• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I've actually been addicted to online tourneys and such for the last month or so. I can see the necessity and even the fun of Itemless 1-on1s but at the end of the day when stuff about stage bannings gets talked about it's always gonna be like that OCD friend who feels the need to obsessively pick at their food before eating it.
I don't disagree with this, but to me that's the beauty of Smash. The argument for why it's not a fighting game is always "Smash needs to bend its rules to fit something that resembles a 1v1 fighting game" but the truth is you're not actually altering rules or how the game is played because all of these rules are an option. Smash isn't "bending", it's existing as it's designed.

It's also designed to be what you like as well! So maybe the answer should be more tournament options. Let people have fun and compete however they want.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was being conservative in what I was trying to express, but yeah, he may be a bit more of a horndog than not lol.
That's the impression I got when doing research for this thread. My main concern at this point is his regression when it comes to representation (especially regarding women) in Smash, but that's another topic for another thread.....like the one linked.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
97 was one of the ones I first tried when I was new to SNK. It's really REALLY story rich especially for a 16bit arcade game from the 90s which just wowed me back then (barring the silly translation SNK was so infamous for back then). 2000 is solid too, but it's the last one they made before the bankruptcy so I feel like it suffers a bit in the presentation and it's just sorta ho-hum in comparison.

I don't think 97 is on sale, right? I've read really good things about 2002. I'll probably scoop 2000 just to mess around with for a little :)

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Anybody tried fighting against Terry with Ganondorf or other heavy characters? His Bare Knuckle (Strong Command Input) negates a lot of Smash attacks. He's definitely better than the shotos by a mile. Been trying to parry it online.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Never heard of this series before he was revealed but Sakurai seems like a pretty big fan lol. Not particularly interested in playing him myself but he looks pretty unique to play with all of the advanced (for Smash) combos.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I don't think 97 is on sale, right? I've read really good things about 2002. I'll probably scoop 2000 just to mess around with for a little :)
The titles are these

I remember seeing this and thinking "97 on there is kinda random..."

Nothing wrong with trying 2000. :) But I feel like the other titles on the list here will be better for your money (aside from the clunky Fatal Fury)

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played normal fighting games outside of some Tekken and personally I never fail the inputs for Terry. It feels like the margin of error is pretty big. The hard part for me is the attack cancelling.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played normal fighting games outside of some Tekken and personally I never fail the inputs for Terry. It feels like the margin of error is pretty big. The hard part for me is the attack cancelling.
It's weird. I can cancel his regular attack string (A,A,A) into Power Dunk with ease, but the example Sakurai showed of the Kick into Power Wave seems very strict to me.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird. I can cancel his regular attack string (A,A,A) into Power Dunk with ease, but the example Sakurai showed of the Kick into Power Wave seems very strict to me.
I've found that sometimes the opponent can shield or parry even if I attack cancel so for now I go for the safer back special after attack cancel since it goes past shields. Unless I go for a kill ofc.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This was really great to watch.

Is it more Sakurai or Nintendo who's responsible for the general air of talking candidly about videogames, videogame history, etc? I gotta assume it's Sakurai's idea but Nintendo still gives the go ahead. It's awesome. I want more.

Anyways, I love these. Sakurai should have his own YouTube channel or feature on Nintendo's where he talks about games. It would be awesome. Guy must be one of the biggest/most serious gamers who ever lived. He seems to know like everything and appears to play/own like everything. Doesn't he have some ridiculous collection and confirms he makes time for games nearly every day??

A few questions/comments:

- What was it he said was a reference to one of the anime? I'm a huge fan of the 3 Fatal Fury anime but nothing really jumped out at me. Was it one of the costumes he has? He mentioned a nod to a Fatal Fury Anime when he was talking about the costumes but I'm not sure what he meant.

- Kinda wish you could turn his back to the screen. You can't enjoy Terry's model as well that way (Ryu/Ken too). Bit of a nitpick.

- Is the music track from Garou Mark Of The Wolves that sounds a lot like Robert Miles' "Children" one of the tracks? I assume not.

- Speaking of the music, oh man it is all so fantastic.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
My friend and I did a Ganon ditto on the KoF stage and it was a blast. I really hope it becomes a side event at Smash tourneys, it would be so fun.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
This was really great to watch.

Is it more Sakurai or Nintendo who's responsible for the general air of talking candidly about videogames, videogame history, etc? I gotta assume it's Sakurai's idea but Nintendo still gives the go ahead. It's awesome. I want more.

