• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the colours are more consistent in ME3 this time with the other two games. It was always off in ME3 for some reason.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised how low-key Bioware's been taking the marketing with this. Not like I'm expecting an ad blitz since it's a remaster, but you'd think they'd be pushing screenshots and videos on social media all the time to show it off.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised how low-key Bioware's been taking the marketing with this. Not like I'm expecting an ad blitz since it's a remaster, but you'd think they'd be pushing screenshots and videos on social media all the time to show it off.
I mean its mostly a known quantity. The people who are into a remaster are going to be into a remaster. It's not going to draw a massive new audience.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I mean its mostly a known quantity. The people who are into a remaster are going to be into a remaster. It's not going to draw a massive new audience.

I'm not sure. I feel there is an overall bigger audience for RPGs in the present when compared to 2007~2012. So the Legendary Edition can do quite well, both in terms of old players and new ones. Assuming it's a good product that is.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't much to show other than a series of graphics comparisons, which is really the biggest selling point of the remaster. So if they show too much now, there won't be much to show when the game actually launches. I still think they are saving the bigger marketing push for late April or early May. Everything else they could show is just stuff from games we've known for 10+ years.

I'm not sure. I feel there is an overall bigger audience for RPGs in the present when compared to 2007~2012. So the Legendary Edition can do quite well, both in terms of old players and new ones. Assuming it's a good product that is.
I agree with this. It's a trilogy that sold a lot, but could stand to sell even more with the larger install base PS4 and the Xbox One have nowadays. Not to mention this is $60 for three games and a ton of DLC. It's a steal. Additionally, Mass Effect was a controversial name about four years ago and it probably made people aware of the series for the wrong reasons but, ironically, Andromeda could help advertise the remaster in a "oh, so this is what everyone was on about back then" way.

Last edited:

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Saw on reddit a polish magazine had two new images of ME1:

5wue199h07o61.jpg

zb7a789h07o61.png

What's with Pressly's dark hair? lol

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Aging Pressly down a bit would make sense given that he tells you his GRANDFATHER fought in the First Contact War less than 30 years ago.

Also hey, nice new hair option on Shepard there.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got around to playing Andromeda. I wanted to know it out before May. I think there is a fun game in there but holy crap is Origin buggy. Half of the time I needed to restart my PC to get the client to work. The game crashed a few times and there was audio sync issues throughout. I pretty much just did the main campaign and said goodbye. I am so glad I am getting the LE on PS5 and not PC.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
They'll probably release some comparison video on YouTube in proper quality before the Legendary Edition comes out.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Saw on reddit a polish magazine had two new images of ME1:

5wue199h07o61.jpg

Ooh, this is from the press event, specifically the scene I mentioned where they did a piece by piece breakdown of the rendering and asset enhancements. It was this exact scene and character, and they went down a list of features turning them on/off, you could see the impact the changes have made and how they all come together in the end.

I remember some of the points they made during this being;
- bokeh dof
- improved volumetric fog
- lighting engine pass
- ambient occlusions
- improved textures
- improved skin tones and shading with subsurface scattering
- added/enhanced black hairstyles

As others have said, it's probably a combo of it still being a little while away, and the target market mainly being old fans who are assuredly very familiar with the release. I expect a bit more of a push as we get closer to the date, but even so there's probably only so much they can show.

Mass Effect 1 is the biggest upgrade by far, at least comprehensively. It's not going to be a total remake of combat and whatnot, more smoothing/polishing, but that alone combined with general QOL improvements (like the new hud) will probably be next on the list to really show off. ME1 also has the most comprehensive asset remaking. ME2/ME3 aren't, as far as I'm aware, receiving any changes to combat and play, or at least not like ME1. They're going to function largely like they always have. And while both games are also getting new assets the approach as a whole is a bit different: full asset remaking is limited to very specific things (like character models), with additional work going into updating all textures and details where possible. Whereas ME1, as we've seen, has entire environments repopulated with new assets, effects, shaders to bring together a more content rich scene.

