• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Hmmm
So, most of the times cops get away with murder. Let's see what the difference is this time..

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
This guy definitely deserves it...I just wonder if he would get charged if he was white tho...

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm glad he's being charged but it certainly seems like there's one sad differentiating factor between this and all the other stories of police murdering people with no repercussions.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
This story was all over the local news (DC area).

At first, they tried to say the suspect was on PCP, but then his family did some interviews and that sounded unlikely.

Also this cop apparently has a history and has shot folks before so he had less 'benefit of the doubt' already.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is the second time PG has been in the National news this year.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he's been charged and this standard better apply to every gd cop. Fucking ridiculous that this is a distinction that has to be made on top of how ridiculous the situation already is.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Even though this guy deserved this sentence, law enforcement and the courts are more likely to throw black cops under the bus when it comes to these situations. The fact that they're showing off his picture and painting a clear picture of what happened says it all.

Oct 28, 2017
Even though this guy deserved this sentence, law enforcement and the courts are more likely to throw black cops under the bus when it comes to these situations. The fact that they're showing off his picture and painting a clear picture of what happened says it all.

I think it's slowly starting to change as with amber guyger being charged and sentenced.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad this man is being charged for his crime, but you can almooost use the "being a cop while black" line here.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh he's definitely gonna be charged/treated more like a black man than he will be treated as a policeman.

Oct 25, 2017
That was not the mugshot i was expecting

There's evidence that suggests white police are not more likely to shoot and kill suspects, alongside some studies that suggest white cops are less likely to be involved in lethal shootings. Which doesn't necessarily clash with the pattern of racial disparities in policing, just that it's much more complicated in practical factors (for example, one suggestion for why white police are less likely to use their weapon is that minority officers are more likely to be posted to high-minority, high-crime areas.)

It's fun to play the games of "what tickles our preconceived biases", but the evidence doesn't really bear that out. Freddie Gray didn't come out of his encounter any better because many of the cops were black (cops, who, despite being black, all got off.)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That was not the mugshot i was expecting

I was clued in by the fact he was immediately charged with murder

There's evidence that suggests white police are not more likely to shoot and kill suspects.

It's fun to play the games of "what tickles our preconceived biases", but the evidence doesn't really bear that out. Freddie Gray didn't come out of his encounter any better because many of the cops were black (cops, who, despite being black, all got off.)

The institution is systematically racist. There are huge racial disparities in how police engage with the public and whom they use force against. So it doesn't matter the race of the cop, black and brown people will be victimized at a higher rate.

Acab

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was clued in by the fact he was immediately charged with murder

The institution is systematically racist. So it doesn't matter the race if the cop, black and brown people will be victimized at a higher rate.

I'm not sure what relevance that has to my point. People in this thread are acting surprised a black cop is involved. Your response makes more sense directed at them.

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't listened to, Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehesi Coates, you should buy it, or get it from the library. He talks about Black PG cops, and how they were more vicious than the White cops.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This happened yesterday and he is already charged? Damn

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused by some of the posts here. Oviously white cops getting off for murder is a problem and shouldn't happen. Obviously the entire institution is racist. But those things have nothing to do with this case. Has any cop, regardless of color, not been charged for shooting a handcuffed victim 7 times while they're in the back seat of the police car? And some of the "hmm, wonder what's different," posts are kinda fucked up. You want this dude to not get charged?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by some of the posts here. Oviously white cops getting off for murder is a problem and shouldn't happen. Obviously the entire institution is racist. But those things have nothing to do with this case. Has any cop, regardless of color, not been charged for shooting a handcuffed victim 7 times while they're in the back seat of the police car? And some of the "hmm, wonder what's different," posts are kinda fucked up. You want this dude to not get charged?

Stranger shit "''"happens"""
Carter was in the passenger seat of a pickup truck which was stopped by the Jonesboro Police Department of Jonesboro, Arkansas.[3] It was reported that an officer found small amounts of cannabis on his person after a body search and ran his information through the police computer network.[3] The officers discovered that he had an outstanding warrant, so they placed him under arrest, searching him again and handcuffing his hands behind his back before placing him in the patrol vehicle.[3]

Minutes later, the officers discovered that Chavis Carter was shot in the head. The officers found a semi-automatic, .380-caliber Cobra pistol near the body.[1] The Jonesboro Police Department believe that he had hidden the gun on his person that the officers did not detect through the two searches and used it on himself.[4] Carter's mother disagreed, claiming that Carter had no history of suicidal thoughts or actions, and addressed the fact that he had made arrangements with his girlfriend to meet him at the prison the next day, and that the police killed him.[1] In addition, she states that he was left-handed[1] and was handcuffed behind his back, yet the bullet entered through his right temple. The two officers at the scene were placed on administrative leave and an investigation was started.[5]

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course we want him to get charged. Fuck that guy. But generally when cases of police killings like this one come up it takes longer for them to get charged. The dude who shot that woman in her own home while she was playing video games got put on administrative leave, then resigned before he could be fired, THEN got arrested, and even that was stated as rare. This dude got arrested the next day. It's a bit of an indicator that even the blue lives matter thing means less if you're black.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You want this dude to not get charged?
We want all homicidal cops charged. It's just that it's also another expression of the racist system that the one that gets charged in a day, no questions asked, also belongs of the same racial class that is routinely murdered by such cops in the first place.

The whole system needs to rot.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord......I'm actuallly eager for the bullshit excuse he's going to pull to defend this...
And as always: never a working camera around either...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

This ain't the first time something like this happened. Him getting charged this quickly is out of the norm... it shouldn't be.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We want all homicidal cops charged. It's just that it's also another expression of the racist system that the one that gets charged in a day, no questions asked, also belongs of the same racial class that is routinely murdered by such cops in the first place.

The whole system needs to rot.
I'm no defender of police. Hell, I used to be a cop (I've mentioned that a few times throughout my time here on era) and quit shortly after the Michael Brown incident. But there is a difference between most of the infamous cop murders and this one.

I dont recall exact details of all of them, but the kid shot in Cleveland was reported to have a gun. So the racist system used that as a defense. Brown was reportedly stepping towards the officer. The chokehold in NY, the person died during an arrest attempt after breaking the law (albeit a stupid law). The Chicago one, the victim had a knife. I'm sure I'm missing tons, but the point is, as much as everyone of those officers deserved to be arrested, every case had enough to warrant an investigation.

I'm probably being naive as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'd like to believe, and my hope would be, that any cop, regardless of color, who shot someone 7 times while the victim was cuffed in the backseat of the police car, would be arrested the next day (or same day). Hopefully it won't happen again so hopefully we'll never have an answer to that question.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oscar Grant, January 1. Hands behind his back, face down on the floor. Shot in the back. Cop wasn't charged until January 30. It took the whole month for him to get charged. Eventually was not convicted, found not guilty. I'm sure if it was a black cop, he would have been arrested the next day and convicted. This black cop in the OP will learn that not all blue lives matter. I'm not defending him btw, he deserves all the punishment I hope he gets.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Jesus the guy was handcuffed in the car. What did he think he was going to do? Obviously deserves to be charged, but i can't help but think what would happen if the officer was white.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus the guy was handcuffed in the car. What did he think he was going to do? Obviously deserves to be charged, but i can't help but think what would happen if the officer was white.
If the officer was white it would be ruled a suicide. There's been a couple of threads over the years with handcuffed suspects shooting themselves in the head while in the police car. How the police miss these guns during pat down is a mystery!