• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want the Mass Effect series to be rereleased as a remake or a remaster?

• Remaster

Votes: 427 41.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 600 58.4%

• Total voters

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
tl;dr at the bottom

Going off of the thread that Stygr has going, it's very clear that the vast majority of fans keep the trilogy close to their heart. We want to replay those games.

However at this point at least for me, at the end of the generation what I want more is a remake of the series. From 2013-2016 I wanted a ME trilogy remaster, but after the release of Andromeda and the closing out of Ps4/Xbone, what I want now more is a remake series.

I'm on mobile otherwise I would link to a previous thread I made which was that Bioware should take the Kiwami approach to Mass Effect. By that I mean, remake each and every single installment from the ground up, with the care of it being a brand new project.

Me1 could be a launch title or an early release for next gen, and each release after could contain all dlc parts as organically part of the game. Don't get me wrong though, I'll also be very happy with a remaster now. I just think the trilogy is a good candidate for a remake, to fully reinvigorate what made the series originally so beloved.

tl;dr

At this point of the console generation, if the original three Mass Effect games were rereleased, would you want all three in a remastered collection, or have each game remade?

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Mass Effect 1 could be an all time great after a remake. The game is designed within the limitations of the 360 in mind and it sticks out like a sore thumb today.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
The first one needs a remake as its gameplay doesn't hold up well and it's the worst of the trilogy. 2 and 3 need complete graphical overhauls for next gen.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
ME1 is pretty rough now. The combat and graphics. I don't think a simple remaster would be enough there. ME2 I am ok with, a remaster would make me happy.
ME3 I honestly don't care about unless they remake it and also change the story.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Remake, don't need to change the story (unpopular opinion I know), but I don't want it to be just uprezzed graphics. I want SotC level remake. Same exact game, but gorgeous and some qol upgrades.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original game needs to have the combat remade and redesigned in the style of the sequels.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remake. The graphics aren't the main issue. In ME1, the vast amounts of filler is. In ME3, the writing is. ME2 would probably need the most minimal retooling.

May 17, 2018

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Remaster the first one, don't give a shit about the others.

I don't want a remake of the first because I know they would inevitably fuck it up and turn it into a shallow third person shooter.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remaster the first game, and then make two new games that completely erased ME2 and 3 from history.

This is incredibly reasonable and normal of me to ask for.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Neither, let em lie as they were.

Would rather such energies/resources be poured into new ideas and worlds

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Remake. I can already play the games at 4K, 60 FPS on PC so don't need that.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, you might as well remake it for next gen. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a remaster that's 4k/60 fps and has all the DLC

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I would lean towards a remake. As rough around the edges ME1s combat is, I feel like the trilogy still holds up in its current state.
I could only see myself spending money on ME again if there was a major visual overhaul to the trilogy.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I would rather wait longer and pay more for an RE2 style remake then shorter for a remaster but if its ever remaster or nothing then shiiiiet gimme dat remaster

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Honestly I'd take anything right now, I voted for remaster since that's the most likely one. The way BioWare is treating #N7Day tells me nothing will happen anyway.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I would like to replay an original trilogy with all DLCs on modern platforms, so probably would take remaster. That said, remake of ME1 with polished gameplay could be neat.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I would say remake, particularly for Red Dead Redemption, but Mass Effect 2 is just perfect as is. A total remake of 3 would be nice but it's never going to happen.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither kind of lost my drive to play ME trilogy again knowing how it ends. All your choices and decisions was for nothing.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The only changes I'd want are ME3's combo system in 1 and 2 and a revisit to 3's ending. Not enough to justify a remake imo.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A Remake of 1 but just the citadel and leaving the normandy to find Saren, stretched to a full game. :D

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
If Bioware decides to remake the ME trilogy, you know they would fuck it up. Remaster all the way.

Oct 24, 2019
First game needs a top to bottom remake since it has some glaring issues. The inventory needs to be completely revamped, it's terrible. The combat needs a big update to feel more fluid & fun. The Mako stuff needs to be completely changed. The graphics have obviously aged worse than 2&3, so they could use some extra attention.

I think 2&3 would be fine with a normal remaster though, they still look pretty good and don't have the same technical issues as the first one.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I voted Remaster, but thinking about it more ... maybe Remakes would be good in the sense of getting back to the roots for the studio with that franchise.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to be able to replay the trilogy with a pad without having to plug my X360 again. Remaster would be more than enough for me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Remake all the way. We're 7+ years removed from ME3's release. The trilogy is really old at this point. A new coat of paint would be nice, but there's a lot of other valuable things they could do to improve the entire experience both visual, gameplay and story.

Fix the ending to not suck and actually reflect the player's journey and choices, fix some of the weak, underdeveloped story beats, cut content and dropped plotlines and mishandled/poorly represented choices throughout. Make improvements to some of the relationships; better progression, less sex=end goal, more LGBTQ+ options. Improve/rethink other mechanics like resource gathering, Galactic readiness, etc. Harmonize the combat systems and progression over the course of all three games. Expand on Power Combos.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I don't think they need a remake, I'd prefer to see a new one. All three hold up for me, the only thing I would remake would be the combat of 1. 3's issues I think are deeper than a remake could fix, it would be like changing the whole game at that point.