• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017

Still hurts to see how the game ultimately turned out. Giving the project to the B-team was quite literally a fatal mistake for Mass Effect as a series.

Maybe, just maybe we will see a reboot or a proper sequel sometime in the 2020's, assuming BioWare is still around.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Botched planning and rushed publishing sealed it's buggy, sub par fate. Still shocked at EA letting it slip.

By the way, Andromeda is still a solid sci fi RPG for anyone interested, just not the best Mass Effect. It's always going on sale, including now on PSN.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
It's the greatest disappointment of the generation for me. Mass Effect 1 is in my top 5 games of all time. I have my issues with all of the games in the OT, but overall, I loved them to pieces. Andromeda was a kick in the teeth to all Mass Effect fans. At this point, all I want is a proper remastered trilogy. If they must do more Andromeda, I hope they reboot it as if the first one didn't happen.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Mass Effect: Andromeda undeservedly IMO ate enough shit for three games. The game has it's flaws and warts for sure but I really enjoyed it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I enjoyed it for what it was. Definitely wasn't as bad as I imagined after a lot of the negativity surrounding some of the oddities around the game.
While some of it may have been unwarranted. I still understood the reasoning. Some of the glitches were funny and at the end of the day everyone
was expecting a lot more for the first ME title on this gen. Regardless of that, I think it's worth the 20 or cheaper it can be found for now if you're a fan of ME.
It doesn't take long to beat and the combat is fun (Even if a few things were taken away). Didn't mind the characters either. They might not reach the highs of
ME2. But it could've been far worse. The biggest complaint would be the story itself. You just don't get very invested in the initiative that is taking place. It really feels
like a Straight-to-DVD story or something that'd be a TV show which doesn't really affect the main line of a bigger series of film. Which I guess in some ways sort of sits at
how many view the game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
did it get patched enough to at least remove the bugs? its on sale for 20€ on EU psn

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the team was to blame. Not management. Nope.

I mean, they are both to blame: https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

did it get patched enough to at least remove the bugs? its on sale for 20€ on EU psn

Yeah, it did. Replayed it on the Xbox One X to finish the last few achievements and had no issues whatsoever compared to the launch issues.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Another case of internet overreaction killing a series with a lot of potential. The main part of the game, the actual gameplay was great, and the story had some neat moments. It was a pretty decent game that could have been great if given a little more time. The sequel wouldve been great just like how ME2 improved upon nearly everything in ME1.

But nope, we must mock and take a giant dump on every game with bugs nowadays.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What i find almost fascinating about this game is that despite being mediocre at best and completely terrible at worst as well as killing the franchise, it surprisingly has a really huge defense force.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Going to pick it up in the sale I think. I actually hear more good things then bad from people who have actually played it recently.

No idea when I will get around to it though.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly regret the 86 hours I spent playing the campaign. My love for the series was so strong I thought that the game *had* to get good at some point - to me, it never did. Some of the worst quest design I've encountered in a modern game. I can't help but feel soured on the whole IP afterwards. I didn't hate it, overall I thought it was mediocre, but it was one of my most anticipated games of all time, and in turn has become one of my biggest disappointments.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
B-team? Based on what I was playing it was more like a D-team.

No joke, I think it technically was the C-team. Wasn't their B-team working on a new Dragon Age at the time, with the A-team on Anthem?

Anyway, I never beat Andromeda. I think I put like 5-6 hours into. And the Mass Effect series is probably one of my favorite game series of all time. Andromeda had unlimited potential.....ugh.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I think about Andromeda and I get depressed. It's not a game I hate at all. It's a game with stuff I like. But the project as a whole was so grotesquely mismanaged and incoherent in vision that the final work is just so depressingly unambitious for its potential, scattered in quality of content, and far from the mark of promise and delivery that its three successors had set the standard for.

I don't think it's a terrible game at all. But it's so wholly and bizarrely safe and unremarkable, and unfocused in production and vision, that it was a deathblow to a franchise I otherwise adore. And it just makes me so sad that one Andromeda itself didn't meet the potential it could have been, and BioWare failed to truly bring the series into a new generation with equal predecessor quality, and two that failure has essentially robbed the entire franchise of a future.

