• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So why's it flopping?

Overall, the simple matter is that it's not engaging the readership of the magazine especially strongly. But I feel like that's a confluence of factors - ranging from the mildly disappointing to the tolerable with time to the straight up bad - that means the series doesn't come out consistently strong, while lacking for any clear, singular highlight that would make ardent fans really go 'You have to read this' to others, to widen its audience. Even Black Clover for its initial disparagement quickly became a known quantity in which readers of the manga, and viewers of the series, could point to some cool or interesting moment that validated their consumption of it. Even as someone who's generally been alright with Samurai 8, what I liked about it was really in the small touches that have kinda gone away beyond the series' first arc, so now I'm kinda left wondering what honest hook there is. My will to persist with it is wearing a bit thin out of sheer boredom.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Overall, the simple matter is that it's not engaging the readership of the magazine especially strongly. But I feel like that's a confluence of factors - ranging from the mildly disappointing to the tolerable with time to the straight up bad - that means the series doesn't come out consistently strong, while lacking for any clear, singular highlight that would make ardent fans really go 'You have to read this' to others, to widen its audience. Even Black Clover for its initial disparagement quickly became a known quantity in which readers of the manga, and viewers of the series, could point to some cool or interesting moment that validated their consumption of it. Even as someone who's generally been alright with Samurai 8, what I liked about it was really in the small touches that have kinda gone away beyond the series' first arc, so now I'm kinda left wondering what honest hook there is. My will to persist with it is wearing a bit thin out of sheer boredom.
True but I stand by that I think Naruto's lackluster final arc cost him some goodwill.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
True but I stand by that I think Naruto's lackluster final arc cost him some goodwill.
Nah otherwise other Naruto related things would have bombed. Boruto the movie was successful and the final volume of Naruto sold great. Loss of goodwill was had any real effect on this level it would have had to have signs of it else where.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Nah otherwise other Naruto related things would have bombed. Boruto the movie was successful and the final volume of Naruto sold great. Loss of goodwill was had any real effect on this level it would have had to have signs of it else where.

Really, if anything, it'd be that goodwill getting relatively quickly soured to then become a self-reinforcing spiral. Like, anyone who's held on since the first arc because hey, could be a slow burn that builds up later has then had to endure a battle royale which has been kinda utterly superfluous, not really introducing anyone of note - the only important people introduced a bit beforehand - while not being an interesting setting to explore because it's literally a battle royale planet. While appreciating it's come in way sooner than the chunin exam ever did for Naruto, it was a logical chance to expand the scope of the story, showcase an expanding cast, and just... nah, Kishimoto would rather not, it seems.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Battle Royal stuff was gonna be S8's tournament arc and then it was over like the next chapter.

It is properly in a narrative death spiral. Attempts to fix it, only to make things even worse.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the Battle Royal stuff was gonna be S8's tournament arc and then it was over like the next chapter.

It is properly in a narrative death spiral. Attempts to fix it, only to make things even worse.

Yeah the pacing is incredibly rushed, for a story that seems to want to try and stick around for a while.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Good god, it took forever for those four stinkers to get canned. I did read it had something do with Jump's apparent restriction of eleven new series per year?

Regardless, I really do wonder how many second chances this'll get. I sure hope it doesn't come at the cost of Mission: Yozakura Family -- you can tell Gondaira went back to the basics after Poro's failure and studied up on what makes for a fun comedy/engaging cast.

Man Hiroshi Shiibashi can't catch a break with his new series, but fuck Tokyo Shinobi Squad after that first chapter.

I only read the first chapter -- apparently it became super xenophobic afterwards?

Oct 25, 2017
Good god, it took forever for those four stinkers to get canned. I did read it had something do with Jump's apparent restriction of eleven new series per year?

Regardless, I really do wonder how many second chances this'll get. I sure hope it doesn't come at the cost of Mission: Yozakura Family -- you can tell Gondaira went back to the basics after Poro's failure and studied up on what makes for a fun comedy/engaging cast.

I only read the first chapter -- apparently it became super xenophobic afterwards?

The weird thing is it didn't. All the xenophobia vanished after the first chapter.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Shinobi Squad's problem is that it just didn't have anything going on after that arc where they stole that computer data, which was like the second story. The cool characters and abilities dropped off completely after that and we just got lamers. The story wasn't compelling either. Next arc, they have to protect an idol who's targeted by assassins for reasons but she's brave because she'll still perform.

The only semi interesting development recently happened with literally the second to last chapter today, with the lead's mentor coming to fight him.

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Guess that speaks to how forgettable the series was, ahaha.

I feel like the author wanted a "Gotham-style hellhole" but also wanted to make it multi-cultural, and stupidly wrote an anti-globalization tract into the world-building.

How's it doing in the US?

Who knows. Viz is slow when it comes to volume releases. Only One Piece and MHA are somewhat caught up (as in 3 volumes behind Japan). They're slow because they don't just translate the text, they edit the onomatopoeia into English (Jojo is the exception since Araki made it very clear that can't be changed). Other manga publishers like Kodansha US and Seven Seas simply put a small translation next to the sound effect.

So any word on Samurai 8 is solely through social media or word of mouth, and I think it's rather silent on those fronts.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the pacing is incredibly rushed, for a story that seems to want to try and stick around for a while.

Meanwhile, where the first few dozen chapters of a shonen can often expect a series of short misadventures to establish the status quo and give the cast a quick assortment of accomplishments, there isn't even that here. By chapter 28 of Fairy Tail - Fairy Tail, because I am setting the bar low here - we had:
The introduction of our primary duo
Their first mission together, which later becomes important as it has the introduction of what will become one of Lucy's summons
Another mission that showcases the guild's particular family dynamics (Macao and his son)
Their first 'big' mission which expanded the team and provided fan favourites, especially in Erza, establishing a power ceiling that Natsu would have to chase after; it also gave us hints of a dark past to the world through the reveal that there relics of some ancient evil called 'Zeref' out there
The start of the first 'personal' mission, in which it's revealed that Grey's childhood friend/rival is trying to revive a demon of Zeref that not only had killed their families, but that their joint mentor had given her life to imprison

That's five distinct story beats that have occurred. Five notable incidents with multiple parts, which have in some way progressed the story, whether by adding to the cast, showcasing the world, or revealing something about said cast, with the 'ongoing'. With Samurai 8, I feel like we've had three major things - Hachimaru becoming a Samurai, meeting Nanashi, and then his training turning into a fight against his master's former pupil, ending in
his father's death

And while that initial progression works well enough for me, after that it just... loses a lot of steam. Hachimaru vs Ryu is a mildly neat bump in the middle of things, purely in terms of a fight rather than any implications for the wider story, but it gets retrodden just a few chapters later in a way that just highlights how little it's been built up to, and what little meaning there is in the result.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Shrug I was actually enjoying beast children. But at least Mission: Yozakura Family is safe, now that's really fun.

I don't mind Samurai but it definitely hasn't found a footing on the real cast dynamic yet. Lacks a strong personal rival and drive and that's effecting the focus as the scale has gone too big

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the author wanted a "Gotham-style hellhole" but also wanted to make it multi-cultural, and stupidly wrote an anti-globalization tract into the world-building.

I had to re-read it to remember the reference. But yeah within a few pages it's "Japan turned into a hell-hole when more foreigners move in".

The only thing I enjoyed about of the series, was this multi-cultural city that felt like a Bladerunner-esque mash-up of cultures. The story and characters however...

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Shrug I was actually enjoying beast children. But at least Mission: Yozakura Family is safe, now that's really fun.

I don't mind Samurai but it definitely hasn't found a footing on the real cast dynamic yet. Lacks a strong personal rival and drive and that's effecting the focus as the scale has gone too big

I remember enjoying Beast Children's first chapter and then just...falling off? More than I can say for the other three, at least -- I knew Double Taisei was destined for the axe from the beginning.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I remember enjoying Beast Children's first chapter and then just...falling off? More than I can say for the other three, at least -- I knew Double Taisei was destined for the axe from the beginning.
Truth be told my real frustration is the Viz official translations of Act-Age, jujutsu Kaisen, demon slayer kny, and Haikyu(at least that should be caught up in a month or so) are all missing huge gaps(especially the first two) and are taking forever to fill

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Truth be told my real frustration is the Viz official translations of Act-Age, jujutsu Kaisen, demon slayer kny, and Haikyu(at least that should be caught up in a month or so) are all missing huge gaps(especially the first two) and are taking forever to fill

Demon Slayer in Dec, will start where they will be speeding up scans and adding a volume worth of content a month, until caught up (book versions also sped up with printing). I want to start Act-Age, but that gap... Darn contracts/licensing :/

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Samurai 8 needed to get to Hachimaru, Anne, Daruma, and dog starting their journey by the end of volume 1. The chapters with Nanashi were pointless and went nowhere, and all the exposition could have been spaced out during the first few arcs as opposed to being so front loaded.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that bad? Can I get a summary to save myself the pain?

Assuming you're on the anime.
Soma and Erina eventually win the Team Shokugeki (it lasted so long in the manga, it seems to be much shorter in the anime). Azami realizes he's defeated and steps down as headmaster. Rather than take his position back, Senzaemon declares Erina the new headmaster of Totsuki while Soma becomes the new #1 of the Elite Ten. That's really where the series should have ended. ... It didn't.
We time skip to everyone in their second year. At first it seems things are back to normal, but then we're told about "dark chefs". Chefs that are "too dangerous" or something, I don't recall it was really fucking stupid. Their leader is a Asahi Saiba, Soma's brother (not exactly, he's a guy that Joichiro looked after and had to leave when his wife died and he had to take care of Soma). Asahi shows how "powerful" he is by beating Joichiro in a Shokugeki. Then he infiltrates Totsuki as a teacher with his plan to win Erina's heart. Soma hears this and says he'll win it... by making her say his food is good (because you can't have the asexual protag suddenly interested in girls). Asahi beats him and literally throws him in the trash. Then during an exam about beach food, he kidnaps Erina and we see his dark chef cohorts (it's so stupid). Erina says he'll consider if he beats her at the BLUE (the big cooking competition).

We then skip to the BLUE (fuck training) as we're introduced to more dark chefs. Including one that cooks with a chainsaw, one that cooks with a guillotine, and one that cooks by juggling so fast it heats up the food. I am not kidding. And it turns out the reason Asahi is so powerful is that he's able to take these techniques they have (as well as others) and combine them. It's like fucking Nen from Hunter x Hunter at this point. It stopped even trying to be about cooking too. All the talks of recipes and preparation? Gone! Asahi ends up beating Tsukasa to further show how strong he is, and then it turns out the person running BLUE, and I am not kidding, is Erina's mother. Oh, thought we were done with Nakiri bullshit? Fuck you, she's Sasuke now! She has the God Tongue too, and it turns out to be a curse as one ends up growing so tired of food she has to be fed intravenously. To make a long story short, Soma beats Asahi, and moves on to the finals against Erina. Now, one of the goals of the series was to get Erina to say his food is delicious. She tastes it and her stripping reaction is so strong, it destroys the walls. ... She says it's disgusting "compared to what I'll make". in the final chapter. Oh wait, it's not the end.

There were three more epilogue chapters released. Part of it was nice since we got to meet Soma's late mother. But then we got a twist so unbelievably dumb that I can't believe it was written. It turns out that Asahi... is Erina's half-brother. Because a depressed Azami went to America and had a one-night stand with a local slut (not even my words, they call her that) which resulted in Asahi. But the truly worst part? Soma doesn't accomplish anything. He never beats his dad, he never takes over the restaurant, he didn't win the BLUE, he never gets Erina to say his food is delicious, the two don't even hook-up or get married! Not even a shot of wedding bands! The worst part? Yuto Tsukuda confirmed that he created Asahi to make Soma "realize his feelings for Erina". He basically killed the series... and doesn't even follow through with it.

I can't even recommend the series now. I used to say "check it out if you don't mind tits", but now it just annoys me.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Soma and Erina eventually win the Team Shokugeki (it lasted so long in the manga, it seems to be much shorter in the anime). Azami realizes he's defeated and steps down as headmaster. Rather than take his position back, Senzaemon declares Erina the new headmaster of Totsuki while Soma becomes the new #1 of the Elite Ten. That's really where the series should have ended. ... It didn't.
We time skip to everyone in their second year. At first it seems things are back to normal, but then we're told about "dark chefs". Chefs that are "too dangerous" or something, I don't recall it was really fucking stupid. Their leader is a Asahi Saiba, Soma's brother (not exactly, he's a guy that Joichiro looked after and had to leave when his wife died and he had to take care of Soma). Asahi shows how "powerful" he is by beating Joichiro in a Shokugeki. Then he infiltrates Totsuki as a teacher with his plan to win Erina's heart. Soma hears this and says he'll win it... by making her say his food is good (because you can't have the asexual protag suddenly interested in girls). Asahi beats him and literally throws him in the trash. Then during an exam about beach food, he kidnaps Erina and we see his dark chef cohorts (it's so stupid). Erina says he'll consider if he beats her at the BLUE (the big cooking competition).

We then skip to the BLUE (fuck training) as we're introduced to more dark chefs. Including one that cooks with a chainsaw, one that cooks with a guillotine, and one that cooks by juggling so fast it heats up the food. I am not kidding. And it turns out the reason Asahi is so powerful is that he's able to take these techniques they have (as well as others) and combine them. It's like fucking Nen from Hunter x Hunter at this point. It stopped even trying to be about cooking too. All the talks of recipes and preparation? Gone! Asahi ends up beating Tsukasa to further show how strong he is, and then it turns out the person running BLUE, and I am not kidding, is Erina's mother. Oh, thought we were done with Nakiri bullshit? Fuck you, she's Sasuke now! She has the God Tongue too, and it turns out to be a curse as one ends up growing so tired of food she has to be fed intravenously. To make a long story short, Soma beats Asahi, and moves on to the finals against Erina. Now, one of the goals of the series was to get Erina to say his food is delicious. She tastes it and her stripping reaction is so strong, it destroys the walls. ... She says it's disgusting "compared to what I'll make". in the final chapter. Oh wait, it's not end.

There were three more epilogue chapters released. Part of it was nice since we got to meet Soma's late mother. But then we got a twist so unbelievably dumb that I can't believe it was written. It turns out that Asahi... is Erina's half-brother. Because a depressed Azami went to America and had a one-night stand with a local slut (not even my words, they call her that) which resulted in Asahi. But the truly worst part? Soma doesn't accomplish anything. He never beats his dad, he never takes over the restaurant, he didn't win the BLUE, he never gets Erina to say his food is delicious, the two don't even hook-up or get married! Not even a shot of wedding bands! The worst part? Yuto Tsukuda confirmed that he created Asahi to make Soma "realize his feelings for Erina". He basically killed the series... and doesn't even follow through with it.

I can't even recommend the series now. I used to say "check it out if you don't mind tits", but now it just annoys me.

My God.

Yeah. I had to stop and the dark chef bullshit and figured I would catch up in a few months. That was really descriptive, thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
With Tokyo Shinobi Squad ending, it's running out of cushions.
Unless that Agravity Boys series ends up being so terrible that it manages to keep S8 alive for a little longer. But at this point, who knows if Samurai 8 has much longer left.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
With Tokyo Shinobi Squad ending, it's running out of cushions.
Unless that Agravity Boys series ends up being so terrible that it manages to keep S8 alive for a little longer. But at this point, who knows if Samurai 8 has much longer left.

I'm already enjoying Zipman! way more than I had with Samurai 8 :x

Turns out from the ranking this week, Tokyo Shinobi's last chapter was in last place with Samurai 8 in 2nd-last... For some reason that Dr. Stone Reboot series doesn't seem to be ranked? Is it like a mini-series with a set end date so it doesn't get voted on/ranked? But anyhow, that's STILL not a good sign for Samurai 8... We shall see where Zipman! places next week since the debut.

Turns out from the ranking this week, Tokyo Shinobi's last chapter was in last place with Samurai 8 in 2nd-last... For some reason that Dr. Stone Reboot series doesn't seem to be ranked? Is it like a mini-series with a set end date so it doesn't get voted on/ranked? But anyhow, that's STILL not a good sign for Samurai 8... We shall see where Zipman! places next week since the debut.

If I remember right it has been ranked and it was also in the bottom 5

Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Stone Reboot is indeed a mini-series. It's only 9 chapters long (this weekend will be Chapter 7). It's at the bottom (which is the back of the magazine) since it's not really meant to last.

The placement of new series doesn't matter until the 8th or 9th chapter. The "rankings" are based on feedback from 8 issues ago.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know.... I've shitted on Naruto with that big retrospective I did and how Kishi ruined his own series, but yet... I take no pleasure in this.

