• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9 Spoilers
ozJEyho.gif

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Show is clearly setting up Frank Castle as the Punisher. They decided this version of Frank has a very complex origin beyond a mob hit gone wrong so they are spending that time to let that origin play out and be punished. They have hinted at the Gnucci Crime Family etc. so that will be coming.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just now realized who
Rawlings

was supposed to be. Damn what a neutered version of him.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The Show is clearly setting up Frank Castle as the Punisher. They decided this version of Frank has a very complex origin beyond a mob hit gone wrong so they are spending that time to let that origin play out and be punished. They have hinted at the Gnucci Crime Family etc. so that will be coming.
Hopefully. I see where they're going with the military angle and it has its pros and cons, but it needs to stop here. There's shades of the real Punisher in the show, but they need to let him run wild.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Micro reading The Life of Pi while he and Frank where going to meet Gunner. Wonder if that was referencing him being trapped in a Van with Frank lol

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Micro reading The Life of Pi while he and Frank where going to meet Gunner. Wonder if that was referencing him being trapped in a Van with Frank lol

Later in the show, you can see Life of Pi on a table in Sarah's house. I think it's a little Easter Egg to show how Micro is trying to stay close with his wife.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I would put Punisher and Luke Cage as a tie, but same list. LC had higher highs and lower lows. Punisher was just kinda mediocre throughout. Though, if you're as big a fan of the character as I am, you might rank it at the bottom of the list.

Hmm I dunno... there are a lot of different Punisher takes I have read/seen and this certainly is not the worst imo. A bit more "punishing" would've been nice though I did enjoy focusing on Frank Castle as a person.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I love this Punisher so far, it only took a couple of episodes to, imo, rate it above the dullness of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I didn't even bother with Iron Fist.

After the lukewarm but mildly entertaining Defenders, they really needed a hit and I feel this is it.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this is really good. I'm at Episode 9 and I rank this about equal to Daredevil Season 1 and Jessica Jones, all three are tied for me. I definitely think Punisher has the overall better cast and everyone has great, crackling chemistry with each other. And they've definitely been giving him a more complicated origin, which I don't think is necessarily bad. I'm gonna leave my full thoughts for when I wrap up the season. But it does seem that Lightfoot and co have a plan for Season 2, so while season 1 is the military conspiracy angle, I'm thinking it's laying the foundations for a more classical Punisher in Season 2.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A few thoughts:

1) The cast is uniformly good. Everyone's great, and special shoutouts to Bernthal and Moss. Great chemistry, great pairing, just a joy to watch on screen. Better than the other pairings in the other shows by far.
2) I actually think the subplots are quite good compared to the stuff we dealt with in the other Netflix shows. Yes, pacing suffers a bit and it's a bit overly long, but I think all the subplots are pretty compelling and are tying together quite well.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I am halfway through first episode and this is already better than anything in Iron fist. What a difference a good actor makes.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
How would people rank this among the Marvel Netflix shows? Just curious

I'm not done, but this is easily on par with season one Daredevil. The only thing that would allow Daredevil to be higher would be Kingpin. Didn't watch Jessica Jones and, basing her character on Defenders, I have no intention to. Same goes for Iron Fist.

Luke Cage could've been better if not for Luke slap boxing everyone instead of being a competent fighter and that craptastic villain.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best Netflix Marvel show by far. Fucking loved it.

I could tell by how 13 episodes didn't feel like an eternity. Looking at you everything except DD season 1.

More punishing would have been nice but I loved this take on Frank Castle.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, stuff is picking up much faster after EP 7. Love the culmination of the PTSD Soldier subplot. That was done really well (hilarious dialogue from the senator dude aside). That scene with Curtis and Frank in episode 9... Fuck, so well done.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
How would people rank this among the Marvel Netflix shows? Just curious

DD S1
Luke Cage pre-death of a certain character
Punisher
JJ without Dr Who / DD S2 without Elektra
I can't even bother listing the rest in order because it's just so annoying to think about, and then
Iron Fist

Needs more Sarah Liebermann

November

Oct 27, 2017
This might be my favorite between DD S2. DD S2 is the only one that I rewatched, but I'll probably rewatch Punisher for the gunplay. Loved Frank and Micro's friendship.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i've only watched Daredevil S1 and JJ, can I start Punisher or should I watch DD S2 first?

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I was kinda interested in this, but 13 episodes again. Ugh. Too much. I feel like Luke Cage will have been my last Marvel show.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the show was strong throughout. The cast was excellent and I enjoyed the time spent on veteran's issues. The action was good, almost too much for me sometimes, but my favorite part of the show was actually the times when Frank just gets to be a normal person, giving us a glimpse of what his life could have been like. It was nice.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking purely about performances, not the whole show, Castle was/is my favorite one from the Netflix universe so far, even though he might not be what I wanted or expected sometimes from the Punisher, I loved it.

Berenthal nailed the role, I'm legit surprised.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I think this is going to be my current order of things.

Punisher
DD S1
Jessica Jones
DD S2
Defenders
Iron Fist
Luke Cage

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I loved it. But so far I have enjoyed all the Marvel shows. Strangely enough I don't usually like the movies.

Anyway, Castle is a great character. I was invested in what was going to happen to him. Actually I think I liked all the characters which usually there is at least one I don't like. I hope we get a season 2.

Daredevil
Punisher
The Defenders
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist

I think is how I would rank them.

Buffer

Oct 27, 2017
1. Punisher = DD S01
2. Luke Cage (First Half)
3. Jessica Jones
4. DD S02
5. The rest/Don't care

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I would say its at the top of the list for me. I can see why some people might be disappointed. If you expected balls to the walls Punisher violence at all times then yeah it will be slow. It is a origin story that was hinted at in DDS2 fleshed out fully.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Only 7-8 episodes in but I'm not really liking it. I'll push through because I'm interested enough, but this seems more like a spin-off of Homeland than any Marvel show. I feel like so many episodes have been Castle doing mostly nothing. Liked the first two episodes and then it went straight down hill.