• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can you go into more detail in regards to this? How much of a role and what did they do in particular?

My problem is that you said something completely wrong at first. Got called out on it and instead of being a man and admitting to it you tried to shift goalposts and continue to say more dumb shit completely railroading the topic. I think that about covers it.
Why don't you calm the fuck down, I'll say it again that slump ain't dragonball. Why don't you go cry more about it and hop off my dick.

Toriyama isn't likely to create another mega shonen like dragonball, why are you getting so heated?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Saying to take the L with no actual evidence is embarrassing.
Here is the non exhaustive list of mangaka who have more than 1 series above 20 million in sales (according to Wikipedia):

Akira Toriyama
Takehiko Inoue
Osamu Tezuka
Mitsuru Adachi
Yoshihiro Togashi
Masanori Morita
Rumiko Takahashi
Tsukasa Hojo
Shinji Mizushima
Hiroshi Takahashi
Naoki Urasawa

This is not a large list. There are many authors that have multiple hits below 20m each, and some of these authors will also have hits that didn't cross the 20m threshold.

But at this tier of success, Toriyama is one of the few. He is literally not a one hit wonder. End of story.

Last edited:

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Will definitely be reading this. I enjoyed Naruto on a weekly basis for over a decade, I'm excited to see what he's been working on.

Spinx

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you calm the fuck down, I'll say it again that slump ain't dragonball. Why don't you go cry more about it and hop off my dick.

Toriyama isn't likely to create another mega shonen like dragonball, why are you getting so heated?
He never wanted another dragon ball. He hated that shit by the end.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Very intrigued to see what this is. I remember they paved the era with the big 3, which doesn't seem too long ago. Not surprised he's going with monthly over weekly though.

Yeah Toriyama is a bum if he can't make something as popular as the 2nd best selling manga of all time and the most popular anime/manga of all time outside of Japan. Great expectations there. Nice fucking logic.

Lets cool it a bit yeah? No reason to escalate things so much over a few differences in opinion here.
I'd rather not have to hand out warnings and potentially further derail the OPs thread.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Oh man I'd just kinda assumed he was gonna tap out with all the money he's made.

Never really got into Naruto, but I'm on board for seeing how one of the biggest mangas of all time is followed up.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Dragonball/naruto success not able to be replicated?

Attack on titan is popular sure but no mention of One piece?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody said he would or could, that was never the point. People had a problem with the OP claiming Toriyama was a one hit wonder (which is still a factually wrong statement), the level of Dr. Slump's success compared to Dragonball or Naruto or anything else is completely irrelevant, Dr. Slump was a huge success on its own.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He never wanted another dragon ball. He hated that shit by the end.
Yeah, I think he was just really tired at that point. Toriyama, while perfectly able and willing to continue his work, is very much a guy that wants to end a work to move on to the next. In Dragon Ball he really wasn't afforded that possibility because of it's success. With that said by the next year he was already creating one-shots and very short series.

I worked on the series for almost 10 years. When I reached about the third year, I was really pushing my limit, but the original editors of "Weekly ShĹŤnen Jump" in Japan made me continue the story. I have to thank them, because it was then that I really started to appreciate and enjoy creating the manga. I was able to continue for ten years, but ten years really was the limit.

OP
OP
Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is the non exhaustive list of mangaka who have more than 1 series above 20 million in sales (according to Wikipedia):

Akira Toriyama
Takehiko Inoue
Osamu Tezuka
Mitsuru Adachi
Yoshihiro Togashi
Masanori Morita
Rumiko Takahashi
Tsukasa Hojo
Shinji Mizushima
Hiroshi Takahashi
Naoki Urasawa

This is not a large list. There are many authors that have multiple hits below 20m each, and some of these authors will also have hits that didn't cross the 20m threshold.

But at this tier of success, Toriyama is one of the few. He is literally not a one hit wonder. End of story.

If that's the metric then I think Kishi will join Toriyama there.

im confused, he's not writing boruto?

Kishi does not write Boruto. His involvement is just looking over it after it has been drawn and written.

