• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Caught between BotW and Horizon, getting ready for Persona 5, this game with the reception it got was effectively invisible for me.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
second question. Is it mostly stand alone? I actually never played 3.
The Andromeda mission left the Milky Way before ME3 happened, so there's not much connection there. A few references, but not really important

I wouldn't really call it "stand alone" though.. more like "fall down alone"

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Worst game I have put the most time into. Up until the very end I hoped that it'll justify the hours I've invested to me. It didn't.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to the abysmal UI, the narrative and storytelling itself were aggressively mediocre.

Of course, past installments had problems (3's conclusion, the issues with 2's direction in respect to the overall arc), but each crafted interesting (+new) characters and stories. The same can't be said for Andromeda whatsoever. Even the dialogue references to the trilogy came across as poor attempts at fan-service.

Once again, Andromeda serves an important lesson in poor leadership and mismanagement. Its fairly common in all the entertainment industries, but this one stings really bad.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
A rather enjoyable game despite its many flaws. The best combat the franchise has ever seen, and the complete removal of a class system brought great variety to character builds. Gear management/modding also was a welcome return. Sadly, its biggest sins were a mostly bland cast and an uninspired plot, which made its other flaws much more aggravating. Because it's a BioWare game, people play it for the story.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VgWtvvA.gif

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it, it was my GOTY 2017. I really hope we see more of this series, it's my favourite gaming franchise.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope this game serves as an example to studios to hire capable people. Those animations became memes and gifs and killed the game.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I took advantage of the unbelievably quick drop in price this game had, and, no surprise, it was as disappointing as everyone was claiming. I wish I could praise something like the soundtrack which Mass Effect is known for, but I literally can't remember a single theme from Andromeda's soundtrack..

Krustoff

Nov 1, 2017
Man, I hope enough time passes and they can garner favor and give the franchise to a developer with enough time and space to make something that could retcon Andromeda and build on it's promising potential. I'm sure in our heads we all envisioned meeting new races with intricacies and histories as interesting as any of the more prominent Mass Effect Trilogy races.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The project is known to have been mismanaged and the end result showed that completely. Of course fans weren't going to be excited about a sub par game, and critics weren't either. Launching in that beta state wasn't going to earn much admiration from early buyers either. It certainly didn't from me.
Beta state? Not even close. The game was content complete. Main campaign took 50-60 hours with enough side missions and content to last a full 100 hours. There werent many bugs considering how big the game was, and facial animations were the only incomplete thing about the game. And they were fixed within 2-3 three weeks.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it for quite cheap late last year, and have yet to play it. I have read that the patches ironed out most mistakes and bugs (of course not ones related to quest design and general story).
What I'm looking forward to is the scifi setting, which is something that few other games in the genre can provide.

I hope that someday EA Bioware plans to revisit the series with a truly fresh start.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The problem with ME: Andromeda is that it is disappointingly mediocre. It has some great ideas and promises, but fails to execute on pretty much every single one of them. The bugs, bad animation and everything else just compounds on top of a game that is merely... ok.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Shame it turned out the way it did.
Came out at the worst time next to all the amazing games of early 2017.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Beta state? Not even close. The game was content complete. Main campaign took 50-60 hours with enough side missions and content to last a full 100 hours. There werent many bugs considering how big the game was, and facial animations were the only incomplete thing about the game. And they were fixed within 2-3 three weeks.

There were many bugs, and the fixes took 2 to 3 months unless I'm seriously misremembering. Not that it solved all cutscene animation problems as it was impossible. What the game needed was more development time, period.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't it sell really well tho? Like it was in the top ten best selling games of the year for most of the year (didn't finish out that way, but still).

I just beat it last month and liked it a lot.
In a vacuum, it sold fine. But it was an extremely expensive game, and it fell massively short of what EA expected it to sell. It is unquestionably a failure on more or less all fronts (critical, sales, community, etc.).

And, as I've long said, I feel like Bioware bears far more blame than EA. Honestly, EA was downright patient. It was Bioware management that let Montreal squander 3 years on wide goose chases trying to make No Man's Sky: The RPG, which eventually forced them to cobble together something in 18 months to shove out the door.

