• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I don't even bother clicking on most of these threads anymore. There's just no benefit for me to read about the tragedies that occur, and this is probably the last time I'll be clicking on this thread or any other. This isn't apathy in the "well it's a lost cause we can't change it" kind of way, but it is more of an admission that reading these stories just bums me out (to put it lightly), and I'd rather focus my energy on trying to get politicians elected that'll crack down harder and harder on criminals, gun manufacturers, gun laws, etc.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This festival supposedly had a heavy police presence and still was able to inflict carnage. While I'm sure it helped in preventing it from being worse, it still doesn't hit the raw fact that you have a "good guy" with a gun at location and still can't stop multiple people being shot in seconds with modern firearms. Just horrible for all those involved, especially that boy's family. RIP.

If Trump really believed that more guns kept us safer and that good guys with a gun is how you stop bad guys with a gun, then why doesn't he let everybody bring guns to his rallies? IT'll be alright, if a bad guy starts trouble, all the good guys will stop him, right? So obvious.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
There's rarely a second shooter in these mass shooting events. I wonder what they have that has law enforcement convinced there may have been a 2nd shooter.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The shooter entered the packed festival by cutting through a fence, police said. The festival had tight security, including metal detectors.

Good thing we're building miles of fence along the border to keep "bad people" out! I'm glad this fucking country isn't insanely backwards and totally has all its priorities straight!

I'm heartbroken for the family that lost their little boy. This shouldn't happen. Ever. I'm so sick of it all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's getting to the point in which any mass gathering one goes to in the US may have some random white guy shoot it up.

Don't expect gun laws to change so long as almost half the country is too stupid to vote for good politicians. After that heinous live streaming event in NZ I fear it's only going to get worse. I truly fear coordinated shootings by groups of white guys buying into the alt-right / nazi / men's rights bullshit is going to eventually replace the regular mass shootings in this country.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Literally the same song and dance as every other time, down to the same type of person being the shooter.

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting to the point in which any mass gathering one goes to in the US may have some random white guy shoot it up.

Don't expect gun laws to change so long as almost half the country is too stupid to vote for good politicians. After that heinous live streaming event in NZ I fear it's only going to get worse. I truly fear coordinated shootings by groups of white guys buying into the alt-right / nazi / men's rights bullshit is going to eventually replace the regular mass shootings in this country.

Its not a random white guy. It's not some lone wolf. It's decades, and especially in the last 10 years because of the internet, of overtly increasing right wing propaganda(racism/bigotry/etc) that is not being stopped.

As long as nothing is actually done towards republicans/alt-right/Nazis(speaking solely about the USA) these right wing terrorists are only going to become more frequent. The GOP can play dumb and give thoughts and prayers, but at the end of the day, they are terrorist breeders. No different than the ruling class in a country like Saudi Arabia that everybody knows actively supports terrorism, but nobody does anything because $$$.

At some point something is going to give and shit is going to get a lot worse before it ever gets better.

Magni

It's always too late. Unless the shooter somehow misses there will always be a body count before it's stopped.

Which is why laws that would restrict access to large caliber/high velocity ammunition (only legitimite civilian usage is big game hunting?), ban high rate of fire weapons (no legitimate civilian usage that I can think of?) and ban anything bigger than small magazines (maybe 4 rounds is enough for hunters and target shooters?) would have a big impact. You can only react once someone has started shooting, but there's a big difference between someone having had the time to fire four .22LR bullets or a full thirty 5.56mm rounds. Those bans would need to be retroactive with a buyback of course.

There's rarely a second shooter in these mass shooting events. I wonder what they have that has law enforcement convinced there may have been a 2nd shooter.

Unless I'm mistaken, they're investigating a second individual, not a second shooter specifically. Could have been someone who drove them there or helped them get in for example.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Its not a random white guy. It's not some lone wolf. It's decades, and especially in the last 10 years because of the internet, of overtly increasing right wing propaganda(racism/bigotry/etc) that is not being stopped.

As long as nothing is actually done towards republicans/alt-right/Nazis(speaking solely about the USA) these right wing terrorists are only going to become more frequent. The GOP can play dumb and give thoughts and prayers, but at the end of the day, they are terrorist breeders. No different than the ruling class in a country like Saudi Arabia that everybody knows actively supports terrorism, but nobody does anything because $$$.

At some point something is going to give and shit is going to get a lot worse before it ever gets better.

Oh I agree, I am just saying random can be anyone. The guy you've worked with for years but never said anything crazy or racist at work. The teenager that lives across the street that seems perfectly normal but goes on 4chan and Stormfront and complains about n-words and spics every night and has easy access to an AR-15.

And yes, the GOP deserves a large part of the blame.

Oct 27, 2017
fucking sad. This shit is always in the back of my mind anytime we think about going to a public event. It's just too easy to get shot by a lunatic with a gun in this country.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
This cunts first name means little saint in Italian.

