• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the story was okay. Some good and some meh. And some of the writing was bad (but an overall "bad writing" charge aimed at the entire game wouldn't be accurate imo). But I can never understand how much shit the characters get. Let's not forget most of the trilogy characters had 2-3 game arcs, not just one. Peebee grew on me. Drack may be the best ME Krogan (which is saying something), Jaal is pretty interesting once you get past his species' questionable design, and Vetra/Cora were fine. Only Liam kind of sucked, following the tradition of Kaidan and Jacob before him as the "shitty human male starting crew member". All the loyalty quests were solid (except for the 12 step processes of bullshit to get a couple of them to trigger).
The characters in Andromeda were better to me than the husks from the first game. Part of that might be due to just how much our expectations have changed after ME2 and 3 (especially seeing those characters develop in the next two games) but I do agree with you on that.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not great, but it's decent. I didn't feel like I wasted my time playing it. It's waaaay better than ME3 as far as I'm concerned. The characters in Andromeda are not great by they are miles better than new characters that they introduced in ME3.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
mass_effect_andromeda_guide_19.png

The villain has a basketball hoop on his head.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda Is Actually Really Bad. It legitimately might be the most disappointing, underwhelming video game I've ever played. As a massive ME fan for many years it's just a colossal disappointment on every level. The story is terrible, generic, and forgettable, the characters are mostly lame and lack the spark that the OT characters had, Ryder isn't anywhere near as fun to play as Shepard, and the gameplay is just garbage, a cheap attempt at copying the open world RPG fad that fails in every way.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay is great. Everything else? Mediocre as hell. Eos is one of the worst open world planets ever made.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
My wife loves it but she has never played a previous mass effect. I'm guessing thats a pretty big contributing factor.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
ME: Andromeda has the best gunplay of the series, but marred by a weak team, lots of busywork (scan that, and that, radiation alert, and that and that....oh god SAM shut up) weak story, samey enemies, boring fetch quests...

While they mostly fixed the terrible launch animations, they still rear their ugly head from time to time. I remember a few cutscenes that where absolutely laughable, and that was post-patch.

And i still find funny to this day that your job is to trek uncharted territory, but
every f*cking planet you land is or has been colonized by others.

A more self-aware game would have made this fact the centerpiece of the story.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Moreover, the game was designed that way because that was the restriction :/

Yeah. I can see that.

Escalating the war so quickly really tied their hands with what they could do. More than the ending, I find this to be the most objectionable thing about the game TBH.

Out of necessity this re-contextualized the Reapers from being a near god-like beings to just another enemy force. This caused a snowball effect that flattened what the overall story could be. Combined with their pathological obsession with closure, this made for a very odd story experience.

Still, I like it better than ME2's overall narrative. ME1 is still the best of the lot though.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah. I can see that.

Escalating the war so quickly really tied their hands with what they could do. More than the ending, I find this to be the most objectionable thing about the game TBH.

Out of necessity this re-contextualized the Reapers from being a near god-like beings to just another enemy force. This caused a snowball effect that flattened what the overall story could be. Combined with their pathological obsession with closure, this made for a very odd story experience.

Still, I like it better than ME2's overall narrative. ME1 is still the best of the lot though.
After my most recent playthrough of the trilogy I actually contemplated writing a retrospective and on my notes for ME3 I literally wrote "Everything has been appropriated for WAR" and it's no lie, because if you listen to interviews with the staff they constantly talk about how they used WWII movies as reference for it and at E3 they marketed it as "Full scale, galactic war!"

Oct 27, 2017
I will bear this responsibility. Come back to this thread and call me a filthy shill if you don't have fun! I stand by everything I said, so if I made it sound appealing, I believe you'll have a great time with it. I'm still having a blast, and am only getting drawn deeper into the story - despite how much hate it's getting from so many others.
Reporting back. Only 2hrs in, but I'm enjoying it already.
Latest patch installed, and it looks fantastic on Ps4 Pro. Can't wait to jump back in tonight... So far, so good.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay is the best in the series, but the story is kind of weak.

Granted, I've only got 5-6 hours into it, but I just decided to wait cause of the messy launch. I'll come back to it eventually though. I believe it's fixed now, right?

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Wait until you got 30-40 hours in and you have done the same go to planet X do some shit. Rinse and repeat. Even heavily modded I couldn't finish the game.

