• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Marvel’s ‘Moon Knight’ Series Finds Its Head Writer With ‘Umbrella Academy’ Series Developer (Exclusive)

Jeremy Slater will oversee the Disney+ series 'Moon Knight.'

Slater is well-known in comic book movie circles as he was a co-writer on 2015's ill-fated Fantastic Four reboot that was directed by Josh Trank that starred Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell.

Among his other credits is Netflix horror movie Death Note, the Adam Wingard-directed adaptation of the popular manga, and creating the TV version of The Exorcist.
Regarding his resume, he is listed as one of three folks on the Fant4stic screenplay. The other two were Simon Kinberg and Josh Trank.

Similarly, with Death Note, he is one of three, with the other two being Charles Parlapanides and Vlas Parlapanides.

Slater has also written and directed two horror films, The Lazarus Effect and Pet.

Last edited:

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, misread this for a second and thought this was a Netflix Marvel show. In any case, this guy's body of work doesn't inspire a lot of hope...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I really liked Umbrella Academy so I don't think this is a bad thing, although it does set some expectations for the general tone of the show...

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it won't be as rough as the episodes I watched from series/movies in this guy's resume.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really enjoyed UA, but didn't realize he wrote that FF abomination; if anything, that would be what makes me uneasy about this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I liked Umbrella Academy, but him being behind Fant4stic doesn't aspire confidence. But at the same time, Fant4stic also had Trank & Kinberg involved in writing, so I won't hold that entirely against him (same for Death Note in that there were multiple writers).

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FanTrankstic Four was shit but I thought Kinberg and the director were involved in that too not to mention the studio.

Umbrella Academy was great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding his resume, he is listed as one of three folks on the Fant4stic screenplay. The other two were Simon Kinberg and Josh Trank.

Similarly, with Death Note, he is one of three, with the other two being Charles Parlapanides and Vlas Parlapanides.

Slater has also written and directed two horror films, The Lazarus Effect and Pet.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
FanTrankstic Four was shit but I thought Kinberg and the director were involved in that too not to mention the studio.

Umbrella Academy was great.

Yeah, that's why I'm not writing this off (seeing as both of those bombas had multiple people involved). Plus, at this point, I trust Feige's judgement.

Though this does beg the question of who's gonna write Umbrella Academy Season 2, unless Jeremy Slater already finished writing it.

Oct 31, 2017
Never watched Umbrella Academy, but I did watch Fan4stic. I was already kind of down on Moon Knight because it's PG-13 and not rated R on Hulu like it's supposed to be.

This might overtake Black Widow as my least hyped property coming up in the MCU. And it might turn out to be a bad product too. With doubling production in such a short period quality may take a hit.

Maybe it won't be as rough as the episodes I watched from series/movies in this guy's resume.

Maybe Scott Buck will make a good inhumans show after fucking up Dexter and Iron Fist.

A note about Slater's work on Fant4stic

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
From Wikipedia:

Slater's original version of the script for Fantastic Four was said to feel more in tone to a Marvel Studios movie, being an action-packed superhero adventure in contrast to the final film's dark and realistic tone. It included the villains Galactus, who is the source for the titular characters' powers, Mole Man, and Doctor Doom as a Latverian dictator and herald to Galactus, in contrast to the antisocial programmer he was portrayed as in the finished film.[3]

Looks like Slater's original script was more in line with an MCU film, but Fox and or Trank fucked with into the mess that was the final film.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The THR article notes that S2 is filming, so writing for it must be done.
So UA Season 2 is good to go on that front, nice.

Never watched Umbrella Academy, but I did watch Fan4stic. I was already kind of down on Moon Knight because it's PG-13 and not rated R on Hulu like it's supposed to be.

This might overtake Black Widow as my least hyped property coming up in the MCU. And it might turn out to be a bad product too. With doubling production in such a short period quality may take a hit.
As others have said, both Fant4stic & Netflix Death Note had multiple writers involved (the former of which also had Josh Trank & Simon Kinberg in the writers' room). I'd imagine that he was brought on based on his work on Umbrella Academy, which was actually pretty damn good.

From Wikipedia:

Looks like Slater's original script was more in line with an MCU film, but Fox and or Trank fucked with into the mess that was the final film.
Oh yeah, I remember reading about that. But damn, Fox fucked that script up hard.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Phase 1 and 2 "creative board" shenanigans aside, Feige hasn't missed yet, so I'm not going to pre-judge here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man, he's so 50/50. TV Exorcist and Umbrella Academy were good, Fant4stic and Death Note were trash.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I'd been asking for moon knight for years.

Then they give me a PG show from the guy who helped write some terrible films.

Why couldn't they just make an R rated film? They say deadpool is gonna stay R so why not Moon Knight?

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
For people going on about "BUT FANT4STIC AND DEATH NOTE!!!!!", he wrote the initial drafts of both those movies, but they were heavily changed and rewritten by others.

EI4hxoDX0AEsWNZ

(from here).

And for Fant4stic in particular they didn't use barely anything from his draft in the final film, yet he still got a credit...

So I wouldn't judge him by those movies, his TV work is a lot better regarded.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been asking for moon knight for years.

Then they give me a PG show from the guy who helped write some terrible films.

Why couldn't they just make an R rated film? They say deadpool is gonna stay R so why not Moon Knight?
Because Deadpool fans would be angry if the 3rd movie was anything other than Rated R. Moon Knight has no such precedent or any other Marvel character besides maybe Blade and Punisher.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Huh...so Death Note and Fan4stic film doesn't resemble his script? Bodes well I think. And I like Umbrella Academy too.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Liked Umbrella Academy just fine.

Both Fant4stic and Death Note both had recorded troubled predictions, and really don't reflect his input. If he's bad, those are not examples as to why.