• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want the Mass Effect series to be rereleased as a remake or a remaster?

• Remaster

Votes: 427 41.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 600 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Remaster 2, remake 1 and 3.
This is the answer for me.

- Revamp 1 so mechanically it works more like the latter 2 (I know it will piss some peeps off but the game will play better and the series will be more consistent),
- Remaster 2 so it has better graphics but generally is left intact
- Remake 3 with better ending options to kill off the controversy once and for all, and give more ways to reintegrate Mass Effect 2 squadmates who were under-utilised in Mass Effect 3.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine with 1-3 + DLC remastered for $60

I would never bet money on EA being capable of any more effort than that, and I'm doubtful they even care enough to do that bare minimum. Same for Dead Space

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
too all those people voting remake, do you trust EA of 2019 to remake mass effect?

Yes. More than Bioware anyway. Either way remake or remaster it most likely would not be Bioware behind it.

To the OP question, ideally I would prefer a remake but I would be okay if 2 & 3 were remastered but 1 needs to be remade.

There is so much that doesn't hold up now with 1. Worst combat, all side missions being copy pasted locations with the difference being the number of crates, and terrible inventory management, as well as a very unbalanced economy. I know a lot really like 1 but imo it really needs to be remade.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remake ME1 for sure. Make the combat and RPG stuff more stream lined like 2 and 3, add in some more things todo on the planets with the Mako--more combat, more sidemissions etc.

ME 2 and 3 I'm mostly fine just getting remasters as they're two of my all time favorite games and they hold up better.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid a remake would ruin too much of what I like about ME1. It's certainly a flawed gem but those flaws mostly came from cool stuff that was either experimental or went against the grain, and was never touched on again. A remake would probably feel far less ambitious.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world I would love to see these done with a remake.

Do I trust the current Bioware to do that? Fuck no. Don't touch my games.

Just put a shiny new texture pack on them and leave them alone.

Ghrellin

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Remake..they remake everything, Batman, Spiderman, Ghostbusters, origin stories, may as well throw in ME..but tbh the first two worked great, they were fun.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Copy/paste into the Andromeda engine. Increase the amount of enemies fought in the random encounters. Reframe encounters for Geth, Husks, mercs, and Krogan clones, bring back squad commands. Bring back armors and weapon loadouts for squad.

Call it a day.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. More than Bioware anyway. Either way remake or remaster it most likely would not be Bioware behind it.

To the OP question, ideally I would prefer a remake but I would be okay if 2 & 3 were remastered but 1 needs to be remade.

There is so much that doesn't hold up now with 1. Worst combat, all side missions being copy pasted locations with the difference being the number of crates, and terrible inventory management, as well as a very unbalanced economy. I know a lot really like 1 but imo it really needs to be remade.
I dont dissagree, but given EA's output of the last few years I cant say I trust them with a remake.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ME1 needs a remake way more than 2 and 3 need a remaster.

Ideally any collection would rework ME1 to be more in line with 2 and 3 systems wise, while maintaining the awesome story-telling.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Remaster because I don't trust them to remake it

Remaster 1 and make the abilities feel as good as they did in 3

3 perfected the combat and chaining abilities

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want sth somewhere in the middle. Keep the story the same (but feel free to add stuff back in that may have been cut for lack of time), keep the original vocal performances, level design, gameplay mechanics, music, etc. but upgrade the visuals in a more substantial way than just slapping higher res textures onto the original models. Basically, give us the original games but with modern graphics. Also, give us same-sex romances from the start, pls. Wouldn't even need to retcon much of anything since Kaidan and/or Ashley are same-sex romance options in ME3 anyway. (Ideally, I'd want them to just completely overhaul ME3's story and go with the original dark matter version, make it feel less linear and scripted,... But I don't think they'd ever do that even if they got the resources for it.)

