• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry for the people (Arlo) who expected a new game from Sakurai this generation.

Sakurai also confirms he's been working on the Super Smash Bros. franchise non-stop for the last 7~8 years.

He does however enjoy his job:

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Would be nice if he stopped making Smash at some point. I'd like to see him make another game and maybe this time one that doesn't break people's wrists.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
He's figured it out: he won't kill himself making a new Smash if he keeps the old one alive with DLC.

But seriously it is clearly an amazing passion and the work he puts in shines through brightly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising - he said in the last showcase that he doubts that Ultimate will be topped down the line, so its his final shot now to make and perfect one of, if not the biggest gaming mashup ever.

Once its all said and done Ultimate will be a crazy package with a ridiculous roster.

Oct 27, 2017
Great for Smash Bros, but still upsetting.

Sakurai is a really talented director, and I would've loved to see him reboot another IP, or even make a new one. That, and this man REALLY needs a break.

At the very least, can some other studio make Kid Icarus Uprising 2? Treasure, maybe?

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Honestly there's no reason to work on a new Smash game anytime soon, just use Ultimate as a foundation and keep adding DLC for years to come. That's what Nintendo should have done with Mario Kart 8.

Also, I'd hope he could juggle Smash DLC and a new project if he wanted, but like everyone else is saying as long as the man keeps a good work/life balance he should do whatever he wants.

EDIT: Also, poor Arlo. That was one of the most badly timed videos I've seen lmao

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on Kid Icarus long time ago.

At this point I accepted the fact that Nintendo are not interested in other older series other than big ones like Mario, Zelda etc. They seem to be fine with creating new IPs and so am I.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well, he's made what I feel is my favorite game of all time and he keeps making it better and better. So I appreciate his hard work.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Nintendo got him like

BB_514_UC_0225_0440.jpg

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I said this a couple years ago and some Nintendo fans on here swore he had another game coming. Nah, games take too long to develop and it was obvious they were going to go all out with the DLC too. And from a financial and opportunity cost standpoint it makes no sense for him to work on anything else.

Sakurai got the Aunoma treatment.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly there's no reason to work on a new Smash game anytime soon, just use Ultimate as a foundation and keep adding DLC for years to come. That's what Nintendo should have done with Mario Kart 8.

Also, I'd hope he could juggle Smash DLC and a new project if he wanted, but like everyone else is saying as long as the man keeps a good work/life balance he should do whatever he wants.
That's coming with Mario Kart Ultimate

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sakurai, I know sometimes pushing yourself being the limits can do great things, but don't overdo it...take a year-long break or something.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
He seems like he really enjoys it, so good for him. I'm fine with not getting a new Kid Icarus or something like that if it means Smash Ultimate gets supported for a bit longer. It's such a crazy fun and ambitious crossover.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
God I hope this man gets decent sleep and time with his family. Smash Bros. is big enough as is, let the man take a break.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I really do feel like at some point for Sakurai Smash went from being a game series he works on to the thing that will be his mark on the world. The thing that's going to be tied to him forever and he puts everything into it for that reason.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense if you're in his position. Working on Smash is like working on multiple franchises at once.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
atleast give another studio at ReMaking Kid icarus uprising with sakurai being just a Consoltant D:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
sakurai seems newly revitalized

it must be the joyful terry bogard energy coursing through him

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Let him make DLC forever if that's what he loves. Fans ain't complaining.

Nice to hear it's less stressful than regular development

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the people saying "Is a shame that he only does Smash" are not the same people crying that developers should have the freedom to work in what projects they actually enjoy (which seems to be Sakurai case)

373167046415876096.png

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Will be interesting how they replace Ultimate. They will never have as many characters, stages, items, etc. as this game has. The only way to do so is make it a GaaS game that continues on future platforms. Let Sakurai have a break from developing a new Smash game from the ground up and let the existing game continue with very minimal oversight from Sakurai.

Sakurai has done good work for Nintendo with the Smash Bros franchise.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Despite my criticisms, I have nothing but respect for Sakurai. Hopefully DLC is more chill in terms of work-load.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Kid Icarus (maybe they can re-release it on Switch), but Smash is something historic and unique and he seems to enjoy working on it and now that they have the base game built, it's probably a lot less stress.

Bring on Smash DLC season 2 and even season 3.

Working on one IP for almost your whole career isn't really even that unheard of at Nintendo ... if you work at EAD Tokyo, odds are you've been doing 3D Mario for decades now. Aonuma has been on Zelda for how long now.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for him, since he genuinely wants to continue working on expanding Ultimate as much as possible. As long as Sakurai is happy doing his work, let him do what he wants.