• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Release date: October 23, 2018

PlayStation Universe 9/10
Though its vision might be restrained somewhat, The Heist nonetheless makes a compelling case for itself as a hugely satisfying and essential continuation of Marvel's Spider-Man.

Digital Chumps 9/10
The ending of this first installment of the DLC certainly ends on a cliffhanger, leaving us excited for November's content. Whether you play it now or wait until all three DLCs are out, The Heist is definitely worth the price of admission and the four hours it takes to complete.

Game Revolution 4/5
Spider-Man's first episode is fantastic in almost all the same ways that the main game is. It has a great script with well-realized characters and a combat and traversal gameplay loop that is almost endlessly satisfying.

IGN 7.8/10
Black Cat's intro is great, but the first DLC episode feels more like a first act than satisfying, standalone content.

Destructoid 7.5/10
Insomniac managed to keep The Heist grounded within the foundation of Spider-Man to allow it to momentarily shine.

Just Push Start 7/10
What stands out about Spider-Man: The Heist isn't the content, though there are a fairly substantial amount of cutscenes, but how little it adds. Even if some things are different or new, they don't much value. Costumes don't add new powers, nor do abilities change, so the main motivator is story, followed by trophies. Combine this with there just being a hint of an upcoming confrontation with a major villain and it's the type of experience that might lead to greater things but isn't great itself. So, unless you're dying to play more, I strongly suggest waiting to see where this adventure goes.

Gamereactor 7/10
The Heist is not a particularly impressive or memorable expansion - since it's more of the same for the most part - but it's fun and it comes with some interesting moments.

PlayStation LifeStyle 6.5/10
While The Heist has a strong story—or at least the start of one—it doesn't fill out the world or give Peter any additional gameplay growth.

Game Informer (unscored) - "A Fantastic Continuation"
The Heist is well worth your time, especially if the post-credits sequences in the main game have you counting the days until a potential Spider-Man 2.

EGM NOW (unscored) - Good, but far from essential"
The Heist is a fun little way to spend more time with the delightful gameplay, characters, and world of Marvel's Spider-Man, but it certainly doesn't feel like a complete, satisfying expansion on its own. I'm not even sure it feels like a third of one, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if The City That Never Sleeps pulls out something special across its next two chapters.

Tag me with other reviews you find and I'll add them here.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Seems solid, but also sounds like I'll have a better experience when all 3 are out, which is my plan.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to wait til all 3 are out, NG+ til RDR2 is out, then once I'm tired of that I'll return. Decent reviews so far though.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
I expected about as much (okayish/solidish reviews), considering the timing of the release, and the price of each episode. I just hope that the three DLC story arc is satisfying enough.

Still, looking forward to playing this, as there seems to be enough there to keep fans wanting more going.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely something that would not have worked during the main game like people assumed, and it's one part of a larger story so I understand why some reviewers would find it inessential. But aside from that I enjoyed the DLC. Aside from some subtitle issues and a personal dislike of how a side quest ended (predictable and feels pointless), it looked and played fantastically on my base PS4. Loved the new challenges and the dynamics between the characters.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely something that would not have worked during the main game like people assumed, and it's one part of a larger story so I understand why some reviewers would find it inessential. But aside from that I enjoyed the DLC. Aside from some subtitle issues and a personal dislike of how a side quest ended (predictable and feels pointless), it looked and played fantastically on my base PS4. Loved the new challenges and the dynamics between the characters.
Assuming you went for 100% of the DLC how long did it take you?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for all 3 and a pass discount.

Feels more like proper sidequests.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I loved Spiderman a lot and currently sit at 94% complete.

Think I'm going to wait on all the DLC to drop and a potential price cut though. I will pick it up, I just don't see it going to be essential

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep! i'll wait for the complete edition and rebuy, glad I sold it when I did, I somehow made money out of it :/

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I think I'm going to wait til all 3 are out, NG+ til RDR2 is out, then once I'm tired of that I'll return. Decent reviews so far though.

Kind of feeling like this. I loved it and 100% it the first go around, having only 3-4 hours to go back still won't do it for me right now although I know I can finish the DLC in probably a day. I might just wait for all the DLC to come out by January, do NG+ and then binge through the DLC to make that play through so much better and have a better experience by being able to play all of the DLC together

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about what everyone expected. I'll wait until the next dead period between games to pick it up, not really in a hurry for more of the same.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is the DLC something for post-game or is it to be done as a side story to the main game? (Haven't pulled the trigger on the main game yet)

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks meh, still more spidey. Just gonna wait for all DLC to drop before plunging in. The holiday is too stacked now that it's an easy choice

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
seems ok, but I'll prob wait to see how the others shape up before deciding whether or not to buy it

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Does any review mention anything about new enemy types? Really want to know, since I really don't want a bunch of more convicts/regular-ass soldiers.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think I'll wait for all three pieces to be released and play them all in one go. I got the pass, but there's other games I want to go through first.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Does any review mention anything about new enemy types? Really want to know, since I really don't want a bunch of more convicts/regular-ass soldiers.
Prepare to be disappointed.

Just regular enemies the whole way through. Only new one is a brute with a machine gun, which is brutal since there are encounters with like four brutes and two of them have the guns

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'll be playing later tonight, want to finish it right before RDR2.. Will come back in November for the 2nd episode as soon as I finish this one.

For me November is gonna be like :

- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Astro Bot (backlog)
- Spider Man Turf War