• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
untitled-1adkfv.jpg

January 26th marks the 10th anniversary of Mass Effect 2, BioWare's highly anticipated and enormously successful follow-up to Mass Effect.

Regardless of how you feel about the direction BioWare took with the sequel relative to its predecessor, there's no denying the impact that Mass Effect 2 had on the scope of the franchise, BioWare's perception amongst fans, and the public appreciation for their work. For the original's humbled but troubled begginings (troubles I mainly correlate to being an early Unreal Engine 3 title), Mass Effect 2 saw the series spawn into something far larger.

Critically lauded and commercially a huge success, Mass Effect 2 remains of (if not?) BioWare's most acclaimed titles, the Xbox 360 build sitting at 96 Metacritic and the year of 2010 ending with numerous Game of the Year awards. It is often cited as not only a favourite within the four game saga, but for many one of the best games they've ever played. And, while this is a totally subjective perspective, I cite Mass Effect 2 as one of those "everyone is talking about it" moments in gaming, where I distinctly recall public advertisements front and centre, cover stories on numerous magazines, and just being one of those games everyone who played games seemed to know about. With this aggressive marketing approach from EA and the general hype surrounding the game, for many Mass Effect 2 was their very first introduction to the series.

Where Mass Effect 1 saw a prequel novel and two (including one rather mediocre) DLC packs, the expanded universe content for Mass Effect 2 exploded. Mass Effect: Ascension would continue the original novel's arc and begin bridging the gap to Mass Effect 2, while Retribution would cover some details post game. Mass Effect: Redemption was a four part comic series acting as a character prequel into Mass Effect 2, and before Mass Effect 3 dropped BioWare would produce additional series including Invasion, Evolution, Incursion, Inquisition, and Conviction.

For interactive content, BioWare launched Mass Effect Galaxy six months prior to Mass Effect 2, an iOS game introducing Miranda and Jacob. And finally, Mass Effect 2 is home to some of BioWare's largest single player DLC output, including several gun and armour packs, but mainly mission content such as Zaeed's Price of Revenge, Firewalker, Operation Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Kasumi's Stolen Memory.

While the series was primarily home on Xbox and PC, PlayStation only gamers would finally get a chance to see the series a year later as the game was ported to PlayStation 3. Nintendo fans have Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and err....yeah.

And so that's that. Happy 10th Birthday to Mass Effect 2, a game that for some spelled the end of BioWare's traditional design approach to role playing and bastardised the potential of the Mass Effect series, to others an experience that remains one of the absolute best they've ever had and often cited as a favourite of all time, and everybody else falling somewhere in between.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just started replaying it a few days ago and going for the platinum. I still love it despite the jank and tech problems.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I love the entire trilogy but 2 is something else.

Probably the greatest sequel ever made.

Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2 and Assassins Creed 2 are up there as sequels that just works.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Probably one of my favorite games ever.

Mass Effect has a special place in my heart. Shame what they did to it.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
The Suicide Mission remains as the pinacle of videogame set pieces and one of gaming finest moments, I still shiver in anticipation of crossing the Omega 4 relay, by now I know exactly what to do to save everyone in my crew and get the Normandy at full power, but at that moment it was the biggest holy shit I've ever had in a game

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I really hope Bioware hits their stride again at some point in the future. I want more of these types of games. Or at least give us the remake we deserve!

The ME trilogy is kind of the LOTR trilogy of gaming for me, in that I return to them almost religiously every year or two.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The series absolutely peaked with this one for me, and it's now one of my top 10 games of all time as a result. The level of choice and the narrative itself has never been properly recreated in video games for me. The characters were so well written and engaging. The mission was one of suicide, and damned if the game didn't make you want to save each and every one of them.

It took a janky ass first instalment and turned it into something absolutely superb. The sequel also, for a variety of reasons, didn't hold up.

This moment with the score firing up in the background has never quite been replicated. It felt like you were part of it.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Also that fucking launch trailer

"We need a leader, and surround him/her with the brightest, the toughest, the deadliest allies we can find..."

<3 <3 <3

Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect 2 was really surprising to me. As it's pretty much the only sequal where what I got wasn't what I wanted, but still thoroughly enjoyed anyway. I wanted a proper continuation of the reaper storyline and the sense of exploration and discovery of the first game. However, the combat was much better than expected and side-stories are amazing. It's kinda sad what the series has become (I still enjoyed ME3). I miss my power fantasy set in the far future, and it seems like Star Wars is not going deliver on this front at all.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favourite game of all time, I've lost count of the amount of times I've played through it and it always seems like everytime I do I'll always find at least one cool new thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Still my fav of the franchise and one of the best games I'd ever played. Its one of the few games I immediately stared playing on completion.