It's why much of the Naruto fandom is not on board with Boruto.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good fucking god this thread is embarrassing

thankfully theres some actual sane rational people talking but god, the lengths and absurdities some of you all go to make sure you're "correct" is easily some of the most childish shit ive ever seen on era

akira toriyama isn't a one hit wonder. it's been refuted several times, dont really need to get into that. take the fucking L and move on. really not that important.

id be interested to see what masashi does, especially with a sci-fi premise. dont know too much about it but it'd be a interesting change of pace at least.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
After Naruto's plot became complete trash, I've pretty much lost faith in Kishimoto's writing (his art is still good though).

Will probably sit this one out, maybe if it's a shorter story it might work. It was the later chapters (specifically, right after Pain) that went to hell, the ending in particular.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there's an interview published before Dragonball where Toriyama talks about Dr. Slump had made him rich. He mentioned that he bought a second house just to keep all th free merch in. So that's another reason why calling Dragonball his breakout hit is a little silly.

EDIT: This is what I'm thinking of.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/tetsukos-room-1983-akira-toriyama-interview/

Reading this interview with the "one hit wonder" comment in mind is sort of amusing.

Seriously, as of 1983, he was the 35th wealthiest person in Japan, had been swarmed by mass media during his wedding, and had to rent a second house for all the product samples he was receiving. At this point, Dr. Slump was the thing, and no one had the slightest conception that he would soon release something even bigger - much, much bigger.

In other words, although Dragon Ball did eventually become a behemoth that consumed most of his career, he is just about the opposite of a one hit wonder.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Usually those mangakas with monstrous hits never manage to replicate this kind of success. But that can be a good thing. Naruto was genuinelly great early on and now Kishimoto is rich and has forever secured his place in the manga history, so he will be able to just do whatever he wants.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The one hit wonder line definitely got a laugh from me.

I might check out Kishimoto's new work.

OP
OP
Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's outsold both combined. Worldwide and is still among the post popular anime franchises in the west (in fact it was was the most popular a year or two ago according to some research firms).

Come on, now you're just trying to push our buttons.

OP volume sales are largely from its tremendous success in Japan. Overseas it can't match Naruto or DBZ. For instance, last time I checked in France (2015), Naruto was nearing 20 million, DBZ has a LTD of 20 million and OP is around 10 million.

If you look at US then Naruto and DBZ are in an entire league compared to a manga like OP.

This doesn't just apply to manga. Anime, video game and movie sales all show this.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, now you're just trying to push our buttons.
The funny thing is the thread would be totally innocuous if he just talked about if Kishimoto could reach a similar popularity as Naruto did with his upcoming new work, but he just had to sneak in a ill-informed comment about ''one hit wonders'' and whatnot to derail his own thread, and then continue to argue about that like this is some kind of videogame sales thread. Why even do this?

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer early part 1 Naruto Art style compared to his later stuff wish he went back to that style

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Usually those mangakas with monstrous hits never manage to replicate this kind of success. But that can be a good thing. Naruto was genuinelly great early on and now Kishimoto is rich and has forever secured his place in the manga history, so he will be able to just do whatever he wants.

The interesting thing is that Dr. Slump was that monstrous hit pre-Dragon Ball. Based on the interview posted earlier, it had given Toriyama a level of success far above his peers, and made him one of the richest people in the country.

I mean, I knew it was big, but this gives some additional perspective on just how amazing it was that he went on to reach even higher highs. The man was a bonafide star, had made a massive mark on his era, with Dr. Slump being culturally ubiquitous and influential. And then he created Dragon Ball.

OP
OP
Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer early part 1 Naruto Art style compared to his later stuff wish he went back to that style

team-7-graffiti.jpg

manganaruto.jpg

CoverSplash_6.jpg

I prefer his later style even if its less detailed.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
OP volume sales are largely from its tremendous success in Japan. Overseas it can't match Naruto or DBZ. For instance, last time I checked in France (2015), Naruto was nearing 20 million, DBZ has a LTD of 20 million and OP is around 10 million.

If you look at US then Naruto and DBZ are in an entire league compared to a manga like OP.

