• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Really? A super flat stage with no hazards at all and it still gets banned?

Is it a music license thing?

You can die at low% if you're near the walls and there's no edgeguarding or recovery which is a huge part of what makes smash tick. Its just going to be completely unbalanced, like it makes most up+B specials redundant.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The walls do make it better than the other edge-to-edge stages at least. Too bad they're not a little bit stronger against cheap cheaps and other fishy type players. It makes for a nice fast-paced match when everyone's being sporting about it. Kind of wish it was an option one could apply like hazards or OMEGA, and that those options could be toggled to individual stages at a time.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

i love smash as a game but the competitive scene though?....damn....

Z7HeRxU.png

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or Smash is about picking the most important/iconic characters.
Aka it's an industry problem, as said in the XX threads about it already made.
Important/iconic characters like Tung Fu Rue and Daimon? Those are nobodies. Even important and iconic male characters like Benimaru, Rugal, and K' missed out. Leona missing from the Ikari Warriors team is going to raise eyebrows, especially when a nobody like Tung Fu Rue made it in.

Even when you get to music, tons of less popular tracks were prioritized over more iconic and obvious ones.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He has by far one of the most amusing movesets of the entire roster.
DLC has been killing it so far, I would rank them:

Banjo > Terry > Joker > Hero with only Hero being, imho, a boring addition overall.

Also the power of Smash Bros. is underestimated and kinda scary. Before Terry's reveal, the only SNK franchise I knew and loved was Metal Slug. I knew Fatal Fury and King Of Fighters like "some other fighting games" and couldn't name one single character from the games. Now I know at least 20 of them and the general lore, I'm kinda interested in playing a few of them actually and I HATE classic fighting games lmao.
Smash Bros. is an unstoppable force.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All the background characters probably took away from the budget for that outfit. Would have been sick though.

He replied to someone on Twitter that he's sorry for not including a Mark of the Wolves skin, but the costume doesn't have Terry's hat so the animations using it would have to be scrapped or redone.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Important/iconic characters like Tung Fu Rue and Daimon? Those are nobodies. Even important and iconic male characters like Benimaru, Rugal, and K' missed out. Leona missing from the Ikari Warriors team is going to raise eyebrows, especially when a nobody like Tung Fu Rue made it in.

How about just characters Sakurai like and leave it at that...

seriously, whining about background stage cameos will not get anyone anywhere.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Have yall actually PLAYED on the stage?
I fuck with it for the music, but you can die SO EASILY

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Have yall actually PLAYED on the stage?
I fuck with it for the music, but you can die SO EASILY

i think that's because due to the lack of edge and the inclusion of corners, most players became much more 'reckless' thinking it's 'safer' and thus became careless and thus die easily.

I've only played that stage so far in Classic Mode last night and i think it's cool.

Tried to get an online Quick Place but it's taking too long so i hoped on to tournament to play using Terry instead (and managed to win the tournament).

Minor rant:
The skill differences between tournament and quick play remains as diverse as ever. I barely can win any quick place matches (maybe 2 out of every 10 matches) but i can win like 95% of the tournament i played (using Cloud, Ken, Hero and if its 1v1 tourney, i can do it with Joker). What's up with that?

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Walkoff stages and the new KOF stage go against what make Smash unique and so much fun. Edgeguarding is a main mechanic in Smash, and the most fun of the game comes from the situation of sending an opponent off the stage and he/she trying to come back and you trying not to allow it, with the big risk/reward option of going out off the stage yourself to challenge your opponent. That's exclusive to Smash (well, at least until some other Smash-inspired games copie the formula) and these kind of stages eliminates that mechanic making the matches way more dull and some characters which are balanced with the edgeguarding and recovery mechanic in mind, clearly unbalanced.

Talking about the KOF stage... I found the lighthing in this one really good and the music is just a love letter to SNK fans. So, it would be a pleasure to use it in Battlefield mode.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KOF Stadium is one of the best Battlefield stages in the game. The lighting and music are ace and you still get the cameos.

The default version isn't good for competitive play, but that's OK. The walls are a blast for casual. The actual problem is tournaments only ever use the boring regular Battlefield and FD instead of the 100+ variants.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
KOF Stadium is one of the best Battlefield stages in the game. The lighting and music are ace and you still get the cameos.

The default version isn't good for competitive play, but that's OK. The walls are a blast for casual. The actual problem is tournaments only ever use the boring regular Battlefield and FD instead of the 100+ variants.