Anyways, I love these. Sakurai should have his own YouTube channel or feature on Nintendo's where he talks about games. It would be awesome. Guy must be one of the biggest/most serious gamers who ever lived. He seems to know like everything and appears to play/own like everything. Doesn't he have some ridiculous collection and confirms he makes time for games nearly every day??

A few questions/comments:

- What was it he said was a reference to one of the anime? I'm a huge fan of the 3 Fatal Fury anime but nothing really jumped out at me. Was it one of the costumes he has? He mentioned a nod to a Fatal Fury Anime when he was talking about the costumes but I'm not sure what he meant.

- Kinda wish you could turn his back to the screen. You can't enjoy Terry's model as well that way (Ryu/Ken too). Bit of a nitpick.

- Is the music track from Garou Mark Of The Wolves that sounds a lot like Robert Miles' "Children" one of the tracks? I assume not.

- Speaking of the music, oh man it is all so fantastic.
-One of Terry's costumes has the metal plate on the front of the hat like the anime, that's probably what he meant.

-There's no Garou music included at all.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Lewd.

My biggest disappointment is the stage. The KOF stage is bland and generic and so visually similar to many other Smash stages.

So many awesome, detailed stages full of charm and personality in the Fatal Fury and KOF series and this is what they go with?

No Southtown?

I think Geese's Penthouse would be great. Even, it goes well with the KO system implemented for this stage. But on the other hand this generic KOF stage allowed cameos and an incredible music collection that wouldn't integrate well with my idea.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "debate" was about playable characters. I've already complained about Leona not being with the Ikari Warriors.
The post you quoted said cameo characters.

But even the idea that Sakurai and Nintendo are sticking to some hierarchy of fame and importance doesn't make sense. We got Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry before anyone from Resident Evil, and we didn't see a Dragon Quest character for 11 years after Brawl.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
-One of Terry's costumes has the metal plate on the front of the hat like the anime, that's probably what he meant.

-There's no Garou music included at all.

Ahhhh yeah that makes sense. He has 3 schemes that look pretty similar so it was hard for me to place which was even which. I'll take a closer look at them. My fave will definitely be the one closest to the anime then.

Bit of a surprise there's no Garou tracks in here. I wonder why.

Speaking of the anime/music, it wouldn't happen for obvious reasons but boy would I flip if any of the amazing music from the anime movie made it in.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take terry just for getting a football field/stadium stage alone. The closest we will get to a madden stage.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take terry just for getting a football field/stadium stage alone. The closest we will get to a madden stage.

gqKu1Fv.jpg

is he next?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Yeah, stale moves are a thing where using the same attack repeatedly causes it to lose some damage and knockback power, it also bacomes predictable and easier for the opponent to guess your next action if not mixed up.

Oh I meant in the context of finding it unfun to play against. I forgot about the lessened damage thing. I'm always mixing it up so I never have to deal with it in my side but yeah I see it when other people try it on me.

I hate when people recycle the same two moves or techniques, it's annoying as hell and not fun to play against.

I figured he meant it was just a lame way to play but you're right he probably just meant it isn't very effective.

I got all excited Sakurai was my spirit animal.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Stale moves are interesting because while they're intended to level the playing field, they're also something extra to calculate when considering if your attack will KO or combo.

Oct 25, 2017
Stale moves/fresh moves are cool but it bums me that I can't just combo into power dunk over and over again. It does feel good when burn knuckle randomly KOs because it's fresh though

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should ban button presses in tournaments. Some people's fingers are longer and bigger than others so they have an unfair advantage.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
In the topic of stage list or ruleset modern competitive smash community is very very conservative, because some of the previous smash games got some very degenerate mechanics(chain grabs, ledge invicibility, cave of live, sharking) and the top tiers could exploit them, but things like slopes, stages with smash blastzones, asynchronous platforms layout, light of the stage, random stage transitions, platforms that moves, stages with ankward ledges where never considerated as "jank", literally the reason good stages with hazards on aren't in the stagelist like FoD or smashville is because the community think that their players cannot read or check simple icons.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Ugh Like, I can understand wanting her and all, but calling her the "real" Terry is just so gag inducing.

This is the real Fatal Cutie as far as I'm concerned.

Haha, I know male Terry has been in like a billion great games and girl Terry has been in one reportedly terrible and exploitative one that I didn't even bother looking at, but you know, what even is reality? Didn't mean to make you sick. ;)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching the demonstration again, I realize how unhelpful Sakura's hand motions are, especially when he's explaining how to do a special move facing the opposite direction.