to make her physically as similar too? Same name is one thing but this was asking to get ppl confused).

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but you can see where this could get confusing? I'm a hardcore videogame nerd (albeit not comic book nerd) who browses Era daily and until a few minutes ago the few things I knew about Gwenpool included that she was Gwen Stacy all along (did they have to make her physically as similar too? Same name is one thing but this was asking to get ppl confused).

Take 2 minutes to start reading it and it's not confusing in any way. There's a Peter Parker and a Peter Quill and that's not confusing.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so you mean to tell me that white, brunette Ben Grimm isn't the same as white, brunette Ben Reilly?! Different people that might share similar physical characteristics can have the SAME NAME? That's just too confusing for me to handle.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda weird seeing ppl talk as if it's obvious that a character wearing a mask having the same name and similar look as a character as known as gwen stacy are two different people, especially since we also have spider-gwen, that IS gwen stacy.

On-topic, i'm looking at her volume paperbacks right now and wondering which are the best ones. Anyone got recommendations?

Last edited:

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people in here lamenting the lack of Gurihiru have been reading Unstoppable Wasp?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda weird seeing ppl talk as if it's obvious that a character wearing a mask having the same name and similar look as a character as known as gwen stacy are two different characters, after the situation where spider-gwen was created.

On-topic, i'm looking at her volume paperbacks right now and wondering which are the best ones. Anyone got recommendations?

It's all one storyline start to end.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I like the concept behind the character, but never liked the name and costume that was basically dishonest about making people think this was an amalgamation of Gwen Stacy and Deadpool.

Take 2 minutes to start reading it and it's not confusing in any way. There's a Peter Parker and a Peter Quill and that's not confusing.

Peter Parker and Peter quill:

A)Aren't close to the same age
B)weren't introduced close to each others release
C)Don't usually are in the same environments

Gwenpool:

A) Looks like Modern Gwen Stacy and are around the same age range
B) Was introduced around the time Spider-Gwen blew up in popularity
C) Dwells similar urban environments

Can you really blame people for thinking Gwenpool was another alternate version of Gwen stacy?

Last edited: