• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, how could the sales drop even more? It seems like this is about the bottom for a series from a big name author published on Jump. It's published on a magazine with a circulation of millions and has been heavily promoted and yet barely sold more than 10k.
With the novelty of the first two volumes (with the big promotion using all those pamphlets) having passed, it could easily drop more.

But if it can up the sales to at least 30k a volume, and get some more weekly readers in the magazine, it'll have a chance to go at least 2 years. Reminder that Hinomaru Sumo sold in the 20-40k range for its entire 5 year run (though it had much better reception from magazine readers). Obviously Jump was (and is) expecting more from Kishimoto, but it would buy him some time at least.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing I got from this thread is how good Kimetsu no Yaiba is doing. I expected it to get more popular after the incredible anime but god damn are those some really good sales.

As for Samurai 8, it's bad. It has way too much composition, the art is okay but the panels and pages are messy and hard to follow, and none of the characters seem interesting. The princess girl seemed wholesome, but the whole princess thing sounded so stupid that you couldn't have any hope in Kishimoto writing her well, especially after girl characters in Naruto.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up however many chapters in that the story settled in. It was too busy visually and the story wasn't grabbing me at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly there's potential in it but boy oh boy does it have a slow start. And the art was pretty fucking messy though it's gotten better since then

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Naruto was infuriating to read even with the editor's incredible saves, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Samurai 8 is a total dud. I can't imagine how much more I would hate that manga.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to the people that recommended Chainsaw Man here. It doesn't feel like something that would be on WSJ, but it's really good.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not that invested in the series as a whole, but I'm actually kind of sad it will probably get axed, because I was waiting for Nanashi to come back, since I was interested in where Kishimoto was going to go with them. Though I have this suspicion that Kishimoto was made to drop them from the series.

I was hoping Kishimoto could pull off a well-done and successful arc for a trans character who's prominent, part of the main cast.

Kishi should've done the easy thing and done a full blown manga on Sarada Uchiha.

4zejff023ao11.png

His Uchiha-boner could cancel out his passive misogyny.

hqdefault.jpg

Alternatively, a series on Himawari Uzumaki and also give her Sage Mode and Shukaku.

hqdefault.jpg

I can dream.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Samurai 8 beginning is really rough, so many exposition about the lore, the samurai concept, etc. But it still has the emotional beat that make Naruto great in some chapters, character designs are great and the last few chapters has been really good imo.

One thing that I also like is that, other than slow early part with huge exposition, pacing for the manga now has been pretty quick. Only 20s chapters in and it feel like we already have a lot of story arc to get through, from Nanashi intro, Ann, Ata, Hachi backstory, and now battle royal where we speed through to top 100 in a single chapter

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Exposition dumps after exposition dumps, busy art, no interesting characters. It's incredibly mediocre and no surprise to me that it didn't sell well.

Kishi has been going downhill since the Chunin exam, way before part 2 so it extending into his new manga makes perfect sense.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Saddens me that 2018's best new series magus of the library isn't even on the list :(

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I gave up Samurai 8 at chapter 2 because of it's art, believe it or not... : /

I don't like it.

Sure I still could 'see it', it's not ugly per se, but the impressions I got from the art are confusing, mess, busy, unfocused, etc.

It's unenjoyable for me to look at...

Whoever did the Boruto manga art was better, even Kishimoto's original Naruto art, in my opinion.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, the sale is really bad. 2 volume contain more or less 18-20 chapters, if you failed to attract audience, it usually a good time to bring something to the table, like reborn started as gag manga then become battle shonen with cast of handsome young dude to target female reader.

A famous name won't guarantee protection from editor. Nobuhiro watsuki gun blaze west got axed in 3 volume. Kuroko no basket new work, Robo x laserbeam only got 7 volumes, which is better than most, but still bad.

Chainsawman and spy x family sales bumber though... now that some good stuff

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing very little about this series, the lead character kinda looks like a blond Denki from Boruto. That already didn't bode well for hopes of creating something that would become popular.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Art is really confusing but those past three chapters were good imo, but I don't think the series will run for long.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Want to bring up a comparison.
Both Chainsawman and Samurai 8 feature socially isolated and badly sick characters that get over their respective illnesses by the end of the first chapter.

