• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Did you catch a series Gametrailer did with the composers of Mass Effect trulogy? That stuff was awesome but I believe it's gone now.
A real shame if it's gone because yeah it really describes how the whole saga was managed on the musical front.
It is absolutely not. Mediocre through and through, and way too long for the content it has to offer.
It's a mediocre game with sporadic moments of greatness.

I will absolutely commend DA:I for its amount of player personalization of your character, their background, beliefs and themes. It doesn't go far enough but it arguably goes farther than Mass Effect ever did, and it may not be as wild as DA:Origins but it's a voiced protagonist with two voices per gender, and ALL OF IT is voiced. There's so much of the lacking content in the game I forgave because I just felt so much like I owned my own character.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
A real shame if it's gone because yeah it really describes how the whole saga was managed on the musical front.

It's a mediocre game with sporadic moments of greatness.

I will absolutely commend DA:I for its amount of player personalization of your character, their background, beliefs and themes. It doesn't go far enough but it arguably goes farther than Mass Effect ever did, and it may not be as wild as DA:Origins but it's a voiced protagonist with two voices per gender, and ALL OF IT is voiced. There's so much of the lacking content in the game I forgave because I just felt so much like I owned my own character.

Yes, I don't disagree, some of those ideas were positive. Mechanically, a lot of their games continued to take steps forward.

But for the things I come to (Came to, now; I don't think they have delivered on these things for a long time) Bioware games for; writing, narrative, worlds with minute and consistent attention to detail, Dragon Age (And ME3) no longer does anything for me.

By the end of the 70+ hours I put into DA:I, I was thoroughly bored and wanted it to be over.

ME2 by comparison, I was wide-eyed and thrilled at where the conclusion was going to go, and couldn't wait to play more. So I proceeded to play it again as a Renegade (And then multiple more times as the years went on).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A remaster of the trilogy - I want to believe, but we've been here before and dreams were crushed.
d6db99d051246ef590f109c1babe683a.gif

I'll never stop pestering EA until it happens.

I know you've blocked my calls, EA! But I have a LOT of stamps left!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Bioware games for; writing, narrative, worlds with minute and consistent attention to detail, Dragon Age (And ME3) no longer does anything for me.
I wish I could say that I look to other franchises and game IP for this but the truth is I don't feel like many of them are delivering either, and when they do it's often in the format of a rigid linearity with zero ways of feeling like I'm a part of that story. The Last of Us tells a good story but it's not a very interactive story, and Witcher 3 is a match made in heaven. We don't get that many of these, so I'm still looking forward to any new BioWare game despite wanting them to do better than they have the last 3 games.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish I could say that I look to other franchises and game IP for this but the truth is I don't feel like many of them are delivering either, and when they do it's often in the format of a rigid linearity with zero ways of feeling like I'm a part of that story. The Last of Us tells a good story but it's not a very interactive story, and Witcher 3 is a match made in heaven. We don't get that many of these, so I'm still looking forward to any new BioWare game despite wanting them to do better than they have the last 3 games.
While they're not 100% equivalent, I was happy to have games like The Outer Worlds scratch my sci-fi RPG itch, and Greedfall was the most Bioware-y product I've experience since Dragon Age: Origins. I give both recommendations.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'd give my left nut for a proper Mass Effect title.

Or a proper remaster/remake for that matter

Last edited:

Hawkeye 131

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I wonder how close we are to an official announcement

Honestly, after Andromeda and Anthem I think it's abundantly clear BioWare has some massive problematic and systemic development and leadership issues. Whether it was a lack of time, money and resources, poor planning or sheer incompetence, ignorance or ineptitude it's pretty clear BioWare (especially after Anthem, maybe going as far back as DA2) need to take a long, hard collective look in the mirror and sort things out no matter how unpleasant or uncomfortable it may be.

There are reasons why Andromeda and Anthem ended up the way they did, and I would be FAR more concerned with correcting and resolving the issues that led to those games being in their respective states at launch than worrying about what to do next. When you have employees crying at their desks and taking stress leave for extended periods of time because the development and crunch to finish the game is so brutal and difficult you've got far larger issues going on.

I wouldn't mind a next-generation Mass Effect game however, I wouldn't lose any sleep if the franchise was gone for good. More than anything I'd love to see BioWare make a great game without killing themselves in the process.

Lastly, from what I understand they're focused on Dragon Age 4 (never got into it myself, but hope it turns out well), so another Mass Effect game is likely years away at this point.

If they are going to do it, than do it right. The series and the fans deserve it.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, after Andromeda and Anthem I think it's abundantly clear BioWare has some massive problematic and systemic development and leadership issues. Whether it was a lack of time, money and resources, poor planning or sheer incompetence, ignorance or ineptitude it's pretty clear BioWare (especially after Anthem, maybe going as far back as DA2) need to take a long, hard collective look in the mirror and sort things out no matter how unpleasant or uncomfortable it may be.

There are reasons why Andromeda and Anthem ended up the way they did, and I would be FAR more concerned with correcting and resolving the issues that led to those games being in their respective states at launch than worrying about what to do next. When you have employees crying at their desks and taking stress leave for extended periods of time because the development and crunch to finish the game is so brutal and difficult you've got far larger issues going on.

I wouldn't mind a next-generation Mass Effect game however, I wouldn't lose any sleep if the franchise was gone for good. More than anything I'd love to see BioWare make a great game without killing themselves in the process.

Lastly, from what I understand they're focused on Dragon Age 4 (never got into it myself, but hope it turns out well), so another Mass Effect game is likely years away at this point.

If they are going to do it, than do it right. The series and the fans deserve it.

I meant the remaster. New ME game wont come out anytime soon if ever

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Incredible game. In my top 20 of all time. Here's hoping for something of a similar theme and quality bar sometime in the near future.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
By far my favorite of the Mass Effects. I played it so much and had such a blast. Too bad 3 shat the bed and then Andromada decided to fling it all around the house.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
An ME1 remake honestly has me worried. I'm afraid they'll change everything that makes the first one so great (despite the flaws). I don't want them to change the identity of the game.

It'll mostly be a technical remake, I imagine. Voice performances, music, cutscenes, level design, planets, story will likely remain the same. What will be changed is lighting, textures, animations, meshes, and maybe even the combat. This is guess work of course.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It'll mostly be a technical remake, I imagine. Voice performances, music, cutscenes, level design, planets, story will likely remain the same. What will be changed is lighting, textures, animations, meshes, and maybe even the combat. This is guess work of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if the the combat and animations remained largely the same. If such a hypothetical remaster exists, combing over three entire games that are each loaded with content and attempting to overhaul them seems like...a hefty task. Remasters aren't cheap or easy and this would be literally three games worth. Mass Effect 1 would always be the outlier, so like you suggested I'd expect asset and engine improvements, but I also expect the base game to be more or less identical with exception of maybe, maybe some QOL touches here and there.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably asking too much for a remaster but I'd love to see the combat in 1 changed so it is more like 2/3. Probably would mean a lot of work though because it'd mean changes to the controls, powers, weapons, AI, level design etc.

Oct 31, 2019