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
im ok with a simple upres of the trilogy, with all the dlc in one package. but more work goes into it the better.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
EA wouldn't do a remake without fucking it up with MT's. Hell, they could do the same thing with a remaster too. Activision didn't have any problem with it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, thought the poll would go towards remaster honestly.
Pie-in-the-sky, I would prefer a remake.

But I know EA is skittish at putting up the money for a simple PORT, let alone a remaster, let alone a remake.

Ideally, I'd like it to get the Shadow of the Colossus remake-remaster treatment. Bring all the environments and character models up to modern expectations.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont want another drawn out FFVII Remake situation.

Just remaster the damn games and bundle all the DLC.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Remake > Remaster

However I'll take a remaster of the first two games. EA can keep that third game (no the ending was just the icing on an already trash game for me).

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Infusing ME1 with ME2/3 elements while also reintroducing some of those lost elements from ME1 back into ME2/3 would be nice. ME2/3 for good and bad definitely became a bit too streamlined. While ME1 was a little janky and combat was too abstract/skill based. Really most I want to see for ME1 is the more refined combat from ME2/3, while for ME2/3 I'd like to see a lot more opening up of the skills and locations to match ME1's style more. Hell I'd love for them to bring back and reintroduce some more Mako segments and empty planets.

Fuck those probes from ME3 to find artifacts and shit for Galactic Readiness. Give me so planets to drive on for a bit to explore. Vacant moonscapes like ME1 had or bombed out populated areas.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remake. There is a lot that can be edited out of that game to make it a lot more streamlined. Also upgrading enemy AI would be awesome.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CTR style remake with mechanics intact or RE2 style with every game having ME3/ Andromeda mechanics?

Either way, the remake needs improved cutscenes for dialogue scenes.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
A bit of both :

I'd remake ME1 to include the gameplay of 2 and 3.

I'd just remaster 2 who's perfect as it is.

And remaster most of 3 with a complete remake of the ending.

Mostly this, although the encounter designs as well as the squad mate selection was what was the most lacking for me with the third game. I never thought the endings ruined the game, or everything that came prior with the previous games. Mainly because I was so bored with ME3 during the last six hour or so stretch that I just wanted it to be over.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no point in "remaking" Mass Effect, nor is there much reason to remaster any of the games.

Just... let the damn franchise die.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no point in "remaking" Mass Effect, nor is there much reason to remaster any of the games.

Just... let the damn franchise die.
I did a massive thread last year about why it's important that they actual DO remaster the games.

One of the reasons I mentioned it is something companies like Nintendo and Capcom have mentioned - that by going back and revisiting and recreating your original, beloved games, you walk away with a fresh and renewed understanding of what made those games beloved in the FIRST place. It not only renews interest in your franchises, reminds players why they were enjoyable at the time, but also paves the way for future installments and success.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'm fine with just graphic upgrades and an all dlc package. Remaking those games would be a massive task and clearly I don't think they want or are up to the task right now.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'd rather have something new, to be honest. Based on the same universe, but a completely different story.

But, if I have to pick out of those two, definitely remake.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I dont trust ea with a remake. Remaster would be better.
if they remake it i fear it will be in the vain of Andromeda.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's not a poll option but: Spin off.

Just a new story similar settings and races but totally different characters and stories. Throw in some fan service into a good game and you're golden.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remakes are entire new games. It's like a reboot of a superhero franchise in some ways, and in those you recast the characters. If you're going to make a new game, design all the cast again and record all new lines, you might as well cast another actor.
source.gif

(sometimes you get someone that just NAILS it...)

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Remaster.

That is unless the remake would have the same characters. You cannot have Mass Effect with a different cast. Characters like Wrex, Liara, Garrus, Shepard and Anderson are what made Mass Effect what it was.

Oct 29, 2017
Remake... but I'm thinking limited things like a refresh of the menu interface and combat controls. I don't want a reimagining of the story. I like it the way it is.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
ME1 remake would be awesome. The loot system is a disaster in that game but I love everything else about it.

That being said, I really just want a trilogy remaster. Remake is more of a longshot.