Wonder if he has some Latino heritage or is just Italian Latin.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
We're hiring and I just had someone call and cancel their interview today because they were at the Garlic Festival and their friend was shot and they've been at the hospital all night. So terrible.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Question about the second shooter thing: at most of these events almost always a "second shooter was spotted". I wonder if this happens due to the panic and confusion, that you get suspicious of others, or does this go back to Columbine where there were 2 shooters that worked together?

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the second shooter thing: at most of these events almost always a "second shooter was spotted". I wonder if this happens due to the panic and confusion, that you get suspicious of others, or does this go back to Columbine where there were 2 shooters that worked together?

It's usually just the confusion, and people seeing more threats than there are.

Oct 25, 2017

Often can be as simple as mistaking a police officer in tactical gear (like not in a quickly identifiable uniform) responding as a second shooter in a fleeting glances as you are fleeing/hiding.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's usually just the confusion, and people seeing more threats than there are.

Often can be as simple as mistaking a police officer in tactical gear (like not in a quickly identifiable uniform) responding as a second shooter in a fleeting glances as you are fleeing/hiding.

Yeah that's kind of what I thought, especially in this case since an officer did fire shots.

Stinks that sometimes this second person thing creates a bunch of conspiracy theories or whatever. I remember people talking about that stuff during the Vegas shooting :/

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Fucking heartbreaking and infuriating. I'm absolutely disgusted with this country and it's obsession with gun culture. People are dying but they don't give a fuck because "mah gunz."

I'm also not looking forward to the "he was mentally ill" brigade coming out of the woodworks to downplay the fact that this guy was more than likely just a piece of shit who wanted to kill as many people as he could, and we have a serious gun problem in this country. Not to mention a racist president that emboldens people with hateful views to act out in this way.

My heart truly goes out to the victims and their loved ones. I don't even know what else to say.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This cunts first name means little saint in Italian.

Wonder if he has some Latino heritage or is just Italian Latin.
He identified as an Italian Iranian. The stupid shit this guy has posted makes him seem like your typical angry teen edge-lord. Most of it is quotes from anarchists. One of the people at the fair apparently asked him why he was doing this and he said, "Because I'm angry.". Boohoo little angry loser.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Wow there are some incredibly dense AF MAGA twitter posts trying to say a white supremist wouldn't shoot up people smh. Disgusting

I usually don't read Twitter posts because I know what to expect, but given that this hits close to home - I went against my better judgement and... there's some evil people out there.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
fucking sad. This shit is always in the back of my mind anytime we think about going to a public event. It's just too easy to get shot by a lunatic with a gun in this country.
Yeah, I really don't go to big gatherings without feeling an intense tinge of fear knowing how easy it would be for everything to end. A culture of overwhelming violence all the way to the top and all the way down to the bottom, from our military overreach to our militarized police forces to the ease with which anybody can pick up a weapon and decide to kill whomever they want will do that. But, y'know, what are you gonna do? You just have to deal with the fact that you might get shot and live your life.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Human life is important regardless of age but to lose 3(Not 4 since fuck the 19 year old bastard) young people that could have made a difference in society is awful. How brave are you to shoot at defenseless kids like that? What writing tells you to go after little kids?

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Iranian white supremacists O_o
People jumping to that conclusion aren't reading everything he posted. A lot of it is anti-white. The part being associated with white supremacy is from a book written in the 1800s that modern white supremacists appear to relate to, but it's a book about anarchy, which this asshole appeared to relate to. Although it's never surprising when anyone turns out to be a white supremacist nowadays. It appears to be the go-to move for disaffected edge-lord teens.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
People jumping to that conclusion aren't reading everything he posted. A lot of it is anti-white. The part being associated with white supremacy is from a book written in the 1800s that modern white supremacists appear to relate to, but it's a book about anarchy, which this asshole appeared to relate to. Although it's never surprising when anyone turns out to be a white supremacist nowadays. It appears to be the go-to move for disaffected edge-lord teens.
He gave credit and highlights a book that is supposedly Anti-Jewish/Anti-semitism in one of those instagram pictures.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
He gave credit and highlights a book that is supposedly Anti-Jewish/Anti-semitism in one of those instagram pictures.
He wrote: ""Read Might Is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. Why overcrowd towns and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white twats?"

For those unfamiliar, "mestizos" are mixed race individuals (usually reserved for people of European and Native American blood, but that appears to have changed lately). Not sure what a Silicon Valley White twat is aimed at. Liberals?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Man another shooting, I feel terrible for the victims.

this shit about guns needs to be solved asap. Raise the age for owning a gun, do mental health check ups, whatever it may be might keep these youngsters from committing this.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I had no idea there was so much interest in garlic
Gilroy is "world famous" for their garlic. You can smell it driving through. It's a really big deal in the agricultural section of central california.
Gilroy-CA.jpg