• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want the Mass Effect series to be rereleased as a remake or a remaster?

• Remaster

Votes: 427 41.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 600 58.4%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remake. The entire trilogy needs to be overhauled on a new engine. The animations especially need to be redone from scratch.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Remake.

Rebuild using Andromeda engine, update the models, animations and tweak combat for each games. Fix the ending for 3. Saga will be perfect after that. I'd buy instantly.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Remake 1 using the basic engine and mechanics of MEs 2 and 3 (or Andromeda, I'm good either way) and remaster the other two (which already play great) so that all three look and play consistent and modern. As for ME2/3 vs ME:A. I definitely enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay of ME:A the most (shooting, traversal, powers, combos), but it lost some stuff from MEs 2/3. I forget what, exactly. More granular control over squadmates, perhaps? I know it was something that I remember feeling it was a step back relative to 2 and 3. Undo that, and the ME:A engine/mechanics would be a perfect foundation for a modernization of the ME Trilogy.

Assuming they don't fuck up the animations and shit again, of course.

If they REALLY want to go all out, they should seamlessly integrate all DLCs into each game's critical path, nix ME2's human Reaper bullshit for something... anything different (and hopefully better), and rewrite a lot of ME3. Make your choices from 1 and 2 have way more consequences than just bumping up these numbers over those numbers. Have ME3 culminate in a massive fucking battle that actually plays out around you (and that you participate in instead of that shitshow of a final mission), where the choices you made in 1, 2, and earlier in 3 have serious consequences to the reworked final act, and a whole new set of endings that aren't all batshit stupid.

It's funny. ME1's lore and overall narrative are by far my favorite of the original trilogy. But ME2 and ME3 are way, way, way more fun to actually play. So's Andromeda, for that matter.

ME1 and ME3 need the most work, though, IMO. 1 from a mechanics and gameplay perspective, and 3 needs an entirely new third act to close out the game and trilogy.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Either remake the game or remaster it and add more than the same 6 boring hairstyles for women that look like someone melted candle wax on their heads.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I don't care, as long as they fix the trilogy ending. A remaster would be smart though: now the skeleton of the trilogy is there, they could expand upon the choices carrying over and having real consequences thing that never really got to take shape in the original games.

But genuinely, just fix the ending.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Remake ME1 with improved controls, gunplay, inventory, menus, etc.(Keep story and characters the same) ME2 and ME3 could be fine with just a remaster.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of the trilogy, poll is lacking a "neither" option. The originals still play great, why do we need this?

People don't want to have their PS3s or 360s hooked up in 2020. People like to play games at 4K and 60 rather than 720p and 25ish. ME2 and 3 have $50 worth of DLC each and no GOTY versions. The PC versions need mods to even support controllers. Most people's PC libraries are going to be split between ME1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on Origin. A re-release creates a community of people replaying, or playing for the first time, which leads to shared experiences, togetherness, memes, some small spark of joy in an otherwise miserable existence.

Plenty of reasons to do it, zero reason not to.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A "remake", but not a Resident Evil or Resident Evil 2 style remake, just a port to a new engine (whatever's being developed for the next ME game) and the minimum that follows from that, but not new music/voice acting/redesigned characters/reworked maps/new encounters/etc.

A "remaster" in the sense of an uprezzed/texture filtered port is not it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I'm gonna go ahead and vote "remaster". More specifically, remasters by another studio with some QOL nip-tucks similar to what Demiurge did with the PC version of Mass Effect 1 (they completely redesigned the UI from scratch).

I don't trust modern BioWare to completely remake Mass Effect. All three original games have issues, but gameplay-wise 2 and 3 are far less interesting than 1, and I'm afraid a remake of 1 would just be "streamlined" in the image of the other two.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
A remake would be dope. But i really just want to play them all again so i'll take either. New head canon bluepoint is remaking all 3 mass effect games

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Remake for ME1 given how poorly the gameplay aged. Remaster for ME2 and ME3 would be totally sufficient. I vividly remember RDR1 on Xbox One in 4K. That's more than good enough quality even today.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Even a quick polish of all 3 at this point, making them higher res with a locked 60 and selling them all in a package would do me.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Remake would be disappointing for me. If you're already gonna spend the money, at this point just make a new one/reboot the franchise. The games aren't THAT old so it wouldn't even be a REmake or FF7 type moment.

Remaster is like whatever, I already own the PC versions.

EA need to stop being cowards and realize they still have something with tons of potential here imo.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If it's a remake, they need to put Mako exploration in 2 and 3.
Every time I read this I legitimately want to tear my hair out. I can't be the only one that thought the Mako gameplay is probably the absolute lowest point of the entire trilogy. What aspect of it is enjoyable? It controls like a flaming tractor driving through Gorilla Glue, there's little to no exploration to speak of, and the combat is basically waiting for guns to cool down and hammering the torpedo button.

