• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Best looking open world city I've seen. Looks unreal. The detail density, lighting, and amount of life and npcs is fantastic.

C5eYe7Y.gif
at street level this is the most photorealistic open world game I've ever seen, the level of detail is goddamn insane. looking at this gif my mind is at times fooled into thinking that this is actually real, it's a weird as fuck sensation.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hands down the best graphics in an open word this gen.

Graphics aside the detail in this city is absurd, also rockstar has nothing on this games sense of scale. The buildings are just massive

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Graphics aside the detail in this city is absurd, also rockstar has nothing on this games sense of scale. The buildings are just massive

I think Spider-Man will go up against Cyberpunk when it comes to scale. So disappointed that Rockstar went with Red Dead first this gen but it's whatever.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No no, you seemed to misinterpret my postings. The black suit and the hoodie suit look fucking amazing, even in this zoom level, just the DLC suits look like garbage. And yes, sorry if that's a bit exaggerating for some of you but these textures on the Iron suit, holy fuck, that's some low res stuff there, look at this pic on 100%. Also, don't like the dirty look of it.

In selfie mode? Yes, it looks better. Photos in a few minutes.

Pics? it's hard to believe, I installed it completely new with a save from yesterday and it still had these low poly shoes.

I'm starting to doubt myself, I had literally just unlocked that suit when I was looking. I'm trying allsorts to see if I can bring it back.

Meanwhile, I found this

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The city in the Division is really impressive too, the 2nd one will look even more amazing no doubt.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Admittedly I only pop into this thread to curate my ignore list, and each new visit has been fruitful.

I'm always amazed with the effort the DF crew puts into these tech analysis videos. I can imagine these undertakings are rather laborious. Really appreciative of all their hard work!

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
THIS is the one that pisses me off. You just want to spit on someone without knowing the circumstances huh? I pride myself on being super genuine in everything I produce so these types of insults are THE WORST because it's basically saying that all that effort in withholding the up and up isn't worth it.

The Shenmue situation was super difficult due to insane time pressure and the promise of a day 1 patch that would fix things. Hence I focused on the visuals upgrades. I did the best I could in the limited time and, instead of trying to understand it, you just throw around insults. My experience was solid with the game, for the record - I tested 2-3 hours of both games across four platforms and have since finished Shenmue 1 on Xbox One X. This is a very rare situation and highly unexpected. You have no idea how much this Shenmue situation has stressed me out, though. I'm so angry about what happened there that I almost never even want to think about Shenmue again. When I look at the game, I think of all the shit I've received since that video. So I guess Shenmue is forever tainted which sucks because it was one of my favorites.

So - answer me directly - why do you feel the need to use insults like this? What is so important about this game that you NEED to make someone feel like shit? I want to hear your explanation for it. You clearly don't want actual discussion.

LTTP - I love your work, please keep it up and don't feed the trolls/let the internets get you down!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is kind of a mixed bag for me. Gameplay, cinematics, world design is all spectacular but the graphics feel a little uneven. When on the ground, the game looks like the best open world game ever. So many NPCs, cars, shadows and little details everywhere it feels like a linear game. I mean it looks better than that Madcasgar market scene in Uncharted 4 which is quite insane for a massive open world game.

But once you go on the roofs, the buildings dont look as good. It's weird because when you are climbing up buildings or running alongside them, they look to have this current gen sheen we have gotten so used to. The screenshots posted above show how low res some of the buildings look. it almost looks like textures painted on them. I preferred the way infamous second son buildings looked. they had this great thick feeling to them that made brick buildings look different from glass and steel buildings. Is that due to PBR?

That said, the skyline is absolutely crazy. The NYC skyline always blows my mind every time i visit simply because how dense it feels and they have done an incredible job capturing that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boy do the 'controversies' and debates seem even dumber after having played this game for 8 hours.

giphy.gif

Puddlegate they scream, as I rock up to a building site that has so many puddles it might as well be one big puddle lol.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game a lot and I have to say, I really do not like the colour changes they made to the daytime lighting. It has this warm yellow look which often ends up making things look dull when you are swinging up high. Everything looks great on ground level but high up where you don't have this level of density of details the stress falls on the lighting to make the game look good and I honestly prefer the cool tone of the E3 video than what the game has right now.

And I have to mention that from what I can tell it isn't just due to an overcast day like John mentioned in his video but rather a colourgrading change. everything else is great though, bar some animations while walking and wallcrawling on buildings but that's to be expected as you don't do those much.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This game is kind of a mixed bag for me. Gameplay, cinematics, world design is all spectacular but the graphics feel a little uneven. When on the ground, the game looks like the best open world game ever. So many NPCs, cars, shadows and little details everywhere it feels like a linear game. I mean it looks better than that Madcasgar market scene in Uncharted 4 which is quite insane for a massive open world game.

But once you go on the roofs, the buildings dont look as good. It's weird because when you are climbing up buildings or running alongside them, they look to have this current gen sheen we have gotten so used to. The screenshots posted above show how low res some of the buildings look. it almost looks like textures painted on them. I preferred the way infamous second son buildings looked. they had this great thick feeling to them that made brick buildings look different from glass and steel buildings. Is that due to PBR?

That said, the skyline is absolutely crazy. The NYC skyline always blows my mind every time i visit simply because how dense it feels and they have done an incredible job capturing that.
Yes, I said this last night. On one hand you've got some of the most sublime texture work we've ever seen between the Spidey suits and even washing machines (see Boris' tweet). But on the other hand, the roof and wall textures on the buildings often look like low-res mush, and combined with the low-res textures, makes things not look so good when you're hopping around from roof to roof. It's just a mixed bag - but I think it's the insane texture detail on some objects that makes the other stuff stand out like a sore thumb.

I think the texture filtering or LoD management might just be too aggressive, as the wall textures don't usually look bad when you're close up to them, it's when they're (guessing) 10-15m+ away from you.

Overall though, the game is very impressive visually and the framerate is pretty much rock solid in my experience. There's lots of visual variety too when you go inside places etc. And the colours really pop in HDR, Spidey looks great. It's not impressing me on the level of HZD though, nowhere near.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puddlegate they scream, as I rock up to a building site that has so many puddles it might as well be one big puddle lol.
i dont want to get into this especially since i have tried to avoid it for almost a week now, but the puddles just dont reflect the environments like they did in the E3 demo. you're right, i have only played for like an hour and have run into like ten buildings with puddles, several alleys with puddles, and even some indoor areas with puddles. this game should be called Puddle-Man.

But those puddles just dont reflect like they did in the demo. they barely even reflect anything. the main reason why that E3 demo shot looked so good was how the puddles reflected back the light and gave it a more realistic feel. now they are just textures on the ground that dont do much.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
i dont want to get into this especially since i have tried to avoid it for almost a week now, but the puddles just dont reflect the environments like they did in the E3 demo. you're right, i have only played for like an hour and have run into like ten buildings with puddles, several alleys with puddles, and even some indoor areas with puddles. this game should be called Puddle-Man.

But those puddles just dont reflect like they did in the demo. they barely even reflect anything. the main reason why that E3 demo shot looked so good was how the puddles reflected back the light and gave it a more realistic feel. now they are just textures on the ground that dont do much.
...but you understand why it's different now, right? It's just a different, more generic texture in use. The box projected cube-map from the demo was made for that room but I'd imagine that wasn't feasible for the whole game so they came up with a method that is applicable to the game as a whole. There's nothing fancy at all about the E3 reflections.

Oct 27, 2017
The PSBlog entry mentioned this about character models: "Every character has an extreme-quality model that's used for close-ups, cutscenes, and scripted action sequences"

So that photomode pic where the geometry is seen might be a bug or a condition where it can't compensate and ring in the extreme-quality model. I guess we'll see whether this gets remedied over time.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the game a lot and I have to say, I really do not like the colour changes they made to the daytime lighting. It has this warm yellow look which often ends up making things look dull when you are swinging up high. Everything looks great on ground level but high up where you don't have this level of density of details the stress falls on the lighting to make the game look good and I honestly prefer the cool tone of the E3 video than what the game has right now.

And I have to mention that from what I can tell it isn't just due to an overcast day like John mentioned in his video but rather a colourgrading change. everything else is great though, bar some animations while walking and wallcrawling on buildings but that's to be expected as you don't do those much.

Definitely agree, the colour grading is probably my only complaint so far, looked more natural before

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The PSBlog entry mentioned this about character models: "Every character has an extreme-quality model that's used for close-ups, cutscenes, and scripted action sequences"

So that photomode pic where the geometry is seen might be a bug or a condition where it can't compensate and ring in the extreme-quality model. I guess we'll see whether this gets remedied over time.

This rather sounds as if they have two versions of each suit, because they didn't mention gameplay there, just cutscenes, closeups and scripted scenes...

It is weird however, because some suits, like the classic suit and the Homecoming suit, feature the same model quality in cutscenes and in gameplay. So technical limitations can't be the reason. It really must be a bug or just an oversight.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...but you understand why it's different now, right? .
Yes and no. This whole puddlegate along with the Nvidia RTX tech has exposed how little i know about how reflections work in video games. After watching your vid specifically the section on the puddles, and reading your posts here, i have come to understand that these puddles are just textures and the reflections in them are faked. And seeing the RTX demo for BF1, it seems that is/was a norm across the board?

But i could swear seeing reflections (real-time or not, i sincerely dont know) in games like DriveClub and Infamous Second Son.

Infamous_SecondSon_Alley.jpg

Infamous_Second_Son.jpg

Infamous-Second-Son-Screenshot-11.jpg

CmP9-c6XEAA97Tr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So are all rainy streets and puddles this gen just textures? If so, how was infamous able to reflect the moving car's neon lights on the streets? DriveClub looked incredible in the rain and the screenshot above is actually mine from a few years ago. those look like realtime reflections to me. Is that not the case?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He need another thread fpr the HDR version? Its already on.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to buy a PS4 for this game (and for the exclusives that I have missed)
Would you say I should go for a slim or Pro? I don't have a 4K TV

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017

I guess that's the sacrifice they had to make in order to achieve that incredible draw distance. They just expect people to spend more time relatively still on the ground than in the air and thus the difference in texture detail. This whole thing reminded me how amazingly well the graphics of Second Son are holding up even today.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jstevenson, sorry to bother you like this, but could you maybe find out if the quality discrepancy of the suits in gameplay and cutscenes is a bug or something of that sort or just let the developers know about it? It is weird that some models retain their very high quality during gameplay (classic suit, Homecoming suit etc.) and some do not (Punk suit, iron suit etc.).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no. This whole puddlegate along with the Nvidia RTX tech has exposed how little i know about how reflections work in video games. After watching your vid specifically the section on the puddles, and reading your posts here, i have come to understand that these puddles are just textures and the reflections in them are faked. And seeing the RTX demo for BF1, it seems that is/was a norm across the board?

But i could swear seeing reflections (real-time or not, i sincerely dont know) in games like DriveClub and Infamous Second Son.

Infamous_SecondSon_Alley.jpg

Infamous_Second_Son.jpg

Infamous-Second-Son-Screenshot-11.jpg

CmP9-c6XEAA97Tr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So are all rainy streets and puddles this gen just textures? If so, how was infamous able to reflect the moving car's neon lights on the streets? DriveClub looked incredible in the rain and the screenshot above is actually mine from a few years ago. those look like realtime reflections to me. Is that not the case?
I understand the confusion but most reflections in those games are the same as Spider-Man - they combine cube-maps with screen-space reflections.

