• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If there is such a thing as "too passionate"...

He talked about taking on a kind of producer role eventually so I wonder if he still thinks about making other games.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
WelcomeHeavenlyHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the people saying "Is a shame that he only does Smash" are not the same people crying that developers should have the freedom to work in what projects they actually enjoy (which seems to be Sakurai case)

373167046415876096.png
or the people who think some developers have the freedom to work on whatever they want and they just happen to choose to work on 3rd person cinematic action adventure games over and over and over :audacity:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I love Smash, but this is kind of weird and sad to think about, lol

Like I wasn't expecting him to come back to Kid Icarus, Uprising was very clearly a one and done deal, but I figured once Smash was over he'd begin working on a new project akin to Uprising or Meteos.

But by the sound of things...it seems like he's just going to keep working continously on Smash until the day he fully retires from game making. He even directly acknowledges that he's been working on this series consecutively for 7-8 years.

I'm probably going to be nearing my 30s when Smash Ultimate's DLC support is finally done...

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I feel like once he was given the go ahead and was able to focus on 3rd Party fighters as the series went on. It kind of ignited a passion in him. Dude loves gaming and I'm positive being given the chance to work on tons of series in his own way through smash. Has been super gratifying for him.

Apr 21, 2018
Meteos and Kid Icarus are so good.

I love Smash and the way Ultimate is turning into the Smash Bros endgame that won't be topped in our entire lives, but I also want to see Sakurai do other things, at some point, in his life.

I would basically breathe new life into anything he touches. Would love to seem him do a Starfox game.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, it makes sure the franchise is at a high level.

On the other hand, I'd love to see him make a completely new IP. Kind of a wasted potential cause I'm sure Smash can be good even without him. That nintendo moneytruck is probably hard to resist

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well.. hope he makes kid ikarus switch down the line
On one hand, it makes sure the franchise is at a high level.

On the other hand, I'd love to see him make a completely new IP. Kind of a wasted potential cause I'm sure Smash can be good even without him. That nintendo moneytruck is probably hard to resist

He isnt even a nintendo employee. He can make anything he wants and has done so (meteos)

It just seems like smash is his heart and soul at this point.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Even if I adore Uprising and don't care too much about Smash, dude clearly loves what he is doing right now.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people work for several years in a row, in fact I'd say most people do. It's somewhat unusual for a game developer to work on a single franchise for that long, but if he enjoys it then good for him.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, totally fine with me! By the time the DLC is finished Smash Ultimate will be untouchable within its genre. Hell, even outside of its genre there's never been anything like it and might not ever be again. It's a landmark title.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What, or whom, do I need to sacrifice to the elder gods for another Kid Icarus? Just say the word, Sakurai.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many using this thread to say Sakurai needs a break? Continuing to make DLC is surely less work than making a whole other game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As long as Sakurai is happy and healthy, he can work on whatever he wants.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I really do feel like at some point for Sakurai Smash went from being a game series he works on to the thing that will be his mark on the world. The thing that's going to be tied to him forever and he puts everything into it for that reason.

I suspect the same, especially as time has gone on and he's been able to bring more and more 3rd parties into the mix. His perspective on the series may have changed between the early days of "I'm proud of it, but it's really all an elaborate advertisement for Nintendo" to today's "Holy shit, I've created an institution that I can use to push SNK and KoF into the modern day mainstream!"

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
We don't deserve this man! Glad he loves developing Smash Bros. Hell I would want to continue working on Smash too if I was able to get my hands on so many prolific franchises. I wonder just how many more characters we are getting after this first pass. I could see this very well going into a 3rd pass.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
If he's happy then let him do it.

Now please add Jill Valentine.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, if it is at least less demanding, I'm glad he can work without that much pressure, but nothing is more disappointing than seeing devs stuck on games that were areadly released. I want new games, not updates on old ones.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Did this actually happen ?

hehe, Nop. But, Sakurai plays a lot of games, so it would not be weird seeing him playing other games.

or the people who think some developers have the freedom to work on whatever they want and they just happen to choose to work on 3rd person cinematic action adventure games over and over and over :audacity:

Funnily enough, isnt the above what happened to Project Sora?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai needs to groom a successor so he can take a nap or at least work on something else

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm really, really glad to hear he's enjoying it (and hopefully this is the truth and not just standard "smile and nod" corporate-mandated PR). He has given us so freaking much, I wish him the absolute best. <3

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see no problem here, It's obvious he absolutely enjoys working on this series. Nintendo hasn't ''got him like'' or owns him in any way, if he didn't want to work on it he would have stopped.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If Sakurai wants to just make smash ultimate dlc for the rest of his life I won't complain.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It seems like both Nintendo and Sakurai realized they have a once in a lifetime opportunity here; never again will they have all these IPs and characters in Smash, with sales as record-breaking as they were for Ultimate, on a system as successful as the Switch as early as it is in the system's life cycle. Basically everything has lined up for them to keep a healthy post-release support schedule. I am curious how long it will go for and how much all the DLC will cost when it's all said and done.

The inclusion of Banjo-Kazooie cemented Smash Ultimate as my all time favorite game, so I'm happy for more content, even if it's extremely unlikely they reveal anything that gets me anywhere near as excited as that particular character/series.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the people saying "Is a shame that he only does Smash" are not the same people crying that developers should have the freedom to work in what projects they actually enjoy (which seems to be Sakurai case)

373167046415876096.png

lol

Sakurai is living in his dream right now. Why would he want to leave his own dream? He kept saying that Smash Bros is his baby and he even said that his goal is to make Smash Bros as number one character game in the world. He's doing it right now..

People who want him to take a break and vacation doesn't even know him at all because he admits that he worked during his vacation coming up with design document for future games. He's pretty much workaholic but at least he admits that DLC development is more relaxing so that's good way he could have before he jump into another development for full production.

Nov 4, 2018
I don't get all the "Sakurai is slaving away at Smash" when it's clearly stated he actually enjoys what he's doing.

The man doesn't work for Nintendo and is free to leave Smash whenever he wants to, and he chose to continue working on Smash games after he left Hal. I don't think he'd still be working on Smash if he didn't enjoy it.