It's great as a concept; the implementation is utterly terrible. Give me dialogue. Give me shooting. Give me anything but the Mako. There will always be a sub-sect of ME fans who prefer ME1, and I get that, but ME2/3 were so much better for its inclusion. In fact, that ME2 DLC with the Firewalker vehicle gave me PTSD flashbacks.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I just want them to redo the ending of 3 and go with the indoctronation theroy and make maurader shields a recuitable ally, he was trying to warn us!

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Remaking 3 games is a pretty enormous undertaking but it would be amazing. Chances of it happening are next to nil.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Remaster for me. A remake will take way too long; and it will be a whole new game. A remake risks the series becoming something completely different which many may dislike even more than the originals. I want to replay the series as they were when I first played them, with some well deserved improvements and updates added.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She is. But as I metioned, if we are talking Remake than we should recast everybody. Just like movies.
Movies keep a lot of the best actors for reboots and remakes.
B23_05749_Gallery-640x441.png

shang-tsung-in-mortal-kombat-legacy-season-2-debut-trailer.jpg

J-Jonah-Jameson-Spider-Man-Far-From-Home.jpg

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
being selfish as mostly a PC gamer a remaster is not needed (for the most part) and a remake could be great if it respected the original games,

but yeah, a remaster on the current consoles would be welcome, and even on PC a package with all DLC and native controller support would be good.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In both James Bond and Spiderman the lead was changed though. Regardless, if they want to keep actors they can, it's not like they are forced to do anything. I'm only saying what I would like, and why I don't think recasting would be unthinkable.
It actually is, because they have all the sound files already recorded and saved to their database in high quality, which is over 40,000 lines of dialogue in ME3 alone, not even including the other two games. To re-record even Shepard's dialogue - and to just go over the same lines - would be a catastrophically expensive endeavor for a remaster or budget-conscious remake and, more importantly, an unnecessary one still those voice tracks are already done by a professional. Hiring a MORE expensive voice talent to do them all over would involve flying that celebrity out to the sound booth for literally months and months of grueling voice work. Even professional voice actors like Kevin Conroy will tell you how difficult it can be.

"Thirty-Six thousand lines of dialogue in Arkham Knight. Thirty-six thousand lines of dialogue," he emphatically said. "And you record them line after line after line, alone, because with the science of how the game is built, they have to have everything completely clean and separate. So you're alone for days at a time, eight hours a day, line after line after line, trying to keep the character fresh, trying to keep the line readings fresh, trying to keep your voice in the right place. And doing it all with no feedback from Mark Hamill, or Diedrich Bader, or any other actors. You're doing it alone! It's so hard. By the end of the week, I'm just dead. And it's not as fulfilling as acting in the episodic shows, because those are like little plays, you have interaction with the other actors and it's so much fun. Games, the fulfillment is in seeing the games at the end, because they're fantastic. They're beautiful works of art, and you feel so proud to be a part of them. But the actual process of building them is brutal."

It's a logistical, financial, and unnecessary nightmare to scrap all the work they've already done just to grab a more-expensive voice replacement to redo all that arduous work. And keep in mind, this stuff is exhausting with TRAINED voice actors, so grabbing someone else not experienced with this medium or process would require training as well. Even celebrities who do voices in movies typically only record less than 50 lines for their films - not upwards of 40,000+.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It actually is, because they have all the sound files already recorded and saved to their database in high quality, which is over 40,000 lines of dialogue in ME3 alone, not even including the other two games. To re-record even Shepard's dialogue - and to just go over the same lines - would be a catastrophically expensive endeavor for a remaster or budget-conscious remake and, more importantly, an unnecessary one still those voice tracks are already done by a professional. Hiring a MORE expensive voice talent to do them all over would involve flying that celebrity out to the sound booth for literally months and months of grueling voice work. Even professional voice actors like Kevin Conroy will tell you how difficult it can be.

But then we are talking about two different things. When I think I remake, I think recording every single line again, writing every single dialogue from scratch, even if you have an idea where to go.

You also talking about something else when mentioning the viability of such a project. In my original post I only mentioned what my dream would be, not what I think is the most likely nor the most viable. Because to those question my answer would be different.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remake. But not a reimagining. I want the same story. Same characters. Same gameplay. I just want the animations, lip sync, models, assets, textures etc all to be current gen. Basically give it the Crash Trilogy treatment.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If you trust Bioware to remake Mass Effect, you must not have been paying attention.

Any changes made would 100% be for the worst.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But then we are talking about two different things. When I think I remake, I think recording every single line again, writing every single dialogue from scratch, even if you have a direction where to go.

You also talking about something else when mentioning the viability of such a project. In my original post I only mentioned what my dream would be, not what I think is the most likely nor the most viable. Because to those question my answer would be different.
True, if time and price were no object, I'd ask for pie-in-the-sky ideas too (like mo-capping every conversation to look more fluid).

But a lot of remakes lately keep the original dialogue or lines. Spyro Re-Ignited kept the original lines but did re-record them with Spyro 2's voice actor for consistency and clarity. Twin Snakes kept all its original lines and re-recorded them with most of the original cast to take advantage of new Dolby sound techniques. Star Fox 64 3D kept the same lines, but used new voice work because the original files were ancient and too compressed. Resident Evil Remakes redid the lines and voice work because the originals were compressed and, admittedly, poorly written and voiced the first time.

There were technical and logistical benefits to redoing dialogue in these remakes, but if it wasn't broken they were kept. Almost every game made before the PS2 generation suffered from limited audio software and compressed files to fit on to small storage mediums. After that, with DVD-quality discs, audio quality was boosted considerably and most of these found files can be safely used for remasters and remakes. Shadow of the Colossus's ethereal dialogue is ripped from the original game (but mixed a bit differently). All the Uncharted stuff was simply polished up for the Nathan Drake Collection remasters.

I do wish they had found a better sound file for things like Final Fantasy XII though, because its remastered audio is still quite poor, even if it's a tad better than the PS2 original.

If price was no concern though and I could hire ANYBODY to be Commander Shepard's voice... I'd still pick Jennifer Hale. That woman could read the phone book and make it sound badass.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
True, if time and price were no object, I'd ask for pie-in-the-sky ideas too (like mo-capping every conversation to look more fluid).

But a lot of remakes lately keep the original dialogue or lines. Spyro Re-Ignited kept the original lines but did re-record them with Spyro 2's voice actor for consistency and clarity. Twin Snakes kept all its original lines and re-recorded them with most of the original cast to take advantage of new Dolby sound techniques. Star Fox 64 3D kept the same lines, but used new voice work because the original files were ancient and too compressed. Resident Evil Remakes redid the lines and voice work because the originals were compressed and, admittedly, poorly written and voiced the first time.

There were technical and logistical benefits to redoing dialogue in these remakes, but if it wasn't broken they were kept. Almost every game made before the PS2 generation suffered from limited audio software and compressed files to fit on to small storage mediums. After that, with DVD-quality discs, audio quality was boosted considerably and most of these found files can be safely used for remasters and remakes. Shadow of the Colossus's ethereal dialogue is ripped from the original game (but mixed a bit differently). All the Uncharted stuff was simply polished up for the Nathan Drake Collection remasters.

I do wish they had found a better sound file for things like Final Fantasy XII though, because its remastered audio is still quite poor, even if it's a tad better than the PS2 original.

If price was no concern though and I could hire ANYBODY to be Commander Shepard's voice... I'd still pick Jennifer Hale. That woman could read the phone book and make it sound badass.

It depends how much the remake follows the original. It would probably be harder to keep original lines for REmake 2 than REmake or, for example. Although if you judge for the quality of the original voice work the opposite might be true. I wouldn't even consider those examples you gave remakes, only big remasters.

I do think, being more practical, that is a better fit for Mass Effect though.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) A Bluepoint-esque quality remake (I don't trust this)
2) Give the license to someone else for them to make a "New Vegas" kind of title (I also don't trust this lol)
3) Remaster (Safe)

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Remake and completely redo the ending so that it is nothing like the one we got.

It's kinda crazy that across all the entire trilogy, the most glaring and overwhelming flaw was the final 45 or so minutes of the last game, and yet they were so bad that in spite of all the amazing memories I have with the trilogy it's one of the first things that comes to mind when I think about it.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Mass effects games are so old, im pretty sure there is a good amount of mods for each game amirite? what are the best , do you guys know?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Remaster the first one, don't give a shit about the others.

I don't want a remake of the first because I know they would inevitably fuck it up and turn it into a shallow third person shooter.
right?

remake mass effect 2 and 3 to be like 1 and we're good

Actually yeah do this. Take another hard look at Mako exploration and then reimplement it into ME2 and 3.

animations, lip sync,

The problem with things like animation and lip sync in a game like Mass Effect is the huge number of lines in the game compared to a regular action adventure game. Sure they can hand animate some, but a lot are still going to be automatically handled by a procedural system and never touched by human hands, or maybe be a mix. Witcher 3 might still be the game that handles this the best, and in the end it uses really the same method as Mass Effect, just a more advanced form of it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually yeah do this. Take another hard look at Mako exploration and then reimplement it into ME2 and 3.

The problem with things like animation and lip sync in a game like Mass Effect is the huge number of lines in the game compared to a regular action adventure game. Sure they can hand animate some, but a lot are still going to be automatically handled by a procedural system and never touched by human hands, or maybe be a mix. Witcher 3 might still be the game that handles this the best, and in the end it uses really the same method as Mass Effect, just a more advanced form of it.

That's fine. I'm not asking for ND level here. Just something noticeably better. And the procedural systems are way better now than they were back then. Hell. Half life 2 had a better system than whatever the hell mass effect used lol.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of the trilogy, poll is lacking a "neither" option. The originals still play great, why do we need this?
The "neither" option is not being in the conversation of the thread, because the question of the thread isn't about whether there should be a rerelease or not. The OG trilogy will always be there, it's not going anywhere, so if you do not want it, you don't need to go around asking people who do want a release why they want it