SSR is what you're seeing most in those shots and it's in Spider-Man as well.

The basic gist is that screen data (stuff in screen space, if you will) is used as a source to calculate real-time reflections. They can look excellent but they have a flaw - they rely on data in screen-space. If you have something off-screen it can't be reflected, basically.

If you load up Infamous and look at something reflected, try tilting the camera down - once the object is off-screen it won't be reflected any longer. It disappears.

So cube-maps are often used alongside these to help give maintain the illusion. It's even possible to update the cube-map texture every frame to create moving, active reflections - but this is expensive and typically reserved for vehicles in a driving game (and, if you look closely, all cars using cube-maps will share one reflection source - when you drive under a bridge, that same bridge reflection will appear on other cars).

The thing is, SSR is great for a driving game with a fixed camera perspective but if you have free camera movement, it can break often.

There are other solutions too like planar reflections, which is used by games like Half-Life 2. Those aren't a good choice, though, as they are *VERY* expensive to render and have other limitations. You're basically redrawing the scene a second time but inverted (a secondary invisible camera basically provides the source).

RTX reflections avoid all of these limitations.

In the case of Spider-Man, what they did during E3 is to basically project a texture beneath the room with a rough approximation of what reflections would look like when the camera position is centered in the room. This is combined with SSR allowing dynamic objects to render properly. The cube-map is still approximate but it's hard to make out detail due to the water surface distortion. Lining up such box projected cube-maps isn't an easy task, however, and requires a lot of specific work every time it's used. I believe The Order uses a lot of very carefully placed cube-maps for its reflections but it's a super linear game.

From what I can tell, they simply eliminated those room specific cube-map textures and replaced them with ones that are more general in nature - ie, they can be utilized in many areas throughout the world in combination with SSR and still look 'good enough'.

So the E3 method isn't really more computationally expensive unless they used a super high-res texture which could eat into the memory budget but it certainly doesn't appear that way. The artists did a good job there in that demo and that's because it was a highly tuned demo - they could afford to spend that time but likely realized that it wasn't really feasible to do that across the whole game and found another solution. Just a case of running into a production problem and solving it, I'd imagine.

That's a very very basic attempt to describe it but hopefully that gives you a better idea of what you're seeing in those other games.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I understand the confusion but most reflections in those games are the same as Spider-Man - they combine cube-maps with screen-space reflections.

SSR is what you're seeing most in those shots and it's in Spider-Man as well.

The basic gist is that screen data (stuff in screen space, if you will) is used as a source to calculate real-time reflections. They can look excellent but they have a flaw - they rely on data in screen-space. If you have something off-screen it can't be reflected, basically.

If you load up Infamous and look at something reflected, try tilting the camera down - once the object is off-screen it won't be reflected any longer. It disappears.

So cube-maps are often used alongside these to help give maintain the illusion. It's even possible to update the cube-map texture every frame to create moving, active reflections - but this is expensive and typically reserved for vehicles in a driving game (and, if you look closely, all cars using cube-maps will share one reflection source - when you drive under a bridge, that same bridge reflection will appear on other cars).

The thing is, SSR is great for a driving game with a fixed camera perspective but if you have free camera movement, it can break often.

There are other solutions too like planar reflections, which is used by games like Half-Life 2. Those aren't a good choice, though, as they are *VERY* expensive to render and have other limitations. You're basically redrawing the scene a second time but inverted (a secondary invisible camera basically provides the source).

RTX reflections avoid all of these limitations.

In the case of Spider-Man, what they did during E3 is to basically project a texture beneath the room with a rough approximation of what reflections would look like when the camera position is centered in the room. This is combined with SSR allowing dynamic objects to render properly. The cube-map is still approximate but it's hard to make out detail due to the water surface distortion. Lining up such box projected cube-maps isn't an easy task, however, and requires a lot of specific work every time it's used. I believe The Order uses a lot of very carefully placed cube-maps for its reflections but it's a super linear game.