I just pity him.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
As I continue to follow this whole thing, I checked the rankings for this week - first ranking since the 4 bottom-earners got the boot. Samurai 8 is now at the very bottom. I'll be curious to see where Zipman! and Agravity settle to in the next couple weeks, but the real question is how long WSJ will keep trying to push S8 before it goes the way of the rest of the early 2019 series...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the series doesnt end soon. Ive been really enjoying it so far. I was a big fan of Naruto though, but I also feel like Samurai 8 has had a stronger start than Naruto. I would like to see him be able to at least finish the story he wanted to tell. I feel like this book has a lot of potential due to the world and I would like to see what they come up with for when they go out into space and hopefully visit new planets.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
This series has major issues, number 1 being the pacing. You're never given the time (or much of a reason) to start caring about the characters before the plot asks you be emotionally invested. Every major "cool" or "sad" moment falls completely flat for me as a result. Seeing it rock bottom doesn't surprise me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

We then skip to the BLUE (fuck training) as we're introduced to more dark chefs. Including one that cooks with a chainsaw, one that cooks with a guillotine, and one that cooks by juggling so fast it heats up the food. I am not kidding. And it turns out the reason Asahi is so powerful is that he's able to take these techniques they have (as well as others) and combine them. It's like fucking Nen from Hunter x Hunter at this point. It stopped even trying to be about cooking too. All the talks of recipes and preparation? Gone! Asahi ends up beating Tsukasa to further show how strong he is, and then it turns out the person running BLUE, and I am not kidding, is Erina's mother. Oh, thought we were done with Nakiri bullshit? Fuck you, she's Sasuke now! She has the God Tongue too, and it turns out to be a curse as one ends up growing so tired of food she has to be fed intravenously. To make a long story short, Soma beats Asahi, and moves on to the finals against Erina. Now, one of the goals of the series was to get Erina to say his food is delicious. She tastes it and her stripping reaction is so strong, it destroys the walls. ... She says it's disgusting "compared to what I'll make". in the final chapter. Oh wait, it's not the end.

Wow... I am very happy I never finished the manga. Wow...

I'll just leave this here:
God listening to Weekly Manga Recap reminds me more of the problems with Samurai 8 and its current arc.

Okay I don't care atm for spoiling since I don't think anyone here is reading Samurai 8, but in the recent chapter Daruma (the cat person) we learned earlier in the series is thatw as not his true form he used to be human but due to circumstances he is stuck in the form of a cat and thus much weaker.

The arc villain is Benkei, who has been fighting are protagonist for a bit and went up into space and so to get his stronger Samurai armor and shit to fight, but thanks to the protagnist Daruma was able to achieve his human form for a bit for the first time in who knows how long this is supposed to be a big moment.

With only 50% of his power, Daruma is able to make quick work of Benkei and defeats him and then we learn the true history of how he got more power by stealing and exploiting another character which is sad (but its not really) but it leaves a somber point that should end this arc...... but nope.

Turns out Benkei is still up and ready and goes off to his space station and is preparing to fire his space laser to blow up the planet, now the heroes are the fucking rebels from Jedi and are trying to invade and stop the Death Star and its just not exciting.

If you wanted to continue more with Benkei thats fine just have him escape not pull the you haven't stopped me yet, that undermines the whole Human Daruma moment of cutting him down and the flashback and extends an arc that didn't need it it had an endpoint

It be like in One Piece after Luffy went Snake-Man and him and Katakuri duked it out till Luffy was the only one left standing but as Luffy and Co were leaving, Sanji and Puddings farewell that Katakuri got back up and decided to make a giant Mochi wall around WCI blocking them from leaving till Katakuri was defeated again.

Or after Luffy blasted off Buggy in Orange Town and he was defeated, as the strawhats are leaving town and such Buggy begins to fire Muggy Balls from his ship and the starwhats have to defeat him still

Or in Naruto, like lets say after Naruto after he uses the Kuramas chakra for the first time is able to defeat Haku and as Kakashi is about to kill Zabuza instead of sacrificing himself to save Zabuza, Haku continues to put up even stronger Ice Mirrors to save him and is still a threat.

It frustrates me, because Kishi can still have good moments there are such events in Samurai 8 like the stuff with Hachis dad.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
TBF about those One Piece comparisons, I remember reactions during the Enies Lobby arc and several people were upset about the Luffy vs. Lucci fight continuing after Luffy used Gear 3 against him.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

My god this sounds like a train wreck haha. Id be pissed if I followed this series since the start.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Is this maybe an indication that the series isn't likely to get cancelled any time soon? Dunno if the JP side would have much say in this, but it strikes me as unlikely that Viz would push it if they felt it was in danger of getting canned.

They've already announced a physical release for it for 2020, and they are usually pretty cautious about waiting until something is safe before doing a physical release.

That said, it is a unique situation with it being from the author of Naruto.