• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which class will you choose?

• Soldier

Votes: 380 22.2%
  • Adept

Votes: 296 17.3%
  • Engineer

Votes: 126 7.4%
  • Vanguard

Votes: 724 42.2%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 172 10.0%
  • Infiltrator

Votes: 274 16.0%

• Total voters

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I am watching the HBO show Silicon Valley, and in episode 2 they made a big stink about ME3 and something about "multiple useless endings".

Without spoilers, is that something that got patched? Or is there something I should do in-game to avoid this? This tv show episode is from a fee years ago so…

I am curious what they meant by mutiple useless endings lol

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I am watching the HBO show Silicon Valley, and in episode 2 they made a big stink about ME3 and something about "multiple useless endings".

Without spoilers, is that something that got patched? Or is there something I should do in-game to avoid this? This tv show episode is from a fee years ago so…

I mean, how it ends is a spoiler unto itself. But without going into any SPECIFIC story beats, character moments, or developments, the general gist is your moment-to-moment decisions have countless ripple effects throughout your playthrough of each game. Some answers you give and things you do may not make it immediately apparent, but they'll have consequences (good or bad) later in the game(s). Most people were very disappointed in the end of ME3 and the conclusion of the trilogy, as instead of having countless outcomes predicated on the decisions and actions you had taken across hundreds of hours, practically everyone was instead given, effectively, three choices on how they want the story to conclude.

This was a very well known disappointment at release, considering the years of build-up, and got a lot of bad press. People were rightfully disappointed. But I think most level-headed individuals realized at the time (or have come around to realizing) the journey itself - and not the destination - is still fantastic and worth enjoying.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, how it ends is a spoiler unto itself. But without going into any SPECIFIC story beats, character moments, or developments, the general gist is your moment-to-moment decisions have countless ripple effects throughout your playthrough of each game. Some answers you give and things you do may not make it immediately apparent, but they'll have consequences (good or bad) later in the game(s). Most people were very disappointed in the end of ME3 and the conclusion of the trilogy, as instead of having countless outcomes predicated on the decisions and actions you had taken across hundreds of hours, practically everyone was instead given, effectively, three choices on how they want the story to conclude.

This was a very well known disappointment at release, considering the years of build-up. People were rightfully disappointed. But I think most level-headed individuals realized at the time (or have come around to realizing) the journey itself - and not the destination - is still fantastic and worth enjoying.

much appreciated thank you!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The next two days at work are going to draaaaaaaaaaaag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just buying it for XSX, there shouldn't be any advantages on PS5 right?

Edit: I don't have a 120 FPS TV but I'm guessing the capability for that will mean the Xbox can run it just as good or better at 60 than the PS5
Based on what I've seen in streams, Series X also has the fastest load times (which is typical for BC games).

Fast travel from Presidium to Citadel Tower

Series X (time code: 1:00:07) ~4 seconds

PS5 (time code: 56:53) ~6.5 seconds

Here's a comparison between an autosave prompt on Therum.

Series X (time code: 2:54:19) Blink and you'll miss it.

PS5 (time code: 7:19:00) 1 second.

Series X has a small advantage, but these are obviously great load times for both platforms. The real test is going to be the last gen machines.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
much appreciated thank you!

Of course! Don't stress about the endings at all - it's not worth it. Go in blind (ignore what you just read) and just have an excellent time. You very well might end up loving the ending - many people still do.

I'll tell you this - while others were complaining about the ending, the thing that stuck with me at the time (and still does a decade later) is one of my absolute favorite character moments and dialogue decisions in any game - ever - that comes toward the end of the 3rd game. I couldn't hate the ending when moments of the journey were that special.

For those that have played:
purposefully missing the sniper shot with Wrex

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect 2 is looking great:

And there is a few touches that feel more personalized. They changed the model of the attack drones somewhat, and the explosion when you kill the big mech at the end is definitely different, if slighly blurred for some reason. They also add hit marks, that highlights when you hit a weak spot (same for ME1).

SnoopyK

Jan 27, 2018
My PS5 downloaded it and says completed but it's only 78.66 GB/80.63 GB in info, Version 1.01

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is looking great:

And there is a few touches that feel more personalized. They changed the model of the attack drones somewhat, and the explosion when you kill the big mech at the end is definitely different, if slighly blurred for some reason. They also add hit marks, that highlights when you hit a weak spot (same for ME1).

With how good ME1 looks with all the overhauls I was ready to be disappointed in 2 and 3.. and while yeah they are still a tad disappointing these textures look so sharp and the subtle changes to it make me really fucking excited to play through them.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

ME3's endings weren't well received. they did patch them, funnily enough, but even with those minor updates ME3's conclusion is a bit infamous.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Without spoiling specifics, Mass Effect built part of its identity through the design and marketing bullet point of choices and consequences. Be confronted with tough decisions, make your choices, and live with the consequences. The extensiveness and relevance of implementing choice/consequence varies per scenario across each of the three games and is a general point of discussion and scrutiny (as it is with all games that aim to offer such narrative branching). But the real stinging point for a lot of fans was that the meaningfulness of choices made across three games were expected to have some impact on, or at least identifiable presence within, the ending of Mass Effect 3. As, you know, Mass Effect 3 was the sum total of events of a trilogy.

