• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As the transition from the Jeph Loeb-led era of Marvel Television comes to its end and Kevin Feige begins to have greater creative control over film and television projects, the comic book company has opted to end development of two of its four animated Hulu comedies. No longer moving forward are Howard the Duck and Tigra & Dazzler, the latter of which was paused in December as part of a creative overhaul. The other two shows in Marvel's original four-show animated comedy universe set up at Hulu — MODOK and Hit Monkey — will continue on as planned.

Animated crossover The Offenders is also unlikely to move forward given that half the combined universe has been scrapped. Still, the character of Howard the Duck has had several cameos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and it's likely he will appear in future projects. Sources say that the decision to scrap two of the four shows was ultimately made by Marvel, not Hulu. Both Disney-owned companies declined comment.

The decision to scrap both series arrives a week after Hulu senior vp scripted originals Craig Erwich was asked during his appearance at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour about the future of Marvel at the streamer. "I have seen quite a few episodes of MODOK, which I'm really excited about," he said of the comedy, whose voice cast was announced earlier this week. "Helstrom, we're currently in production on. I've seen the first four episodes of that as well and I'm really excited about it. It is a definitely a different corner of the Marvel universe in terms of its horror. It's a really unique take on a horror show and that has a very unique family situation at the center of it. So, we'll be announcing dates of those soon."

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
First you take Squire Girl away from me and now you take Howard the Duck away from me?

Marvel, is this personal?

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So the non Marvel TV Studios shows remaining are

• Agents of SHIELD (ending soon)
  • Helstrom
  • MODOK
  • Hit Monkey

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
16361932.png

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sucks losing some adult-oriented cartoons. But at least Modok and such are still on the line

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was the Moon Girl project also canceled? (Or never started?)

I doubt the other new projects will survive beyond a season.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has wanted to do Dazzler since before the MCU was a thing, so I expect the character will resurface in some form on Disney+.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The legacy of Jeph Loeb with Marvel Television will be remembered for all the shows he announced but never delivered.

Was the Moon Girl project also canceled? (Or never started?)

I doubt the other new projects will survive beyond a season.

Moon Girl is being produced with Laurence Fishburne's company so there's no way Kevin Feige's going to burn that bridge.

I feel sorry for Helstrom. That's literally dead on arrival. The animated shows are likely to stick around after the commercial success of the Harley Quinn show.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds bad, but there are probably other plans for some of these characters moving forward.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's a lot of Marvel characters I've wanted to see getting cancelled or axed lately....

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed that Howard was cancelled, but my 3 year old is somehow in to MODOK so happy there

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Feige purge continues. I thought these might survive, since they're so clearly outside the MCU purview.

That being said, I didn't really have faith that any of them would be worth watching.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the modok cartoon was the one i was most interested in out of those four so im glad it survived the axe.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always have time for Modok. Would also love to see, now that all the television is one branch, is a stream of more adult content for Hulu. Still kind of scared Moon Knight is on plus, going to have to tone the schizo down a lot.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The situation with the New Warriors show is so weird.

"It was too good for Freeform! We need to reassess what we do with it!" And then no one hears about it ever again.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
New Warriors got in limbo the moment Disney+ was just an idea starting.

I have to assume it was fucked right out of the gate. Also the ABC head change which the new boss is said to been forced to keep SHIELD on and they didn't want to.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is because Howard the Duck is showing up in the She-Hulk series or something

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It sounds bad, but there are probably other plans for some of these characters moving forward.

Yeah, but if it's not R-rated then what's the point? I get that having everything on Disney+ is brand cohesion but it's all limited to PG13 storytelling.

Back in 2009, when Disney bought Marvel, we all feared that Marvel was going to lose it's edge. That's partly why the Marvel Netflix shows were so successful.