• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want the Mass Effect series to be rereleased as a remake or a remaster?

• Remaster

Votes: 427 41.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 600 58.4%

• Total voters

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No chance of a remake but a remaster would be much appreciated. I wonder if MS will release a new patch on Project Scarlet?

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Remaster. The first Mass Effect was basically perfect, except for inventory management. It doesn't need to be remade.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd love to play the first two games with the superior gameplay from ME3. The first game in particular is such a slog to play. I probably wouldn't have completed it if ME2 didn't screw you over if you didn't import a save file.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'd prefer remaster. They all hold up well enough, so get them together in one remastered collection, and let me enjoy that while they make a brand new Mass Effect. And let them take their time EA, pls.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
If they remake it I'm sure they'll get rid of or fuck up the elements of it I like, so remaster. I'm mostly talking about the first one; I don't care what they do with the other two.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Remake because I don't feel like I'd gain much from a remaster of a series I've already experienced and explored to the fullest. Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises so I'd prefer to experience it in a new way. Give me a remake, add VR support, and we're talking. (No Bioware though please)

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
They would ruin the series even further if they remade it with today's team. So remaster, please.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Remake the entire trilogy but keep all the soundtrack the same, dont change a thing story wise until ME3
Take Gears 5 and MEA and build the combat system based on those.
ME3 should add the scrapped mission un Kahje, starring Kasumi and Thane, with the possibility of curing the Kepral syndrom, add Miranda to the squad after her visit to the citadel (and change her fucking outfit)
Rewrite Kai Leng entirely, we dont need an annoying and coward nemesis, we need an epic nemesis, Thane should be able to kick his ass (if Kepral syndrom was cured)
Add more lines for Virmire's survivor.
Javik and Leviathans need to feel more organic when added to the story.
Final mission needs to be longer, bigger and with choices and consequences.
I'll add more later on.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nah seriously, I don't want a remake. Modern RPGs take far too long to make and you want 2 and 3 then as remake or it'll be weird. I wouldn't mind a remake of Kotor because that's more stand alone and it's hard to beat Revan's story.

She is. But if we're talking a remake I'd recast everyone.
Jennifer Hale has a nice, distinct voice. It wouldn't feel right to me.

Oct 26, 2017
An UE4 ME 1-3 remake with Andromeda combat system is both fantastic and "costly" to make.

A remastered is way cheaper.

I guess EA will opt for a remastered, remakes are expensive.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
A bit of both :

I'd remake ME1 to include the gameplay of 2 and 3.

I'd just remaster 2 who's perfect as it is.

And remaster most of 3 with a complete remake of the ending.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
HURRDURR THE ENDING GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE OH NO MUMMY I'VE DONE A POO-POO IN MY NAP-NAP

I'd be quite happy with a remastered trilogy. As long as it went the extra mile to smooth out the first games rough edges. It'd be nice if things were unified and streamlined across the trilogy where possible too, for a more cohesive experience.

Obviously I'd be interested in a full on remake, but I can't see it ever happening.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Just remaster the original trilogy [SOTC PS4 style, go all in on visual changes] and tighten up the gameplay/UI to be a bit more enjoyable for modern gamers.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
i would be scared of them fucking up a remake, because all people want Mass Effect 1 to be more like Mass effect 2.
But Mass Effect 2s solution to fixing many of the first games porblems was just removing features.
The inventory screen is cumbersome? gone
Mako driving wasnt that interesting cause the landscapes were barren and there wasnt that much to find? gone

Sure the Shooting felt a bit better but thats the best thing about ME2.
Just changing a few things about these games is not enough so either just make a totally new entry or just make a remaster with a few Quality of life things.

Mass Effect 3 doesnt even let you holster your gun lol.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If they remade ME1 it would probably lose the sliver of gameplay I liked about the series and make it more homogeneous with 2 and 3.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't feel right in a remaster. A remake however is a new game. Would you keep everyone from the trilogy?
Well I wouldn't remake it. But yeah I would keep the same voices if it was remade. Anyone else voicing Garrus, Wrex or Tali wouldn't feel right and Jennifer Hale is one of a kind, imagine some else not Keith David voicing Anderson. Shephard might even be her best voice role as well.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
It kinda depends, if they remake it and EA has silly engine demands then i'm pretty sure it will be a mess. In that case just remaster it

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Remake, new ending for ME3 and continue the series from there. Andromeda never happened.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I voted remake, but in the vein of Resident Evil's Remakes.
Take what was great about the games and make it look fantastic and play great compared to modern standards.

I'd also trust modern Bioware (or a skilled remake company) more to do a decent job with a remake rather than coming up with something completely new like Andromeda.

