• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want the Mass Effect series to be rereleased as a remake or a remaster?

• Remaster

Votes: 427 41.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 600 58.4%

• Total voters

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Remakes are entire new games. It's like a reboot of a superhero franchise in some ways, and in those you recast the characters. If you're going to make a new game, design all the cast again and record all new lines, you might as well cast another actor.
So you want to replace all the VAs in the games. Yea, I totally don't see EA ever doing this. I think they'd be more likely to try to get the old cast to record a few new lines than a new cast to record new lines plus all of the old ones.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
At this point and actual remake would be cool as fuck. The games had better shooting the more they carried on, but worse exploration. A remake that tries to get all those two right within a game, wih better gaphics, and with the character inteactions of 3, would be amazing.
And if we get to the point of remaking the whole trilogy, just write again the ending of 3, using some of the stuff from the dlcs, but everything better integrated, with better writting and some better endings for your choices.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 1 needs a remake.
Mass Effect 3 was already fixed with the citadel DLC, just add 3D animations to the patched endings and you have an excellent end to the trilogy.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the constant hope for a remaster of the trilogy, unless it's just people who don't have PCs. I can run ME 1-3 on my toaster laptop at max settings no problem. A remaster also is unlikely to have the mod support which greatly improves the ME3 experience especially.

Is everyone hoping that a remaster would have improvements beyond the PC version on max settings? Or are people thinking that EA would release the trilogy relatively cheaply with all dlc included (hard to believe that they would)?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
source.gif

(sometimes you get someone that just NAILS it...)

I don't follow.

So you want to replace all the VAs in the games. Yea, I totally don't see EA ever doing this. I think they'd be more likely to try to get the old cast to record a few new lines than a new cast to record new lines plus all of the old ones.

I don't see EA doing anything that has been said here. But that's not the question that the OP asked.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
A full remake would be a shit-ton of work, especially if they try to unify the experience between 1 and 2-3. Just remaster them and use those years of effort to make a better new Mass Effect game.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Mass Effect is a AAA franchise, and nobody would benefit more from a release of a combination of a reboot and new ideas than Mass Effect.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did a massive thread last year about why it's important that they actual DO remaster the games.

One of the reasons I mentioned it is something companies like Nintendo and Capcom have mentioned - that by going back and revisiting and recreating your original, beloved games, you walk away with a fresh and renewed understanding of what made those games beloved in the FIRST place. It not only renews interest in your franchises, reminds players why they were enjoyable at the time, but also paves the way for future installments and success.

Mass Effect is an era of it's own generation, remastering those games really doesn't do anything in regards to the "meh" dialogue, the superficial "choice" good/bad system that only rewards one side or the other, or the combat which wasn't even that great and would need a complete overhaul.

Mass Effect would need a complete remake in order to actually gain anything, and at that point there isn't much reason to remake the series only a single generation removed.

Such efforts would be best spent just making a new game.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60% of you are insane.

What in the world gives anyone who voted 'remake' the confidence in Bioware that they could even pull this off without fucking it up? Just remaster the games for current hardware and leave them alone, thanks. They're better than anything Bioware will ever make again, and we don't need them messing those up as well.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mass Effect is an era of it's own generation, remastering those games really doesn't do anything in regards to the "meh" dialogue, the superficial "choice" good/bad system that only rewards one side or the other, or the combat which wasn't even that great and would need a complete overhaul.

Mass Effect would need a complete remake in order to actually gain anything, and at that point there isn't much reason to remake the series only a single generation removed.

Such efforts would be best spent just making a new game.
By the time a remaster or remake would come out, I wager it'll be TWO generations back.

You can agree or disagree, but there's a reason people still routinely boot up this games. The dialogue isn't "meh"; it's still pretty awesome. The characters are awesome. The Paragon/Renegade stuff is limiting, yes, but also fun to explore on repeated playthroughs. The combat in the original game is, sure, clunky and I'd like it to be improved (something a remaster/remake could address).

But these aren't some archaic relics of the past. Mass Effect's interconnected, branching storytelling - even with some flaws - is still something almost no game series has successfully replicated. Having your character and choices carry over from game to game, having possibly you're entire party DIE on you from your decisions - all of this stuff remains riveting. I've played the games countless times and I still come across dialogue I've never seen or heard before or options I didn't know exists.

And for a remaster or remake, there was a LOT on the cutting room floor. PC gamers, for instance, have enabled the ability to recruit any party member in any order in Mass Effect 2, and their conversations and interactions are all there in the data. You want to bring Tali with you to save Garrus? You can. You want to bring Thane with you to get Mordin? That's in there. Enabling that would open up even MORE replayability.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
By the time a remaster or remake would come out, I wager it'll be TWO generations back.

