zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Over 30 minutes! I'll be updating the OP as I watch.

- Final game has identical texture resolution to the E3 demo. The Spiderman suit material changed (E3 suit was glossy). An artistic change, not technical.
- Per-pixel motion blur. Best implementation they've seen to date. Adjustable in-game.
- No checkerboard rendering on PS4 Pro, uses temporal injection technique used in Ratchet and Clank.
- Adaptive resolution on PS4 Pro. Ranges from 3456x1944 to 2560x1368. Hitting that low point is "extremely rare". Average resolution is 2816x1584. Upgrade from E3 demo which was 1440p.
- Base PS4 also uses adaptive resolution. Most of the time it's 1080p but can hit 900p.
- Building reflections blend between four cube maps depending on height.
- Missing puddles not due to performance issues. Artistic change. Reflection cube map changed from the one used in E3 demo. DF hypothesizes it would have been difficult to re-adjust puddle placement taking the change into account.
- Puddle reflections work the same as they do in the E3 demo.
- Uses volumetric lighting with great shadow quality and ambient occlusion.
- Cars use different types (incandescent, LED) and colors of headlights. Attention to detail overall is pretty nuts.
- Traffic and pedestrian density appears higher in the final game.
- Slight shadow differences in the final game vs the E3 demo. Looks more realistic in the final game. Overall more lighting/artistic differences.
- Texture detail, building interior detail, reflections, and lighting are better in certain scenes in the final game vs. the E3 demo.
- Runs at solid, stable 30fps on both PS4 and PS4 Pro "99% of the time". A dropped frame or two can happen. Motion blur adds to the smooth experience.
- Some scenes require loading. Relatively quick (< 10 seconds).

Last edited:

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
hehehe
RR01wOe.jpg

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this. Super excited to learn some new stuff about game development.

Really hope they counted the amount of puddles in the game.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
soooo can't watch the video right now. how's it run on base ps4? really determines if I get this game or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Every Console Developer.

sAe3B6H.png

MAKE A MENU IDENTICAL TO THIS!!!

I will turn those all off in a heartbeat, with the potential to put blur at 1 or 2.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Motion Blur and Film Grain sliders, and can turn off Chromatic Aberration.

Thanks Insomniac!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Dear Every Console Developer.

sAe3B6H.png

MAKE A MENU IDENTICAL TO THIS!!!

I will turn those all off in a heartbeat, with the potential to put blur at 1 or 2.

I will turn all those off as soon as I start playing.

I'm halfway through the video and I'm loving it. Dark1x how are things going? Are you still a bit burned out or are things working out better?

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So everyone that cried downgrade is going to come in here and eat crow, right? Right? As if..

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
soooo can't watch the video right now. how's it run on base ps4? really determines if I get this game or not.
It runs great on base PS4. Looks fantastic there as well. Seems to drop to the 900p range on occasional - could also vary more but difficult to find examples. Still, image quality is very clean and performance is mostly stable. 99% 30fps locked, I'd say.

Insomniac's engine is really killer, though.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive looks insane for a game running on an original Xbox One I always thought and this is the next iteration of that tech. They know what they're doing.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
It runs great on base PS4. Looks fantastic there as well. Seems to drop to the 900p range on occasional - could also vary more but difficult to find examples. Still, image quality is very clean and performance is mostly stable. 99% 30fps locked, I'd say.

Insomniac's engine is really killer, though.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive looks insane for a game running on an original Xbox One I always thought and this is the next iteration of that tech. They know what they're doing.

Thank you so much!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, different bulbs for different car headlights even. Madness.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Hahahaha, so glad to see DF doing actual analysis and proving the naysayers wrong.

Fantastic job Insomniac

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It wasn't about puddles, it was about ethics in newspaper photo journalism.

Fridge Freezer

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2018
Game has style. Specific textures don't matter so all this puddle nonsense was embarrassing and revealed how there is still a large graphics first audience.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Love love this HAHAHHAHA
Will only help the game me.thinks , owns like this tend to reverberate among the community

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are all the people screaming downgrade ? it is quiet in here ?

Watching the damage control from people who were pushing the downgrade narrative now that DF has weighed in, is absolutely hilarious. I'm not posting any of their tweets but you all should already know the "usual suspects."