• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the show earlier today, I thought it was fine.
Could have done with half the no of episodes and a more focused show but thats my gripe with a lot of modern tv.
Also hope that they wont just do a S02.
Have him show up somewhere but not be the main focus. Frank Castle as flavour to another hero ala DD S02

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This show's soundtrack has this sorta gong noise in it that sounds almost exactly like Amazon Echo's alarm. Every time I hear it I think an alarm is going off in a room nearby, haha.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why these are still 13 episodes long? Is it a contract thing or some kind of tax loophole or what? Every single fucking review since DDS1 has said that these series are excruciatingly long and need to be pared down to 6-8 episodes instead.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why these are still 13 episodes long? Is it a contract thing or some kind of tax loophole or what? Every single fucking review since DDS1 has said that these series are excruciatingly long and need to be pared down to 6-8 episodes instead.

I always assumed the episode amount and length was for the possibility of repackaging them for TV, but it's been this long without it ever happening, so I'm not sure.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This show's soundtrack has this sorta gong noise in it that sounds almost exactly like Amazon Echo's alarm. Every time I hear it I think an alarm is going off in a room nearby, haha.
Yep. Numerous times my gf and I have looked over to the Echo thinking an alarm was going off.

I'm only on the 5th episode, but so far I do not like this show. I'm still hoping it gets better, but right now I hate all the characters and I don't know if that's going to change.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if they don't want to go with a weird number of episodes like 6-8, 10 episodes seems rather standard for many series. Pretty much every Netflix show in existence would be improved with a reduced episode count from 13 to 10, aside from those with no ongoing story so length/padding is irrelevant.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking it episode 9.
My biggest worry was about him not having a good sidecast to keep it interesting but I think I enjoy how he interacts with all the different characters.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I have only watched daredevil season 1, Jessica jones, and iron fist. Can i watch this or do i need to finish the rest of the marvel series first?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Punisher seems to go out of his way to make sure people don't see his face. Why doesn't he just wear a mask?

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

I believe they did have a deal with New York related to episodes that gives them big tax breaks

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Am I remembering wrong or wasn't Castle's whole thing in DD S2 that he was riddled with bullets at one point and that was where the whole skull x-ray came from? Seems weird he is only noted to have one gun shot scar this season.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Their original deal was for 13 eps each of DD, JJ, Cage, and Iron Fist, and 8 for Defenders. I assume when they re-upped their deal, all those episode amounts remained the same.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen 25 minutes but that intro was sick. Besides those two civilians thinking the guy in the bathroom was being dirty which was just weird. I really love Frank's portrayal during his job, taking down that wall cause he needs to let loose some emotions. And how distant he is to the new guy.

Cbrun44

Just wrapped episode 11. Still impressed this has held up until this point based on previous series output. Really, really enjoying this. And I'm a big Marvel comics guy but have never enjoyed The Punisher.

I hate pretty much all the Marvel Netflix programming. Maybe this is just different enough for me.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Apart from the usual complaint of length, I loved this show. Maybe my favourite in the Marvel scheme of things? Well acted for the most part, good dialogue, great cast...

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was hoping Rosario Dawson would at least have a cameo.

Overall, I liked it. Unlike the other Marvel shows, it felt like it was closer to the right length; the later episodes stayed solid. They could have probably
cut the Army kid's storyline to make it a bit more focused, but it did fit the theme well, so it didn't feel out of place or anything.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish

Micro had no family. I know that it would change some things, but it would still be doable.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Rosario Dawson is not in?

Thank God, finally a Netflix show without her. And I don't say this because I think she's a bad actress. She's really good. But she's been wasted in a lot of these shows.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm convinced this series has seen the best Netflix marvel villian besides Kingpin

Billy Mother F'in Russo....what a dick

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Man, this is the most mixed reception I think I've ever seen for a piece of media without it being due to fanboyism or other external factors. Everybody in this thread and even the critics are all over the damn place.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the show.
Having not read the comics, the violence in the latter halves of the two episodes is just... gruesome.

I like the show though, but like most of the Netflix shows it has pacing issues. Some of the subplots ended up dragging and I'm not sure where else to lay the blame except on the 13 episode length. The stuff with Sarah + kids, Homeland Security, and Frank's dreams/flashbacks was decent but sometimes felt forced in and sometimes grinded the show to a halt. Despite that though, I felt the show was quality. Most if not all the vet stuff was well done.

How would people rank this among the Marvel Netflix shows? Just curious

DDS1 > Punisher = DDS2 (with Castle) >> Luke Cage (before
Cottonmouth
> DDS2 (with Elektra) >> Jessica Jones >>>>>> Iron Fist/Defenders

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I had to watch quite a bit of it on 1.4x speed because the subplots were so dull.