You can agree or disagree, but there's a reason people still routinely boot up this games. The dialogue isn't "meh"; it's still pretty awesome. The characters are awesome. The Paragon/Renegade stuff is limiting, yes, but also fun to explore on repeated playthroughs. The combat in the original game is, sure, clunky and I'd like it to be improved (something a remaster/remake could address).

But these aren't some archaic relics of the past. Mass Effect's interconnected, branching storytelling - even with some flaws - is still something almost no game series has successfully replicated. Having your character and choices carry over from game to game, having possibly you're entire party DIE on you from your decisions - all of this stuff remains riveting. I've played the games countless times and I still come across dialogue I've never seen or heard before or options I didn't know exists.

And for a remaster or remake, there was a LOT on the cutting room floor. PC gamers, for instance, have enabled the ability to recruit any party member in any order in Mass Effect 2, and their conversations and interactions are all there in the data. You want to bring Tali with you to save Garrus? You can. You want to bring Thane with you to get Mordin? That's in there. Enabling that would open up even MORE replayability.

Very well said. I like you very much.

And I think there is no series like Mass Effect out there. The level of connection between the game is something else compared to any other RPG, even if as individual games they could offer more variation in the narrative.

Oct 31, 2017
Remakes for all games, especially the first one.

And I think there is no series like Mass Effect out there. The level of connection between the game is something else compared to any other RPG, even if as individual games they could offer more variation in the narrative.

I felt that the choices you make in ME don't have that much impact in the sequels (that one at the end of the game being the exception).

From what I read, it seems like the Banner Saga did exactly what I was expecting Bioware to do in ME.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remakes for all games, especially the first one.

I felt that the choices you make in ME don't have that much impact in the sequels (that one at the end of the game being the exception).

From what I read, it seems like the Banner Saga did exactly what I was expecting Bioware to do in ME.
They both do and do not. Some things mattered more than others, but many choices DID have long-term consequences. Everyone rags on Mass Effect 3 (with often valid reasons) for things like making Udina the counselor regardless, but NOBODY could have predicted how your random actions throughout ME1, 2, and 3 could culminate in the the final quest involving Conrad Verner.

There's crazy things in ME3 most people never see. Did you befriend Wrex, keep him alive, help him all throughout ME3 and sabotage the cure at the last second hoping he wouldn't notice? He discovers this and confronts you in a fight to the death about your betrayal. Most players never will see this. Did you choose Morinth over Samara? Morinth is actually in ME3 as a late-gate converted Banshee. Did you fail to help Jack with her demons or fail to answer her SOS in ME3? Cerberus naps her and you discover they forcefully brainwashed her into a Cerberus Phantom. Or how you can refuse romance in all of the games all the way up to Mass Effect 3... and have a drunken one-night stand with Javik. Etc.

All that stuff may not be as big as some of the choices, but it's interesting to see them pan out.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A big part of that is that they had to design ME2 as an entry point for new players as it was the first game under EA and was released for the PS3 long before the PS3 recieved a port of the first game.

Jan 4, 2018
I think that Mass Effect 1 would need a remake because combat doesn't really hold up. ME1 has the richest world and atmosphere but is really weak as a game.

If people buy an updated trilogy re-release then they're going to play ME1 first, so I think it's important to make sure it feels good.

Oct 31, 2017
And I'm not familiar with the Banner Saga, but it's not an AAA series I take.

Nope, it isn't.

A big part of that is that they had to design ME2 as an entry point for new players as it was the first game under EA and was released for the PS3 long before the PS3 recieved a port of the first game.

Indeed, even though we did get that comics thing that lets you take the big decisions before playing 2.

They would be able to fix a lot of things with remakes.

They both do and do not. Some things mattered more than others, but many choices DID have long-term consequences. Everyone rags on Mass Effect 3 (with often valid reasons) for things like making Udina the counselor regardless, but NOBODY could have predicted how your random actions throughout ME1, 2, and 3 could culminate in the the final quest involving Conrad Verner.

There's crazy things in ME3 most people never see. Did you befriend Wrex, keep him alive, help him all throughout ME3 and sabotage the cure at the last second hoping he wouldn't notice? He discovers this and confronts you in a fight to the death about your betrayal. Most players never will see this. Did you choose Morinth over Samara? Morinth is actually in ME3 as a late-gate converted Banshee. Did you fail to help Jack with her demons or fail to answer her SOS in ME3? Cerberus naps her and you discover they forcefully brainwashed her into a Cerberus Phantom. Or how you can refuse romance in all of the games all the way up to Mass Effect 3... and have a drunken one-night stand with Javik. Etc.