Here is a great critique

moonknight93

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Gameplay is the best in the series

I disagree. In terms of gunplay isn't so different from Mass Effect 3, expect it has less precise movement, an autocover system takens straight from Mass Effect 1 that is not as effective as cover from input, you can't micro manage your companions, the dialogue system is even worse than 3 (and dialogues in an RPG are part of gameplay), the character progression is broken.

moonknight93

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
After my most recent playthrough of the trilogy I actually contemplated writing a retrospective and on my notes for ME3 I literally wrote "Everything has been appropriated for WAR" and it's no lie, because if you listen to interviews with the staff they constantly talk about how they used WWII movies as reference for it and at E3 they marketed it as "Full scale, galactic war!"

https://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

This is a great analysis of the entirety of Mass Effect trilogy, maybe it can inspire you.

Oct 25, 2017
Like OP, I finally jumped in a couple of weeks ago after hearing the patches really helped things along
I am enjoying myself, but I really have lowered my expectations. The story and dialogue I just can't get into the same way I did the original trilogy
The combat has been fun for the most part, but the cover system is a bit frustrating. And just some of the comfort of life little things didn't get polished like the inventory management.

Anyways, still liking it, had they gotten another 9 months or maybe just had more resources, this could have really been something

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
The dislike for Andromeda is mostly memetic, but it does fall short in several areas. One is the depth of the characters. I just never really cared about the team. I have a high tolerance for janky video game animation because it's video game animation. I accept limitations and think that there SHOULD BE limitations. Striving for Hollywood blockbuster-level polish is why game budgets have spiraled out of control and it's why we are in this Games as a Service mess now. The market has driven expectation up and it doesn't want to lie in the bed that it has made for itself.

I do want to jump back in, though. The combat gameplay is fantastic.

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
I prefer ME3 and ME2 so far. ME1 I find problematic and this game (Andromeda) so far has yet to fully grab me.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I prefer ME3 and ME2 so far. ME1 I find problematic and this game (Andromeda) so far has yet to fully grab me.
I love Bioware games. (I have almost 1000 hrs into DA:I)

Pretty much every game has some flaw in it. They (Bioware) tend to adapt to criticism for good or ill. Some flaws seem to be driven from issues with schedule.

For me, I found Andromeda to be a fine game, but the story doesn't have the urgency that the other Mass Effects have. Did n't stop me from finishing it twice (I am on my 3rd playthrough, but haven't touched it for a bit.) But it didn't have the "kick" that the other games had.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is a great analysis of the entirety of Mass Effect trilogy, maybe it can inspire you.
I was actually reading the start of this myself when doing some research, just last week. Granted, I do have very strong opinions and thoughts on the series myself, a lot of it based on known facts and not assumptions, but it'll probably help knowing I'm not writing something that's not already been said. Hey, I may get into Youtubing over this idea lol.

Pretty much every game has some flaw in it. They (Bioware) tend to adapt to criticism for good or ill. Some flaws seem to be driven from issues with schedule.

For me, I found Andromeda to be a fine game, but the story doesn't have the urgency that the other Mass Effects have. Did n't stop me from finishing it twice (I am on my 3rd playthrough, but haven't touched it for a bit.) But it didn't have the "kick" that the other games had.
They always seem to adress the biggest criticism at face value whilist taking two steps backwards. It's like "Boo, the Mako handled poorly, those planets were too empty." and the response was "here's a game WITHOUT the Mako! Way more linear, less sense of space, yay!" and then people were like "Boo, Shepard feels like a static brick! He has no character arc!" and the response was "Hey, here is Shepard WITH 100% LESS INTERACTIVE CONVERSATION." It's pretty frustrating to be a BioWare fan when they keep disappointing your expectations like that, but I guess you gotta cut somewhere to meet demand. For what it's worth, I considered DA2 and DA:I to be on the same level with DA2 offering an interesting, focused narrative with good reactivity and Inquisition offering lots of choice and customization in a much more generic plot. Once again, they did actually do exactly what people asked for but it just came with another load of downsides.

All that said, I have 4 playthroughs of DA:I under my belt myself and that's a testament to how much replayability is in there thanks to the depth of roleplaying as multiple different kinds of protagonists. 4 voices was also insane and I will always commend BioWare for pulling that off considering how many dialogue choices that game has, all fully voiced.

