• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
I just want an Uprising port. Sakurai doesn't even need to work on it.
I hope after Smash is all done Nintendo funds whatever he wants to do. Give him the Kojima contract. Revive Project Sora.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I had a friend that swore during the Wii U flop years that Sakurai would move on to make PS4 games

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo got him like

BB_514_UC_0225_0440.jpg
I been reading the news just like everybody else. I seen the Smash Bros. they kept him on. I heard about all the things they did to him to make sure he kept designin' ... so, sorry. I don't know what to tell you ... I'm not helping you put Masahiro Sakurai back on a Smash Bros.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Dude is just addicted to work, he can't take a break unfortunately.
But at least, it's obvious that he's having the time of his life. He really loves bringing all those big ass third party names.
He said during Smash 4 DLC era that working on DLCs is more relaxing that working on a full game, and he just reiterated.
Just work on Smash DLC for the next two years honestly. Smash Ultimate is already fucking absurd in term of contents, he clearly said last presentation that he wants to set the record as high as possible. Bring it to 90 characters, Sakurai.
What a mad man. True legend.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I think it helps that he's "stuck" with one of the most respected franchises in the industry, that's a love letter to the industry, that every one of his peers would be beyond ecstatic to have their games represented him. I think he realizes how big of a deal Smash is beyond simply beyond popular and highly reviewed and that's special to be a part of, and he clearly enjoys being a part of it. The series wouldn't be such an obvious labor of love otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
His job now is probably 100 times more easier because all he's gotta do is work on a new fighter at a time. Not saying he's being lazy or working less hard, but it's probably waaaaaay easier to manage now. So he's probably enjoying it a lot more.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I mean, yes, I assumed that would be rather obvious.

Praise this man. As an amateur game historian, knowing that it'll always inspire me to check out franchises that passed me by is one of the many, many reasons I hold Smash so dear.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai has the Master Keys to the whole gaming universe, this has to be the greatest job of all time. No surprise he doesn't want to quit just yet.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I really do feel like at some point for Sakurai Smash went from being a game series he works on to the thing that will be his mark on the world. The thing that's going to be tied to him forever and he puts everything into it for that reason.

That's what I'm starting to feel as well. It wouldn't surprise me if as a developer and life-long gamer he takes a massive amount of pride in being the architect of the biggest collaboration the industry has ever seen. He's even mentioned a couple times now how important "the record" is and how dedicated he feels in making it as high as possible.

His job now is probably 100 times more easier because all he's gotta do is work on a new fighter at a time. Not saying he's being lazy or working less hard, but it's probably waaaaaay easier to manage now. So he's probably enjoying it a lot more.

There's this as well. In terms of job security Sakurai's coasting on a fucking dream right now, constantly building to an established game rather than having to draft up and design project proposals from scratch.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai said he wasn't working on Kid Icarus again, I've been just taking that at face value and trying to pressure someone (ANYONE) at Nintendo to pick up the mantle.

Sakurai looks so tired, but making 1-2 DLC characters at a time has to be easier than heading up the entirety of game development. And if you look at the characters that are being added, some of them are from games that were clearly huge formative experiences for Sakurai. It's not a vacation by a long shot, but it's gotta be closer to a break than anything that he's worked on since like. . .Meteos, maybe? I'm gonna kick and scream until I get an Uprising port/sequel but even I can acknowledge that the development for that wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows and outside of that it's been progressively more wild Smash games the entire time. Who knows, maybe someone can even convince Sakurai to take a nap right about now.

That said, if this thread is going to be half lamentations from Uprising fans, it's my obligation to pitch in. NINTENDO PLEASE MAKE AN UPRISING REMASTER/SEQUEL ON SWITCH I WILL GIVE YOU MY UNDYING AFFECTION

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The guy is the very definition of a passionate workaholic. Even at the risk of his health, he loves to work on Smash. I mean, as a fan of gaming, getting to work with the medium's most prestigious franchises must feel like an absolute privilege. I just hope he has several apprentices ready to take the reigns on all of his IPs (Kid Icarus pls) so he can finally take a break or work on something with a more relaxing speed

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would feel bad for Sakurai if he read these forums because of how often people ask for Goku.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm grateful that someone with his eye for detail is manning Smash, but after having played Kid Icarus Uprising, I do wish he'd branch out again. The game's controls always be divisive, something that I hope an eventual remake or remaster could address, but the man knows how to stuff a game full of worthwhile content. The gaming industry would be better off with more people like him in it.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt anyone could've achieved what Sakurai has with Smash. I don't think I could trust any other person with as many franchises. He and his team are constantly knocking it out of the park with each character/stage they release.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
If he's doing what he legitimately wants to do, I say let him. He hasn't been a Nintendo employee for nearly two decades now, he's literally a free agent who actively chooses to keep working on Smash. The original Smash was a literal passion project between Sakurai and Iwata; Iwata did the programming, while Sakurai did almost everything else. I feel like he has more attachment to the series than even Nintendo themselves at this point.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually kind of prefer that he stops after the 5th DLC fighter and works on something new.

However, I of course want him to do whatever makes him happy, and it seems like he's been having a lot of fun in the latest 2 fighter videos. So maybe DLC character development is fun for him and he simply wants to keep doing it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually kind of prefer that he stops after the 5th DLC fighter and works on something new.

I feel similarly to an extent. Smash Ultimate already has an ungodly amount of content, I never felt like it needed more than one season of DLC. It's great that it's getting it, but I'm personally happy enough with the game that I think I would rather see what he does after Smash. But if this is what he wants and as long as he isn't killing himself, I wish him the best of luck and know I'll end up buying pretty much all of it.