Denji's origin had a huge influence on him, from how he sees the world, to how he interacts with people, to how he handles his love life.
You can draw a clear line from his childhood isolation and his troubles dealing with his feeling for Makima and Reze in the most recent chapter.

On the other hand, as soon as he's cured, Hachimaru just becomes your generic shonen protagonist.
He's good and righteous and nice.
He's a little embarrassed about his past for two chapters, but quickly gets over it.

The problem with S8 isn't just that its early chapters are slow and boring, but that they are useless and quickly ignored.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think it is ok, the world and lore are interesting but the art is sometimes messy (although getting better), the characters a bit shallow and i don't like how quick power escalates, we are already at moon-destroying feats.

Now Chainsawman, that's some dope shit.

Nov 17, 2017
That's dumb but everything else I'd be cool with

I don't think they do seals anymore. If they did, they'd not only have to put it on his daughter but also his wife
Well, the seals only went onto the side branch members and since Hinata is main branch she wouldn't get it. Which I guess means Naruto's daughter wouldn't get it either.

I would think they stopped it all around though because the thing was basically a shock collar.

Nov 17, 2017
But Hiashi's twin brother got it and Hinata isn't the heir anymore, Hanabi is.
To be honest, that plot point is so far in the past I might be misremembering things. I thought it was just that side branch members get the seal no matter what. Hinata not being the heir wouldn't make her side branch, she just wouldn't lead the main branch. She's still main branch though, right?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
To be honest, that plot point is so far in the past I might be misremembering things. I thought it was just that side branch members get the seal no matter what. Hinata not being the heir wouldn't make her side branch, she just wouldn't lead the main branch. She's still main branch though, right?

No. Anyone that's not the heir or children of the heir is side-branch.

Hiashi's twin (Neji's father) got it despite being born a few seconds after Hiashi.

Hinata's in the same position as Neji's dad despite being born first because she got disinherited.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I just assume Naruto accomplished everything he wanted too as soon as he became Hokage. Not like the series would ever go into detail about the actual work he has to do.
That's what I assume too. I mean he did say he'd change the Hyuuga. At the same time Oro is still around doing his crap and they all let him live due to diplomacy.

Nov 17, 2017
No. Anyone that's not the heir or children of the heir is side-branch.

Hiashi's twin (Neji's father) got it despite being born a few seconds after Hiashi.

Hinata's in the same position as Neji's dad despite being born first because she got disinherited.
Ah, I figured I was misremembering something.

Speaking of seals, did the Hyuuga stop that shit yet lol?
I'm pretty sure they don't do it anymore. Hiashi is a changed man in Boruto.

abf8db41828c6b6b8a04db2e40d8107ef31ea50f_hq.gif

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Samurai 8, I'm really happy to see Kimetsu no Yaiba doing that well. It's great.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Ah, I figured I was misremembering something.

I'm pretty sure they don't do it anymore. Hiashi is a changed man in Boruto.

abf8db41828c6b6b8a04db2e40d8107ef31ea50f_hq.gif

When your father-in-law is a better Eugenics master than Orochimaru.

Of course he is,
his plan worked.

Time for phase 2.

Marry Boruto to Sarada(the last Uchiha and probable 9th Hokage) and marry Himawari to a promising male Hyugaa.

Phase 3 is marrying Boruto and Sarada's daughters to Himawari's sons.

It's all for the benefit of the Hyuga Clan.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not surprised it hasn't caught on so far. The story so far seems far too rushed with pretty art and some bad paneling. It would have been a bit better if the first arc was a little more fleshed out instead of cutting direct to the main story, planet-hopping. The paneling and direction could have used some work as well to more clearly define some of the action.

The initial concept seems great, but the execution isn't and I've started falling off already. Maybe the anime will revitalize it, but by then it might be too late.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping for some more relevant info...

4 of the bottom rankings WSJ have been cancelled:

This now marks Samurai 8 as the current "bottom earner that isn't yet cancelled" as it ranked 5th last last week. Should be interesting going forward how things will pan out. I sure hope the new replacement series will be good though, and curious to see if they will end up out ranking Samurai 8. They will keep pushing it till the end.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Man Hiroshi Shiibashi can't catch a break with his new series, but fuck Tokyo Shinobi Squad after that first chapter.