• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: USA Today corrected their article, and the 3.3M figure does in fact include the copies that came bundled

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...record-3-3-million-copies-opening/1346187002/

It's now the fastest-selling first-party PlayStation title beating the God of War previous record with 3.1M in the first three days of release.

The popular comic-book superhero's recent resurgence has expanded beyond cinemas and into the world of video games, with the wallcrawler's latest self-titled game selling a record 3.3 million copies in the first three days of its release earlier this month.

While Sony did not provide an official number, with a retail price of $59.99 for the game the 3.3 million copies translates to roughly $198 million, crushing the $117 million opening weekend box office of the latest solo Spider-Man film, "Spider-Man: Homecoming."

One million copies were preordered, another record for Sony.

While Sony includes the sales of its $399.99 Spider-Man PlayStation 4 Pro bundle as part of its count of 3.3 million total copies of the game, it did not break out how many of the limited edition consoles were sold. The bundle's more expensive price could push the $198 million figure even higher.

"It's met and exceeded all expectations. I think the company, and the campus, and our fans are super proud of it."

Last edited:

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only 200k more than GOW?

I was expecting something like 3.9 million

Still, 2 record breakers in a timespan of 5 months for Sony, holy hell

Edit: oh it doesnt even includes bundle copies? That is impressive.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, Spectacular, and Superior!

Congrats to all the people involved, one of my favorite games this year.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing! Love the game and it deserves all the praise it's getting. Curious what the lifetimes sales for Spider-Man will be lol

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how many bundles sold? I know I got the bundle, traded in my OG PS4. It's pretty slick-looking.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely mindblowing ! Congrats Sony, Insomniac and Marvel

To compare (sold to consumers)

God of War :
  • 3.1m in 3 days
  • 5m in 1 month
Uncharted 4 :
  • 2.7m in 1 week
  • 8.7m in 7-8 months
Horizon Zero Dawn :
  • 2.6m in 2 weeks
  • 3.4m in 2 months
  • 7.6m in 1 year
Batman Arkham Knight
  • 5m in 4 months
The Witcher 3 :
  • 4m in 2 weeks
Halo 5 :
  • 5m in 3 months
Batman Arkham City
  • 2m in 1 week

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that is obviously an incredible, record-breaking number, but that isn't actually too much more than God of War. I wonder how many Limited Edition PS4 Pro's they made? Wasn't there a red Slim also?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The way people here were hyping sales I thought it'd be much higher than God of War's first three days. This is an awesome number though. Love you, Insomniac.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
That probably means GOW was stronger during that same period in America. It's now weeks later when differences everywhere are starting to get more significant.

And yes, congratulations to all the parts involved. What a game!

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Whew, those are some big boy numbers! I'll be picking up a copy alongside a Pro at some point down the line.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested to see where that number ends up after a month or two, i'm guessing easily 8mil