Last edited:

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018

True, but some flaws make some games difficult to bear like the voice acting issues I mentioned about Jade Empire. I know that it was intentional (like a kung fu flick dub) but the execution was terrible imo. I also like Dragon Age Inquisition a lot, though I haven't finished it due to the crappy MMO like things they forced in it. ME:A also has those crappy mmo things but unlike Andromeda it has fewer other things I enjoy.

You are right that many Bioware games have flaws but unlike ME3 in which the game was mostly spectacular (for me anyway) until the last 15 minutes, Andromeda seems to have serious issues woven into the very fabric of it's being.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

You should definitely write that retrospective up.

And yeah, you are on the money. I myself would have preferred a story about the potential for the end of the universe not being this apocalyptic. Mass Effect 1 is STILL the only time where the galaxy felt like a real place.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
If we want to talk about Mass Effect games that got an unfair shake, lets talk about Mass Effect 3.

Up until the ending, that game is better than Mass Effect 1 and 2, and even WITH the ending considered it is on par.

Yup. With all DLC Mass Effect 3 is the best, though ME2 is close.

ME1 remains the worst to me. World building and a good final act buoy it, but we're still looking at a very stilted cast of characters whose dialogues mainly exist to exposit novel lore info, boring sub-arcs before reaching Virmire, terrible terrible combat and inventory issues, a character progression system that looks complex but fails to interest in the way ME3's power upgrades do, and side worlds that would make Inquisition's cut-and-paste quests blush.

Not to mention the Mako.

Andromeda is better than Mass Effect 1, but only insofar as it updated the combat and at least kinda tried with its vehicle and open worlds. I still find a clear division between the intro/final act and the rest of the story in terms of polish: it has a very strong finish that feels confident in a way none of its world stories do. That Mac Walters made sure this felt good at the expense of everything else when he came in due to lack of time is evident. The characters are the biggest disappointment and feel too safe, though I did still like them (just didn't love, like the trilogy). BioWare is also a developer known for its twists in the plot and the main story is pretty remarkably safe as well.

I agree with the expressed sentiment that it's good but not great. It feels like a game hamstrung by BioWare wanting to take chances with the development and having those risks explode in their face, leading to a stitched-together "let's make it feel like a BW game at least" final product.

But...just to end on a good note, that combat really is spectacular.

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
Mass Effect Andromeda Is Actually Really Bad. It legitimately might be the most disappointing, underwhelming video game I've ever played. As a massive ME fan for many years it's just a colossal disappointment on every level. The story is terrible, generic, and forgettable, the characters are mostly lame and lack the spark that the OT characters had, Ryder isn't anywhere near as fun to play as Shepard, and the gameplay is just garbage, a cheap attempt at copying the open world RPG fad that fails in every way.

I came here to say this basically, as I played through the game recently but couldn't push myself to finish it at the end. It's a very, very, very boring mess.

Questionable gameplay choices aside, the worst thing about it for me is just how unimaginative it is: you're in a different galaxy with different species that act and even speak like pretty much every other species from the Milky Way, only with a slightly different accent. They made an attempt at new cultures but were unable to fully develop or write anything meaningful about them, unlike the lore and culture of the Krogan, Asari, Salarians and Turians. That was a big thing in the original trilogy, especially ME1 where everything was new and had to be introduced. The alien cultures were very unique and getting to know them was quite interesting; here they are just generic. I'd rather not even get into the actual character-to-character interactions and dialogues because they are just unbearable and I'm pretty sure that's not due to animations or anything visual, just incredibly bad writing.

The general story of Mass Effect was never groundbreaking or out of the ordinary (even if nicely written and presented in the first games), but in Andromeda it's just boring cliché: The bad guys are harvesting other species for genetic experiments... hmm, I think I've heard that story before. Oh, they're doing it because they believe they are superior and there's a kind of a cult/religious mentality. Also, there's ~ancient technology~ that's been lost to time but surprisingly solves everyone's problems once you (and only you in literal millennia) learn how to use it. The sights and locations, while pretty, get repetitive and can be reduced to: (mini) forest world, ice world, desert world(s), a space station where the "good guys" live and a underworld hub for criminals. How many times have we seen that again?

