mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Would say I'm hoping for the best, but really I'm just hoping for the least bad result. Happening within some CNY festivities sucks

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
fuck, I grew up a few cities away so this feels pretty close to home....during festivities too. gdi

Sunspear

Sep 16, 2022
No. Please. Not another.
RIP to the victims. Really hoping for the most favourable outcome here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Fucking hell, why is our world like it is... My thoughts are with the victims.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
This hurts. Too close to home. I'm tired. I'm so fucking tired. I know this doesn't make it any better, but I'm praying it wasn't a targeted attack on Chinese Americans. I think we all know there is a high chance.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Fixed that for you. And it is because of guns.
Well the world is in a harsh place for years. We have covid, wars and mass shootings, ... . It's depressing, but I do get your point imo. Mass shooting happen much more often (as far as I am aware) in the USA and that's imo because weapons are far to easy to buy. Sadly you'll never stop every shooting, but making it significantly harder to buy weapons will prevent some of them. Every human life counts!

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well the world is in a harsh place for years. We have covid, wars and mass shootings, ... . It's depressing, but I do get your point imo. Mass shooting happen much more often (as far as I am aware) in the USA and that's imo because weapons are far to easy to buy. Sadly you'll never stop every shooting, but making it significantly harder to buy weapons will prevent some of them. Every human life counts!

It is indeed sad that lobbyists (backed by Capitalists) have put profits over human life (regardless of how immoral their industry is) and they seem to have a stronghold on the decision and law making in the USA.

It's very sad that it is very unlikely that this shooting will change anything too. Yet another statistic that will be ignored, despite the suffering of the victims and their communities and close ones.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed sad that lobbyists (backed by Capitalists) have put profits over human life (regardless of how immoral their industry is) and they seem to have a stronghold on the decision and law making in the USA.

It's very sad that it is very unlikely that this shooting will change anything too. Yet another statistic that will be ignored, despite the suffering of the victims and their communities and close ones.

Don't forget, the shootings, COVID, climate, etc all let the evangelicals masturbate over their end times.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Sick to my fucking stomach right now. And the shooter is still out there.
What the fuck. I didn't know that. It's going to be a tense few hours/days/weeks.

(I'm not suggesting I'm in danger, I'm 10 miles away, but just like with Dorner, you know this piece of trash is around here among 3 million people and could easily kill again. Or like with Dorner a few cops might just light up a random car for having the gall to drive near their car.)

Google maps literally says "route may be affected by Monterey Park shooting."

This is America. A map and directions app is warning us that we may be late because of a mass shooting.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if it's because it's such an early hour, or more depressing reasons, but this is weirdly underreported right now

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
9 killed, according to the L.A. Times:

Nine people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a dance club in Monterey Park on Saturday night, according to law enforcement sources and witnesses.

The suspect is male. It was unclear if a suspect was in custody.

www.latimes.com

Authorities identify 72-year-old man as suspected gunman in Lunar New Year mass shooting

A deadly mass shooting inside a Monterey Park dance studio led authorities to Torrance on Sunday, where the suspected gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a strip mall parking lot.

Last edited:

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
These semi-auto rifle type weapons are very efficient for indiscrimate mag dumping with little to no training.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
It's the guns. But unfornately the American people just can't seem to vote for a federal majority that will support passing stricter gun legislation by bypassing silly filibuster rules.

It feels like this will happen forever..... :(

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
I was a few miles away from the area and was wondering why there were so many emergency vehicles barreling through the streets. Now I know.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Truly disgusting. Barely a peep by media outlets at all. Also, reading the shooter is STILL at large.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even fathom how people directly affected by this are feeling right now. Hope this awful person is caught ASAP.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Updated article: 10 killed, 10 injured, suspect still at large:

Ten people were killed and at least 10 others were injured when a gunman opened fire at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park on Saturday night, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

There was scant information on the suspect: Male and still at large. There is no known motive, nor a description of the shooter.

Firefighters pronounced 10 of the victims dead at the scene, Meyer said. At least 10 others were transported to numerous local hospitals, and their conditions range from stable to critical.

www.latimes.com

Authorities identify 72-year-old man as suspected gunman in Lunar New Year mass shooting

A deadly mass shooting inside a Monterey Park dance studio led authorities to Torrance on Sunday, where the suspected gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a strip mall parking lot.

Last edited:

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
At large? Good fucking lord.

I used to live around the area, there are a lot of Lunar New Year celebrations happening all over Southern California tomorrow too. If this is racially motivated at all (and even if it isn't), just about any of those celebrations are a target. And then there's always the risk of copycat assholes in the wake of all this.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I know some folk who were out in LA last night, hope they're OK.

This is just awful stuff. Hope they nab the shooter.

RIP to the dead, may their souls and survivors find respite, justice, and consideration. 🙏

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Fucking hell. This shit is depressing and infuriating. Mass shootings should not be a normalized thing. Hopefully they catch the piece of shit responsible. Rest in peace to those killed and I hope the injured pull through.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They better fucking find this piece of shit.
This is horrible.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
uhhh it's the #1 headline on both nbcnews.com and cnn.com right now so i have no idea what you're talking about

Now turn on the actual CNN network and see what they're covering.

(You don't have to. I'll tell you: it's not this. The point is that mainstream news covers mass shootings less than they did 10 years ago and less than they did 10 years before that unless the number is very high. That's a fact.)

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
These semi-auto rifle type weapons are very efficient for indiscrimate mag dumping with little to no training.

Yes. Assuming it's an AR-15(it usually is), they were designed to kill people as efficiently as possible. And they were very well designed.

There are over 20 million AR-15s in circulation in this country, and more are sold every day.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Fucking awful news to wake up to

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Now turn on the actual CNN network and see what they're covering.

(You don't have to. I'll tell you: it's not this. The point is that mainstream news covers mass shootings less than they did 10 years ago and less than they did 10 years before that unless the number is very high. That's a fact.)
When there is a mass shooting every other week and nobody does squat about it, is it even news anymore?
Seems to me that America has just given up.