• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Not surprised at all by this. It's a multitude of factors:

1. Great marketing plan with frequent updates and social media presence.
2. True care and support by Marvel with close adherence to a beloved IP.
3. Talented and proven dev team.
4. Good window for release (late summer)
5. Widely accepted rating, appropriate for teens+
6. Overall really great game.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Shit is sad. The fact we are normalizing a previous record holder being broken as some arbitrary thing is just sad.

It's this sort of thing that really makes me wonder all the time what I'm doing talking to gamers. People in the business world who don't even game really are much more in step with reality

For the most part, you aren't talking to gamers. You are talking to people who want ammo for their gaming company fanboy war.

But yeah, it isn't worth it. Least not here. I think sales-era should just set up a discord and call it a day. Too many people with agendas spoil things here.

Well done for sticking it out this long, and Godspeed.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It deserves it.

I don't know if I like it more than the Arkham games but it's a brilliant Spider-Man game and manages to make you feel like the webslinger, which is my metric for success.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Hey I still love Era I'm not leaving completely. I just think I'm done giving any sort of inside info. It's a thankless job and the only reward is stress. I've only ever done it to help the sales community and steer conversation to hopefully a better place but at some point it just stops being worth it

Well then… i loved all your work since the beginning. Good luck. :D

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who expected more knows jack shit about the video game industry and what defines a groundbreaking success.
Everything is relative, but at one point, no matter the context or the expectations, if your game sells more than three millions copies in less than a week, there's simply no way to not admit it's an incredible result.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Congrats to Insomniac on the record-breaking sales. By the way is this normal in gaming?
2nn8Djq.png

18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg

I mean not all of the $60 goes to Sony..

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
All the people coming in saying "I expected more" is literally downplaying the sales as if to say, "Oh I thought it was going to sell 10 million in one hour" or some arbitrary measurement.

I don't think that was their intention but I guess if you see it that way then ok. As I said in a previous post it's impossible to downplay a game that has just broken the first party sales record for Sony.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whew.png

This has got to be Insominac's most successful game to date. Congrats to them and Sony. I still need to get my copy.
Yeah, I don't think that's even in question. They've done a lot of successful "Tier 2" first party games before, but this is going to be the biggest Sony game of the gen, I think. It's Sony's Mario, for the next few years.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Good job on scaring away another person who was giving us sales info. These threads and review threads are always a dumpster fire of jerking off and fanboy wars.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you gonna stay at least for OWL S2?

I want my Outlaws rivals to remain having a presence.

Oh dont worry I'll be all in on some OWL S2 threads

I cant let Fuel off the hook that easy!

Anyways everyone please dont add more discussion about me in this thread. Let's focus on Spidey performance and not shit the thread up. No one wants to read about drama with me I'm sure! They are here for Spidey sales performance

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Shit is sad. The fact we are normalizing a previous record holder being broken as some arbitrary thing is just sad.

It's this sort of thing that really makes me wonder all the time what I'm doing talking to gamers. People in the business world who don't even game really are much more in step with reality
That's a shame yet understandable. Thanks for the previous sales insights and I do hope you stick around.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats.

Off topic but can someone explain the "Talent always wins" I keep seeing in ERA threads?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
While spider-man is huge, everyone making it seem as if marvel properties, a lot of them, aren't massive right now due to the movies. Hell C tier heroes like guardians made bank and are recognized now. Sony, and whatever studios they collab with, will have some business acumen and realize they will pick a character that is popular due to the movies to make a game out of.

I don't disagree. However, more than how popular the IP is, the biggest variable is whether the game will turn out great. The other challenge is finding a great independent dev willing to work on a licensed property with you. Sony and Insomniac makes perfect sense as they have a long history of working together. What other AAA independent devs do Sony trust and would be willing to partner with on a licensed game? Quantic, Housemarque, and Supermassive have long working relationships with Sony, but they don't seem to be equipped to do open-world games. FROM would be awesome, but they seem a little busy right now. ReadyAtDawn maybe, but The Order kind of a dud.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

That 3.3 million number is US only, so we don't actually know if Spider-Man's 3 day debut is bigger than Halo 3.

That was only in the USA, lmao. Halo was insanity huge back in 2007

EDIT: for the record, if i'm not mistaken, Halo 3 sold 2.5 million in one day Worldwide.

Soz fellas. I'm dumb. You're right. Good, as Halo 3 is still the GOAT.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't think that was their intention but I guess if you see it that way then ok. As I said in a previous post it's impossible to downplay a game that has just broken the first party sales record for Sony.

And yet, that's what's people doing with the "I expected more" post.

It's funny becausea Benji is leaving, but he really did predicted how this thread will be to go to a T. Thanks for all the info Benji , your input was always apprecited for us who don't defend a corporation

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
People who expected more knows jack shit about the video game industry and what defines a groundbreaking success.
Everything is relative, but at one point, no matter the context or the expectations, if your game sells more than three millions copies in less than a week, there's simply no way to not admit it's an incredible result.

No wait a moment, let's talk about that.