They could also take the time to improve or expand on some things in the series.
ME2 for example had a great concept of Shepard being brought back to life, but there was very little depth given to it. They could also revise the end a bit to make the Reaper skeleton baby make more sense.

And ME3 they could do a lot to improve it's story.
For the main game, do a better backstory/motivation for the Reapers. Robots that kill life to stop life from making robots that kill life was stupid, and the "saving people from themselves" thing has been done in so many evil robot stories. That original storyline that Bioware writer takes about with the use of Mass Effect Drives causing the acceleration of the death of the galaxy was a potentially good idea.

They could also make Cerberus a lot better in ME3. Maybe introduce Kai leng (I think that's his name) in ME2 or even 1 and build his character up and make him suck less.

I also think they should change the machine you build throughout ME3 (the Reaper killer weapon). It just being a magic "win button" felt really lame.
Make a moral choice around using the device itself, like it could take out 1/10 of the galaxy to use it, or make it only one piece of the fight against the Reapers (a powerful weapon, but not the MAIN solution.
Make your alliances with the different alien races the main deciding factor in the war against the Reapers, and make the moral choice be whether or not to fight them to extinction or find out they're capable of negotiating a truce or something.

That way you can have an ending that can continue the universe better than whatever the hell that stupid "hybrid/green" option was in OG ME3

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd still love the original Mass Effect Trilogy on Switch, though.

But for any new Mass Effect games (probably next Gen) I'd love to see a full remake of the trilogy.
too all those people voting remake, do you trust EA of 2019 to remake mass effect?
I'd trust that more than them making a new Mass Effect game.

I think the time for EA to just make just an HD Remaster has passed.
I think the games are too large to do a Spyro/Crash quality remaster, at that point they'd need to put as much work as a full remake to get them looking good enough to modern game standards. Otherwise you'll just get better character models and textures pasted over the aging animations and simple environments.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I for sure do not want modern EA or bioware touching the game.

Remake 1's gameplay at the most.

2&3 left completely untouched.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Remaster the first three games and devote resources to a new title. The first game needs a polishing on some edges.

As for the end of ME3, I don't like this American way of storytelling, where everything needs to be well explained and detailed. The ending of ME3 most closely resembles the oriental form of narrative. In this respect many aspects are left open and to the reader's imagination.

Often, whatever we do, the end will be the same. For more open endings.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no confidence at all in Bioware being able to change anything for the better or really do anything that isn't clearly set in stone as "this is what you have to execute".

Remaster, they can do a remake afterwards but at least give fans something that allows them to play updated versions of the game on modern systems. Even the PC version is all kinds of janky between controller support, textures, paying for DLCs, etc.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they straight up remake it I'm more worried about Bioware than I already am.

Just feels weird to me that the studio who made it's name from great writing would spend so much time reworking a game with what would largely be the same script. I'd probably purchase either of the poll options at the end of the day though. I just miss Mass Effect.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We've already got a remastered version on PC with better textures and such, so a remake would be my preference. Regardless, I really don't think the series needs either.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Remaking 3 games, RPGs with the size of Mass Effect nonetheless, seems like a gigantic task tbh.

I would honestly be happy with a 60fps remaster (DLCs included) with some of the textures getting touched up here and there.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
reMakE

(Though, to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy if we just got native controller support on PC... maybe with a patch when ME3 inevitably comes to Steam.)

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of them.

They should continue the trilogy maintaining what Mass effect so enjoyable to and putting behind Andromeda.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the Mass Effect games just fine at the time, but they were a product of their time and putting any resources into remaking those games would be a waste, imo, compared to making a new game with the benefit of modern game design and a fresh story.

Mass Effect was created during a time when developers were still figuring out what to do with the first gen of HD consoles; they are primitive compared to what developers can do today and as such I think it would be a mistake to remake them.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take a remake or reboot any day.

Just please don't remaster it, because I don't want to be reminded by how terrible ME3 actually was. Not only the ending, but also things like story decisions, crew members and enemies like Cerberus.

And give me Grunt, Thane, Legion and Jack back you cowards. Also, let me save Thane and let me spent more time with Legion.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a remaster, obviously, but a remake that brought ME1's gameplay in line with 2 and 3 and maybe had a less jarring ending for 3 would be appreciated.

Yes, ME1's gameplay is inferior. Yes, Saren is the best antagonist in the series. That doesn't make infinite ammo and invincible enemies on Insanity any more fun to fight. ME2 was a massive improvement.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Remake where Kaidan is available for male Shepard from the start. I'm sure there'd be a lot of people who'd enjoy that.
Though maybe a remaster would be enough to add that in.