For all its highs and lows, Mass Effect as a franchise was one I was overwhelmingly eager to continue investing in. For Andromeda to be as dull and unremarkable as it was is the greatest shame.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
My biggest disappointment of 2017. I even subscribed to EA Access to play early. Man, what a shame..

Spinx

Oct 27, 2017
raining_david_tennant.gif

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Another case of internet overreaction killing a series with a lot of potential. The main part of the game, the actual gameplay was great, and the story had some neat moments. It was a pretty decent game that could have been great if given a little more time. The sequel wouldve been great just like how ME2 improved upon nearly everything in ME1.

The project is known to have been mismanaged and the end result showed that completely. Of course fans weren't going to be excited about a sub par game, and critics weren't either. Launching in that beta state wasn't going to earn much admiration from early buyers either. It certainly didn't from me.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't it sell really well tho? Like it was in the top ten best selling games of the year for most of the year (didn't finish out that way, but still).

I just beat it last month and liked it a lot.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the series is dead and it was always planned to be shelved to work on Anthem no matter if it was good or bad.

I am still salty about the lack of DLC so much so I refuse to buy Anthem. The next EA game I will buy is the next Dragon Age.

I will get the book just to see what will happen to the Quarians.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

Honestly the bugs and glitches didn't bother me at all. I thought the core gameplay was pretty good, though no better than ME3, and not something that I would praise as a standout feature of the game. My issues with the game are not the types of things that could've been easily fixed with a bit more development time.

Mass Effect was an amazingly created new IP, with a great story and characters. ME2 took that and added excellent gameplay and improved on the writing and characters. I don't think Andromeda has a great story or great characters. Perhaps a sequel would be able to fix the poor quest design, and make improvements the characters and story - but regardless of how great it is, right now I have no desire to play any game that continues the story of ME:A.

onkelsander

Oct 29, 2017
Guess im in the minority here, but I really liked it.... More than ME1, but I rate it behind 2 and 3......

J3wB0y_072

Feb 18, 2018
I didn't care about the bugs of the facial animation. Several games I loved didn't even had facial animation to begin with, like Final Fantasy VI. The main problem IMO was the garbage writing. The Mass Effect trilogy had some of the best writing in the medium.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was okay, but that's disappointing in a series as good as ME. I thought the dynamics on the ship were much better than previous Mass Effects. I liked the Angara and the the story behind the Kett, but most of the stuff wasn't really bad, just okay.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The biggest game disaster I've experienced. From the lack of marketing and what was actually shown, it was clear to me from early on that the game was in truoble, but I could never expect such a failure. Certainly not something that would kill the franchise.

I wonder if we will ever see a new Mass Effect...

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I think about Andromeda and I get depressed. It's not a game I hate at all. It's a game with stuff I like. But the project as a whole was so grotesquely mismanaged and incoherent in vision that the final work is just so depressingly unambitious for its potential, scattered in quality of content, and far from the mark of promise and delivery that its three successors had set the standard for.

Andromeda is interesting. The whole time I played it I couldn't decide how much I liked or disliked it. For every good point there was a bad counterpoint, but like Deus Ex 2, the core gameplay loop exists just well enough to be enjoyable even if it lacks that higher level of quality.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
No joke, I think it technically was the C-team. Wasn't their B-team working on a new Dragon Age at the time, with the A-team on Anthem?

Anyway, I never beat Andromeda. I think I put like 5-6 hours into. And the Mass Effect series is probably one of my favorite game series of all time. Andromeda had unlimited potential.....ugh.
I don't normally care, if I don't like some game, but I hold Mass Effect (1-3) in very high regard and it's one of my favorite game series as well, so if I have to say that I really hate some game, it's Mess Effect: Andromeda.

I still think that this video is on point:

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finished this last week after buying it in a sale, really, really enjoyed it but it probably helped that I went in with muted expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.