All that stuff may not be as big as some of the choices, but it's interesting to see them pan out.

Some of those are great but that's not enough in my book. I'd go as far as to say ME3 needs a remake AND a reimagine while the first two need remakes.

OzPrime

Oct 29, 2017
Dream answer (where money is no object) would be to remake all 3 with the Andromeda engine.
Given that's probably NOT going to happen, remaster them in 4k/60fps using the PC mods (MEUITM for example) as a baseline for how it CAN look. If they want to be extra saucy, they can overhaul the UI/Inventory in ME1. That has always been a clunky mess.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Remake. No amount of visual upgrades can improve ME1's combat. The ME trilogy is one of the all time greats in all of video games imo, everything bar the ending is superb and the journey is more than good enough to look passed it. ME1 has my favorite story of the 3, but that combat is awful. The game is so good that I can look passed that major flaw. If they remade it and fixed that, I'd probably never stop replaying it.

UA_LVIV

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I'm not a fan of ME3, but ME2 is pretty much a perfect game as far as I'm concerned. So remaster seems like a safer bet.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remake with a different ending.

I want the game to end with a huge fucking battle that makes sense story-wise and that displays and showcases all the support i got during the three games especially the colourful depictions that we got in ME3 like the Elcor Tanks and Jack's Biotic Army and shit.

I want the choices of all the games to influence the outcome of a final battle.

Or, I want the indoctrination theory to be real and we get a new game after someone brakes Sheppars indoctrination.
But i'd the prefer the first option.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
ME1 needs a complete remake, new combat controls, new Mako worlds, romance options that go through all the games.

ME3 needs to bring back the hacking mini games and not tie in the multiplayer to the single player.

Look at what worked well and what didn't and go from there.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Remake them, and have the ending of ME3 be an Andromeda style single ending - so one outcome (preferably one that doesn't fuck over the setting like the original one) that reflects the choices the player has made to that point.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
surprised by the amount of "remakes", I always thought it was obvious it would be a remaster.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
A remake would have to be made on Frostbite, so I'll take a remaster.

Besides, I want each game with their original combat, not a fan of ME:A's combat.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I would settle for a Remaster with all the DLC.

A Remake where they overhaul all 3 games with a new engine and tweak the story would be pretty badass. A leveling and combat system that applies to all 3 games and a more fleshed out character creator.
After replaying the trilogy last year I personally I think the leveling system from ME1 was the best, ME2 had the best "force powers" (i forget what they call them) and ME3 had the best gunplay and cover system.

Added bonus would be an updated multiplayer game like ME3 had. I still remember people buying ME3 just for the multiplayer.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust Bioware to do a full remake. I'd be happy with a remaster with performance smoothing personally.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to do a visual remake in the veins of Crash Bandicoot and Shadow of the Colossus. Keep the gameplay identical but also don't just release it at a higher resolution and framerate. A real remake would mean plenty of gameplay changes and I don't see that working out too well right now.

All the three games with completely remade graphics but no changes to the gameplay except for some QoL - that would be perfect.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Remaking a game like Mass Effect sounds like way too big of a project, something like what Bluepoint seems to be working on right now, and I don't think any of the Mass Effect games warrant a remake except for maybe the first one, and honestly, a remastered version of ME1 with reworked shooting and cover mechanics will suffice. Just remaster them and be done with that, I'll be more than happy to replay the series even with the slightest upgrades.

Oct 30, 2017
They should have given ME1-3 remaster to the studio that made Andromeda first before giving them a whole game. Give it the Halo MC Collection type of platform to unify the experience. Once that's done give them Andromeda. As much as I want a remake(not a reboot, thats a wholly different thing), thats not due for another 10-15years.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I want to update the OP with the following pros and cons of both

The pros of having a remaster is that it could done much more quickly, and would be on the market for this and next gen much sooner. The con is that because it's running on an older engine, there is very little difference that can probably be made to the original Xbox 360 render.

The pros of having a remake means the series gets a true, royal treatment which can really invigorate interest in the series again, as Mass Effect "Kiwami" would essentially have the looks of a brand new game. The con is that development would therefore take much longer and cost more. But hey, this would mean we're getting a next gen Mass Effect.

This is the thread I referenced before