• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
should I post this gif again? yeah I think I will

6gUV68K.gif

man, this game looks so freaking good. someone should edit it with him dodging a puddle

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
What i am saying that although it technically looks better, for me it looks worse, so its a downgrade in terms of my visual experience. I just think that the ligting looks way better in the trailer, retail looks flat in comparison. There is also some geometry and effects like smoke missing.

Comparison, a lot of comments seem to agree, however i will draw my final conclusion when i get my hands on the game.

Details were removed, others added.
Some things look better, other things look worse. Removed geometry, but also added geometry elsewhere. Better textures and worse textures. Happens all the time with optimization and the inclusion of new features: things need to be rearranged.

I will say that I liked 2017 lighting, blueish tint and overall aesthetics better, though. Especially, not a fan of this warm yellow grading the retail seems to have.

halo117

Jan 6, 2018
Cool your jets, son. It's good, but c'mon. :)

Haha, I'm actually serious! The way the camera is chasing Spidey, you get the sense of speed because of the yellow construction beams on the left, and the pace at which he turns around, becomes conscious, and then focuses his eyes - honestly Hollywood level! I'm not surprised because a lot of video games have done some cool cut scenes that are comparable to films, but just cool to see it in this!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So, what I've found is that a lot of buildings had meshes moved around. So you might have a roof garden, HVAC system or some other thing that is present on one building but missing in another when comparing shots only to find that they've simply been swapped around in other shots. You can see it during other parts of the comparisons. There's lots of objects simply moved around. Not sure why specifically but that's extremely evident.

That wall texture is interesting. It almost reminds me of a noise texture applied to a base texture as there is a mix of sharp and blurry detail there. They seem to have swapped that texture with this one...

http:///ZbUc.jpg

What do you guys think of the general texturing? I feel like it's generally quite good but that original cement texture seems to look better up-close but more tiled from a distance. Could also be a memory constraint? Or maybe they used a specific asset just for that bit in the cut-scene?

Anyways, some other examples of the texture work in the game for those curious.

http:///acUc.jpg
http:///bcUc.jpg
http:///hcUc.jpg
http:///jcUc.jpg
http:///ccUc.jpg
http:///dcUc.jpg
http:///fcUc.jpg

Here's an example of roof top stuff - they seem to move a lot of this around. Sometimes there are trees, sometimes other objects - it's a random mix of stuff that you'll find on buildings. The exact structure on that exact building has moved, though.

http:///ecUc.jpg

The textures really for me with the detail. It makes me think about what Spider-Man 2 on PS5 will be like (I mean, we all know it's happening). Do you think they'll go to a new location? Or will they take their current NYC, and just enhance it - even better textures and lighting, way more detailed interiors, more enter-able buildings, etc. I really feel like I'd prefer the latter than for them to waste time making a whole new open world from scratch.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It seems people really like the homecoming suit, judging by how often it pops up here. lol. Makes sense, it strikes the best balance between classic comic flair and the practical realism of the movies. It just looks more realistic than the red/white tech suit or whatever it's called.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It seems people really like the homecoming suit, judging by how often it pops up here. lol. Makes sense, it strikes the best balance between classic comic flair and the practical realism of the movies. It just looks more realistic than the red/white tech suit or whatever it's called.
There's just so much more small detail in the texture of the suit too. I'm thinking they must have borrowed from the actual CGI model/textures used for Homecomjng.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Damn the textures look nice. I can understand the appeal of the different lighting of the E3 build and those puddles did look sweet.
That being said and seeing some of those comparison shots I'm glad they scaled back on the puddles. I also prefer the new texture of the suit. I think it looks perfect.
Can't wait to unlock all the suits. Do we know how many there are in the entire game?

Spiderman |OT| Puddle of FUD

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the textures look nice. I can understand the appeal of the different lighting of the E3 build and those puddles did look sweet.
That being said and seeing some of those comparison shots I'm glad they scaled back on the puddles. I also prefer the new texture of the suit. I think it looks perfect.
Can't wait to unlock all the suits. Do we know how many there are in the entire game?

Spiderman |OT| Puddle of FUD

EDIT: Actually 28, they added a new one in the day 1 patch apparently.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017

EDIT: Actually 28, they added a new one in the day 1 patch apparently.
Sweet. I'm already dreading having to decide on a favorite. There will probably be one that looks the coolest but another one that comes with the best stats / skills and it will kill me.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. I'm already dreading having to decide on a favorite. There will probably be one that looks the coolest but another one that comes with the best stats / skills and it will kill me.
You can use other suits skills in whatever suit you want (for example, Spider-Man's Noir power in Spider-Punk suit), no need to use a suit if you don't like the design (best decision ever, I think)

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of the people who's not that big a fan of the "Stark" suit. With even a small amount of motion blur like walking slowly, almost all the web lines can blur because of how thin they are and it ends up looking so smooth that it looks like CG even when CG isn't being used. Despite being a billion dollar handout from Iron Man with Siri in it, the flat texture and smoothness of it make me think of a halloween costume but with expensive cosplayer eyes. Plus the spider on the chest is so small and oddly proportioned it looks a bit like he's Tick-Man tbh. For the live action suits I think TASM2 is my favorite.
24594.jpg

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It is amazing that people have had such a narrow discussion about one or two scenes from a trailer rather than compare extended amounts of footage. From this, aside from the change with cube maps, I am not sure how anyone can see this is a downgrade...I mean, the lighting in the scenes some reference is nowhere near the most visually impressive scene shown in this footage. Couple with that, the lighting tech clearly has really changed anyway. Anyway, it seems it has been established that changes in the cloth appearance is artistic rather than technical. I can understand the preference for the 2017 representation of the suit...It seems a minor issue to me though...those scenes when John discusses the lighting in this game are utterly stunning. I think the baked lighting here is even nicer than AC Unity...very impressive.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
You can use other suits skills in whatever suit you want (for example, Spider-Man's Noir power in Spider-Punk suit), no need to use a suit if you don't like the design (best decision ever, I think)
Whoa, really? So suits have "slots" to equip abilities? That is fucking awesome!
Hype level rising even higher...