From what I can tell, they simply eliminated those room specific cube-map textures and replaced them with ones that are more general in nature - ie, they can be utilized in many areas throughout the world in combination with SSR and still look 'good enough'.

So the E3 method isn't really more computationally expensive unless they used a super high-res texture which could eat into the memory budget but it certainly doesn't appear that way. The artists did a good job there in that demo and that's because it was a highly tuned demo - they could afford to spend that time but likely realized that it wasn't really feasible to do that across the whole game and found another solution. Just a case of running into a production problem and solving it, I'd imagine.

That's a very very basic attempt to describe it but hopefully that gives you a better idea of what you're seeing in those other games.

Ahhhh, ray-tracing. I wish they could put it in the next-gen systems without spending like $700 per unit.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Kratos, Spidey has multiple LODs. Letting the highest one loose in photo-mode should be uncontroversial. No idea if they stream his highest LOD though, that could be why you're not seeing it in some cases.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I checked the spider punk suit out and I seem to have the same issue with it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I think it is the balance they have to strike given hardware limitations. YOu move much, much faster in this compared to say Horizon, and it probably has to deal with much more geometric density given the setting.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is a little bit disappointing and what hasn't been addressed yet is that the game apparently uses different character models during gameplay and cutscenes/menus/selfie camera mode.
I noticed it first on the Spider-Punk costume where the model quality discrepancy is very noticable.
This is how the model looks in cutscenes/menus/selfie camera mode:

29591708907_07f8196012_o.png

This is how it looks during gameplay and in photomode (outside selfie mode). Polygon edges are clearly visible (head outline, shoulders, buttons, hands...) and the web lines on the face are partly incomplete:

29591708337_2fbe70fea0_o.png

44527553411_ac371a2a36_o.png

30657829268_ddc2d6b327_o.png

The same discrepancy of gameplay and cutscene models applies to other costumes except the classic Spiderman suit that players start the game with. It seems to be both in gameplay and cutscenes of great quality.
It's unfortunate the quality loss even affects the new white spider spidersuit of the game. There are visible polygon edges (knee) and crude texturing (white parts on the heels):

43618643255_f4f91ab997_o.png

42718824240_43e0bce6e4_o.png

It looks like here the game didn't manage to switch to it's higher quality close up LOD model in time, and has instead loaded a medium to long distance LOD model instad. I've tested things and got up right up close, and the polygonal geometry matches that of photo mode.

Direct gameplay.

c5bMarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

d0aMarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x Do you feel they should have kept the better map solution for just the E3 section they did while using the more basic stuff for the rest of the game to avoid all the complaining that followed, or is it a full game-wide solution that couldn't have done both ? I imagine it must be the latter since they had to scrap what was already done.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Homecoming suit is easily my favourite. Catch it in the right light and it almost looks real.

a63MarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

741MarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a couple hours in the game. Mostly spent web swinging around the city. Graphics are amazing. The detail on the most random things are great.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's my TV or just the time of day the game's in at the beginning (sunset) but the game seems slightly too dark in spots, like the contrast seems out of whack. It's bothering me a bit but I want to see how it looks in other times of day before I start messing with the TV. Thing was a damn nightmare to set up properly to begin with...freakin smart TVs.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like here the game didn't manage to switch to it's higher quality close up LOD model in time, and has instead loaded a medium to long distance LOD model instad. I've tested things and got up right up close, and the polygonal geometry matches that of photo mode.

Direct gameplay.

c5bMarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

d0aMarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

I captured this image a few hours ago - seems like the reveal trailer lighting is still in the game?

Marvel_s_Spider-_Man_20180909131449.png

Yeah, can confirm both of these. I just started playing yesterday.

After being in that crazy thread to finally playing, that thread looks even more insane, lol.

Even the starting suit, depending on the light it will look shiny or like cloth.

it even gets damaged after the first mission and so far is still damaged. And dirty.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London