Squandered potential, the game.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
lolololol!!!!!! i love yall.

i swear, there are only so many thread titles in the world that could make me roll my eyes back as hard as I did when I read this. OP, no. Just no. As an absolute diehard fan of ME1, ME2 and ME3 (up until to space fetus)...no. Andromeda is a goddamned mess. Just so...lifeless and boring? Inquisition was afflicted with the same.

Or you could be less of an edgelord and stop taking the weight out of his thoughts regarding Andromeda. Having finished the OT about 13 times, I found the newest one average, still won't make me be a dick about it.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
- The combat mechanics have some potential, but I think it goes mostly unrealized, due to weak level/encounter design and lack of variety.
- The writing is very mediocre overall. A few quest-lines manage to rise to the baseline level of past BioWare games, but a lot of it is pretty bad, and I can't think of anything that was exceptional. The basic premise has potential, but it's largely wasted by the main plot. (Let's go to a new galaxy! It will be the same as the old galaxy, with a few new alien species.)
- The quest design, the checklist of stuff to do on each world, is mostly really boring filler.
- I'll admit that some of the environments are really nice looking.

And that's all just stuff that's inherent to the design of the game, setting aside the quality issues the game had at launch.

OP
OP
Aske

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Reporting back. Only 2hrs in, but I'm enjoying it already.
Latest patch installed, and it looks fantastic on Ps4 Pro. Can't wait to jump back in tonight... So far, so good.

Fantastic! Glad it's started strong, and I hope it draws you in as much as it has me. I'm still enjoying everything about it.

Good to see the freaky face gif pop up to remind me why I waited so long to play this. Thankfully, not one face looks like that after the patches (1.10). Faces lack ME's trademark detail, but they don't look like horrifying masks.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I thought that Mass Effect Andromeda was OK at best. It had some decent characters, good game play, and memorable character moments. The overall story was lacking in a huge way (the most interesting plot threads do not pay off at the end and the game effectively has no 2nd act), the polish was non-existent, the character create was a nightmare, and it felt like none of the decisions that I made in the game mattered on any level other than who my romance interest was going to be. I wrote a long and involved blog post where I detail the good, the ok, and the bad of Mass Effect Andromeda in more detailed review. Give it a look see for a more in-depth and mostly major spoiler free discussion on my feelings about MEA.
http://nerfedllamas.com/mass-effect-andromeda-nerfed-llamas-review-masseffect/

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its not the worst game if you only take the shooting mechanics into account. Tedious, unnecessary open world design, awful dialog and an uninteresting story. This game just coasts on the name alone and takes it straight to VHS. Too bad the monumental hate this game gets will only award it an "underated" status in the future, just like Resident Evil 6 got.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yup. With all DLC Mass Effect 3 is the best, though ME2 is close.
I went through 95% of this game feeling very alienated and dissatisfied despite the graphical enhancements and improved combat. You can't holster, there's no sense of exploration in levels and all levels start by dropping you into a linear series of shooty bang bang with "WAR" as the backdrop. I think ME3 impressed me in one big area: The depiction of impending doom and the unfathomableness of the Reapers (before the ending that is). I was actually kinda ok with Harbinger not being there to trash talk you and the sense of darkness in the game was legit, but perhaps also a bit inconsistent with earlier games which isn't a good thing IMO. If improvement means completely abandoning the style and direction you previously stuck with, in a trilogy no less (note, Trilogy isn't the same as "it's 3 games", it's a descriptor to say that all 3 games share a common premise) it probably wasn't the way to go but they did it anyway, and EA probably forced them to incorporate more combat-heaviness for marketing as well as the gun-modification system because that was also just in Dead Space 3 at that time.

In fact, looking at those games I definitely get the impression that for all BioWare's failures (to me anyway) with ME3 it was just as much a game that just got EA'd into hell.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I went through 95% of this game feeling very alienated and dissatisfied despite the graphical enhancements and improved combat. You can't holster, there's no sense of exploration in levels and all levels start by dropping you into a linear series of shooty bang bang with "WAR" as the backdrop. I think ME3 impressed me in one big area: The depiction of impending doom and the unfathomableness of the Reapers (before the ending that is). I was actually kinda ok with Harbinger not being there to trash talk you and the sense of darkness in the game was legit, but perhaps also a bit inconsistent with earlier games which isn't a good thing IMO. If improvement means completely abandoning the style and direction you previously stuck with, in a trilogy no less (note, Trilogy isn't the same as "it's 3 games", it's a descriptor to say that all 3 games share a common premise) it probably wasn't the way to go but they did it anyway, and EA probably forced them to incorporate more combat-heaviness for marketing as well as the gun-modification system because that was also just in Dead Space 3 at that time.