This doesn't just apply to manga. Anime, video game and movie sales all show this.
You said globally and that includes Japan, you can't exclude it now to make the numbers fit your argument.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Worldwide manga sales ignoring japan remain even now a small portion relative to the domestic sales and unless you somehow ignore Japan in any comparison (which doesn't make sense) One Piece is the biggest series worldwide of the 3 by a substantial margin. Even if you were to compare the worldwide sales of Naruto and dragonball together (ignoring Japan) and compared it domestic alone One piece would come out on top. Worldwide records are worldwide records.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I think this rumor comes from a table of contents that is probably fake (it lists the Saiki K mangaka as starting a new series just 4 weeks after Saiki K's final chapter which is odd). Either way it will only take a day or two to know whether it is true or not.

His new series should be starting at some point this year though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
And I'm showing you how much of OP's success is concentrated in Japan, while Naruto and DBZ trounce it overseas and by a significant amount.
But worldwide is worldwide and One Piece equally "trounced" Naruto in Japan in the most important market for anime and manga sales. (Honestly use of trounced in these sorts of discussions is childish but anyway). The point remains in terms of the records themselves Naruto isn't close One Piece worldwide. It's pretty big though a bit below Dragonball with a more volumes and less sales.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But worldwide is worldwide and One Piece equally "trounced" Naruto in Japan in the most important market for anime and manga sales. (Honestly use of trounced in these sorts of discussions is childish but anyway). The point remains in terms of the records themselves Naruto isn't close One Piece worldwide. It's pretty big though a bit below Dragonball with a more volumes and less sales.
Well..Naruto destroys OP popularity wise worldwide though. Sales are sales, but this is very concentrated in one region and even if you count in Japan Naruto is a lot more recognizable than OP worldwide. People just mostly pirate it :D

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well..Naruto destroys OP popularity wise worldwide though. Sales are sales, but this is very concentrated in one region and even if you count in Japan Naruto is a lot more recognizable than OP worldwide. People just mostly pirate it :D
I mean how are you quantifying this. If your talking franchise revenue which is what these companies care about One Pieces still handedly wins worldwide and always has done. Viewership has One piece ahead worldwide in 2016 by some research firms. If you have a paramater I'd be happy to see the data.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean how are you quantifying this. If your talking franchise revenue which is what these companies care about One Pieces still handedly wins worldwide and always has done. Viewership has One piece ahead worldwide in 2016 by some research firms. If you have a paramater I'd be happy to see the data.
By paramaters of how much each IP is well known and how much intertest their generate and Naruto obliterates One Piece worldwide in those areas. It's not even remotely close:
LINK

Oct 27, 2017

This is a completely baseless claim without proof, yet it keeps being brought up over and over. All we KNOW is that One Piece has sold 430m worldwide, with 70m being outside of Japan, while Naruto has sold 220m worldwide, with no breakdown of Japanese vs international sales

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...430-million-copies-in-print-worldwide/.122794
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-10-14/masashi-kishimoto-at-new-york-comic-con/.94188

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring all the idiocy and goalpost moving. I never disliked Kushi, Naruto just doesn't connect like Fairy Tail or YYH. I'd love a good sci-fi manga. Preferably space opera, since elDLive didn't work out. :(

A space battle shonen could get a lot of mileage from the genre.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
This is a completely baseless claim without proof, yet it keeps being brought up over and over. All we KNOW is that One Piece has sold 430m worldwide, with 70m being outside of Japan, while Naruto has sold 220m worldwide, with no breakdown of Japanese vs international sales

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...430-million-copies-in-print-worldwide/.122794
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-10-14/masashi-kishimoto-at-new-york-comic-con/.94188
Naruto has sold more
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...nga-has-200-million-in-print-worldwide/.80771

Thought the breakdown of worldwide sales after that announcement would determine how much more. As of the last reported number anywhere between 10-15 million more but that was as of 2015 vs One Piece 2018 so it could be more. They're surprisingly close though.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think that is the point? That Toriyama is known for dragonball not slump. That kishimoto is gonna be known for naruto. That Kubo is known for bleach not zombie powder. That arakawa is known for FMA and not silver spoon.

Only a few people might make bigger hits than before like Mashima and togashi and the latter is debatable.
bZvaW6j.jpg