• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Remember, Trans Rights are Human Rights!

Source: Source Gaming (YouTube)

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
"Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before."
Yeah, when Sakurai approached Iwata to suggest refunding the players for Brawl, he and the rest of Nintendo board laughed at his face for an hour.

True story.

[it's a joke post, sorry for confusion]

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Cyberpunk was a dream game
in the sense that a good version of it exists in people's dreams, not in reality

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • "Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before."
Sounds like Sakurai has just learned about refunds.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"When I tried it on the PS4 Pro, I could play it without problem
It was mostly running at 30 frames per second

tenor.gif

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he had a smoother experience on PS4 Pro compared to PC. But then again, he seemed to be thinking the framerate was somehow acceptable lol. Either way, the game gets no passes from me for being an "ambitious AAA title." CDPR, their trash transphobia and bigotry aside, clearly didn't accomplish what they set out to achieve in developing the game.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Not trying to make excuses for his ignorance but I really doubt he is aware of any controversies surrounding the game outside of the performance / refund situation.

Has any Japanese press covered all the bullshit CDPR is guilty of?

Apr 26, 2020
I admire Sakurai for a lot of things and i value his opinions, but i must disagree with him on this one (and that is fine). To keep it short. I would give CP2077 a 6,5 or 7 out of 10. That is it and based on the stories of CD Projekt Red i dont feel pity for the company at all. They lied, have crunch culture, so refunds are completely acceptable.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether or not I agree, I'm always fascinated to hear Japanese developers' takes on big Western titles.

I haven't played Cyberpunk and have no interest to so I have no opinion on this opinion.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
To the people confused by his take I think it's quite obvious that once you become a developer as deeply knowledgeable as him and know the problems and roadblocks that come with game development it's very easy for him to imagine just how difficult it must have been to put something like Cyberpunk together.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he had a smoother experience on PS4 Pro compared to PC. But then again, he seemed to be thinking the framerate was somehow acceptable lol. Either way, the game gets no passes from me for being an "ambitious AAA title." CDPR, their trash transphobia and bigotry aside, clearly didn't accomplish what they set out to achieve in developing the game.
Arent PCs super expensive in japan and just unpopular? Maybe his PC isnt that powerful because of that

Qohelet

Oct 31, 2017
This is fallout 3 all over again for me. (I played it to death before going online and finding people insulting bethesda left and right...)

Love the game and the atmosphere and I can deal with the bugs and the crashes.

CP2077 is the fist open world game where I find myself just slowly walking aimlessly in the city.

I'm 100 hours in and I'm taking my sweet time doing everything there is to do.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not trying to make excuses for his ignorance but I really doubt he is aware of any controversies surrounding the game outside of the performance / refund situation.

Ignorance & complicity seem to be common themes with Sakurai, as much as I respect his work. I wouldn't say he's a bigot, but he could stand to better educate himself on such matters.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020
To the people confused by his take I think it's quite obvious that once you become a developer as deeply knowledgeable as him and know the problems and roadblocks that come with game development it's very easy for him to imagine just how difficult it must have been to put something like Cyberpunk together.
Yeah but he's moved by CDPR refunding the game, which shouldn't be commended. They quite literally lied about the game before release. A failure of management and not the developers.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he enjoyed regardless of what I think about CDPR and the game itself. Though the game is buggy af and has key issues, it can certainly be jaw-droppingly stunning at times.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean he's a game designer. I think anybody doubts the vision of the game and how great it would have been if they pulled it off.

I would also argue that since he's someone that's seen games in various stages he probably plays as many games in Alpha/Beta states as he does in Gold. So he's a bit immune to bugs being a deal breaker knowing that eventually down the line resources will be put to polish the game out before it hits the stores.

That aint happen here, lol.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
This happens when you are making games for a platform holder who don't know what refunds are.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
"I support this game from the bottom of my heart for sincerely dealing with [the refunds]."

Support Steam, Microsoft, Sony and retailers for dealing with refunds after the floodgates CDPR caused by saying they could get refunds without issues. CDPR fucked up and others sorted out the issues they caused.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts exactly.

Kody's full translation is on the way

PushDustIn

Oct 25, 2017
Kody from Source Gaming is working on the translation right now!

These translated comments come from an leaked excerpts of the column, so they are pretty rough. Right now that Kody has access to the full column and he is working on a translation that will clear things up. It should be up on the SG YouTube channel soon.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

The problem is that Japan is pretty shite when it comes to trans rights. I believe it's still required that a person is sterilized before they can legally change gender.

I think part of the problem is that androgynous, "Bishounen" males are a longtime trope of Japan, so it's just something they are used to. Men wearing skirts and dresses is just a thing there, such as in "visual kei" culture. So gender is already a tenuous concept in Japan. And it's reversed from in the west, where typically hyper-masculine males are seen as "gay", while androgynous males are more manly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kody from Source Gaming is working on the translation right now!

These translated comments come from an leaked excerpts of the column, so they are pretty rough. Right now that Kody has access to the full column and he is working on a translation that will clear things up. It should be up on the SG YouTube channel soon.
Awesome, I'll add Kody's translation to the OP as soon as he posts it.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
For the uninformed: Meteos is a top 50 game of all time

God, as much as I like Lumines Remastered, I so want a Meteos Remastered on Switch. It's one of the very few DS games I've held onto through the years because it's that good and not really the kind of experience you could get with an emulator.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Ignorance & complicity seem to be a common theme with Sakurai, as much as I respect his work. I wouldn't say he's a bigot, but he could stand to better educate himself on such matters.

huh? I mean not everybody has time to eat, sleep, and breathe game news.

If it wasn't for resetera I would not be aware of a lot of horrible shit going on in the industry.

And I doubt there is a Japanese equivalent of resetera.

Not to mention it's a luxury of time to be able to spend time on enthusiast forums such as resetera and I'd wager Sakurai doesn't have all that much free time to begin with.