ME2/ME3 AFAIK are not getting that attention. Asset quality upgrades, yes. Environmental remaking, no. Which probably skewers the marketing a bit.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I figure the brighter, more vibrant Presidium was a conscious aesthetic choice to make the locative evocative of a safe haven and place of respite given every other location in the game being war torn. Much like the choice to have the Normandy darkened and lit by a lot of red/blue lighting to be evocative of a submarine operating at low profile during war, I imagine they wanted to the tone of the Citadel to be almost overwhelmingly inviting and peaceful. A choice to also highlight the accumulating casualties and refugees that occupy it as the story progresses.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The "red sky" seems to be slightly back which is cool, I wonder if they listened the feedback on this was just yet implemented in the first build they showed in the reveal.
This was how it always looked, the initial reveal shot with Sovereign just gave a slightly misleading representation. From what I understood before previews went out, the initial Eden Prime mission still retains some redness or progressively gets darker/more red the more you progress towards the end.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Ooh, this is from the press event, specifically the scene I mentioned where they did a piece by piece breakdown of the rendering and asset enhancements. It was this exact scene and character, and they went down a list of features turning them on/off, you could see the impact the changes have made and how they all come together in the end.

I remember some of the points they made during this being;
- bokeh dof
- improved volumetric fog
- lighting engine pass
- ambient occlusions
- improved textures
- improved skin tones and shading with subsurface scattering
- added/enhanced black hairstyles

As others have said, it's probably a combo of it still being a little while away, and the target market mainly being old fans who are assuredly very familiar with the release. I expect a bit more of a push as we get closer to the date, but even so there's probably only so much they can show.

Mass Effect 1 is the biggest upgrade by far, at least comprehensively. It's not going to be a total remake of combat and whatnot, more smoothing/polishing, but that alone combined with general QOL improvements (like the new hud) will probably be next on the list to really show off. ME1 also has the most comprehensive asset remaking. ME2/ME3 aren't, as far as I'm aware, receiving any changes to combat and play, or at least not like ME1. They're going to function largely like they always have. And while both games are also getting new assets the approach as a whole is a bit different: full asset remaking is limited to very specific things (like character models), with additional work going into updating all textures and details where possible. Whereas ME1, as we've seen, has entire environments repopulated with new assets, effects, shaders to bring together a more content rich scene.

ME2/ME3 AFAIK are not getting that attention. Asset quality upgrades, yes. Environmental remaking, no. Which probably skewers the marketing a bit.

I thought the technical upgrades were across the three games, not only to ME1. The only difference was the tweaks to ME1's gameplay.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the technical upgrades were across the three games, not only to ME1. The only different was the tweaks to ME1's gameplay.

Sorry, my post probably sounded really confusing that I now reread it.

Yep, the tech/engine upgrades are applicable across all three games. Anything in the rendering pipeline will be applied across the trilogy, which is great as it ensures bokeh DOF and ambient occlusions and all that stuff are uniform across the board. What I meant to say is that the approach to asset remaking is different between the two. The same degree of attention is being granted to characters and whatnot (we probably just see the improvements more obviously in ME1 due to its age), as is the attention to texture work (some textures heavily touched up, others simply churned through an upscaler). But the bulk of the heavy rework (gameplay tweaks, and remaking environments with entirely new assets) is going to ME1.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
This was how it always looked, the initial reveal shot with Sovereign just gave a slightly misleading representation. From what I understood before previews went out, the initial Eden Prime mission still retains some redness or progressively gets darker/more red the more you progress towards the end.
That's great to hear if true. It might seem small to most but to me that red sky really helps set the tone of the Eden Prime mission and what comes after, and while I know a lot of people that thought it was too long, it's still one of my most favourite intro missions in gaming.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Just because I believe saying the same things multiple times in an internet forum increase the likelihood of it happening in real life: the secret to improve planet scanning in ME2 is not to improve planet scanning in ME2. It's to give significant more resources from missions.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
At most they'll increase the base cursor speed in planet scanning, that's it.

I don't mind it at all - I find it relaxing - but for people who don't want to do it there should be another way.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because I believe saying the same things multiple times in an internet forum increase the likelihood of it happening in real life: the secret to improve planet scanning in ME2 is not to improve planet scanning in ME2. It's to give significant more resources from missions.
Yup, though it still doesn't mean that planet scanning was fun though. To be honest flying the Normandy around in the galaxy map in ME2 and 3 was always tedious as I preferred the faster and snappier galaxy map of the first game.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks Shinobi! I didn't have much issue personally with what they showed but it's even better if it's a gradual thing and go to red. Lore and original artistic vision would be there. Good enough for me :)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I love the planet scanning mini game, it was a nice break in between missions. The cursor just needs to move faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.