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting tidbit about HDR

We've tried to find the right balance with our HDR implementation such that the medium tones and dark tones in the image look the same as they would in non-HDR, but the brightest parts of the image really pop.

Peculiar route to take! Excited to see it for myself!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It seems similar to what I was thinking. Cool. Also looks like we got the average resolution right at 1584p but we also counted above that and below 1440p

Glad they're opening up more about the technique and the improvements being made to it. It would be SO cool if this advanced version was used on every next-gen game.

I really want to see it used on a 60fps title, too. Would be perfect for a 60fps Resistance Collection.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x How do you pixel count a game like this accurately. With temporal injection in play messing with the image it sounds like it'd be difficult to pixel count it in traditional ways?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
All of that sounds great, besides the 30fps, wish they had a performance mode for the pro. I'm sure I'll get used to it in a couple of hours though and the game itself looks incredible, can't wait!

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they're opening up more about the technique and the improvements being made to it. It would be SO cool if this advanced version was used on every next-gen game.

I really want to see it used on a 60fps title, too. Would be perfect for a 60fps Resistance Collection.
I believe OnRush uses a similar technique on the Pro, and it's 60fps.

I'm sure Dark1x would know if that's true.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Since Mods closed a thread i made. I might aswell repost it here.

Looks like it had way more height fog, and particles in the E3 2017 trailer. Also looks like it had better and more cinematic lighting and of course reflections. Watching the video in slo-mo gives it away.

I find DF's analysis more valuable

Not really, DF missed/cherrypicked alot of things. This comparison is different and alot better. Its shot for shot.
You can literally watch it in slo-mo and compare each shot. For example the office running escape scene had lots of fire in E3 footage during the collapse but the final release version didn't. DF didn't mention that.

When you compare it shot by shot you realize the objects in the E3 2007 Footage and even the 2016 footage had more polygons/triangles.

Last edited:

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

Looks like it had way more height fog, and particles in the E3 2017 trailer. Also looks like it had better and more cinematic lighting and of course reflections. Watching the video in slo-mo gives it away.

Not really, DF cherrypicked alot of things. This comparison is different and alot better. Its shot for shot.
You can literally watch it in slo-mo and compare each shot. For example the office running escape scene had lots of fire in E3 footage during the collapse but the final release version didn't. DF didn't mention that.

When you compare it shot by shot you realize the objects in the E3 2007 Footage and even the 2016 footage had more polygons/triangles.

Where's our Detroit Demo?

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Not really, DF cherrypicked alot of things. This comparison is different and alot better. Its shot for shot.

How do you have so much time left when you haven't even finished your Detroit demo yet?

Edit: beaten

Oct 25, 2017

Back out of hiding for 2 months and instantly back to shitting up Spider-Man threads, that's dedication. May as well keep with tradition and ask how that Detroit scene is coming along!

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol I don't know why some of y'all are still hung up on any downgrades. A big reason why downgrades are talked about these days is the shitshow that was the Watch Dogs reveal, and what that game really turned out to look like. There was a big difference, unlike what's going on here which appears to be super minimal.

But looking at spiderman, whatever differences there may be, the game looks PHENOMENAL on the tv. So it's like, who gives a shit what different time of day it was or what puddles may be missing, the game still looks great. May even feature the best looking urban open world game this gen (so far).

So it's really hard for me to care about any of this considering the way the end product looks.

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory derail

Pretty sure Digital Foundry is not a reliable source anymore. Sure, they have detailed analysis but like you said do cherry pick and probably in bed with some of these devs. Just look at their recent most recent analysis of Shenmue remake, it's a disaster.

IGN's comparison here does more than the DF bias video. Throwing in tech lingos around doesn't justify what happened between the demo and the final release, it just makes it that desperate to cover things up.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Pretty sure Digital Foundry is not a reliable source anymore. Sure, they have detailed analysis but like you said do cherry pick and probably in bed with some of these devs. Just look at their recent most recent analysis of Shenmue remake, it's a disaster.

IGN's comparison here does more than the DF bias video. Throwing in tech lingos around doesn't justify what happened between the demo and the final release, it just makes it that desperate to cover things up.

parody post, i hope?!? I bet it is,english is not my first language...

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

That's a shit thing to say. Dark1x has always done an excellent job in his videos, noticing things many people would miss. He isn't going to analyze every single frame of the damn game for you in a shot for shot comparison. Making accusations like you did above without proof is not cool.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So whats the story with the Detroit demo guy?lol
I wouldn't say another level in the case of QB. I would say completely different scope but the same level. One has heavy use of AI, Dynamic Lighting & Shadowing, Groundbreaking Destruction and Object Displacement (DMM) and Heavy VFX with far action camera.

The other is pretty static small environments with heavy post processing with cinematic camera and blurring.
Resources are just being poured somewhere else.

That doesn't take away what Detroit is able to achieve though. As Detroit trumps in character rendering, character lighting, clothing, etc.

But if a studio were to narrow their scope to Detroit's level, they will create identical and even greater visuals.

I can easily prove this by recreating any of the scene from Detroit in UE4.

But we won't see other studios doing this because open world is what's in this gen. But I believe next gen we will have small scope visuals in open world levels.