• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
iOs9X2a.png
I find it curious that they went for the KoF XIV looks, like Yamazaki for example. I wonder if SNK had a hand in that.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lara Croft is by far the biggest female character in gaining besides Princess Peach, Zelda, and maybe Chun-Li. She'd be a huge pick for DLC.

Yep. People will shoot down popular female characters by claiming there's more important popular male characters first in line but don't bat an eye when the likes of Joker and Terry get in before Chun-Li or Lara Croft.

Bingo. What about having both Nes and Lucas? A third male fire emblem character before a female one? The examples are endless

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Terry is a great DLC character who puts a hard spotlight on how shitty Ultimates input buffering and online are. Guess hes going away until local play happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Mai and Chun-li look like there about to start kissing.
I was looking at my friends street fighter art book and Akiman's comments for that picture were something like (this picture has a lot of tension I was very careful to make their lips almost touch and put a lot of work into making this drawing super hot) or some shit like that lmao

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own, but it's a great presentation, especially the first 15-20 minutes.
Oh, I'm sure it was great (especially if you like Terry), but I don't really think watching a 45 minute presentation on a character I'm not fond of is a good use of time. The Hero presentation was shorter but I didn't watch that one either for the same reason.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm sure it was great (especially if you like Terry), but I don't really think watching a 45 minute presentation on a character I'm not fond of is a good use of time. The Hero presentation was shorter but I didn't watch that one either for the same reason.

It appealed to me because I don't know shit about Terry or the games he's in and Sakurai does a great job explaining the history and context.

Totally not twisting your arm btw feel free to pass

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say that? My point is that Nintendo and Sakurai have made choices that affect representation.

As a whole, their choices really haven't done anything to result in better gender representation in games.
It's way more due to the industry as a whole. Smash is mainly all iconic heroes and villains from japanese franchises.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well. The issue with this argument is that Smash certainly elevates characters. Marth. Ness. Captain falcon, etc. Basically any character from games less popular than smash gets a boost. Sakurai and Nintendo choose which characters get in. Hence, they may exacerbate or ameliorate the problem. They're worsening it here.

Shulk got in. Not Elma.
Luigi in before Peach.
Male vs female defaults are a choice.
Elma didn't get in because the newcomer roster was smaller than usual because of all vets coming back. Sakurai wanted to honor Iwata making the smash ballot for fans and brought all bets back and wanted to put in a bunch of high ballot characters that mostly happened to be male.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Luigi got in before Peach largely because he was a clone, sort of like Puff being repurposed Kirby.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I find it curious that they went for the KoF XIV looks, like Yamazaki for example. I wonder if SNK had a hand in that.
Cripey.

Ah so that's how they managed to get so many characters in, it's converted from the original model. I guess SNK gave them as much data as they wanted.
It's funny how in Blue Mary's case the wrinkle textures in her pants are almost a one to one match (although at a far lower resolution). Maybe some of them are based in part off the KOF14 models, but I think in general the Smash models are different. They also feature more cartoon-like proportions, like slightly oversized heads.

kx61rdC.png

hdl4jWd.png

Honestly the character models in KOF14 are pretty decent.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
I wanted the song Oh Angel in the game. I guess that one would of been a stretch to get.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about SNK but this was a fantastic presentation. Just listening to Sakurai geek out and drop knowledge is so fun. He really brings something special to Smash.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Sakurai got the idea for Smash Bros. while fiending in playing The King of Fighters, when he beat up a casual couple that sat opposite of him in one of those NeoGeo cabs.
hearing him talk about BnBs and revealing that he's an iori fanboy and making references to the NESTS storylines...man you could tell he loves that series to death

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Or Smash is about picking the most important/iconic characters.
Aka it's an industry problem, as said in the XX threads about it already made.
And as stated before, you say that as though iconic options for women don't exist. It's mostly the industry's fault, true. But Sakurai & Nintendo still shoulder a decent chunk of the blame.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
And as stated before, you say that as though iconic options for women don't exist. It's mostly the industry's fault, true. But Sakurai & Nintendo still shoulder a decent chunk of the blame.
I just gave multiple options for iconic female characters a few posts earlier. Just read those.
It's not Sakurai/Nintendo's fault if they can't put everyone in the game (it's not MUGEN), that they want to sell DLC (they're not going to waste dev time and money on characters that wouldn't sell, male or female), and that there's more important characters to choose from specific series (Ken is a Ryu clone, he doesn't really count as new SF character, but nobody would choose Chun-Li over Ryu, just like nobody would choose Tifa over Cloud, or Lady over Dante), on top of the rating issues (plenty of iconic female characters wouldn't work with the rating boards as seen with Mai, or choosing Kasumi over Ryu, or 2B, etc).
It's an industry issue, there's no debate to have about this. I wish some characters could get in (male and female), but that's not how it works. Some like to dream forever, I just prefer to be realistic.

edit: can we go back on the topic of Terry now?
There's a thread about representation in Smash already I believe.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the presentation. I don't know anything about SNK but that was great, was pretty cute watching Sakurai fanboy over SNK lol. Dude feels like the most down to earth dev ever.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how in Blue Mary's case the wrinkle textures in her pants are almost a one to one match (although at a far lower resolution). Maybe some of them are based in part off the KOF14 models, but I think in general the Smash models are different. They also feature more cartoon-like proportions, like slightly oversized heads.

kx61rdC.png

hdl4jWd.png

Honestly the character models in KOF14 are pretty decent.
KOF 14's graphics only look bad because of the shitty lighting engine, TBH

I also second that the Smash models are new.

I just gave multiple options for iconic female characters a few posts earlier. Just read those.
It's not Sakurai/Nintendo's fault if they can't put everyone in the game (it's not MUGEN), that they want to sell DLC (they're not going to waste dev time and money on characters that wouldn't sell, male or female), and that there's more important characters to choose from specific series (Ken is a Ryu clone, he doesn't really count as new SF character, but nobody would choose Chun-Li over Ryu, just like nobody would choose Tifa over Cloud, or Lady over Dante), on top of the rating issues (plenty of iconic female characters wouldn't work with the rating boards as seen with Mai, or choosing Kasumi over Ryu, or 2B, etc).
It's an industry issue, there's no debate to have about this. I wish some characters could get in (male and female), but that's not how it works. Some like to dream forever, I just prefer to be realistic.

edit: can we go back on the topic of Terry now?
There's a thread about representation in Smash already I believe.
Solution:

terrysnk.jpg

JK jk

You're right, assuming your reasoning is their reasoning.

On the other hand, if Geno really is the last DLC character then throw all of that out the window.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
So it sounds like Terry has multiple voice options (old and new)?

Wish they would let me choose Ryu's voice without having to change everything, I want his Japanese one, hate the English SF stuff sooo much.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the Psycho Soldier theme is still amazing, Sakurai and the team went out of their way for this. I'm happy to see that lately Sakurai has seem better and happier in these presentations, hell he is even cracking jokes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like Terry has multiple voice options (old and new)?

Wish they would let me choose Ryu's voice without having to change everything, I want his Japanese one, hate the English SF stuff sooo much.
No he just have different lines that can happen. In the old games he said POWAH WAYVE and the new he says RAWK CHU so in smash he can say one or the other, I think.