Pros:
+ Jon Bernthal gives one of the best MCU Netflix performances to date
+ Micro could've been a lame comedy sidekick but he was actually great. Nice to see Desi from Girls getting more work
+ The actress who played the lead female investigator was trying really hard even if her character was pretty boring
+ Ben Barnes really impressed me. Never expected him to do a role like this, very convincing American accent too
+ Some great gore
+ Solid action direction for the most part, certainly much better than Iron Fist or Defenders
+ Intriguing focus on PTSD and consequences of violence...for like 3 episodes

Cons:
- It's at least 5 episodes too long. Should've been 6-8 eps total. Why wasn't The Defenders 13 eps instead? I'm assuming Netflix have data that tells them 13 eps is the optimal amount people tune in for, but scheduling probably prevented Defenders having that many.
- So many boring subplots. The procedural investigations in particular just killed the pacing and had me tuning out big time. It's like all the Rand business shit in Iron Fist. Just zzzzzzzzzzz
- Inconsistent tone. Wants to be thoughtful then glorifies a dude getting his face turned into a bloody paste the next minute. Does this loads
- Frank doesn't wear his signature outfit for 75% of the show
- Direction is very inconsistent among directors
- Embarrassing PG-13 sex scenes where every boob and dong is strategically covered up. But profane language and buckets of gore is fine? Fuck outta here.
- Laughably cliched final showdown
- A few awful VFX moments

boring? She's more exciting than Frank.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
4 episodes to go for me. So far I'm loving it! I'm also not feeling the usual 13 episode fatigue I did with the other Marvel shows. The pace in this feels good to me and none of the episodes had a filler or wasted feel so far. The performances are top notch and the plot is fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Getting close to the end. Can't say I am in love with it. It had one very interesting subplot but mostly I feel this show lacks the bite I wanted from a Punisher series. It's not bad, I don't think any of the Marvel Netflix shows are, but at this point the novelty has worn off for me. Punisher was a perfect chance to break the mold and go in a darker direction. Instead we get another show that spends too long meandering in backstories and subplots that feature characters I just am not interested in. Two episodes left, maybe it can turn into something special.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I've binge watched pretty much 12 episodes in one sitting with one small sleep break. Gonna do some groceries and watch the final episode.
Having lost interest in most Netflix Marvel show after DareDevil s1 and Jessica Jones, this one is pretty great. Jon Bernthal is fantastic.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Finished it.

I actually felt that the show justified and made good use of the 13 episodes. Not like the others where you could definitely feel the drag. I really liked it. Definitely a return to form. Feels like it could fit right alongside Daredevil S1&2.

Daredevil S1 > Daredevil S2 (Epi.1-4) > Luke Cage (Epi.1-7) > Jessica Jones > Punisher > Daredevil S2 (Epi.5-13) > Luke Cage (Epi.8-13) > Defenders > Iron Fist

Edit: Some of the music choices were pretty great too. Hearing Hell Broke Luce was hype as fuck. Shame it was used on some scrubs though. Should have saved that one for taking on one of the hit squads.

Last edited:

never

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this show and had no problem with it being 13 episodes long. I thought the side characters were all great.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Episode Seven

Its good but not amazing, it takes it a little bit to serious I think, also are we at the point now where Frank is no longer like a Terminator? as in the difference between T-800 in the first film and the T-800 in T2
instead of killing people he is just injuring them?
(if episode 8-13 stays this way, it's gonna fall down to the lower end of my favourites)

Punisher Warzone remains my favourite Punisher.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the final episode, that was some good shit. The last few episodes they really kicked it into high gear.
This might be my favourite of the Netflix Marvel shows.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched 4 episodes so far, it's good but some super cheesy shit, the soundtrack especially during the flashback in E03 I think was terrible but maybe it was ironic ?

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So I made it to episode 9 and my opinion of the show changed a bit. The relationship between Micro and Frank is getting really good and I think the pacing picked up some.

Also, i'm finding it weird that a lot of the criticism I had heard was that the show started strong then spun it's wheels for a while and ended great... I'm not finding that to be the case at all. I thought the beginning was real slow and now by midpoint i'm feeling a bit more engaged.

Last edited:

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
This is the opposite of all the Netflix shows (outside of DDS1 which is mostly great ) where the show actually get better as it goes along (started from being just OK). Its still longer than it should be but overall i did enjoy this very much. DDS1 >>DDS2 1st half> Punisher >JJ = DDS2 2nd half > Defender>> LC >>>> IF

Netflix please go to marvel and ask for a change in contract to reduce the number of esp ok? Or do it AOS style and make mini arc, DDS2 almost got this right.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I liked this a lot, way better than I anticipated from a character I don't even love that much. Also lots of cool side characters and finally a well made Story arc that doesn't just stop after mid-season.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
No Trish Talk? Boooooo.
Wouldn't have worked, her show is probably progressive where that show was not. I did have the same initial reaction though since they used that show on another series as well.

Up to episode 11, 10 was really damn good....i just moved this show up from my 3rd favorite Marvel show to my 2nd favorite