• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All we know is that its a sci-fi manga that was said before to be released monthly. Some scans were shown during Jump Festa.

Can Kishi replicate Naruto's success or will he too be a one hit wonder like Akira Toriyama, where the breakout hit continues to dominate their career?

Personally, I don't think it can replicates Naruto's success simply because Naruto was a global cultural phenomenon and since then no other manga has really been able to replicate DBZ/Naruto's success. Attack on Titan is probably the closest thing right now.

I think Kishi has a great artstyle and his ideas and character designs are generally very captivating so I'm looking forward to it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Kishi was a good mangaka for about 4 years. And even in the good years editors were curbing a lot of his excesses (would have been no chunin tournament were it up to him).

I dont expect anything from him.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the editors won't be as hands on? Editors ruined Naruto by adding Sasuke when it was just meant to be Naruto by himself. Yes, they ruined the series that early.

Toriyama wasn't a one-hit wonder. Dr. Slump was popular, and the reason there's nothing after Dragon Ball is that he hasn't tried to make another big hit. All he's done were short one-volume works like Cowa, Sandland, and Jaco (this one mostly an excuse for Dragon Ball world-building and putting him in the franchise).

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'll give it a look if it contains more detail like early Naruto. I wasn't particularly enamored with Naruto but I did read it since I liked the artwork up to the point it looked like uncolored anime stills.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'll read it until his first major timeskip, because that's about the time Naruto went to absolute shit.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
All we know is that its a sci-fi manga that was said before to be released monthly. Some scans were shown during Jump Festa.

Can Kishi replicate Naruto's success or will he too be a one hit wonder like Akira Toriyama, where the breakout hit continues to dominate their career?

Personally, I don't think it can replicates Naruto's success simply because Naruto was a global cultural phenomenon and since then no other manga has really been able to replicate DBZ/Naruto's success. Attack on Titan is probably the closest thing right now.

I think Kishi has a great artstyle and his ideas and character designs are generally very captivating so I'm looking forward to it.
What?!

Have you ever heard about dr.slump.

...too late

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
AT ain't no one hit wonder. Don't most long running weekly manga writers semi retire/work a bi monthly schedule after their first mega hit?

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Dr. Slump is the best.

latest

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, can't wait for the first two arcs to be great and the rest to just be absolute nonsense, full of sidelined female leads and asspulls.

OP
OP
Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the editors won't be as hands on? Editors ruined Naruto by adding Sasuke when it was just meant to be Naruto by himself. Yes, they ruined the series that early.

Toriyama wasn't a one-hit wonder. Dr. Slump was popular, and the reason there's nothing after Dragon Ball is that he hasn't tried to make another big hit. All he's done were short one-volume works like Cowa, Sandland, and Jaco (this one mostly an excuse for Dragon Ball world-building and putting him in the franchise).

You do know Sasuke is top 3 if not at certain times the most popular character on the show.

If anything he sold the series to many. You are right in that editors did tell Kishi to stop focusing on Sasuke but Kishi disagrees and so do fans.

How much did Dr.Slump sell?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You know what? Fuck it. I'm all for a new Kishimoto manga. Especially if it's non Naruto related.

His art is top-class, really eager to see what he comes up with.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kishimoto drew a lot of inspiration from Ghost in the Shell coming up so it doesn't surprise me he's doing a sci-fi, but I'm surprised he hasn't taken more time off.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Oh boy, can't wait for the first two arcs to be great and the rest to just be absolute nonsense, full of sidelined female leads and asspulls.
Please the entire part 1 is great and that's like 4 or 5 arcs
Part 2 was great till pain and 5 kage , sasuke vs bee and birth of naruto arcs were all good to great arcs

It's the war that was just a total mess
And even in it it had flashes of greatness , 8 gates gai and the likes

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
are you really trying to pull a sales-era to protect your original fiery hot take?
Do you think dr slump is anywhere near as popular as dragonball? Dr slump is fine if gag manga is your thing but toriyama doesn't have anything besides dragonball that could be considered popular outside japan.

Real talk if toriyama really tried do you think he could make another IP as popular as dragonball? I don't think he can. Just like I don't think kishimoto is gonna make another manga on the level of naruto.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
35 Million from 18 volumes

Shonen Jump would be jumping on the ceiling if Kishimoto's new manga did those numbers
Yep, the series would regularly sell a million copies per volume, and the anime was constantly in the top ten most watched animated series weekly. The reason they stopped making it was because Toriyama was having difficulty coming up with gags every week, if something didn't work humor-wise he would have to remake the whole thing over. Jump didn't want they to stop but Torishima and Toriyama convinced them with Dragon Ball.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The other thing about Toriyama is he probably doesn't want anothet huge hit at this point. He absolutely hated the stress and deadline pressure of doing a manga. There's a reason he's only done one shots since then apart from some design work.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think dr slump is anywhere near as popular as dragonball? Dr slump is fine if gag manga is your thing but toriyama doesn't have anything besides dragonball that could be considered popular outside japan.

Real talk if toriyama really tried do you think he could make another IP as popular as dragonball? I don't think he can. Just like I don't think kishimoto is gonna make another manga on the level of naruto.

The only manga that has sold more than Dragonball is One Piece - which has a run twice as long - so that's a goofy metric to begin with. You're saying that Toriyama is a one hit wonder because he can't make the most popular manga of the era again.