If someone expected more, it definitively doesn't mean it does not understand anything about the videogame industry, it probabily was just:
  • either too optimist since launch
  • Or got over excited after the firsts news of the sales in many markets.
I, myself, being part of the second category. Was expecting something like those numbers at first, but then after some news i increased my expectations. Was i wrong? Yes… i do not understand anything about market? Cleary no, i follow the videogame market since some years at this point, and even if some times i made some wrong prediction, overall i'm usually spot on and follow with interest many sales data.

Now, to say this is not a good result, THAT'S another story. Everyone saying 3 million in a week for an exclusive like that is not massive, is clearly wrong, that's not only good but also huge.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
And yet, that's what's people doing with the "I expected more" post.

It's funny becausea Benji is leaving, but he really did predicted how this thread will be to go to a T.

Are they? Look at UK and Japan numbers for Spider-man. Using just those I can see why some may have thought that Spider-man was going to blow GoW out of the water and have unrealistic expectations after seeing numbers that are double what GoW did. Not every one of those people are console warring.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's time to officially retire from giving sales info on Era. I've been wasting so much of my time here and its REALLY not worth it. At the end of the days sales discussion will always boil down to hyperbole and console warring

Adios amigos. Catch ya on the flip side

Sad to see you give less info \ being here but i can understand how some people can drive you nuts .

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
There was someone who said Spider-Man will probably only hit 3 million by the end of the year. Oh dear.
I avatar bet a fellow that Spidey will outsell GOW by years end. Here's hoping he's a man of his word. With the T rating, into the spiderverse, and holidays Spider-Man is going to trounce Kratos.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Think it's time to officially retire from giving sales info on Era. I've been wasting so much of my time here and its REALLY not worth it. At the end of the days sales discussion will always boil down to hyperbole and console warring

That really sucks but it's understandable. Thanks for all the insights you've given us, without posters like you I doubt Era would be worth bothering with, what with the constant console wars and trolling going on.

18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg

Box Office numbers don't all go to the film company either but:
a) Sony is the platform holder, so they don't pay any platform royalties (though on Spider-Man they probably pay Marvel royalties)
b) That's retail. Digital is 70% publisher, 30% platform royalties, or in Sony's case, 100% publisher.

Anyway, amazing sales. It's insane that God of War's record, which was already pretty mind blowing, has been broken this quickly. Congrats to Insomniac and Sony.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much more? And why?

don't worry about that poster's expectations..

As i said before, this game gonna sell insane, around 30-35 million LTD.

10 million first month and aroud 30-35m LDT for spidey. mark my words.

This game is going to be the best selling console exclusive of all time, 30-35m ltd. mark my words.

When i said 30-35m life time sales everyone mocked me. That's absolutely possible .

We've to wait for official figures but if SM's sales momentum keeps going like this, there will absolutely be a good chance for this game to reach 30m LTD. you've my words.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg

this chart is outdated.
For example, for digitally-sold copies you can skip "retailer margin" + "cost of goods".

Also, since it's 1st-party exclusive, you can also skip "platform royalty". In addition, "platform royalty" is under NDA and it's different for each platform, so they just guessed that number.

More important, "Data Source: OnLive" :) They made this chart to show that streaming is better for publishers than selling games through retailers.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
People are hungry for decent superhero games I'm not shocked I only this starts a trend of high quality superhero games well even more games

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Having just finished the game I'm so glad it's this successful. As assessible, deep and fantastic as it is, it's a game I'd hope would have as close to the mass market appeal of a MCU movie as possible.

In every aspect it's a demonstration of what a game at its best can be.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Are they? Look at UK and Japan numbers for Spider-man. Using just those I can see why some may have thought that Spider-man was going to blow GoW out of the water and have unrealistic expectations after seeing numbers that are double what GoW did. Not every one of those people are console warring.

Those people are not looking at the days aspects .
Spidey could be blowing GOW out of the water after 2 weeks or even month .
Looking at 2 weeks of data and saying you expected more in 3 days don't make any sense .

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
pretendstobeshocked.gif

This was toootally expected. It's one of the most popular superheroes, plus tons of advertisement from Sony, plus the game being good as fuck and good word of mouth = profit.

I hate congratulating big ass companies so I'm just gonna congratulate Insomniac and all the people who worked their asses off to crate this amazing game. Mad props, Insomniac!

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shame you gonna leave. Anw, you still on twitter so.

Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap!

Dammit, look at what that "I thought it would be more...." BS done, talk about downplay. I'm sorry Benji, but thank you for your insight when you did.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Those people are not looking at the days aspects .
Spidey could be blowing GOW out of the water after 2 weeks or even month .
Looking at 2 weeks of data and saying you expected more in 3 days don't make any sense .

Ok I could just look at first week sales of the game in the UK and Japan and it would still be around double that of GoW. Anyway it was explained by the fact that Spider-man sold less than GoW in EU countries but people didn't have that info until this thread. I'm just saying that people expecting more aren't necessarily saying that for console warring purposes and that it was an expectation based on the numbers we already had.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't really see more than one "expected more" posts lol, perhaps they're all in the ignore list.

Having ruminated on it for a bit I actually liked it more than any of the movies. Yeah different medium and all that but I really felt highs and lows a lot more intimately than watching a film.