Honestly, I'm still really pissed at how the game betrays its very premise. You're an explorer charting new territories!.... just kidding, you're going to encounter Milky Way species everywhere you're going and you're far from the first person to visit stuff. Oh, but you have this pressing mission to create colonies and it needs to be done now or we're all going to die!... oh wait, you're tripping over "outlaw" colonies all over the place and they seem to be doing alright.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A pretty good contender for worst game I've played this generation, or it would be if I didn't play Fallout 4. I also think Inquisition was worse since Andromeda had solid combat at least. It's somewhat amusing to me to see how badly EA/Bioware dropped the ball with this series going back to the original trilogy.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing it now, and it's biggest sin isn't that it's mediocre but that it's mediocre forever. The trilogy games were tight affairs that even with all side missions could be completed in 20 to 30 hours.

I personally found more to like than most in this and if it was also a tight experience it would be worth playing warts and all. But it just keeps going to the point that even the things it does right have gotten stale and tiring, can't really recommend this one.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fascinating little flash point in video games. You have all the people who love the OT vs the people who like Andromeda, and the clashes tend to be massive. Then there is the whole political undercurrent to the game, with some claiming the game is filled with political correctness and others saying the dev team was a "bro fest", that argument alone has shaded a lot of the hate/love of the game. Combined with the pretty well researched articles about the development hell the game went through it just builds up to some sort of operatic tragedy.

Plus the Bioware A team working on Anthem and Dragon Age 4 leaving a newbie team on Andromeda and the whole history of EA killing off and mismanaging studios and Bioware of 2017 not feeling like the Bioware that developed KOTOR, Dragon Age 1, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect 1-2, etc it really was a inflection point on the state of the industry, that just completely blew up with the Battlefront 2 loot box nightmare a few months later.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
Damn.

On another note: how does this game compare to the xenoblade chronicles series in the sense of scale department? Rolling around in those worlds made you feel like a tiny person on a big adventure.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
it was just a very pretty looking mediocre sci-fi game

it wasn't absolutely terrible, it didn't kill anyone

It just was par for the course after patches.

Some of the environments and planet design though are really cool.....

only thing that sucked was the absolutely terrible quest design.....back and forth back and forth back and forth

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Damn.

On another note: how does this game compare to the xenoblade chronicles series in the sense of scale department? Rolling around in those worlds made you feel like a tiny person on a big adventure.
I've only played XBX which is narrative light. Andromeda is smaller and less interesting to explore, but the story beats you do encounter are usually better presented. Nothing really touches Xenoblade's scale. Andromeda planets tend to be large but sparse sandboxes.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
I've only played XBX which is narrative light. Andromeda is smaller and less interesting to explore, but the story beats you do encounter are usually better presented. Nothing really touches Xenoblade's scale. Andromeda planets tend to be large but sparse sandboxes.

Fuck. Alright. That's that then. Thanks.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's the lack of space setting RPGs, but I really liked it. Personally I found that the combat could be fairly deep, the story interesting, and it certainly looks great.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
... And once again a vocal part of the 'gaming community' showed their true colours by howling and shitting their pants like unruly toddlers.

Oh my god the horror! HER FACE IS NOT LITERALLY PICTURE PERFECT!!!!

Jeese, relax lol.

Never forget the crappy unfunny introduction of a crappy unfunny character.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
And we'll never get that Quarian DLC or a Mass Effect Andromeda 2.

Sigh.... this really saddens me.

Oct 30, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it. Haven't been back in a while, but I did have some issues with the latency and general lag in the multiplayer. Which is a shame because it is hella fun. Wonder what the Xbox population is still like. It's been months since I've touched it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... And once again a vocal part of the 'gaming community' showed their true colours by howling and shitting their pants like unruly toddlers.

Oh my god the horror! HER FACE IS NOT LITERALLY PICTURE PERFECT!!!!
1 person = vocal part..... you understand what hyperbolic means right? (yes during the time of release it was bad when all people did was complain that people werent pretty to their standard., but christ its only one person here who said anything wrong about it, wait till at least 3+posters dog on it before saying a vocal part of "Gaming community")

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Jeese, relax lol.

Never forget the crappy unfunny introduction of a crappy unfunny character.

Peebee's cool.

Cooler than you, I bet.

1 person = vocal part..... you understand what hyperbolic means right? (yes during the time of release it was bad when all people did was complain that people werent pretty to their standard., but christ its only one person here who said anything wrong about it, wait till at least 3+posters dog on it before saying a vocal part of "Gaming community")

What?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but you have to imagine they probably wanted to leave certain possibilities open for the potential future. It doesn't necessarily mean active development on DLC or ME: A2 was happening at any time.
Yeah, I agree.

Still, it sucks that they set up the story like that and then we get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.