Honesty I didn't play anything SNK much in my life simply because I never played much fighting-games before the last 5 or so years but when I tried Terry and the KOF Stadium yesterday I was quite floored. The music and the amount of love Sakurai and his team put into everything was enough to make me want to check out the series proper and see where it all came from! :D

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Competitive smash remains the group that's very 'anti-fun'...(no items allowed, many stages banned, Boo-ed when certain characters were used, etc)...

Sometimes it does seems to me that all they want is Melee that's frozen in time without any changes.

Anytime new stuff and content and function were added to smash and they'll be like 'that's not smash. Smash is........' and proceed to layout the frame data of smash and their interpretation of smash as legit doctrine.....

I don't know...i'll rather let the father of smash aka Sakurai, being the legit source of what is smash and he stated many times 'what is smash'.

Fun.

So what if it's unbalanced and certain characters being 'broken'? It's meant to be fun.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Competitive smash remains the group that's very 'anti-fun'...(no items allowed, many stages banned, Boo-ed when certain characters were used, etc)...

Sometimes it does seems to me that all they want is Melee that's frozen in time without any changes.

Anytime new stuff and content and function were added to smash and they'll be like 'that's not smash. Smash is........' and proceed to layout the frame data of smash and their interpretation of smash and the only legit doctrine.....

I don't know...i'll rather let the father of smash aka Sakurai, being the legit source of what is smash and he stated many times 'what is smash'.

Fun.

So what if it's unbalanced and certain characters being 'broken'? It's meant to be fun.

What a load of pretentious shit. Let people enjoy the game the way they want.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
what? i am saying smash should be fun. It's the 'competitive scene' that's doing the 'gatekeeping'.

If anything, I see the opposite. It's "casual" fans who want to gatekeep Smash and tell others how to play it. Most competitive players have no interest in telling casual players that their way of playing the game is wrong.

Tournament play has rules because people want to reduce RNG and eliminate elements that give certain characters advantages (camping, etc.). The beauty of Smash is you can have your cake and eat it too. It's specifically designed to allow for "fun" and "serious" play (emphasis on quotation marks). The various changes made to Ultimate are proof that Sakurai and his team have embraced Smash as a competitive fighter and want to give players options for that. They don't take away from people who want to play casually.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Its always amusing to see people so upset that others enjoy playing a different way. Get over it.

It is the most fun way to play for a lot of people. You don't get to decide that for anyone but yourself.

have you take a look at the irony of this statement you just made and have you take a look at the mirror?

Most of the time, it's the 'competitive scene' that barks the most....

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
have you take a look at the irony of this statement you just made and have you take a look at the mirror?

Most of the time, it's the 'competitive scene' that barks the most....

what even is this word soup? nobody is forcing you to attend tournaments. It has zero effect on you, and you should just accept that its fine that people like doing something different to you.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's "casual" fans who want to gatekeep Smash and tell others how to play it. Most competitive playrs have no interest in telling casual players that their way of playing the game is wrong.

sorry but anecdotal observations, most casual smash players wouldn't know half the changes being made between each installments, let alone dictate how smash is supposed to be played.

i am seeing the competitive smash players that's shouting the most about the most microscopic changes and how it should be 'more like melee'...

God....

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
sorry but anecdotal observations, most casual smash players wouldn't know half the changes being made between each installments, let alone dictate how smash is supposed to be played.

i am seeing the competitive smash players that's shouting the most about the most microscopic changes and how it should be 'more like melee'...

God....

You are literally in this thread gatekeeping how competitive players like to play Smash.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

God....

Get over it

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
i mean...yah..i certainly rolled my eyes and get over watching any more smash tournaments after someone was literally boo-ed for using Bayonetta at evo last year....

talk about gatekeeping.

You're not even being coherent any more. Evidently people enjoy playing the games in a competitive setting when it has some of/the most entrants at big tournaments like EVO, so you're basically telling people to stop having fun because you personally don't like it. Its juvenile.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You're not even being coherent any more. Evidently people enjoy playing the games in a competitive setting when it has some of/the most entrants at big tournaments like EVO, so you're basically telling people to stop having fun because you personally don't like it. Its juvenile.
apparently, you are just replying on the 'Evo' part without replying on the 'bayonetta player being boo-ed' part...

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Its always amusing to see people so upset that others enjoy playing a different way. Get over it.

I think you misunderstood, mine comment was a harmless joke at the fact that there are lots of rules about what can and cannot be used in competitive Smash in the west. I could not care less how players enjoy the competitive scene there.

I do imagine however that they aren't a group with only one opinion and I think there is probably some difference of opinion about what should and should not be allowed, so it does seem strange to act like the group has one monolithic opinion.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The way Sakurai acted scared of Bayonetta while playing Classic had to be a top-tier troll. He knows what he did to that character. The AI is terrible with her anyway. Doesn't even know how to use her FS.