• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Source Gaming has provided a summary of Masahiro Sakurai's thoughts on Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

The full thread is viewable in the link above, but I'll also include the summary here:
Sakurai cleared Xenoblade Chronicles 2 during his New Year's vacation. He had to dedicate a lot of time to it because of the immense amount of content, but says having so much to do also creates a real sense of growth and development....
Sakurai praises the game's sprawling world, unique story and rich soundtrack. He thinks the map's use of high and low terrain and its variety of areas makes it great for an open world game....
From a developer's perspective, he considers Xenoblade 2 a considerable achievement. Says Monolith Soft's assistance to Breath of The Wild's development might have improved their own open world know-how....
It took him a really long time to play, but for open world games, big is the right way to do it. He thinks the feeling of freedom, doing things in the order you like and going on adventures with your crew is an essential aspect of open world games.
The game isn't quickly consumable, so it may not fit modern consumers' taste. Time you spend playing one game could be spent enjoying other games. But in a world with many different types of games, it's crucial to have games like Xenoblade 2.
There are things you can't get by just rushing through the game. If you take your time, and dig deep, there's a lot to love. It's a rare type of game, so if you're going to play it, then plant your feet and take on the challenge. Translation by @brando_themando and @PushDustIn
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XB2 wasn't an open world game at all though.

It had a series of open levels that the story took you through in a linear fashion. Then there'd be a hub village with sidequests. But open world? Nah.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear Sakurai enjoyed his time with the game. Definitely looking forward to Rex + Pyra/Mythra being characters in Smash.

So, does this mean, dare I say...Rex confirmed for Smash?

Can you imagine if Sakurai made Rex + Pyra similar to Ice Climbers / Rosalina + Luma? Rex could get stronger as his affinity with Pyra increases during battle as long as they're in proximity, and weaker if she's farther away or KO'd off the stage.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 3 is a day one for me now after Xenoblade 2. Build on the same concept of driver-blade, but make a complete spin on it.

PushDustIn

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder, this is a SUMMARY of what was said and are not direct quotes. If you guys have any additional questions about the translations feel free to tag me.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So, does this mean, dare I say...Rex confirmed for Smash?

mqdefault.jpg

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, there can only be one answer, it's Morag joining Smash, her Ultrasmash is her summuning the Ardainian Soldiers rocking their original voice-line!

OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I don't recall him sharing his thoughts on Xenoblade X.
I don't remember him writing about Xenoblade 1 either, but considering its Japanese release predated North America's by two years, I wouldn't have been following any info on Xenoblade 1 before the NA release announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't quickly consumable, so it may not fit modern consumers' taste. Time you spend playing one game could be spent enjoying other games. But in a world with many different types of games, it's crucial to have games like Xenoblade 2.
I think this is the biggest take away for XC2 and why reception is a bit mixed. It demands a ton from the player and if they're not willing to put the effort they're not going to learn it's systems and enjoy the final game.

Had fun spending 100 hours with this case and the creative world with fantastic music, could've been trimmed here and there and some things adjusted like the map, but it's a good time

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, but I find it weird when people call games like Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey open world. Like, you're fulfilling criteria to go from one isolated area to the next. Yeah, each area is big and open, but I think that just makes them big and open levels. It feels like more of an expansion of the kind of levels in 3D collectathons than a version of open world like in GTA, Fallout, or BotW.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I'll spoiler tag it in case:

I would love it if his kit would be

Rex that switches between 3 blades
- Pyra
- Nia
- Roc

Final smash is Mythra
There's a spoiler for something that happens much later than Chapter 2

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, but I find it weird when people call games like Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey open world. Like, you're fulfilling criteria to go from one isolated area to the next. Yeah, each area is big and open, but I think that just makes them big and open levels. It feels like more of an expansion of the kind of levels in 3D collectathons than a version of open world like in GTA, Fallout, or BotW.
So... The Witcher 3 is not an open world gamer... According to you.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Loved my time with the game glad to see a prominent game developer agrees with me. Would be cool to see something from it make it into the next smash but I really kind of hope Sakurai is allowed to work on something else it sounds like the previous Smash game about killed him.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I was beginning to worry that JRPGs had passed me by after strongly disliking both FFXV and P5, but XB2 put those fears to rest -- just a fantastic game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Xenoblade 3 is a day one for me now after Xenoblade 2. Build on the same concept of driver-blade, but make a complete spin on it.
And then, cynic that I am, I also hope we can wish for such a game without it somehow omitting an aspect that worked really well in the previous ones. I feel like you never know when a sequel comes out that ends up bastardizing what you liked about that series, so I really just hope we can have another XBC one day that feels like it's everything the previous games were but then soars even higher.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, close enough. I think most people considers the term open world to mean really big environment with a lot of locations to visit, not strictly open in the sense that you can go anywhere you want right from the get go.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The only Xenoblade 2 character that deserves to be in Smash is
DON'T FORGET ME!!!
guy.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Rex getting in Smash before Elma would probably be the first time I would be made about a character inclusion in Smash. I would just use him as a sandbag forever. I don't mind anybody else getting in though, even Tora