I still remember the first time I played it and being gutted at having to choose between keeping Tali's dad's secret and letting her be exiled, or telling the truth so she would be able to come home but have her hate me for doing it. I genuinely had to pause the game to think it over.

so many great moments alike that across the trilogy.

EDIT : also Cerberus Normandy >>>>>>> Alliance Normandy

Nov 8, 2017
Excellent game, my favorite of the trilogy. That's based heavily on the strength of the characters and their quests. It's also such an in-the-moment type experience. There's plenty of silliness to critique about the plot and some of the details, but when you actually go in for that end run on the collector base and you've got the whole cast of characters there, you're actually delegating tasks and feel like a commander, the music is on-point, you're pushing deeper and deeper into the base, all your prep work up to that point pays off, it's just such a great feeling. One of the strongest final acts to a game ever.

The more you put the game under an analytic microscope, the more it starts to fall apart a bit. You could compare it to a JJ Abrams film in that sense, for better and for worse. Plot is subordinate to character interactions and the momentum of the story. A really strong example here is how Shepherd zooms after his crew right at the end. It's very stupid that the game won't let you get any intel or have any kind of plan before you go through, like colossally stupid. But in the moment, you go "oh shit, you aren't making off with MY crew motherfuckers!" and you just go and it feels satisfying to rescue all these people you like. You can tell the develoeprs didn't want to meaningfully plan for the alternative too, because although you can delay the rescue and get your crew killed, you can't actually be prepared beyond just getting your crew loyal and upgrading your guns.

In gameplay terms, it feels sooo much better to play than ME1. It's such a stupidly big upgrade in gamefeel, aiming, the cover system, yadda yadda. People are still mad about the changes to this day, but IMO they mostly cut out systems that were half-assed to begin with. ME3 really struck a nice balance later on, but I'd take ME2 over ME1's gameplay any day of the week.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Start of the downfall of the series. They went for a chest high walls approach to the combat, a huge downgrade from the tactical nature of the first game. It became boring and predictable, "oh look here is some cover, let me guess, some guys will pop out out of nowhere and a gunfight will start". They didn't allow you to combine biotic powers (this is what control became right?), the main quests were all pretty much sidequests, meh. I think this is the worst in the series.

I replayed the first one about 10 times, the 2nd and third just the one with my main character.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Going into this generation, I had this image of what Mass Effect could be like. Just picturing what a nextgen Citadel would be like? Imagine much better realized mini cities in place of small hubs we had and son. It hurts so much that now I know I had already seen the best ten years ago.

The alien designs were very inspiring in this game, much more so than rest of the series and it did really do a lot to expand the universe on top of what first game built. First time seeing Thane, he looked really awesome, I wanted to know more about him. Then you get to know a whole more about geth, your previous enemy and so much more. Mass Effect is like the only series that I had ever bothered reading codex and extra stuff and going through every dialog choice that I can, because I actually cared to know more and how things work in this universe and this game in particular really encouraged me to do that. I never do that elsewhere. I just don't care, games fail to make me care the same way.

The final boss was dumb but otherwise the game still kicks ass and probably one of the best sequels that has ever been made and they did it in just over 2 years.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the only series deserves a full on remake. Truly one of the greatest ever released.
It's shame more studios haven't done anything as ambitious as this ie decisions carrying over.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
10 years already... crazy...

I just really miss the ME2 crew. Most diverse crew with fantastic character building and fantastic loyalty missions that directly influence the success of the Suicide Mission. Really well executed idea by BioWare and such a shame that they threw the crew diversity and character building out of the window with 3 and Andromeda.

Fun fact: My Xbox 360 couldn't handle the hype of Mass Effect 2, so it gave me my 1st RROD in this game. Interrupted my playthrough for half a month or so. haha

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This game is made by its character writing, which may be Bioware at its best. The world building, setting, art is very cool too. The side quests and world interactivity felt like a nice step up from the first. It just completely nails that 80s cybperpunk-esque scifi aesthetic, pivoting nicely from the first game which outside of the Citadel felt like a rehash of KoToR. Though maybe it does go overboard often and comes across as an edgy parody.

Having seen the recent Giant Bomb playthrough though, the combat seems like a monotonous bore and there's an excessive amount of it. I think I had wiped those hours of mindless shooting from memory until watching their playthrough. The DLC in particular has little respect for player's time and just seems to pad out length using long waves of enemies.