Expectations were further inflated by BioWare's staff, namely Casey Hudson, discussing in pre-interview media how Mass Effect 3's ending would be wide and varied in its outcomes and wasn't simple binary choices. Naturally fans expected a big finish to a big series that had, up until that point, at least provided engaging choices within the narrative (even if the consequences were often superficial).

The vanilla build of Mass Effect 3's climax however was everything but. There's specific little changes in the ending variables, but the contextual triggers in how to get them were so far removed from anything that the player had engaged with in the trilogy up until that point, and the variations between the ending states so minute and trivial, that most/many were left immensely unsatisfied and deflated by the conclusion. For what it could have been and also, on a technical and design level given expectations and marketing, what it functionally was.

Post launch BioWare built and patched in the "Extended Edition" supplementing content. It doesn't change the ending, but does provide significantly more supplementing material to highlight what comes after that is, in this instance, somewhat based on choices and decisions made throughout the trilogy. If you've played any of the old CRPGs from the late 90s / early 2000s on PC, like Fallout, Arcanum, and all that, the Extended Edition supplementing content follows a similar presentation blueprint; a series of slideshow images with statement to give context, on how the galaxy and species and people or whatever grew, changed, etc in the aftermath.

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. They don't undo the overwhelming apathy of the endings as they are, which will make more sense when you get there. They don't offset much of the criticism directed at how the narrative presents itself during the climax and the implications of such. But the aftermath slideshow pieces add extremely welcome substance to what was otherwise a totally vapid ending that seemed utterly indifferent to the three games that lead there.

I've long argued that Mass Effect 3's ending issues are combination of bad writing, and also rushed production. The former is what it is, but the latter is evident in just how content starved the vanilla release was and how quickly BioWare produced the Extended Edition pack. I firmly believe they had bigger plans and they just couldn't see them through.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Eden Prime looks amazing. They didn't detract from the atmosphere at all imo with the lighting changes.

Edit: No "Say Goodnight Manuel"?! Terrible choice youtuber

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I'm not sure if it's a glitch, but while on the title screen it says that I can be 16 hours and 51 minutes, after I enter the application of the game it says 6 and 51 (PS4). I'll try later to see what's going on.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
So you can't holster weapons in ME3?

A feature people have wanted since the original release, that they petitioned for in this release, that was modded into the game on PC years ago... it was too hard? Too much effort?

Last edited:

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

A feature people have wanted since the original release, that they petitioned for in this release, that was modded into the game on PC years ago... it was too hard? Too much effort?

Ah man what a shame, I was really hoping they would change that, it was such a requested feature by the community

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I guess I'll shelve my hopes for an improved quest log too.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know what music is on the main menu yet? Is it Vigil? (ME1 main menu music)

Drblitzk

Dec 9, 2020
So watching some of the latest footage on higher resolutions, ME1 looks very improved visualy but the sequels don't look much different than how I played them last year with mods, so I'm thinking about holding off until a price cut, mainly because I really want a consistent Shepard across all games lol, but yeah I can wait.

May 17, 2018
OK!

Story Mode guys (YouTubers) linked up with Bioware developers to breakdown the "Cure the Genophage" mission.

(Gameplay is from the original Mass Effect 3 - not legendary ediiton)

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
So apparently in ME1 you can now choose between two progression modes: Legendary Mode (default) uses a level 1-30 range, whereas Classic Mode uses the original 1-60 range. I wonder which one I should pick.

Last edited:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

Oh come on Bioware seriously you had one job.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
wait wait wait wait wait.

what have they done to ME1's soundtrack?

I meant the main menu has remastered visuals, the soundtrack is the same.

d0buqvzr9oy61.png

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
I switched my Xbox One over to New Zealand. The store there says the game unlocks May 13 at 7am.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Removed or corrected? ME2 and 3 removed Pluto's orbital path but the colour scheme needs updating from those games since we got clearer photos in 2015.
It is not there at all. At least on the stream I saw.

Worth noting that Pluto is central to the overall theme, because its moon Charon is actually the Mass Relay of the Solar System. So it's kinda funny.

EDIT: I may be mistaken. According to old footage, it appears Pluto is tucked away to the far edge of the system map so it may simply have been out of the FOV on the stream.

Last edited:

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Have the game pre-loaded on PSN, on the home screen it says unlock in 12 hours while launching the game it says unlock in 2 hours. Hoping for the latter!

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
So with all the DLC, except Pinnacle, included, where do you usually slot them into a playthrough?

For Bring Down the Sky in ME1, I usually do it just before Virmire as part of the sidequest clean-up there.

ME2, the Reaper IFF mission is the point of no return, so I usually run Lair of the Shadow Broker there, as if it was Shepard's loyalty mission. But I'm not sure what to do with Overlord, since I never had that one. Is there a natural time to run it? I'm thinking before the Collector ship, maybe? Firewalker can be done whenever. And Arrival is post Suicide Mission.

ME3, From Ashes is ASAP to get Javik. Leviathan is late. Never had Omega, but I'd say post Tuchanka sounds about right. And Citadel is before the point of no return.

Jun 17, 2018
Tried the New Zealand trick and it didn't work, not sure what the store means by 13th at 1pm. Going to try again at 1pm UK time to see if it unlocks.