In fact, looking at those games I definitely get the impression that for all BioWare's failures (to me anyway) with ME3 it was just as much a game that just got EA'd into hell.

I think most of your issues also apply to Mass Effect 2, as that was perhaps more of a premise-shift from ME1 than 3 was coming from 2. And in that sense you can perhaps indeed see a shift towards more current-BioWare; streamlining, more action focus, edgier art/tone, etc. I just happen to like it more than what ME1 did.

I started the series with 2 then went back to 1 (PS3, so 1 wasn't available at the time 2 released) so there are some things that will have always felt like Mass Effect to me, despite things in 1 being different. The art shift is a big one. As far as I'm concerned, 2 and 3 largely share the same aesthetics and art style, with 1 being the more retro 70s sci-fi look. In which case, the breather helmet from ME2/3 is as much an iconic part of Mass Effect as anything.

screenshot-079-o.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think most of your issues also apply to Mass Effect 2, as that was perhaps more of a premise-shift from ME1 than 3
Sure, ME2 and ME3 feel more similar to each other than ME1 to ME2 or ME3 does, as far as game-design is concerned IMO. However, I found there to be not only a shift in subtle design-changes in 3 such as the massive increase in autodialogue and loss of player agency but also the style of the writing or maybe just the quality of it. ME2's dialogue felt like something out of a good professional screenplay. ME3 had moments that really felt like fanfiction to me and otherwise just characters suddenly not being truthful to how they used to be portrayed (Udina is a big one, Illusive Man too, even Samara does something I couldn't believe) it just made me groan constantly and somehow ME2 despite its floundering main plot had me invested and fully immersed in the world and how believable it was. It also kept characters except maybe Liara feeling very consistent to how they were written in the first game.

But yes, game-design, focus of gameplay etc. that all started shifting big time from 1 to 2, although they actually increased flexibility and reactivity of dialogue options in 2. 1 had 50% of the dialogue wheels make Shepard say the same no matter what you pick. In 2 they slightly reduced the number of choices but made almost all of them unique and then had interrupts on top of it not to mention the whole Suicide Mission being as good as it was. (I know people dissent, it was great in my book).

3 felt like it was almost just a shooter with cutscenes and terribly crude hub-world exploration on the Citadel. Seriously, if you thought ME1 was too boring at times, I don't know how anyone can say the Citadel in 3 was better. Nothing you do there is the least bit of fun due to the lack of interaction with NPCs. It's all just Shepard talking over comms the entire time on autopilot and really vague objectives that glitch out half the time, and the cameos of ME2 characters in sidequests felt like a slap to the face in how quickly they appear only to get killed off or say "hi" and then leave afterwards.

OP
OP
Aske

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
100% viability on Eos and Havarl, and I'm still having absurd amounts of fun with the game. Rocking the PAW assault rifle that shoots a focused blast of laser energy, plus Singularity, Charge, and Nova. The three biotics in that order are a vicious combo. Last night I fought a gigantic, beautifully designed revenant boss on Eos, and took out the kett power station. Performing a biotic combo with Charge on an opponent in midair, then slamming down with a Nova never gets old. Going to put a couple of points into Tech and Combat to unlock biotic blink.

I get why people aren't into this if they massively preferred ME2 and 3 over ME1, but as a huge fan of the first game, this is the direction I wanted things to go. Still loving Ryder, still enjoying the story, and I even genuinely enjoyed all the fetch quests on Eos. The drone finding was the only one without any compelling story to go with it. But searching kett camps for remnant artifacts and listening posts was awesome, and so was figuring out the map in order to plant the dead engineer's survey beacons.

I'm not trying to sway anyone who's played the game, or ram my opinions down anyone's throat. I'm a fan of the franchise who is genuinely having a ton of fun with a game I didn't think I'd ever bother to play, and I want others who skipped Andromeda to know it might be worth their while to check it out after all.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The viability. scores are in a weird place, game design-wise. When I started out, I figured it would require actually doing 100% of the content on the planet but it turns out just following the critical path and a handful of sidequests gets you over the threshold rather easily. Not sure if the narrative pay-off is worth it but if you're enjoying the mechanics, go for it!