Last edited:

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Best Mass Effect game, loved everything about this game, from memorable characters to great music, even planet scannings. Lol.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite of the trilogy. Played miles better than ME1 and the dialogue was less dry. There was more interesting C&C because of the seedier characters you're involved with and I think coming back from the dead set up a good reason as to why Shepard might be unhinged if you were more heroic in ME1. I do miss ME1's scope, but I don't think that makes ME2 worse - it just gives ME1 a reason to be revisited. Also, the art direction was a lot better in ME2 and the towns were more varied.

ME1 had really good C&C too; don't get me wrong. Just in terms of morality it was far more heavy handed.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh Bioware, maybe you'll get back on the horse with this next decade. I hope they can knock it out of the park with the next ME like they did with ME2.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Start of the downfall of the series. They went for a chest high walls approach to the combat, a huge downgrade from the tactical nature of the first game. It became boring and predictable, "oh look here is some cover, let me guess, some guys will pop out out of nowhere and a gunfight will start". They didn't allow you to combine biotic powers (this is what control became right?), the main quests were all pretty much sidequests, meh. I think this is the worst in the series.

I replayed the first one about 10 times, the 2nd and third just the one with my main character.
I completely disagree that combat in the first ME1 was tactical. It was barely even competent.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest role playing games ever made. And absolute proof there's a big difference between having lots of numbers and stats, and actually role playing.

Nov 21, 2017
Happy 10 year anniversary to one of my favorite games of all time. I'm still hoping EA releases a remaster of the entire trilogy.

Nov 8, 2017
I completely disagree that combat in the first ME1 was tactical. It was barely even competent.

ME1 for me was special ability ability alpha strike followed by the worst shooting ever if the enemies survived the initial bombardment. The Mecha Saren boss fight at the end is just a laughable bullet sponge.

ME2's combat really shines when you go onto the 2nd highest difficulty (not insane, which is kind of just too hard) because you end up constantly switching ammo and ability types for various targets based on their defense layers. It's not like the greatest game ever but I it really made the combat click for me.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
10 years...Time flies! The whole trilogy holds a special place for me but 2 was something else and there is yet a game to surpass it imo!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
ME1 for me was special ability ability alpha strike followed by the worst shooting ever if the enemies survived the initial bombardment. The Mecha Saren boss fight at the end is just a laughable bullet sponge.

ME2's combat really shines when you go onto the 2nd highest difficulty (not insane, which is kind of just too hard) because you end up constantly switching ammo and ability types for various targets based on their defense layers. It's not like the greatest game ever but I it really made the combat click for me.
Everything in ME1 from the overheating guns, the weird janky dash to the teammate AI is just so dated these days.

I'm probably in the minority here but if they ever remake ME1 I would absolutely want it to be made more consistent with later games.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019

Wow. That's an insane opinion to me, but good on you for having it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One of the best game sequels of all time and BioWare's best game.

Also, this music still gives me the chills, some of the best loading screen music I've heard:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Neither more polish if your story/quests are uninteresting in my opinion.

Edit: typo
But I mean look at the companions in ME1; they were totally underwritten and hardly important to the thrust of the main narrative itself, outside of a few incidents. The companions in ME2 felt like a much more developed and integral part of the plot, and what's more they took characters like Garrus and made them far more interesting. I didn't enjoy Garrus in ME1, he's my favourite companion in the series after 2.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But I mean look at the companions in ME1; they were totally underwritten and hardly important to the thrust of the main narrative itself, outside of a few incidents. The companions in ME2 felt like a much more developed and integral part of the plot, and what's more they took characters like Garrus and made them far more interesting. I didn't enjoy Garrus in ME1, he's my favourite companion in the series after 2.
I feel like setting the world and the threat was ME1's purpose. Companions, relationships, polish/streamline was the focus on the 2nd. If you like the companion stuff on the 2nd then I could see why you like it, for me it wasn't very good and the overall threat in the 2nd is kind of non existent so I got less invested.

The whole game felt like a huge side quest to me.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Top 2 all time game for me, 10 playthroughs all different in their own respect

never got tired of this game

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I vividly remember fighting the giant Terminator at the end and being very worried about the future of the franchise. Yeah.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Top 3 games of all times

whilst it's main narrative was not as intense as it's predecessor or it's sequel, it's focus on the characters and crew and world building made it second to none.

Great, now I need to replay it

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The best Mass Effect game. One of the last big/long games I've finished in less than 5 sessions too (over a weekend), great times.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Amazing game, best of the series. Arguably one of the greatest sequels ever.