• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Which feels wrong to me. This is a part of gaming culture. We need to be face to face with this reality. Gotta sanitize this situation? Just focus on the games? Why have threads about game devs doing bad things but shootings brought about within the gaming community gets censored to this side? I'm sort of mad about this decision. We need to own up to this shit, not hide it.

It really doesn't matter which side gets the thread as far as views go - if anything, Off Topic has more discussion. The scope of this thread will become more political than gaming as more people have an option on the sociological aspect of this tragedy than having any insight into the Madden culture or even Madden as a game.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the victims of this tragedy

God please don't let this become an ongoing thing with community gatherings

Pardon me for raising the question, why wouldn't it be?

This is the same country that sees shootings in churches, in schools, in company buildings, and theaters, to name just a few that come to my awareness.

Why wouldn't gun violence and the proliferation of firearms not infest where people gather? I mean, look at this graph from 2018 to today...

DljCWMSXsAAVbIs.jpg

If we looked at the country as a body, and the red as a disease, there's a metastasized situation afoot.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which feels wrong to me. This is a part of gaming culture. We need to be face to face with this reality. Gotta sanitize this situation? Just focus on the games? Why have threads about game devs doing bad things but shootings brought about within the gaming community gets censored to this side? I'm sort of mad about this decision. We need to own up to this shit, not hide it.

To be frank, I'm not sure if the gaming side, generally speaking, can handle something like this properly. When it comes to social issues, gaming'a toxic side really comes out so I think it's better to just stay here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The horrible thing about this besides the fact it happened is you know some people will say it could have been prevented if more people had guns because that's obviously the solution.

Indeed. Actually, the 2 most stupids arguments will hear will be the 2 following :

1. If people had guns, this would have been avoided -_-

2. This happened because of violent videogames such as Call of Duty -_-

This will be FOX News tune for the next few days...

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That video isn't NSFW, it's NSFL. Mother of god that was brutal.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And it's a shame because there are so many responsible gun owners who just have a pistol or something and live in a more rural area where they protect themselves.

Then these weirdos make you all look dangerous or nuts. Like before I ever handled a gun I went through so many classes about safety and still don't have a concealed license

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a way, I don't regret watching that. With that happening in such a tight space and hearing the reactions... I feel the argument to ban guns really has more weight to it. That was horrible, the second amendment shouldn't exist. Access to mass murder is not a basic human right.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
It is. You americans just need to ban GUNS. And Trump.

I don't know how anyone can buy guns freely in this era. I haven't seen one in my entire life (only police).
I'm not American, I actually know what it's like to live in a country where I feel safe in a public space.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck every single person that owns a gun. You are part of the fucking problem.
Come on man, these blanket statements don't do any good for any one. I own a gun, but I'm fully for gun control laws, and I'm a liberal who never takes the gun anywhere. It is purely for home defense and it stays locked up in an extremely secure location in my home. All gun nuts are crazy yes, but not all gun owners are gun nuts.

Christ that video is fucking harrowing. That audio left me shivering. What was the deal with the shooter, has any information been revealed about him yet?

Between this and the Pokémon event that almost got hit, I'm successfully scared off of public events completely. The country has lost its mind apparently, and I'm not risking my daughter getting caught up in this type of horrible tragedy. I know they say terror wins when you do that, but fuck it I guess it won because I'm terrified for my little girl's safety, and apparently no amount of tragedies will ever convince our politicians that the issue needs to be addressed, so my only recourse is to keep my daughter out of events like this. She wants to go to Comic Con next year too, but I don't know what the hell is safe anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is.

It may not be 100% effective. But anything over 0% is a net gain.

You can't seriously believe the bullshit you're spewing here. No one could possibly be that ignorant.
Security theater doesn't detect or stop terrorists or shooters. Reporting from concerned citizens, detective work do.

Security theater makes you feel safe without making you safe.

There have been actual studies on this.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If any NRA aligned politician has the audacity to say that this is a security problem as opposed to the obvious, then they should show the receipts and foot the entire bill for the whole state themselves

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't matter which side gets the thread as far as views go - if anything, Off Topic has more discussion. The scope of this thread will become more political than gaming as more people have an option on the sociological aspect of this tragedy than having any insight into the Madden culture or even Madden as a game.

There are a lot of people that never cross over subforums.

To be frank, I'm not sure if the gaming side, generally speaking, can handle something like this properly. When it comes to social issues, gaming'a toxic side really comes out so I think it's better to just stay here.

That's exactly why it should be there. The immaturity and social problems in the broader gaming community runs deep. They need to be face to face with the consequences.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Absolutely tragic. How many shootings are we at this year alone? "We will do everything in our power" yada yada bullshit, you'll do nothing

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was Sunday in America.

I keep thinking that I'll eventually get desensitized to this bullshit, but I never do. These guys were doing something as innocuous as playing in a video game tournament and now they're dead. Gone. Just like that. Hopes, dreams, future plans... evaporated into nothingness.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Is there really no topic on gaming side? All gamers should be aware of this happening. No one's safe and toxic gaming culture is a serious problem. It feels sanitized having it only be on this side.
One man's toxicity is another man's fun trash talk.

I'm on the anti-toxicity side, but it does suck if that debate is decided through this asshole's grievances and fears of being shot and killed.

Assuming it is a player that did it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Security theater doesn't detect or stop terrorists or shooters. Reporting from concerned citizens, detective work do.

There have been actual studies on this.
Fucking wrong. Jesus.

"Security theater" is never 100% theater. Is some airport security a bit too much? Possibly. Does that mean we should get rid of the metal detectors and just allow people to carry firearms on airplanes? NO. WTF.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Which can actual make you more unsafe cus it can prevent people from taking actions that will actually be effective. It's not too bad with airports cus we have a big security information network in place, that actually does work. US doesn't have that same protection in place against gun shootings.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
What's especially horrifying is that even if common sense suddenly prevailed after all this time, it'd be mostly too late. 3d printers are only going to be more available, and you can't regulate people downloading illegal blueprints of dark web.

This isn't some "gun control is uselss" pro-gun statement, regulations are still needed, it's just, with each passing year they are going to be less effective, even if implemented. The environement for this stuff has already been cultivated.
This is where I have been for a while, I'm for gun control but its such a short term solution. 3D printers aren't going to get worse, more expensive, and harder to use.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
America is only place where those shootings happen on such a consistent and tragic basis. I hope Americans citizens will fight for more rigorous gun laws. I mean how long gun supporters are going to deny the link between 300 millions guns in circulation in the country and those tragedies... Very sad that this affects the gaming community in that fashion :(

6be.gif
There's nothing wrong with the post's writing, but the sad emoticon and Zelda gif kinda rub me the wrong way here.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Whilst I see your stance, I feel the opposite. Everyone in America should have to watch the video.

It's shocking, but that's good, people need to be shocked, they need to be scared, they need to be inspired to act.

I see your point, and I agree, but it's one of the most shocking things I've ever seen. It left me literally shivering.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Mexican immigrant killed a white girl? White House posts video on why there should be stricter immigration laws.

A mass shooter who's white? White House: oh well

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The screams of agony in that video are horrifying.

This is horrible. USA, how many more will it take? For fuck's sake.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing "Thoughts and Prayers" in these politician's tweets. Have they stopped doing that in reaction to these events? With the Florida primary in two days this might lead to some change, or at least more voices on record. We need serious gun control now!

Also, a couple of people have asked and I haven't seen it answered. What is "tilt"? Google isn't helpful. Is it playing emotionally during a losing streak or something? A poker term?