• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you ever dropped a game in the first 5 minutes?

• Yes (which one)

Votes: 507 39.7%
  • No. I just look at trailers/gameplay/reviews to decide if I'm playing a game

Votes: 210 16.5%
  • No. I give them more time or I try a full demo

Votes: 559 43.8%

• Total voters
Mar 23, 2018
"A game that starts slow is often a game taht's starting on the wrong foot. Don't leave players wondering what the actual game is like. I think it's best to get right to the point and jump into gameplay early."

"RPGs need a bit of an introduction. All The same, I'd recommend laying things on so that gameplay comes first and drop them into action. Although, it'll depend on the game, because games with well-known mechanics (FF, DQ, Pokémon I'm guessing) or prominent story elements need their own approach"

On his new youtube channel, Masahiro Sakurai shares his thoughts on video game creation/development. I found this last video interesting from a palyer's perspective, as I can say the best game intros are always the ones that have an (almost) fully playable section. This comes from the days of arcade games and, even though I wasn't an arcade person myself, I completely agree.

Sakurai will explain it much better than myself:

View: https://youtu.be/PlbwQ_rntCM

Did you ever drop a game in the first 5 minutes because of not finding it appealing? What is your favorite first level/intro?

Two first levels/intros I really enjoyed were Nier: Automata's and DOOM's

Last edited:

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I usually give a game at least 30 minutes before deciding to drop anything. Of course you would be wise to introduce good hook(s) as early as possible.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'll usually do at least 10-15 mins but I'm definitely not someone with the patience to spend hours waiting for a game to get good.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, locking characters in a fighting game seems antithetical to this.

Aug 15, 2022
If it's an RPG I'd still be watching cutscene, that is, if I've passed character creation.

I did drop Kid Icarus Uprising super early though. Only a few minutes is enough for me to know I would never get used to the control scheme.

Last edited:

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Ive dropped certain games in the first ten to fifteen minutes. It's games that usually don't feel good to play. Like the character movement feels off and just does nothing for me.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
I can usually tell by trailers, but if I'm still unsure, I need a good :30 min - 1 hour of gameplay to confirm.

Kiryu

Jun 23, 2022
personally 5 minutes is not enough. i've definitely decided i like a game couple of days of playing it

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I hate to be a fence sitter but I honestly think it depends on the genre. A shoot 'em up? Five mins. A turn based tactics game? 30 mins. A 4X game? A few hours. A grand strategy game? A couple days😂

I mean, locking characters in a fighting game seems antithetical to this.

Personally I like the reward of unlockables but I understand why they are no longer popular with people.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
In a gameplay-focused game, sure. But there are many kinds of games out there, you can't apply this rule to everything.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I feel a better way of phrasing it is "its okay to drop games after strong negative first impressions". i dont think attributing some arbitrary time limit helps, but everyone certainly played something that after fiddling for a while they could think "this is so not for me"

Sakurai thinks Yakuza games are trash confirmed.

He's right about that at least

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, yeah. If a game's gameplay doesn't hook me pretty quickly as soon as the game portion starts, I will probably walk away. It's why I dump so many indie games.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
This one is near and dear to my heart. If I'm not playing your game within three minutes of pressing start I'm annoyed.

Oct 25, 2017
So when people tell me to play death stranding for 10 hours before deciding if it's good or not are crazy. Thought so!

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad he brought up actual examples of RPGs that draw you in with gameplay, and then tell you the story. While I feel like "three minutes" isn't a hard rule one should adhere to (especially given RPGs can need more setup), a player should have a good understanding of what your game is like by the 30 minute mark.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Most of my favourite games take a lot longer than that to get good.

morrowind, dmc, outer wilds, botw, pathologic, in fact I can't think of one which works in the first 3 minutes

Titan6062

Jul 29, 2022
3 minutes is a ludicrously short amount of time and only makes sense for the types of games Sakurai makes. Give it an hour at least.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, plenty. Recently I dropped Loot River within minutes because I did not like the central mechanics (shifting platforms) and how the action felt.

Conversely, I knew I would love Hades within moments. Despite story being an important part of it, you get a little bit of flavor and are dropped into the action from the get-go.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What would you suggest? It was a quick poll. Didn't wanna leave it at "yes or no"

It's more like he's generally right, but considering game variety and design I can give more leeway. Kinda hard to describe and hard to determine what the poll options should be.

Basically the very best games that hook me the most Sakurai's on point for, but I've also had games I really love that don't hook me in 3 mins for multiple reasons.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Maybe not three minutes, but yes games should be action packed from the start. Cannot stand a long prologue and it makes me drop games basically instantly. Looking at you RDR2.

Sakurai knows ball.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly action games. Sakurai is a big rpg gamer too. He loves Persona

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I get the idea, and maybe he just means gameplay, but this seems at odds with how convoluted Smash's menus are.

Ultimate was my first and just trying to figure out how to play a match vs my choice of CPU opponent was awkward.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is the same man who created Kid Icarus: Uprising. Dont tell me those funky ass controls took 3 minutes to be ¨fun¨

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Highly depends on the genre, but for a few of them sure I guess.

Most of the games I tend to play require a lot more investment though to make that kind of judgement.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Locking characters doesn't mean that you don't get into the gameplay immediately.
Different characters completely alter the experience in a fighting game.
I might think Super Smash Bros is awful if I play Mario, but think it's the best game ever if I play Ike (I don't know if Ike was locked or not, I didn't get Ultimate cause of locked characters).
It's essentially like I'm playing a different game.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Nah. Some media(not just games) require a buildup that can end up being very satisfying. "The first three minutes" almost translates to instant gratification to me and not everything needs to be a quick, fast, straight dopamine fix.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
And yes, in the video, he mentions that it naturally depends on the game. More established series that have gameplay that are already familiar to players can get away with having more of an intro, and rpgs often need them, too.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
This rules out almost every JRPG I love, haha, though, as Doggg pointed out, Sakurai mentions that it's dependent on the game

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Different characters completely alter the experience.
I might think Super Smash Bros is awful if I play Mario, but think it's the best game ever if I play Ike (I don't know if Ike was locked or not, I didn't get Ultimate cause of licked characters).
It's essentially like I'm playing a different game.
Okay, but you're still engaging with the core universal mechanics of the game itself, and those other characters are still designed to be fun, they're just not the ones you personally prefer.

I can understand why someone might not enjoy characters being locked, but it's a painfully reductive argument to claim that you won't get an understanding of the game because you don't have access to a particular character.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
And yes, in the video, he mentions that it naturally depends on the game. More established series that have gameplay that are already familiar to players can get away with having more of an intro, and rpgs often need them, too.

still not a good point cause games dont necessarily need to be fun in their design. pathologic is an oppressive deppressing game, its not fun 3 minutes nor 3 hours nor 3 days in. maybe if the haruspex and the doctor had a sword fight in the first 3 minutes sakurai would like it more though

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm onboard with this concept of design. I should be able to see why it's going to be fun quickly. Ironically RPG titles don't do a good job at this a lot of the time.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but you're still engaging with the core mechanics of the game itself, and those other characters are still designed to be fun, they're just not the ones you personally prefer.
And it's still a fundamentally different experience.
The core mechanics of Super Smash Bros stays consistent, but people hate Brawl, while loving Melee.
Same applies for different characters in the same game.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I've bounced off of games with super long unskippable intros/tutorials. I have zero interest in sitting there waiting for 20+ minutes before I can even play. Also if a game doesn't have skippable cutscenes I'm very unlikely to bother with it.