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andromeda is bad from almost every perspective. You enjoying it doesn't make it good.

The game needed atleast 2 more years in the oven.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep on re-installing Andromeda, each time thinking, it can't be as bad as I thought... and indeed for the first fifteen minutes or so the game provides me with that third person shooter fix that I craved going in.

But then the game just becomes tedious - there's so much to do, and yet I don't want to do any of it. This game feels like a Mass Effect knock off rather than an actual Mass Effect game.

And then there's the story. Granted... this is my third re-install, and I've been away from the game for many months... but I haven't got a clue as to what's happening.

I'm not even sure what the hell I'm doing out here in space? Colonizing - but we need to deal with 'the bad guys' first... is that it? Blah. It's a real shame too, because as third person shooters the first three games were seriously addictive.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's a great game. At least a solid 7, probably an 8. It has significant issues, and it's definitely the least impressive game in the series, but it's still a really good game that I got a very enjoyable 70 hours out of.

It's a shame the story won't be continued. Most of the narrative's strengths lay in what it was setting up for the future, and now there isn't going to be a future, which is really disappointing...

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten and enjoyed all four Mass Effect games. Mass Effect Andromeda isn't nearly as bad as the media made it out to be, and I played it launch day I believe.

Having said that it has the weakest story of the series. I do appreciate the Mass Effect 1 style of gameplay, but the story and some of the characters didn't really jive with me like the first 3 games did. I would give Mass Effect Andromeda a 7/10 if I had to rate it.
Isn't that what "the media" gave it?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a great game. Passable at best, but "great"? That's insane. It's a reskin of Dragon Age Inquisition without even that game's half-assed character work to keep you at least interested in the people involved, if not the events. One new alien race that is just a collection of well-worn warrior alien tropes, nothing to explore unless you like playing "uncover the barren map", 90% of the content is contextless fetch quests, many of those fetch quests are collecting items that randomly spawn at unpredictable locations and can glitch into never spawning at all. The combat is better than Inquisition's, but otherwise it's practically a mod with the base building stripped out. It astounds me that people defend this crap.

It's not worthy of the Mass Effect name in any way. The premise isn't bad, but nothing is done with it, since the entire game's story (what there is of it) is just a big Act 1 setup for other sequels that will never be made. This "the whole game is Act 1" thing is hardly exclusive to ME:A, it's a problem more and more AAA games seem to suffer from, but there's even less meat on this bone than usual. I don't hate the game but it's a disappointment in every respect and it's just a shame this is what ended up happening to the greatest new franchise of the previous gen.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's a great game. At least a solid 7, probably an 8. It has significant issues, and it's definitely the least impressive game in the series, but it's still a really good game that I got a very enjoyable 70 hours out of.

It's a shame the story won't be continued. Most of the narrative's strengths lay in what it was setting up for the future, and now there isn't going to be a future, which is really disappointing...

Agreed. I think the game received enough shit for 3 games. I view ME:A kinda like Dragon's Dogma, both games have some warts and flaws for sure but I loved both of them. I'm not sure if they will completely scrap that story, it all depends on what Casey thinks of course but I can see it going either way. I think there are some good things from ME:A to build on (the combat for sure which is fantastic) for the next Mass Effect game but I can also see them completely scrapping everything and starting fresh. We shall see what happens but there is no way Mass Effect is going away...

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely Bioware, as we speak, is doing everything in its power to make sure Anthem 'feels' nothing like Andromeda. We've made it clear, haven't we - we don't want a single player game that feels like an MMO.

I remember this one time an acquaintance of mine brought a friend to my house, and I made lunch for them. The friend of the friend was a professional chef, and I was incredibly nervous cooking for him. I asked him how he liked his chilli, and he said to me: I like it the way you like it.

I feel lately that Bioware, instead of creating games that they want to play, are trying to check boxes and make games that they think we want to play. I think that that's largely wrong. They should stop trying to please us, and just be gamers and try to please themselves.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
It was okay at best. The main characters were horrible, there was a lot of unnecessary grinding, and it felt less focused than the previous titles. And despite being open world, the planets were really boring. It did have some good points to it, but its easily the worst in the franchise.

Chuchubabe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah , its bad game and full of bugs, every time i played it some weird bug hapened, it was rushed, had lame characters and a lame story.