• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Edit:
I'm reposting it here because we're on a new page. 80% of the people here will miss it.

Masahiro Sakurai's video interview on Persona.

Translation (credit goes to ex-aid911):

Super ultra rough translation deluxe.
Q1. First Persona Game he played.
Persona on the Playstation1 but goes back to SMT. Specifically mentions Persona 3 as the start of the "Stylish" (Modern) Persona games.
Q2. Initial reaction to P5
The colours and style stood out. Compared to Persona 4, which was colourful, Persona 5's colours, mostly red, might initially appear bland in comparison. However, it was really impressive especially with the presentation and style.
Q3. Favourite part of P5
The Menus. Goes into depth at how they are very unique among the industry. (He really loves them.)
Q4. You said in your column that you really loved Persona 5.
Talks about a lot of things. Mentions the characters being very lively and states its a staple across the series.
Q5. Favourite Character
Everyone. Only social link he didn't max is Yusuke. Didn't expect the game to finish in December and even loaded an older save to see if he could max it out but to no avail.
Q6. So, you like to play games with one attempt?
He wants to see all the events. (Some more translation needed.)
Q7. Why did you get into Persona?
The battle system is thrilling. The mechanics make the experience really fun.
Q8. Music
He bought the CD's and listened to them a lot.
Q9. Regarding Atlus Games
They take a long time to finish. You have to prepare yourself and commit. Mention Persona Q2 also.
*Edited. Also some more translations.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1078213685192126464

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Haha about Q5, it's really something that need to be fixed in P5R, if you want to max everything you can't waste a few days basically.
Took me 2 playthrough to max confidants.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haha about Q5, it's really something that need to be fixed in P5R, if you want to max everything you can't waste a few days basically.
That's how it should be. There's no point if the time management aspect of the game is ultimately superficial and without risk or trade-offs. Persona 5 was also the easiest game to max all confidants without a guide for help. Had to make real considerations in P3 and P4.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. The point is to choose the people you really want and/or time manage very well. It would take away a large part of the point if you can bumble your way through and get everyone . Until second playthrough where you can easily max everyone.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is def coming to switch, huh?

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hope he takes some notes on the menus. You can have style and personality without sacrifing efficiency.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
unknown.png

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai might as well be the head of Nintendo's Japanese 3rd party relations team.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love Sakurai's enthusiasm for gaming. Dude works like a madman and still loves and enjoys the hobby.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai's only regret seems to be that he couldn't make the P5 menus into a playable character and had to settle for Joker, lol.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised he maxed every character confidant (I assume including non-Phantom Thieves?) including Haru and not Yusuke lol

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised he maxed every character confidant (I assume including non-Phantom Thieves?) including Haru and not Yusuke lol

I know right? He's super clingy in the summer, texting you every night to hang out.

I found Futaba the hardest because she comes in so late in the game, and you need a certain level to hang out with her.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I didnt even max out Haru.... hope we can see all the phantom thieves as cameos in Joker's stage.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's how it should be. There's no point if the time management aspect of the game is ultimately superficial and without risk or trade-offs. Persona 5 was also the easiest game to max all confidants without a guide for help. Had to make real considerations in P3 and P4.
Can confirm. No guide here and I maxed all confidants. Turned out much better than my playthroughs of P3 + FES and P4 + Golden.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Joker being in Smash is a big deal for ATLUS.

Feels like only Square Enix doesn't care at all (which is why I hope we don't get any other SE character in Smash).

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like All Out Attack would make a good final Smash.

Sakurai loves Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2 he has good taste.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm continually impressed by the breadth of games Sakurai plays, and the fact that he manages to make time for all of them.